PDA

View Full Version : IE7 Love it or Hate it?

JohnBoucher
10-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Well,
Who has installed the latest and greatest browser from Microsoft? It runs well, fast, but what dog of a GUI.

I think they tried too much at once. It works, but has a learning curve that a lot of people won't appreciate.

Stephen Kowski
10-20-2006, 02:41 PM
love the RSS feed handling, but it has crashed on me everytime I've used it so I think ill wait a little longer for Firefox 2.0 to be fully released.

chris31
10-20-2006, 03:10 PM
I use firefox. Im installing IE7 now, just to check it out.

GRaduns340
10-20-2006, 04:05 PM
I like IE7, and my real reason for not using it is because I've gotten used to clicking Firefox when I do anything on the Internet. I think IE's great though. The other downside is that it doesn't have open extensions. As a web design guy I use a few of the Firefox plugins, like FireBug (page errors) and DOM Inspector (quick access to linked CSS from each HTML tag is nice). I doubt there will ever be much of a push for that in IE.

Short version:
I like it a lot, and would probably use it if I wasn't too deep into Firefox already.

artdutra04
10-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I've had IE7 since it's first Beta release came out. It's much better than previous versions of Internet Explorer, expecially from a web developer point of view. If you must insist on using Internet Explorer, at lease use IE7.

The one thing I absolutely cannot stand about IE7 is the user interface. They took a nice bunch of icons and menus, that were all concentrated in one, nice area and just exploded them everywhere and anywhere on the page, with no rhyme or reason behind their placement. It takes a long time to get used to this new setup. I still cannot find the "Find" feature. How ironic.

But I will still say - memory leak or not - that Firefox 2.0 is still better than IE7. Firefox 2.0 will have all the same new features as IE7, such as RSS feed subscription, anti-phishing protection, and more. The thing that really set Firefox 2.0 ahead of IE7 IMHO is the new spell check feature that will be built into FF 2.0. Finally, there is hope for the end of posts dat look lik thay r spelld like dis.

KenWittlief
10-20-2006, 04:32 PM
I used Firefox for over a year as my preferred browser, but then it started crashing about once an hour on me, and even after a delete and re-install I could not get it to work reliably.

Some websites require IE ( for example, filling out your FASFA forms for college), so you cant get away from it completely.

Im very reluctant to intall IE7. When computer SW crashes it drives me bezerk, because I know there is no excuse for poorly written buggy SW.

dk5sm5luigi
10-20-2006, 04:53 PM
I definately think it is better than IE6. It seems to render everything better. I still won't switch from FireFox but at least it makes my life easier (once everyone starts using it).
-Nick

thegathering
10-20-2006, 04:59 PM
I use FireFox and don't care to install IE7 to see Microsoft's version of features already on other (safer) browsers.

Check out the new firefox beta tryouts though :) I'm using RC3 and love the look.

EHaskins
10-20-2006, 05:10 PM
The one thing I absolutely cannot stand about IE7 is the user interface. They took a nice bunch of icons and menus, that were all concentrated in one, nice area and just exploded them everywhere and anywhere on the page, with no rhyme or reason behind their placement. It takes a long time to get used to this new setup. I still cannot find the "Find" feature. How ironic.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. The GUI so terrible. I think this was their attempt to make an easier to use interface, but you can't find anything.

I'm running Firefox 2.0 rc3, and it is so much better than IE. The first beta I ran did crash, but after the second it seems stable. The built in spell checker, anti phisher, RSS reader, and restore session functions make it much better than Firefox1.5 or IE7.

Just my $0.02.

Tom Bottiglieri
10-20-2006, 05:21 PM
I use FF2.0 on windoze, and Safari on mac.

IE7 - Hate it
FF2.0 - LOVE IT!
Safari for OS X 10.5 - Going to blow both away.

InfernoX14
10-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Unless it has tabs like Firefox, I'm not interested. :D

And I love how many CD users use Firefox.

EHaskins
10-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Unless it has tabs like Firefox, I'm not interested. :D

And I love how many CD users use Firefox.

Like I said above I'm a Firefox guy, but IE7 does have tabs. :D

Kristian Calhoun
10-20-2006, 05:51 PM
I just installed it, and although it is better than IE6, I strongly dislike it.

As Art said, the interface is very...scattered.

I use (and will continue to use) Firefox. The height of the tabs is also shorter than those in IE7 (allowing for a greater viewing area). One of the features in FF that I love that isn't in IE7 or Opera is the Bookmarks tool bar. In addition, FF and Opera both have their themes/extensions/widgets, which IE is still lacking.

So unless both Firefox and Opera simultaneously crash, I won't be using Internet Explorer for a while (which also always denies access to the Z:\ drive on school computers, while FF and Opera do not. Go figure.)

CraigHickman
10-20-2006, 06:20 PM
I may be biased slightly... but I'm a little wary of any Microsoft product, after my horrid experiences with Win-doh-s...

As for IE7... ick.
I'm sticking with FF1.5 until I hear that the memory leak is fixed on 2.0. Only reason I care about that is Inventor takes all the RAM I've got.

chris31
10-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Firefox RC3 is look nice! So I just installed IE7 on my XP box and i can not stand the IE7 GUI. I dont like it at all.

Adam Richards
10-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Does IE7 conform to the most basic coding standards yet?

Michelle Celio
10-20-2006, 07:41 PM
I love it, but yet I hate it.

I love it because it is getting closer to actually displaying websites correctly, I still see gaps where there shouldn't be but their PNG support is much better. But I still don't like the interface...new or old. I also didn't like the what - 14mb download?

I think Microsoft is heading in the right direction with the release of this browser, it still needs allot of work, but it's getting there. I feel that one of the main problems with Internet Explorer is that it's so tied into the Operating System that it's sort of hard to do a major upgrade with out upgrading the OS (hence, vista)

I'll check it out some more and edit this post later.

[edit 1] I found spell check, I haven't tested it out yet but that makes me go yay! :D err...that came with google bar, opps!!
[edit 2] Anyone found out how to make the tabs open in the same window yet? Nevermind found it, it's in internet options which was kind of hidden =]

Nitroxextreme
10-20-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm a firefox and Opera guy (gotta love those mouse gestures)

efoote868
10-20-2006, 11:29 PM
well, i love how independent developers can write software and plugins for firefox... the google preview is pretty nifty, makes me laugh whenever ask has a commercial about how their search features are better now...

firefox had me sold with tabbed browsing

Cpt_Dave_Lister
10-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Ie7 looks beter than before.. duh.. its been 5 years, but it uses WAYY too much memory compared to Firefox.

I have never had a crash using Firefox.

Astronouth7303
10-21-2006, 12:50 AM
I've seen Internet Exploder 7. I'm running Firefox 2.0 now. Firefox 2 covers any advantage IE7 had, with all the Firefox goodness. :cool:

No comparison.

SamC
10-21-2006, 01:02 AM
I've seen Internet Exploder 7. I'm running Firefox 2.0 now. Firefox 2 covers any advantage IE7 had, with all the Firefox goodness. :cool:

No comparison.

I like firefox aswell, but it needs an FTP feature...

efoote868
10-21-2006, 09:11 AM
I like firefox aswell, but it needs an FTP feature...

haha, i was trying to upload some files to my teams website... the webteam guy in charge was getting irritated at me because he told me to sign in, and i was like, how!?! i can't do file, sign in

finally i told him i was going to try it with IE and he said oh! you didn't tell me you were using firefox *smacks head

UnderDark
10-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Use the "FireFTP" extension. It's what I use for my servers (under Win32(I just use gFTP under Linux))

chris31
10-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Use the "FireFTP" extension. It's what I use for my servers (under Win32(I just use gFTP under Linux))

FireFTP is a good extension. If you want FTP with firefox its a good choice. Though I generally use a stand alone FTP client.

Eldarion
10-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Hate it!

The GUI is horrible--I just use Firefox themed to look like IE 6.0. It works great, looks great, is fully Internet standards compliant,and doesn't crash! :)

Just my $0.02...

BoyWithCape195
10-23-2006, 08:27 AM
I found this interesting article about the memory usage of IE7 vs. Firefox...Enjoy

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/ie7/ie7-vs-firefox-2-the-memory-usage-showdown-208908.php

mtaman02
10-23-2006, 04:14 PM
I Wouldn't call myself a Microsoft Guy and I have not tried MacOS or anything else so I just stick to what I have. IE7 Stinks yeah it may be better then 5 & 6 but it fails in so many other aspects. I'm gonna hold my breathe that when MS Vista Comes Along then MS IE7 will work properly otherwise I will just stick to MS XPPro and MS IE6 at least this stuff I can figure out on how to use in comparison to just guessing.

Noah Kleinberg
10-23-2006, 11:06 PM
I use a browser called maxthon (http://www.maxthon.com/) which uses internet explorer to render the pages, but adds tabs and some other good stuff like gestures. Worth a try, and it's interface is much better than IE7's (I preferred IE6 really).

LordTalps
10-24-2006, 08:02 PM
This is me using Microsoft Security Hole with Internets Functionality as little as possible :D

Only as much as it provides me with automatic updates.

chris31
10-24-2006, 08:20 PM
I use a browser called maxthon (http://www.maxthon.com/) which uses internet explorer to render the pages, but adds tabs and some other good stuff like gestures. Worth a try, and it's interface is much better than IE7's (I preferred IE6 really).

I have used Maxthon. Its no firefox, but its not to bad.

Alexander McGee
10-25-2006, 08:39 PM
I have always been a little bit anti-Firefox because of the way the download manager works; I was turned off from the start and never really used it after that. I know that you can turn that feature off, but I just didn't like it much after the first experience.

But, I have installed IE7 now, and I must say that I love it. It has the nice features of tabbed browsing like from Firefox, but the interface that I am used to in IE6.

DCA Fan
10-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Is anyone having problems with that tabbed browsing in IE7? When I click to make a new tab the program shuts down.

Mazin
10-29-2006, 04:42 PM
I sense bias all over the place. My flip answer would be:
"Pshhh, IE or Firefox? OBVIOUSLY, Konqueror is better."

Besides, what don't you guys like about new cool slick interfaces? Does IE's cleanup of the chrome scare you guys? I like radical interfaces; probably why I use Beryl (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3304682858126153303&q=xgl) and kiba-dock (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2453491154022766602).

But seriously. The browser market has become boring. Everybody's already stolen tabbed-browsing from Opera. What new features are there, really? Spell check? I've had that forever on Konqueror. Anti-phishing? Who would really go to a phishing site? I know too many Firefox fanboys. They think they're so cool, but they have no grasp of the bigger picture as it stands. They readily bash Microsoft (most of the time unfairly), while happily running Windows and Microsoft Office. Frankly, I'm tired about all these people getting exciting about a browser.

I admit it. This was written on Microsoft Windows XP using Firefox 2.0. There, you happy? My excuse is that I was on Windows to use VIZ.

spinmunky
10-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Some websites require IE ( for example, filling out your FASFA forms for college), so you cant get away from it completely.
Not true! I've gotten around this in Firefox! it's an extension call IE Tab. you can get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/
I NEVER use IE

pyro20911d
10-31-2006, 12:14 PM
bottom line...IE SUCKS...it's full of security holes and always will be, plus it's not appealing to the eye and there aren't any neat add ons for it

I just wouldn't recommend it... but it's your decision

JoeXIII'007
10-31-2006, 12:48 PM
I couldn't really care less for IE7, for I don't care for it at all... Firefox is permanently engrained on my objectdock, and is quite frankly much nicer than IE, which I have to use just to watch MSNBC videos... *sigh*

Drew
11-14-2006, 02:32 PM
I dont waste my time with IE7 or for that matter anything other than FireFox. Not only is it safer but everyone who loves Idiot proof virus browsers will choose FireFox also. Also no matter how much microsoft markets IE7 as being safer than Firefox or anything you have to remember how easy it is to "Say" its safer. Its to get the masses back on their side. People believe textual information. The beleive what they see not what they know. Just think about that before switching to anything

shawger
11-15-2006, 11:13 PM
I have a Windows Vista partition on this computer, and after trying IE7 I felt like it was slow, had a cluttered interface, and is still lacking features that Firefox, Opera, Safari, Epiphany, Konqueror etc. have.

I will say that it is a huge improvement from IE6 and will doubtless provide a better "web experience" for the thousands of drones that use IE6, but for the Firefox/* user, it is not necessary and includes no new functionality.

Gdeaver
11-15-2006, 11:31 PM
I've noticed that on some sites the anti-phishing scan is real sloooooow.