PDA

View Full Version : NASA Grant Question

sanddrag
11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
With regard to the "Regional Challenge Grants" available to 10 "veteran" teams attending San Diego, if a team has been sponsored by NASA two years previously (2001 and 2002. Rookie year and year following), is the team still eligible to receive the above-mentioned grant this year provided it meets all the other criteria?

Also, how must the $6000 in existing corporate or community sponsorship be accounted? Does it have to be purely monetary, or do things like labor and materials count?

Thanks.

dlavery
11-01-2006, 07:27 PM
With regard to the "Regional Challenge Grants" available to 10 "veteran" teams attending San Diego, if a team has been sponsored by NASA two years previously (2001 and 2002. Rookie year and year following), is the team still eligible to receive the above-mentioned grant this year provided it meets all the other criteria?Yes. The application will be evaluated as a "veteran team application" for this reginoal competition event.

Also, how must the $6000 in existing corporate or community sponsorship be accounted? Does it have to be purely monetary, or do things like labor and materials count?Direct funding and accountable in-kind support (materials, supplies, tools, direct fabrication costs, etc.) can be included. "Labor" would not normally be considered in this accounting.

-dave

sanddrag
11-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Thank you so much for answering my questions. I thank NASA for their continued support of the FIRST Robotics program. :)

I have one more question: If the school where the team is stationed is a major monetary contributor, I don't suppose that can be included in the existing $6000 corporate and community sponsorship requirement can it?

dlavery
11-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Thank you so much for answering my questions. I thank NASA for their continued support of the FIRST Robotics program. :)

I have one more question: If the school where the team is stationed is a major monetary contributor, I don't suppose that can be included in the existing $6000 corporate and community sponsorship requirement can it?
Yes, it can. There is not a restriction on the source of the co-funding.

-dave

wendymom
11-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Heres a new question.

What if you don't have a school that sponsors you? We have kids from 5 schools on our team but none of the schools want the liability issue of the other students. So....we build out of my house and my neighbors garage.

dlavery
11-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Heres a new question.

What if you don't have a school that sponsors you? We have kids from 5 schools on our team but none of the schools want the liability issue of the other students. So....we build out of my house and my neighbors garage.
A school or recognized educational institution must be identified in Section 2 of the application. Unfortunately, teams which are not affiliated with a school or sponsoring educational institution can not be considered. This is to protect NASA (and your tax dollars) in the very rare and unlikely event that a team does not fulfill their obligations and a recovery of funds/materials is required.

-dave

Stephen Kowski
11-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Anyone have an update on what is happening with the NASA sponsorships? The sight says a list should be posted on or before today (and it is 9:45 on the east coast) so I'm assuming they won't be posted today. If anyone has any new or pertinent information I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

dlavery
11-20-2006, 09:09 PM
See this thread (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=536495#post536495).

-dave