PDA

View Full Version : Boolean searches

Brandon Martus
05-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Travis Hoffman asked me about boolean searches, and I wasn't sure whether or not vBulletin supported it or not -- turns out it does, unofficially. It wasn't easy to find in the options (had to turn the forums off, enter debug mode, yada yada) but it's on now. So, now you can search for things like: karthik AND singing or woody OR woodie, etc. If you want to learn more about the operators you can use, check out the full-text boolean search page (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/fulltext-boolean.html) in the mysql documentation.

Please let me know if you find any problems searching, or using any other parts of the site, now that this setting is changed.

Thanks,
Brandon

Greg Needel
05-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Ah now the mystery of why CD was off line for 5 mins is revealed. Nice job Brandon.

Brandon Martus
05-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Ah now the mystery of why CD was off line for 5 mins is revealed. Nice job Brandon.
Evidently it takes a bit more than a few minutes to do two fulltext indexes on almost 500k posts. Who knew? :)

Pat Fairbank
05-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Awesome, you can search for phrases now by enclosing them in quotes! (or was this always a feature?). Only thing is that vBulletin's highlighter highlights every word that appears in the phrase, not just the phrase itself. Oh well.

Brandon Martus
05-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Awesome, you can search for phrases now by enclosing them in quotes! (or was this always a feature?). Only thing is that vBulletin's highlighter highlights every word that appears in the phrase, not just the phrase itself. Oh well.
I believe thats a bonus to this new feature. Before it would just get all of the words, no matter if they were grouped or not. I think.

Travis Hoffman
05-09-2006, 05:45 PM
You all have me to thank for this absolutely genius request. :rolleyes: Today, my actions have....

shut down Chief Delphi for 5 minutes
helped make all your CD browsing experiences more efficient.
I rock, and I didn't even do anything. But if CD crashes because Brandon turned this feature on, it's all his fault! :D

Ha, thanks again Brandon for being so proactive and responsive to the community. This is going to save me a ton of time.

anna~marie
05-09-2006, 10:38 PM
wahoo!! thanks!!
I was wondering if CD actually had that... now it does!

Mark McLeod
05-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Brandon AND rocks

Don't need to search for that one :)

Jessica Boucher
05-10-2006, 09:16 AM
"Oh, Boolean operators! 'Blue and ones'! Good idea!"

Thanks, Brandon :)