PDA

View Full Version : Labview GUI

Booger
08-10-2006, 12:54 PM
has anyone tried the labview gui for the camera. I got it to work a couple of times, but it really struggles when it starts up. Pretty much everytime I start it does not recognize the camera.

So far i have...

-loaded it up in hyperterminal(all settings are correct)
-tried the java gui(works fine)
-set the labview gui to com 3, and manually typed in the firmware version(made it work both times)

but now it doesnt work. any ideas?

jerry w
08-10-2006, 07:46 PM
has anyone tried the labview gui for the camera. I got it to work a couple of times, but it really struggles when it starts up. Pretty much everytime I start it does not recognize the camera.

So far i have...

-loaded it up in hyperterminal(all settings are correct)
-tried the java gui(works fine)
-set the labview gui to com 3, and manually typed in the firmware version(made it work both times)

but now it doesnt work. any ideas?

the serial port on the camera is somewhat noise sensitive. i found that the first reset command sent to the camera is not always understood. so the software stops with an error message.
i modified one of the vi's to allow a retry after a failed reset. i now startup correctly every time.
this changed vi is "CMUcam2.vi". i inserted a while loop into the "reset camera" case structure.
if you are interested, i could send a copy of this vi by email (since i don't know how to attach a file to this forum).

jerry w

Qbranch
08-10-2006, 07:53 PM
the USB->RS-232 converters aren't that great. if you're using one you might want to try a computer which has a real rs-232 port.

also, i agree that the camera has a touchy serial port since it runs at such a high baud rate. try using a short serial cable, or a serial cable with a grounded shield.

personally i just used the black serial cable from the KOP and a serial port out the back of my good old IBM laptop.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

-Q

Booger
08-11-2006, 10:05 AM
the serial port on the camera is somewhat noise sensitive. i found that the first reset command sent to the camera is not always understood. so the software stops with an error message.
i modified one of the vi's to allow a retry after a failed reset. i now startup correctly every time.
this changed vi is "CMUcam2.vi". i inserted a while loop into the "reset camera" case structure.
if you are interested, i could send a copy of this vi by email (since i don't know how to attach a file to this forum).

jerry w

yeah i would really apreciate that. I tried to add the loop myself but i was unable to get it to work because im not very familiar with labview. :D .

My email is sk8brder343@gmail.com