PDA

View Full Version : Fundraising Issues...

IraJason
08-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Now that school's starting back up again, I've learned of some new policies at my school that apply to fundraising. Our district is getting rid of all candy and soda in our school, with the rules applying to fundraisers as well. This means that we no longer can have our well known (at our school) fundraiser of selling donuts during Midterms and Finals, but also means that we cannot sell Soda, Candy, or anything else considered non-nutritional at any fundraising events that we hold at school.

This adds to the set of rules that already prohibits any games of chance, making raffles or anything like it to be out of the question on school grounds. Our school district also does not allow sponsors for clubs with a school account for all of their funds, so until the booster club that we're working on us up and running, we really have no way to accept large scale donations and sponsorships, even if the donor or sponsor is interested.

I was wondering what other teams are doing for fundraisers that wouldn't violate these rules. I'm starting to run out of ideas, especially ones that can still be allowed to do on school grounds. And with so many clubs in our school (over 60 at least), many will start trying to do the same fundraisers. I've already been told for another club that we can't sell pretzels as many days as before because other clubs will probably need to sell pretzels at well. As you can see, fundraising is going to be an issues for a lot of clubs in my school, so I ask if any teams have any fundraisers that would be able to help us through this.

Rob2713g
08-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey,

To avoid the issue with the school holding money for the club that was received from sponsors, can the sponsor give to FIRST on your behalf. Such as by using a commitment letter.
Look Here (http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/2006/paymentterms.htm)
Good Luck!

Cynette
08-31-2006, 04:08 PM
With the issuance of our school's ban on candy, soda and the like, they published an extensive list of approved snacks. If your district has a list like that, you can still opt to sell some of those items. Some of the items on our list would still satisfy the sweet tooth. Just think beyond the pretzel! Maybe you can sell fancy dips to go with everyone elses pretzel sale. Mustard, cheese, fruit dip, chocolate sauce (low fat low sugar style) would all be yummy. Ok, now I'm hungry! :p

Billfred
08-31-2006, 04:26 PM
I can think of two right off the top of my head.

1) The robot. You've got one in the storage room. Get some poof balls and a corner goal, and make up some sort of challenge. (Whoever rounds up the most poof balls in one minute over the course of a lunch period, say, gets a T-shirt.) Batteries might become an issue, as will wear and tear, but you should be able to rack up some considerable cash this way.

2) Mini golf. It's been done before (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/25014), so build a few holes (or even one), get some balls and clubs, and let folks take a swing at things (literally).

There's plenty of ways to get the money; you've just got to be creative about it.

sanddrag
08-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Hang a tire. Mark a line far away. Charge people to throw a football through the tire. Give a good prize if they make it. You could also do basketball long shots.

SamC
08-31-2006, 04:53 PM
We do an annual spaghetti dinner for part of our fund raising. but if you are accurate in saying
Now that school's starting back up again, I've learned of some new policies at my school that apply to fundraising. Our district is getting rid of all candy and soda in our school, with the rules applying to fundraisers as well. This means that we no longer can have our well known (at our school) fundraiser of selling donuts during Midterms and Finals, but also means that we cannot sell Soda, Candy, or anything else considered non-nutritional at any fundraising events that we hold at school.

This adds to the set of rules that already prohibits any games of chance, making raffles or anything like it to be out of the question on school grounds.

Wouldn't that mean that you could sell those banned items and hold raffles and such as long as its off campus?

Jason W
08-31-2006, 04:55 PM
(This is really Allison K posting, I didn't notice Jason was signed in)

A few teams I've worked with in the past have sold glow products from This (www.extremeglow.com) company They have high quality products and fast shipping.

My team is going to try selling glow stuff at Football games this fall. It won't make a ton of money but it's easy enough that it's worth it.

~Allison

IraJason
08-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Wouldn't that mean that you could sell those banned items and hold raffles and such as long as its off campus?

Yeah, we could do that. So say if we have a spaghetti dinner like you do at a restaurant or someplace that isn't at school, then we could sell those items. For raffles it gets a bit tricky though. We wouldn't be able to sell tickets in school, which would be the easiest way to get a lot of people to buy tickets. We also wouldn't be able to put up posters advertising a raffle out of school, because it's not a school approved fundraiser and all posters must be approved by the activities director before being posted. We were thinking of doing larger community raffles for bigger prizes, but we're waiting until we get our booster club up so we have an organization that can handle the funds from it.

I love the mini-golf picture though Billfred. It was actually another one of my teammates that set that all up in our lab, so it's entirely possible to do. We made the course out of unused parts for the robot and a small pratice green that our Tech teacher uses in his room during his spare time.

Josh Murphy
08-31-2006, 05:41 PM
We do the rubber wristbands that say "Chiefdelphi.com" on one side and "Team 47" on the other you could do something like that. You could also sell team t shirts or make bumper stickers. Dog tags would also be a good idea, maybe a car wash?. See if your school will allow you to accept money for your team advertising a company. For example: Say GM, Chrysler, Ford or someone else gives you so much support as in money or engineers put thier company on your team shirts or even the robot just an idea to get by the rules maybe? :) Good Luck :) :) :)

amos229
08-31-2006, 06:52 PM
The frozen food company Schawnn's will work with grtoup in a fundraiser that allows the team to go out and sell the products and then schawnns delivers the food. I am not sure on other details but i know my group has considered this for this fall.

Andrew Blair
08-31-2006, 06:56 PM
I think PA has new legislation regarding this- Our candy and pop is gone (including the wonderful Hershey's fundraisers). As far as raffle tickets go, I think in PA you must be 18 or older to sell them. We used to have a raffle, and parents had to sell the tickets. But I think we originally made considerable money.

Athleticgirl389
08-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Our school is doing the same thing. Now I am not sure how that is really gonna affect our fundraising, but I know it will affect clubs such as the marching band and football club and so on. Although our school cares more about those clubs and what not than Robotics in our school *tear* It's pretty sad. I can't really recall doing any fundraiser through our school. We just go out there, as a team, and have fun. Heck, go play paintball ya know. Get a paintball gun (not an expensive one) and have people pay to take a couple shots at ya. I know it's a hit in Wildwood at the Boardwalk haha. Just a thought. Paintball is always fun =)

Josh Goodman
08-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Our school has the same rule and is cutting back on soda and sweets this year. Our team sells Pizza and Candy AFTER school. Not only does this feed the sports teams but also the students exiting the building.

KenWittlief
08-31-2006, 09:09 PM
theres this thing Ive heard about, where you have these people come and take your principle away, and they lock him in a room behind bars, and take his photo

then everyone in the school has to pay money to get him back.

Whats it called again....... uhmm....... oh yeah: Kidnapping!

(ok, I got nothing! but Im thinking about it)

maybe your club could sell all those pretzels to the other clubs?

how about bagels and cream cheese?

ebay party?

IraJason
08-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Heck, go play paintball ya know. Get a paintball gun (not an expensive one) and have people pay to take a couple shots at ya. I know it's a hit in Wildwood at the Boardwalk haha. Just a thought. Paintball is always fun =)

We've decided to go a little more high tech then paintball... One of the things we plan to do for this year is a team Laser Tag trip. But that's more of a team building activity for us to do a bit later in the year. We did it this year after IRI and it was awesome.

We also make rubber wristbands that say "Dawgma 1712" on them. We usually give them away as promotional things, and we still have hundreds in bags I think.

Our school has the same rule and is cutting back on soda and sweets this year. Our team sells Pizza and Candy AFTER school. Not only does this feed the sports teams but also the students exiting the building.

The pizza thing actually really sounds interesting, I'd really like to hear more about that. Unfortunately, the rules apply to all fundraisers on school property, no matter what the time. It really affects me for a class fundraiser where we are having a dance... we can't sell any sodas or candy, so we'll wind up selling water and pretzels for that.

One of the things that I forgot to mention about sponors is that according to our district, no club or sport can wear the logos of companies that give money. It's allowed that we can put company names and logos on the robot and on banners in our pit area, but not on our team shirts. But in that regard, we have a system in place to honor those who help us financially and with other services. The problem is (and this is another strange policy) all donor forms must be pre-approved by the school district if they are to be placed in a school district account, and any donations over a certain amount must have a request to donate money form filled out. I made one as build season was coming up last year, but due to the political process, it has yet to be approved by our school district's budget committee. So at the moment, even though we already have the system in place to have sponsors and donors, we have no real way to recieve large donations until either the form is passed, or the booster club I'm helping create along with parents and teachers starts itself up.

But enough about my problems... Thanks everyone so far who responded. It's really great to see what you all think.

JaneYoung
08-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Can you expand on the pizza part of this a little -
how and where?
It sounds like a really great idea!
Jane

JaneYoung
08-31-2006, 09:22 PM
So at the moment, even though we already have the system in place to have sponsors and donors, we have no real way to recieve large donations until either the form is passed, or the booster club I'm helping create along with parents and teachers starts itself up.
The booster club that you've mentioned. Is it taking a little while to form and if yes, do you know that reason?

Billfred
08-31-2006, 09:31 PM
theres this thing Ive heard about, where you have these people come and take your principle away, and they lock him in a room behind bars, and take his photo

then everyone in the school has to pay money to get him back.

Whats it called again....... uhmm....... oh yeah: Kidnapping!

(ok, I got nothing! but Im thinking about it)
Actually, Ken, you're not that far off from some fundraisers I've read of (not for FIRST) in the past. In essence, you find some willing teachers and a willing member of the local law enforcement (School resource officers seem to be common, so give that a shot) to "arrest" them and put them in a jail in a courtyard/cafeteria/whatever for the day. (The teachers know this in advance for sub purposes.) The students then have to donate bail money to the cause du jour to get their teachers out.

Of course, you'd want to make sure you've got a pretty popular teacher; I know I had a few in my younger days that I would let stay in the jail! ;)

IraJason
08-31-2006, 09:43 PM
The booster club that you've mentioned. Is it taking a little while to form and if yes, do you know that reason?

Well, the idea for the booster club came about after build season, and really started to go into effect after Regionals. At that point, it had been a few months since I created the donor form I mentioned before, and no word had been heard about its progress. The main issue at that point was getting parents to run the thing, because our team is actually part of a larger club that has over 100 total members, which alone is a lot to deal with for our staff advisors.

As of right now, I believe we have a few parents who are seriously considering running the booster club. Once they get signed on, we'll work with them to figure out how to organize it and obtain non-profit status (already been worked out), and get other parents involved (We're planning on asking for everyone's parent email addresses during our first meeting). From there, we can implement our sponsorship and community fundraising ideas. I'm hoping that by the end of this year, we will at least have a fully functioning booster club that will be organized enough to handle money from sponsorships.

JaneYoung
08-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Excellent.
I'm going to sound like KathieK but ask one of the parents to sign up with NEMO. It would be helpful to all of you to have that support. I wish you and the team the very best with this.
Jane

wendymom
08-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Exploding Bacon does a little different kind of car wash. On Wednesdays we get out of school 2 hours before the teachers can leave. We do a detail service. For 30 bucks, 50 for vans, I (I'm the mom) pick up the keys to the cars and bring them around the back of the school. We wash, vacuum, armour all, windex,spray it with good smelly stuff and clean the wheels. Then we repark the car and deliver the keys back to the teacher. Thats one more errand they don't have to do. If you have enough people helping you can kick out 5 to 10 cars a day.
You even start having regular customers after a while.

X-Istence
09-01-2006, 12:26 AM
At my school to raise funds we sold Cheesecakes. It was a huge success. Besides that we did not do much as our school district gave us a ton of money as well as the company that sponsored us.

This year all stuff that has as it's main ingredient sugar is going to be banned from the school cafeteria, that includes soda and whatnot, however clubs, fundraisers and others are exempt from the policy, as under NJ law it only applies to the cafeteria and the food they cater, so we have a school store that will be selling all kinds of candy (Skittles, Mints, Twix, Kit Kat, everything).

KenWittlief
09-01-2006, 09:49 AM
This is a side note, but I find it interesting that schools are banning soda? Diet soda has no sugar or corn syrup, its just flavored filtered water.

And having enough fluids in your system is important for good health. In spite of all the urban myths and old wives tales, there is absolutely nothing wrong with drinking diet pop (unless you are getting wired from too much caffeen).

amos229
09-01-2006, 10:36 AM
The caffiene is also one of the issues according to the new laws. Our school is inducing similar rules in the caffateria this year.

Richard Wallace
09-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Seems we've made some progress since the dark days of the 1980's, when ketchup was counted as a vegetable in school lunch planning.

wheeler
09-01-2006, 11:54 AM
One idea that we are getting ready to use is a local business discount card. You can have up to 20 business offer a year long coupon for card holders. If you purchase 1000 cards to sell the profit is $9 per card if you sell them for $10. We are looking into food and other retail stores to participate. There is no cost to the business except the honoring of the stated discount. If you want more info PM me.

gail
09-01-2006, 02:59 PM
I've often thought of doing a "walk" where people pledge for each mile or half mile you do. If your whole team did it and you made the walk long enough you could raise some decent money.

Athleticgirl389
09-01-2006, 08:36 PM
We also make rubber wristbands that say "Dawgma 1712" on them. We usually give them away as promotional things, and we still have hundreds in bags I think.

We thought of that idea. The thing is, our school cares too much about the marching band and football team, which do similar things. The field hockey team did something, and the parents were concerned that if we made bands, we wouldn't be able to get far with them, outside the parents and students in robotics. But the idea is sooo awesome!!! I'd love to have one of your Dawgma 1712 bands to add to my band collection :p haha.

jakk
09-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Our team does car washes. Lots of them. 8 hours in the hot sun is fun! We also have an annual chicken sale that equals to about 2 car washes. We don't sell candy because all of our sports teams/clubs/band alread sells that.

Andrew Blair
09-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Seems we've made some progress since the dark days of the 1980's, when ketchup was counted as a vegetable in school lunch planning.
Not too far, I think our school's cafeteria service still honors nachos and cheese as an acceptable lunch choice, and 90% of the food contains processed cheese food. But now we have to eat baked fries...

IraJason
09-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Well, I went into my school today and asked for some clarification about the new rules for fundraisers. Apparently the banned items consist of anything which has the first ingredient of sugar, and anything with the first two ingredients of flour and sugar. Also, it applies to all activities and fundraisers on school property, no matter if it is during the school day or not.

This doesn't mean that there aren't other items that they will not allow to sell, but at least it's something. The activities director first learned of this only a week or two ago, so they are still trying to figure this all out. And once again, I just want to thank everyone for all of their suggestions and help. It really is great that I can find so many who are willing to help.

Fumbling Pirate
09-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Our robotics team hosts a bi-annual Battle of the Bands, where we invite the students in the school who are in a band to come and play in the auditorium. We do have a snack table set up outside the auditorium that usually sells candy and soda both before the show and during intermission, but you could easily just offer water and pretzels, or chips. We make money from the tickets as well as the food.

This isn't a small event like selling food or anything, and it does require planning and a lot of team commiment, but it brings in a lot of money for our robotics team. Its very popular in the school too, especially for the members of the bands.

Another thing we're looking into doing for this year is car washes at Walmart. Walmart has a great thing where you can have a fundraiser at their stores and they'll match what you make up to $1000.

KathieK
09-04-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm going to sound like KathieK but ask one of the parents to sign up with NEMO. OK, Jane took the words out of my mouth. :p

We have some good resources in the NEMO website - and one of them is How to Hold a Profitable Pasta Dinner (http://www.firstnemo.org/PDF/pasta_dinner.pdf) - we average $900 to $1000 on our pasta dinners because we have them down to a science. Not bad for a few hours of work AND they also serve as a way for your team to market themselves. As with any fundraising you do, be aware of state and local regulations regarding food preparation, car washes (technically banned in many areas unless you are capturing the soapy water runoff), raffles, etc. You don't want your organization to end up in the news for the wrong reasons.