PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a peer-to-peer network

Michael Hill
07-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi, I'm running Windows XP MCE. I've been to many FIRST events finding so many peer-to-peer networks. I'm wondering...how do I set one up with Windows XP? I've searched quite a bit, not finding much help at all. I remember Alan Anderson setting one up on his Mac on the way home from Atlanta on the bus. We had some fun...making websites, and browsing them while on a bus. Anyway, a simple tutorial or a link to a tutorial would be great. Thanks.

Jaine Perotti
07-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Is discussing peer-to-peer allowed on these forums? I know that peer-to-peer itself isn't illegal, but it can be used to do illegal things. Please be careful about what you discuss in this thread.

Michael Hill
07-26-2006, 04:18 PM
not THAT kind of peer to peer. I'm talking about a network that is a peer-to-peer network. Ad Hoc is the word I'm looking for.

Michelle Celio
07-26-2006, 04:19 PM
not THAT kind of peer to peer. I'm talking about a network that is a peer-to-peer network. Ad Hoc is the word I'm looking for.
Wireless or non wireless?

---

Errr ignore that, it should only be wireless...I'm not thinking straight today.

It depends on whether or not windows is controlling your NICs or if different software is.

Michael Hill
07-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Wireless, of course. Windows if that means I don't have to install external software.

Michelle Celio
07-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Wireless, of course. Windows if that means I don't have to install external software.
Go into the utility your computer uses to select the wireless networks, there should be a button (if you're using windows) that says "Set up a wireless network..." that wizard should do the trick for you. That's how I've always done it. If it gives you any problems PM me, I'll get on my other laptop becuase I can't walk it threw any further because I'm configured to use the cards utility on this one.

Greg Marra
07-26-2006, 04:41 PM
I wasn't able to set up a wireless ad hoc network when we decided that $2000 of laptops was the best way to replace a $20 switch to network two xboxes in Philadelphia.

It wouldn't let us bridge the connections :(

EHaskins
07-26-2006, 07:29 PM
I've spent hours trying to make windows create an ad-hoc, but I have not found any good information on it. If you find something post it or PM me.