PDA

View Full Version : 2006/2007 FVC speculation?

Billfred
07-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, after a chat with certain folks today, I hear that the FVC game for this coming season is largely designed. Anyone want to speculate as to what they could possibly create after Half-Pipe Hustle?

My theory? Lavery's more likely to see inflatable clowns in FVC size.

Greg Needel
07-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Anyone want to speculate as to what they could possibly create after Half-Pipe Hustle?

three words......"Full Pipe Hustle" :D

Billfred
07-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Two things came to mind within seconds of each other:

1) There's no way that could be spectator friendly.
2) Man, Art Dutra's mini-Triple Play robot suddenly seems more useful than ever. ;)

I wonder what would happen if some LED throwies (look around online) were incorporated into the game. They seem FVC-sized, if you could protect them a bit.

Donut
07-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Hey, would handling jello be easier for FVC than FRC? :D

Kyle Love
07-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Hopefully something with less banking and have automode integrated with the real match.

dlavery
07-29-2006, 02:41 AM
Three words: Jello the Clown
http://www.aboutfacesentertainers.com/images/clowns/jello/palus_b.jpg

Rich Kressly
07-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Greg's been crashing the meetings again...
Once we got the hang of getting one field to sit on top of another, the rest was gravy. ;)

Hey, would handling jello be easier for FVC than FRC? :D
I can hear Blair now. "The red alliance scoops up the lemon meringue mold and races across the field with time winding down..."

1) There's no way that could be spectator friendly.

Think super-human powers like x-ray vision :)

Hopefully something with less banking and have automode integrated with the real match.
Note to self. Regardless of the 90-degree incline, find out if banking is the proper term to use since this isn't an asphalt oval and turns aren't always to the left. :rolleyes:

Quiet Dave!!! You told me you'd shut up until we figured out how to incorporate the soft little bunny.

you started it Billfred
so little time, so many ways to mess with people...

Jeremiah Johnson
07-29-2006, 10:46 PM
I think paint chips would be fun to handle. Or grease. Yes, yesterday I had to dismantle a giant servo motor at work without getting paint chips in the grease between the shaft and collar.

Or, Stack Attack V(ex)2. Now that would be fun to see Vexed.

skimoose
07-30-2006, 07:53 AM

Does that mean the game pieces are Jello AND bunny pellets? :ahh:

Rich Kressly
08-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Does that mean the game pieces are Jello AND bunny pellets? :ahh:

Game pieces or NASA approved freeze-dried space snack. I can't remember exactly the way Dave said it... :yikes:

Dan Zollman
08-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Jello? Clown? Bunny? Jello bunny...an animal with a consistency similar to Jello.

Hey, I know it! Well, I think I know what the game pieces are. For a couple months I've been making fun of Chuck for his game idea, but it really IS going to be a FARMING GAME!

Also, the clown is wearing yellow. Jello, yellow. Yellow is the third color, if we didn't already know that.

Rich Kressly
09-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Kickoff is coming next week. Somebody, wake up Dave's clown ;)

JaneYoung
09-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Jello? Clown? Bunny? Jello bunny...an animal with a consistency similar to Jello.

Peeps

Rich Kressly
09-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Greg's been crashing the meetings again...
Once we got the hang of getting one field to sit on top of another, the rest was gravy. ;)

I can hear Blair now. "The red alliance scoops up the lemon meringue mold and races across the field with time winding down..."

Note to self. Regardless of the 90-degree incline, find out if banking is the proper term to use since this isn't an asphalt oval and turns aren't always to the left. :rolleyes:

Quiet Dave!!! You told me you'd shut up until we figured out how to incorporate the soft little bunny.

you started it Billfred
so little time, so many ways to mess with people...

Don't say you never got any really good game hints, and so long ago too ...

Billfred
09-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Alright, I'm thinking this might be some sort of hint. (For those that don't know, Kres was part of the GDC for this year's FVC game.)

As one of the autonomous referees in Atlanta, I can say from experience that autonomous matches were just not that exciting. There wasn't much to them--the better ones might get their one starting ball into the center goal and hopefully hit the pad.

So perhaps instead of an autonomous match, this year's game will have an element that can only be done (or done well) with the use of sensors. Call that one how you'd like.

Rick TYler
09-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Water game?

<pause for hysterical laughing>

Now that it's too late to have any impact on the game (since the announcement is Wednesday...), I'd love to see some variant of the autonomous fire-fighting games that are sometimes done for college and hobby competitions. Of course, the open flames might be a problem... how about a bright low-voltage light with a moisture sensor?

I'd love to help the students develop a 75mm Jell-O gun...

Alex Cormier
09-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Estimated time of Game release?

KathieK
09-13-2006, 06:21 AM
Well, today's the day! (I'll be checking the FIRST website all day) Do you think it will involve a clown juggling a rabbit named Jello? Stay tuned to find out what our Game Design Committee has up their sleeve! :)

Alex Cormier
09-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Just recieved an email:

Teams:

You are receiving this email as a team who has registered interest
for 2006, or as a 2005-2006 pilot season team. Our new season is beginning!

As of 12 pm EST today, you can access the new 2006 FVC Game Challenge
at our Team Resources page (http://www.usfirst.org/vex/resources/)!

Here's a breakdown of the information we have available:

- Download the entire 2006 Game Manual
- Download the 2006 Game Manual by section
- Download the Competition Tips and Best Practices and Robot Tips and
Best Practices documents
- Download the one-page 2006 Game Description
- Download the Consent and Release Form for events
- Download the 2006 Coaches' Handbook
- Download the Programming Guide
- Get programming help from Innovation First, Inc.
- Buy fields from Innovation First, Inc. and learn how to build your own
- Download this year's Game Animation
- Learn how to register your team for the 2006 season
- Find marketing materials, the FVC logo, and this year's game logo
- Download the Team Resources for the 2005 game, Half Pipe Hustle
- Learn how to post their question to be answered by this year's Game
Design Committee

We're excited about this season and are looking forward to a successful year!

Go Teams!

Rich Kressly
09-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Game on...

Alex Cormier
09-13-2006, 12:30 PM
It's a sweet looking game and i can't wait to help mentor the team and help build the robot for that bar oh and that atlas ball too. ;)

http://www.vexrobotics.com/animation/index.shtml
the animations aren't up and running yet. I can't wait for those too.

KathieK
09-13-2006, 12:34 PM
wait... I don't see any jello mentioned in the Game Manual! :) This looks like a lot of fun; can't wait to see it played out!

Jay Trzaskos
09-13-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm looking forward to mentoring the new Massena FVC team through this challenge! Way to go FVC GDC. Two thumbs way up :cool:

:EDIT: I like the team number choice in Section 4 of the maual :rolleyes: "(numerals only, i.e. 1114)." :END EDIT:

Ken Delaney 357
09-13-2006, 01:20 PM
When I click on the link. I get last year's materials. I have refreshed, cleared history, restarted the computer, tried several computers at work and yet I am still getting half-pipe hustle. Any thoughts? I am on a PC using IE. This is killing me knowing that its there and I can't get it.

KathieK
09-13-2006, 01:26 PM
When I click on the link. I get last year's materials. I have refreshed, cleared history, restarted the computer, tried several computers at work and yet I am still getting half-pipe hustle. Any thoughts? I am on a PC using IE. This is killing me knowing that its there and I can't get it.
http://www.usfirst.org/vex/resources/ is this the link you are using, Ken? you've cleared your "history" - have you cleared the browser cache?