PDA

View Full Version : pic: Dottie & Al Skierkiewicz Upper Falls, Yellowstone River

Al Skierkiewicz
08-02-2006, 10:12 AM
[cdm-description=photo]25371[/cdm-description]

Bill_Hancoc
08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
i was just there...did you go down to Teton National park too?

Jaine Perotti
08-02-2006, 10:40 AM
looks like great fun. :)

I've been to Yellowstone National Park (a LONG time ago, when I was 10 or 11 years old), and I will never forget it. I think that is one place that every American is obligated to visit at least once. It is so beautiful. I consider myself so lucky to have gotten the opportunity to travel this country.

CourtneyB
08-02-2006, 01:34 PM
i hope you guys had fun there! i went there for vacation like 8 years ago and it was awsome!
-Court-

Eugenia Gabrielov
08-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Congrats to those of you who have had the chance.

I personally haven't...so as recent travelers, do you have any fun Yellowstone tips?

Sean Schuff
08-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Nice shirt. Are you one of those mentors with more team shirts than any other type of apparel?

Me, too! :)

Sean

Al Skierkiewicz
08-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Wow,
Lot's of questions.
Yes we spent two days in the Tetons/Jackson Hole. Mountains are always overwhelming to someone from the flatlands. However the Tetons are very impressive for their stark lines and awesome beauty rising from the floor of the Jackson valley.
Best advice is to use the resources that are available when you go to a National Park. Look up ranger led walks, tours and talks. Ask for ideas at each ranger station/visitor center. By doing this, we saw a geiser erupt that the ranger hadn't seen erupt in 25 years in the park, we were told of the best place in the park to watch the sunset (Lake Butte Overlook, 800 ft. above Lake Yellowstone) and were led by a ranger off trail to a mudpot that appeared in 1973 as two little holes in the ground and today is about 30' wide and 120' down the side of the hill.
This picture is one of my favorite and resulted from a ranger suggestion. We went to the canyon early morning, (our arrival was delayed by buffalo on the road) which put the sun in front of the waterfall. We have a great picture already framed of this waterfall with a great rainbow. There was almost no one there and we didn't have to wait to get the picture right. At a later ranger lecture, we were told that this canyon, about 1500' deep, may have formed in less than 100 years due to an ancient Lake Yellowstone suddenly breaking through a dam (likely seismic related event) and washing through the softer rock below the falls. The canyon is about 26 miles long.

Bill_Hancoc
08-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Wow,
Lot's of questions.
Yes we spent two days in the Tetons/Jackson Hole. Mountains are always overwhelming to someone from the flatlands. However the Tetons are very impressive for their stark lines and awesome beauty rising from the floor of the Jackson valley.
Best advice is to use the resources that are available when you go to a National Park. Look up ranger led walks, tours and talks. Ask for ideas at each ranger station/visitor center. By doing this, we saw a geiser erupt that the ranger hadn't seen erupt in 25 years in the park, we were told of the best place in the park to watch the sunset (Lake Butte Overlook, 800 ft. above Lake Yellowstone) and were led by a ranger off trail to a mudpot that appeared in 1973 as two little holes in the ground and today is about 30' wide and 120' down the side of the hill.

I saw that same one..very kool and wierd at the same time....The tetons are amazing and that probably was one of my favorite parts of the trip...

I would suggest going on a ranger walk also...we sadly only went on one but we wish we had gone on more...the park rangers are really nice and know a lot about the park...

Here is a link to a google earth picture of the teton mt's that i took (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/Silverbullet8338/Yellowstone%20Vacation/GrandTetonMt.jpg) (sorta)

as for tips...try to go during the week....we started touring on a monday and there was very few crowds anywhere...none of the attractions were overly packed and parking want too bad either

Eric Scheuing
08-02-2006, 10:59 PM
I went to Yellowstone when I was like 4 or 5. I remember I loved the Tetons and the geysers.