PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown Belongs to 121!

Ricksta
06-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Rally, Mayhem, Battlecry: The Triple Crown.

121 won Battlecry with 190 and 311.

After qualifying third and being picked by 190, we, along with 311, almost lost in the quarters due to an incomplete battery hookup. But after fixing that little problem we went through the semi's with no problem.

Then came finals. This was an important match-up. 311, national finalist, and us, 121 UTC champs, all wanted a piece of 173. They had been bragging that they would win UTC from the beginning.

Then came nationals, where we did very well. We lost our divison finals by inches. Battlecry comes and this was our chance to prove once and for all that 121 could have a chance against RAGE.

Now onto the Battlecry finals. We lost the first match because our partner broke down. The second match we dominated with 190 to score many balls in one of our 2 goals. Then came the last match.

This match was possibly the most exciting of my life. I will never forget it. Rage was with 237, a 2 goal grabber. We were with WPI.

They started off by grabbing 2 goals and anchoring them in our zone. We got some of the balls that 237 tried to knock away from us. After dumping our set of balls I decided to try to steal RAGE's goal. They had already dumped once. Our driver proceded over to rage and bumped them. Rage's arm was up which changed its center of gravity completely. THIS CAUSED THEM TO FALL OVER. The crowd went crazy. Rage was near our homezone so our driver thought we should get some more points. He pushed them into our zone. The crowd went crazy even more.

We then retrieved Rage's goal which had some balls in it. 237 tried their hardest to play defense, but failed. We ended the match with 3 robots, 3 goals, and 29 balls. We shut out RAGE 89-0. I think this is the greatest margin of victory this year

I will be adding some pics and possibly movies of how that match went.

RobZeuge
06-15-2002, 09:08 PM
You should chill out.

Rob

STonn
06-15-2002, 09:10 PM
Please....

~Synthia

Joel J
06-15-2002, 09:24 PM
Ricksta121, you were a really cool person when we talked at battlecry today...why must you be so disagreeable on these forums?

Jestin McCarthy
06-15-2002, 10:21 PM
You guys have a great robot, WE ALL KNOW THAT!!!! But do you really want teams to get pist off at you because you rub every win their face? I don't think so. You can't let your emotions get to you Ricsksta121. Remember you may be talking on your behalf, but you represent your whole team. And by the way, congrats. We thought we had a chance against you guys when we beat you in the quarter finals, but the best robot came out on top. Hope to see you guys soon. Just keep the emotions on the battle field. IM TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE!!!!!

Jestin

ColleenShaver
06-15-2002, 10:41 PM
Not defending the way Ricksta may have said it.. but I think he was just trying to get across the excitement of not only being victorious at Battlecry, but beating the #1 seeded alliance which contained a National Champion.

And that's nothing to say for the road to that final.. which including a lot of dumb luck, bad luck, and skill to make it work. Our robot even got torn down the middle through it all, but we pulled together and made it happen. That final could have belonged to anyone, and it went our way after a tough run from both alliances. We're just a little excited.

The 237 lead alliance was a formidable challenger, and they played some great rounds. If it was easy it wouldn't have been this much fun!

We congratulate them on their great efforts.. and we want to send out a major thanks to the folks of 121, 311, 151 because without any of your support we may not have made it through those elim matches.

Battlecry was great fun... BC4 isn't too far away either :P

Kyle Hill
06-15-2002, 10:53 PM
Darn.. now I really wish the rest of our team had gone.. :rolleyes:

Good job (and mad props to) 121, 190, and the 311 delegates!!!! Keep it rolling into next year.

Kyle Fenton
06-15-2002, 11:16 PM
Let me just say that Rick, is a very unique individual. He usually gives a little to much information in these forums. In real life, he is a pretty popular person. I have talked to him on several occasions, but after a while I just quit.
Personally I find his postings funny, but I am sure some people might find them assaulting.
The best thing is if you don't want to hear the "glorious battles" of 121, then I suggest to ignore his post. Or write a similar positive post about the discussion.

BattleCry was the best. 35 of the best North East Teams. And it came down to an exciting quarters, semis, and finals. It was all cool.

I will be posting some pictures very soon.

fast frank
06-15-2002, 11:16 PM
congrats 121, 190 and 311.

i don't know what was wrong with us, but we sucked. we qualified 14th and we weren't picked by anyone. we had to be randomly put into an alliance. at mayhem, we qualified last and we were the first pick! anyway, we lost in the eighth finals (before the quarter finals) at least the modifications we made to our drive system worked, we didn't have a single failure.

thank you to team # 190 for hosting such a great competition and letting us attend. it was a lot of fun.

did anyone notice that all 3 teams from new york (271 bay shore, 311 east islip, and 871 west islip) all came from the town of islip? also, all the team #'s end in "1"

Jestin McCarthy
06-15-2002, 11:19 PM
Hey Kyle do you have a video of BC3 like you did last year? if so ill buy one off you. Last years was great.

Stephanie
06-15-2002, 11:26 PM
Congratulations on your accomplishment!

Jessica Boucher
06-15-2002, 11:30 PM
Wow, haven't posted in a while....

But calling the first 3 competitions of the season "the triple crown"....gives it a sense of finality. There's still RiverRage (FIRST's oldest post-competition) and Bash at the Beach....among many other smaller competitions around...

Congrats to everyone who participated...I wish I could have come, but there were things in the way...

-Jessica B

Kyle Fenton
06-15-2002, 11:30 PM
Yes I did make a video of the entire competition @ BattleCry III. This year I shot is closer, so the video will be a little bigger than last year. I will try to get to coppying as soon as I can. Another person also requested it, but I cannot guarantee anything this week. I have finals comming up.

D.Stephenson
06-16-2002, 08:46 AM
i did notice that all the nwe york teams ended in 1 (i'm on team 871-west islip) i wasn't there yesterday does anyone know how they did?:)

EIROBOTICS86
06-16-2002, 09:46 AM
I just heard we won witch is really cool but i wasnot there so i did not see it. We had new drivers and a new pit crew.

Ricksta
06-16-2002, 10:48 AM
listen everybody, my first post describes what happens and thats all. I don't think there is anything wrong with that post.

the reason I call ralley, mayhem, and battlecry the triple crown is because after ralley 2 weeks later came mayhem, and 2 weeks after that came battlecry.

Greg Perkins
06-16-2002, 10:49 AM
Hey the greatest feat of all at battlecry was when 190's chassis experienced a catastrophic failure and split in half!!! one of our gracious pit crew members provided pop-rivets and he jerry-rigged 190's chassis back together. it stood the stress of 237 pulling and 173 pulling. :D
anyways, i have always liked 237, they are a awsome team, but i have always liked 190, so i was at a kinda stalemate for me.

Congrats, 190, 311, and 121!!!:D

Badjokeguy

Renzorocks
06-16-2002, 11:32 AM
i just wanted to say..CONGRATULATIONS! 121, 190, and 311. that last match was the best match i've seen this year...i don't think it could have gone any better for you. you guys have an amazing robot and deserved the win!

ragelax
06-16-2002, 11:44 AM
First of all, i hope you realize that your win at the New england Regionals was mostly in the hands of team 69, hyper, who was obviously the strong team on your alliance. Second of all, your win at battlecry was pathetic! You won in violation of the dq rule which states that you may not intentionally tip another teams robot! That is exactly what you did, and it's really nothing to be proud of, whatever happened to gracious profesionalism? And last, you are not the "robot to beat" 173 picked up the national championship, not u, so no matter what you say, you are not the best in the nation, you are not the best in the northeast, and you were not the best at battlecry! I am disturbed that such a malicious act went unpunished byt he judges, but there is nothing that i can do about that but laugh at you.

Jon K.
06-16-2002, 11:48 AM
Ragelax you took the words out of my mouth

Kyle Fenton
06-16-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by ragelax
First of all, i hope you realize that your win at the New england Regionals was mostly in the hands of team 69, hyper, who was obviously the strong team on your alliance. Second of all, your win at battlecry was pathetic! You won in violation of the dq rule which states that you may not intentionally tip another teams robot! That is exactly what you did, and it's really nothing to be proud of, whatever happened to gracious profesionalism? And last, you are not the "robot to beat" 173 picked up the national championship, not u, so no matter what you say, you are not the best in the nation, you are not the best in the northeast, and you were not the best at battlecry! I am disturbed that such a malicious act went unpunished byt he judges, but there is nothing that i can do about that but laugh at you.

We did not tipped you. You just fell over. I watch the video again and again. We basically nudge you, and you just fell over. Heck Kevin was actually going for the goal when he made the nudge. What I am thinking is the you CG was way out to the point that any robot could just bang you and fell over. And banging into robots is legal. If you do not believe me I have video of the incident, and I can post it if you want.

Congratulations on winning the national championship, the SBLI regional, and being finalist in UTC and BattleCry. However that doesn't give you the right to say our win was pathetic. We won fair and square.

Jon K.
06-16-2002, 12:05 PM
we have video of our own that says other wise from our viedographers stand point it lokked very intentional and it looked like you guys were not even facingthe goal but our robot and after somepeople on our team heard some people on your team say something to the affect of yes it worked we tipped them so dont even begin to say that it wasnt intentional and you guys have a history of cheap shots namely when you had that tipping device and you intentionally went around tipping people

Greg Perkins
06-16-2002, 12:24 PM
173, it was a fair tip, you should accept that and move on, at least you didnt break your arm off. be gracious and couteous and take it easy!!!

Badjokeguy

Renzorocks
06-16-2002, 01:00 PM
can anyone post a video of the last match?

ColleenShaver
06-16-2002, 01:36 PM
Let's everyone calm down a bit.. emotions are high for everyone because there was such tough competition to get to the point of finals at Battlecry.. but like every other competition, it's supposed to be a fun time for everyone to play with their robots and try out new things if they like.

Intent or not, it was NEVER discussed in strategy at all the concept of tipping 173 or anyone over. We chose 121 as our partner because we felt we had the most options strategically with them. Besides being an awesome ball grabber, they are strong and can fight for goals when necessary (and they are the only ones to physically steal a goal from us by breaking our cable right off in mayhem!!). We built a strong alliance and built fair play strategies. Integrity is a very important element on our team, so we pick and choose our partners with similar standards.

During that last match, to be honest, I felt the tip wasn't intentionial for if nothing else but one reason: 121 was going in the direction of Rage and their goal-in-tow front first. If it was their intention to tip, they wouldn't have stopped to turn around and face their goal grabber at the goal. But they did. And as a coach I thought "Smart Play!" I hadn't even had the chance to yell "grab their goal" and they tried. Misaim, misfire, whatever, they hit 173 and 173 fell over. 121 and 311 were both using rookie drivers and honest mistakes were made. I never heard anyone on 121 say "our plan worked" or anything of the sort. I'm not saying the didn't, but I am saying that it was not our alliance's plan.

I've personally felt the pain of a tip by 121 in the crucial part of a competition (read: 1997 New England Regional quarterfinals). It's hard, and it's a tough way to lose, especially when it brings the crowd to their feet. But it happens.

173 had a great robot this year, and also a great alliance. We got ripped in half, and even after being shut off, people kept pullng. Our control system got pulled out in everything. The pulling was intentional, the ripping was not. We did what we had to do and made it work. 173: the hit was intentional, the tip was not.

And i'll refrain from comment about whoever the "you're win at new england..." comment was directed at. I know it wasn't us, but that was a low blow. All three team on every alliance were very important. Winning or losing, no one can do it alone, not matter how strong of a robot you have.

Sorry if my point wasn't as clear as I'd like, I'm already late for work

Kyle Fenton
06-16-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by jk2005
we have video of our own that says other wise from our viedographers stand point it lokked very intentional and it looked like you guys were not even facingthe goal but our robot and after somepeople on our team heard some people on your team say something to the affect of yes it worked we tipped them so dont even begin to say that it wasnt intentional and you guys have a history of cheap shots namely when you had that tipping device and you intentionally went around tipping people

Well the nudge was intentional, we wanted to block you and get the goal from you, but 173 falling over was completely unexpected. Besides, what other cheap shots have we had in the past? Our 97' year, we had a flipper on our robot, that tipped many teams over, but was all completely legal back then.

I may post some video later,

Look I am not trying to diss Rage. Rage is a good team, that built a good robot this year. Heck we were even considering you for an alliance partner. I thought we put the whole UTC argument behind us. Lets see, if we can not start another argument.

But I have to say Calm down, you got finalist, that is a very high and honorable position. Really I don't know what you are complaining about.

And for the record and off the record, flipping or intentionally hurting a robot was never part of our plan.

Jessica Boucher
06-16-2002, 02:07 PM
Everyone-

This is astonishing. This bickering is one of the things that deter people from the boards.

All of you...step back and read your post from the viewpoint of an outsider. PR-wise, how does your post make your team look? You can tell the people who realize how their posts reflect their team, since they are well-written, calm and objective. Thats all.

-Jessica B

Steve Prairie
06-16-2002, 02:16 PM
...::sigh::.. i didn't want to reply/acknowledge this thread but...

This thread is built by posts that are the opinion of the posters...[B]NOT[B] the opinion of the teams involved (given the reaction to ricksta's original opinion and ragelax's reply)...

I personally don't agree with most of what ricksta posted (orignially and edited), but I don't need to act like a sore loser or an elitest in a post on a public forum over a postseason comp.

Chill out and remember that FIRST is like a bunch of corporations and consumers... you won't get far if everyone thinks of you as the bad apples.

p.s. Thanks to 190/WPI for hosting BC3... its getting better each year.

-Steve
Team 173

fast frank
06-16-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by colleen-t190
We chose 121 as our partner because we felt we had the most options strategically with them. Besides being an awesome ball grabber, they are strong and can fight for goals when necessary (and they are the only ones to physically steal a goal from us by breaking our cable right off in mayhem!!).

i believe that was us at mayhem that pulled your claw off, but i'm not sure. i know that we pulled you up onto your side and then the goal came with us and you fell back down, later i learned that you claw fell off and i though that was a result of our match.

also, i don't think 173 RAGE owns all the bragging rights from nationals, 71 does. i know that we are fully capable of beating you with a decent partner. we did it on the einstein field at nationals in case you don't remember. it was 71 that won the nationals for you. don't get me wrong, you guys have a great robot even though it's been practically the same for the last 4 years. it's a pretty universal design i guess. i just hope that next year's game is so different that you will have to start over and build a completely new robot.

Tom Schindler
06-16-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by fast frank

also, i don't think 173 RAGE owns all the bragging rights from nationals, 71 does. i know that we are fully capable of beating you with a decent partner. we did it on the einstein field at nationals in case you don't remember. it was 71 that won the nationals for you.

the 271-177 alliance beat 173 and someone else on Newton..... but i would have to say that 173 definitely deserves the national championship... with just 71, there would have been no balls being played, that would be a serious detriment to the team... and if you remember, RAGE had to wtih the last match of hte finals wtihout 71, they did it with their other ally... so it was DEFINITELY a team effort in florida for the RAGE alliance.

On a ligher note - congrats to the 121-190-311 alliance, you guys had a great team team effort.... anyone have any specifics on what happened to 190's frame???

Tom

Kyle Fenton
06-16-2002, 04:25 PM
I forgot to also congratulate the Battle Cry Star winners. Team 177 give an excellent speech on their mentor, and it seems he did a lot of work to deserve it.

nick-190
06-16-2002, 04:53 PM
Well when the frame was built there was a ball collector in that spot. Believe it or not we were going to have the capability to pick up balls. Well at nationals that tower was taken off. Those who went to Virgina and San Jose would have seen it. Since we did that we lost the strenght in the front of our robot which forced it to break into two piece.
Again a great deal of thanks nedds to go out to team 151 for helping us put that back together.

raginwitdariz
06-16-2002, 05:46 PM
All i have to say its that if team 121 has to knock us over to win, they did that. If that is the only way that they can beat us though, that is pretty sad. Also, you guys blammed the loss of your first round on your alliance, all i have to say about that is, if you guys are as good as you say you are, you shouldn't need any other robot, you should be able to take care of it all on your own.

Kyle Fenton
06-16-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by raginwitdariz
All i have to say its that if team 121 has to knock us over to win, they did that. If that is the only way that they can beat us though, that is pretty sad. Also, you guys blammed the loss of your first round on your alliance, all i have to say about that is, if you guys are as good as you say you are, you shouldn't need any other robot, you should be able to take care of it all on your own.

What kind of BS is this. I am not trying to be mean, or anything, but do I have to repeat myself.

1. It was never in our strategy to tip you over, YOU JUST FELL.

2. We never blamed WPI for anything, sure it was unfortunate that it didn't work our first quarter finals, but hey all robots experience power failures in unexpected times. We were quite honored to be partnered with 190 and 311.

3. We did graciously win the UTC championship by not flipping you.

4. We do had a numerous amount of strategies (none involving harm to 173 & co.) to go against you.

And you call us ungracious, calling us liars and cheaters on public forum, how gracious is that?

Look I tried to be a gracious as I possible can, I was hoping that both teams would drop this, but you have to set the record straight, I don't want teams to have a negative feeling towards us, or anyone else for that matter. And sometimes that means you have to take a more defensive position. All and all, please, if you have nothing good to say, than donít say it.

Now I agree with Steve, no one here represents their team or their sponsor, all actions are on the person. Rick, while he might make some suggest remarks doesn't deserve this much negative criticism. Accept the outcome, and drop this frivols bickering. Please, I thought that after UTC dispute that it all ended in wasted disk space, and benefited nobody. I don't like writing this, but I just want to end this NOW! Please

Elgin Clock
06-16-2002, 07:32 PM
I will try to be civil here!

An "accidental" tipping of the robot I can understand and maybe even forgive but why did the drivers of 121 feel it necessary to push 173's (Rage) robot when they were down??? That was just unecessary!

One thing I am glad about is that so many people have so many opinions on this issue. Thank you for everyone's understanding and compassion towards all teams involved including but not limited to, team 173 who took the fall and also team 190 who basically split apart at the seams. I was very glad to see team 190 back out on the field after thier incident.

So many emotions lead to so much trouble if you act upon them, so let's just chill out!

Thank you 173 and 155 for an awesome alliance at Battlecry! It was definately a learning expierience!

On a side note, maybe this will encourage all teams involved in the formentioned incidents to sign up for Bash @ the Beach in October for a rematch???

Also no matter what happened this year at Battlecry I hope to see all team there next year and to put this all behind us - a stament I realize is more easier said than done but we are all part of the FIRST family and we can do anything we put our minds to!

Joel J
06-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Its weird that this is happening again. I actually expected that all our members would just ignore this thread, as they knew how much of a "jerk" Rick comes across as in the majority of his posts...whether he means to, or not. Guess I was mistaken...

I was driving the robot when we got "nudged" and "fell" over. I was just as angry as anyone else, but I didn't resort to venting that anger on these forums (atleast I hope I didn't).

Winning a tournament is just that, winning a tournament. Whether or not you think the winners deserve it is purely your opinion. If your opinion is not good and you share it publicly, it usually ends up in a brawl. Brawls usually do nothing but hurt both parties. So make sure when you share your opinion that it is a good one, or one that won't result in a brawl. The lack of true dialogue is the difference between our society and the one of our forefathers.

If a man wins 1000 times and then loses to someone, is that person better? If a man loses 1000 times, but turns around and beats the best there is, is that person now the best there is? The thing is you never can really tell. Greatness isn't something you gain or lose, its just something you strive for. [Edit: A good example of striving for greatness the right way is team 175: BUZZ. They are always there for others and put up with being picked on by others (heck, I am guilty of this). In fact, they take it with a stride. They sometimes brag about their successes, but that is to be expected with anyone.]

We had a good season in 2002, probably our best ever and I don't want to ruin it by having our team's reputation go down the drain. I want to be able to come back next year and win or lose stay in the good graces of the competing teams.

fast frank, I can't believe how much you dislike us, but I won't comment on your post, as I see the possible reason for it.

This post is deviating from its true purpose, so I will stop. Please, let's stop giving fuel to this issue, so it will burn out .. I personally don't think its worth it.

Congratulations to all winners, as winning is never _that_ easy.

BTW .. RAGE members, do you think Mr. Nystrom would be happy if he read your comments?

Elgin Clock
06-16-2002, 08:13 PM
Don't be too hard on your teammates Joel.

After all, this is a forum for discussing all aspects of FIRST, even the downright nitty gritty ones.

Opinions are like brains, everybodyís got em just some people use them better then others! There are some things I have resented saying on these boards in the past as well!

I know that those finals @ Battlecry hurt but I agree with you Joel, treat is as water under the bridge, BUT let's also learn from these valuable experiences and become better persons because of them!

BTW It was nice to finally meet you at BC3. Good luck in the future and I hope if anything happened to the robot, It is repairable!

ColleenShaver
06-16-2002, 08:18 PM
Great post Joel.. well said..

And to 237-- 190 will be at Bash once again.. we had an awesome time last year and look forward to sporting the beach apparel and having some fun again.

I encourage all the teams that can to sign up.. the CT teams put on a great competition and a fun 'party' afterwards (at least they did last year, hopefully again this year).

Our next stop, I believe, is River Rage in Sept. And 190 will be in a more stable two pieces by then (by mid-week actually..). Because when we put the robot back into one piece in under 5 minutes, not too much 'alignment' time was taken so the two sides aren't even, so I don't think all 4 wheels even touch the ground at once (or all four anchors for that matter, as you can see when we were being pulled off them at points in the elims).

Looking forward to River Rage...

And oh yeah, team 271: our cable actually broke 2-3 times at Mayhem. The first couple it broke in the middle because we believe it was grinding on something in the robot. Not to say you didn't pull hard.. (hey, you tipped us on our side and dragged us across the field, we know you have strength ;-)) But 121 took a running start and ripped the goal right where the hook attached, the part of the cable that never touches or grinds against anything. You've got a strong robot though, we hope to play with/against you at RiverRage and Bash. :)

Erin Rapacki
06-16-2002, 08:23 PM
As an outsider reading these posts I can tell how easy it is for somebody to form ill opinions of the teams involved by reading what their members have said about the final match. However, I will not do that, and I'm glad that people like Joel are redirecting the purpose of this thread. 121, you have a reason to be proud of yourself, you won three post season competitions and UTC. RAGE, you had a great year too, you won LI amd I was happy to see another UTC team be part of the National Championship allience. And because you guys had great robots and alliences this year, that is why the finals at Battlecry III were so fun to watch. Nobody can win everything, and the game this year did involve a lot of dumb luck in addition to everything else. Dean said it at kickoff that he expected a lot of bumping and some ramming, we all designed our bots not to tip over so easily, but it happens to the best of us. So lets all just step back, remember the fun times, and keep in mind that there is always next year.

ByE

erin

P.S. Yes I am aware that I shouldn't be doing cartwheels while going up to recieve awards. But I know you would have laughed if I fell. C-ya!

Andy Grady
06-16-2002, 08:28 PM
Ya know, this is getting rediculous. I mean, I'll be the first to admit that I have an ego, but I try to reserve it as much as I can in the spirit of gracious professionalism...something we are seeing less of on these boards as of late. You guys gotta understand that frankly there is NO best team...any team can win at any time with the correct given strategy, situation, and luck.

As for the push/tip at Battlecry...sorry Rage, its in the rules, and in my opinion, it was legal, however...the pushing rage into the endzone eventhough the match was pretty much over at that point...in my opinion, that may have been a little much...of course thats my opinion, and people can argue it anyway they want.

The only thing that truely miffs me about this whole deal, is reading these boards and seeing people just make their own teams look horrible by saying things that just sound so egotistical.

C'mon guys...lets show a little more respect for each other please.

Thanx,
Andy Grady

fast frank
06-16-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Joel J.
fast frank, I can't believe how much you dislike us, but I won't comment on your post, as I see the possible reason for it.

honestly, i do not dislike you guys. i'll be the first in line to say that you have a great robot. it's a simple design that's very effective and could have been adapted to the last few games. why change it if it works, right? i was just stating that i knew it was possible to beat you, we did it with 177. not to say that we haven't been beaten by you a couple of times. it was just from my standpoint as driver when i faced 71, i felt helpless. before that i thought and felt like we couple push anyone. slowly, but surely, 71 pused us 20 something feet into the goal zone. if you've seen the video, it's pittiful. it's just that up until then we have never faced 71, or 66 and they just sloughtered (sp?) us. 71 pushed us all the way back and then 66 pushed us sideways which snapped the welds on both of our wheels. and then in the match that was you and 71, you didn't pick up balls which is what your robot is designed to do, which led me to believe that you didn't deserve the championship. I WAS WRONG. you did deserve it.

Greg Perkins
06-16-2002, 09:02 PM
"As for the push/tip at Battlecry...sorry Rage, its in the rules, and in my opinion, it was legal, however...the pushing rage into the endzone eventhough the match was pretty much over at that point...in my opinion, that may have been a little much...of course thats my opinion, and people can argue it anyway they want."

yea, and when 173 released its tether to score an extra 10 points, that wasnt a little much:confused: ?!! i mean even though you got dq'd for it, i believe that that was unjust for you to beat them into the ground! whatever, its over now, we will all have to wait to defend our title at riverrage!

take it easy guys, we dont want any "brawls" happenin!

Badjokeguy

Joel J
06-16-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by badjokeguy
yea, and when 173 released its tether to score an extra 10 points, that wasnt a little much:confused: ?!! i mean even though you got dq'd for it, i believe that that was unjust for you to beat them into the ground! whatever, its over now, we will all have to wait to defend our title at riverrage!

take it easy guys, we dont want any "brawls" happenin!

Badjokeguy To tell you the truth badjokeguy, it probably was a little bit much. BUT did you see what happened as a result of us doing that? We lost the match (0-23) because I let my wish to further secure our win get in the way of rationality (would've been 31 - 23, not exactly beating anyone into the ground).

BTW, I am beating myself up in this post, no one else.

Todd Derbyshire
06-16-2002, 09:45 PM
Hey guys Battlecry was great...umm...actually kinda disappointing for us result wise but great in entertainment. Ok first there was the mass destruction of WPI in the first finals I thought that was kinda cool and thought the finals was over. I guess I was wrong 121 comes back and wins the next one oh well. Third match controversy erupts and here in lies the truth from the outsiders stand point the score at this point 190 controlled two goals and a load of 121's balls while 237 was attacking them. On the other side you have RAGE with a goal scooping balls up like no tomorrow but they only scooped in at this time one load which is around 12. So if I can calculate this correctly 121 and 190 is winning 35 to 22 at this point. Okay so there is no possible way for RAGE to win at this point by scoring balls and it was clearly obvious to at this point. So everybody in the stands begins to think ok 121 is going to get more balls or something right could have been a logical move. And here in lies the truth of the situation 121 bolts down the end of the field with NO intent of getting the goal they never even hit the goal they went straight for the robot now I know its in the rulebook that you can bang but it also says that charging from 15 feet out is against the rules under malicious intent. 121 you have a great robot you were going to win anyways don't even try to comeback and say,"Iwas worried about their tethers and we had to compensate for them because 190 has a tether and your fast enough to get into your zone. What you did at Battlecry has cemented your team as dirty players once again echoing the days of the tip bot (yeah it was legal but you won your matches by that sad) oh yeah the inexcusable act of dragging them into your endzone can only be viewed as a smack in the face to 173. I would take no pride in what you did this week at Battlecry for your actions have made you now Public Enemy #1 on many team's hit list. For when Riverage comes around I hope you sign up because there are some grudges I would love to have settled before the season ends.

P.S. This is not a rant but what I saw from my viewpoint of the match personally I am a little biased due to the history my team has had with the Rhode Warriors dating back to Rumble at the Rock and such on. But when I saw what happened this weekend alot of the conversation on the way home was about 121's actions and how they have returned to their dirty tricks again.

Jon K.
06-16-2002, 09:48 PM
joel you are right mr. nye would be ashamed of us and the way we acted. but i should have been a little more tasteful w/ my words and bitten my tongue no matter haw agry and upset i was. and joel you need to right a book or something with all of your words of wisdom like If a man wins 1000 times and then loses to someone, is that person better? If a man loses 1000 times, but turns around and beats the best there is, is that person now the best there is? but i am sorry for all of the hateful and distasteful things i have said in this thread. i wish there was some way i could take it back but i cant. once again i am very sorry to 121 and anyone else i may have hurt in writing what i have and 121 you have been great opponents all year and congrats on your win

Todd Derbyshire
06-16-2002, 09:59 PM
Riksta do us all a favor and take a vacation from the board because every time it seems you post you always are starting something. Your bot is beatable what happened the first time let me inform you so that you can get some practice in. You grabbed a goal first and then tried to load balls. While what happened next TRIBE comes over and blocks your ball collecting system oops I guess that was a mistake and strategy and all of that ball collecting in 25 seconds did a lot of good huh. Admit it! you people pushed RAGE over because they scare the living hell out of you and this was your one time to shine in the spotlight. Your one time to come out of the shadows. Well congrats now your the most hated team in FIRST again.

Kyle Fenton
06-16-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by jk2005
joel you are right mr. nye would be ashamed of us and the way we acted. but i should have been a little more tasteful w/ my words and bitten my tongue no matter haw agry and upset i was. and joel you need to right a book or something with all of your words of wisdom like but i am sorry for all of the hateful and distasteful things i have said in this thread. i wish there was some way i could take it back but i cant. once again i am very sorry to 121 and anyone else i may have hurt in writing what i have and 121 you have been great opponents all year and congrats on your win

Thank you very much from Joel, and all at 173. I am sorry for some of my nasty posts that I put, and I do apologize for that too. Thank you, and congratulations on being the finalist in BattleCry III.

If you are wondering, I do have a pic in the Off-season gallery of you crossing the stage.

Jon K.
06-16-2002, 10:02 PM
todd calm down a little just like everyone should do whether on rage or on any team involved we all need a little time to think about what we have said and what we shouldnt have said so i think everyone should just let this stupid thing die it is already getting old

Jon K.
06-16-2002, 10:06 PM
that is a great pic thanx for putting up. it would have been better if your bot wasnt in the way but what can ya do :p the picof rage accepting finalist trophy (http://chiefdelphi.com/forums/pictures.php?s=&action=single&picid=3018&direction=DESC&sort=date&perrow=5&trows=5&quiet=verbose)

Ricksta
06-16-2002, 10:16 PM
heres a thousand words. ill leave my posting to this.
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pictures.php?s=&action=single&picid=3017&direction=DESC&sort=date&perrow=3&trows=4&quiet=verbose

Jon K.
06-16-2002, 10:19 PM
i'll say this again like i did on the other thread you had containing this same message you need to stop doing things like this just to get a rise out of people it is immature and it makes me think that you are just doing it to get attention you should either stop posting things like this or stop posting at all. everyone should just stop replying to ricksta's posts and maybe he will finally stop

David Kelly
06-16-2002, 10:20 PM
ive seen that happen before. i didn't think it was such a big deal because it's all part of the game. robots DO tip. take this match at the buckeye regional for example.

http://www.technokats.org/movies/tipping.mov

noone showed ungratious professionalism after that match. it's only a game

Jon K.
06-16-2002, 10:32 PM
its over get over it let it go dont start that again please lets just kill all these stupid quarrals(?) and let it die already

nick-190
06-16-2002, 10:33 PM
To set things straight and hopfully come the matter down. After the match I talked with the driver from 121 and he said that he was trying for the goal. Second I did talk to the head ref and asked if he even thought of a DQ because of this. His resopse was "No, but I didn't like it." It was a tough fall just like us being split into 2 pieces (We had to miss a match in the finals because of this and almost missed the second one). Its part of the game. Just go back and look at GM17. Anyways it was a great time and a great finals. Best of luck to all those that attend future events and next year, including 121.

SharkBite
06-16-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Todd Derbyshire
Hey guys Battlecry was great...umm...actually kinda disappointing for us result wise but great in entertainment. Ok first there was the mass destruction of WPI in the first finals I thought that was kinda cool and thought the finals was over. I guess I was wrong 121 comes back and wins the next one oh well. Third match controversy erupts and here in lies the truth from the outsiders stand point the score at this point 190 controlled two goals and a load of 121's balls while 237 was attacking them. On the other side you have RAGE with a goal scooping balls up like no tomorrow but they only scooped in at this time one load which is around 12. So if I can calculate this correctly 121 and 190 is winning 35 to 22 at this point. Okay so there is no possible way for RAGE to win at this point by scoring balls and it was clearly obvious to at this point. So everybody in the stands begins to think ok 121 is going to get more balls or something right could have been a logical move. And here in lies the truth of the situation 121 bolts down the end of the field with NO intent of getting the goal they never even hit the goal they went straight for the robot now I know its in the rulebook that you can bang but it also says that charging from 15 feet out is against the rules under malicious intent. 121 you have a great robot you were going to win anyways don't even try to comeback and say,"Iwas worried about their tethers and we had to compensate for them because 190 has a tether and your fast enough to get into your zone. What you did at Battlecry has cemented your team as dirty players once again echoing the days of the tip bot (yeah it was legal but you won your matches by that sad) oh yeah the inexcusable act of dragging them into your endzone can only be viewed as a smack in the face to 173. I would take no pride in what you did this week at Battlecry for your actions have made you now Public Enemy #1 on many team's hit list. For when Riverage comes around I hope you sign up because there are some grudges I would love to have settled before the season ends.

P.S. This is not a rant but what I saw from my viewpoint of the match personally I am a little biased due to the history my team has had with the Rhode Warriors dating back to Rumble at the Rock and such on. But when I saw what happened this weekend alot of the conversation on the way home was about 121's actions and how they have returned to their dirty tricks again.

look, like we said before, the drivers were new.... its hard to keep score when you are out there..... 35 to 22 is pretty close
i wasnt at battlecry i dont know the intent of my teammates... but we have never purposely gone out with the intent to destroy another robot.... its something that happens, robots fall over... its definitly happened to us before, we get dragged of the puck in the national eliminated by a team that grabbed the top of our thirteen ft basket..... sure its dissapointing, but they disabled us so thats that... i still respect thier team

Joe Menassa
06-16-2002, 10:37 PM
Team 88 and anyone else who thinks that we meant to tip Rage over. I can absolutely guarantee you that it was not inteded. The diver was a rookie and that was surely the last thing on his mind. After it he was even distraught on the car ride home because he really did not mean to do it. Pushing 173 into our zone, ok, I will give you that, but don't cry over it. It was mainly a crowd pleaser.

I have always said that Rage is awsome, I tell this to Rick all the time, but the problem is that Rick has a big head and he doesn't know better. I really don't want people to be mad at team 121- we really are a nice team. It's ok to be mad at Rick though. If anyone wants to beat him up at the next competition just ask someone on our team to point him out. - See how nice we are.

I also don't appreciate Todd that you have a Robotics hit list.

All in all, it was a great competition and I am proud of our alliance and our new drivers.

Also- you don't have to post anything after Ricks posts. Maybe he should change his title to "a picture is worth a thousand posts"

Jon K.
06-16-2002, 10:43 PM
just let it die already its over and done with. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jon K.
06-16-2002, 10:44 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Brandon Martus
06-16-2002, 10:47 PM
Just so everyone can read this over ... and think without posting something they'll regret .. i'll close this.

if you have something thoughtful to reply .. let me know, and i'll open it up for you--- but not for a day or so.

I have gotten a handful of complaints about this thread, from both sides of the story -- so it's going to simmer for a while until people think.

If any other threads are started about this particular issue (not battlecry in general) they'll probably be closed as well.

Thanks.