PDA

View Full Version : pic: Three colors???

natis
11-06-2006, 11:32 PM
[cdm-description=photo]25842[/cdm-description]

987HighRoller
11-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Now for the easy part... getting the camera to track these colors!! :ahh: By the way... does any one who has done this already feel like giving me some color values for red or blue to put in camera.h? ;)

Jeff 801
11-06-2006, 11:36 PM
it looks like :D :D :D :D four light (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/25614)

Gabe
11-07-2006, 01:12 AM
Question: could you replicate the same multi-color light idea by using multi-colored glow sticks? You would have white, blue, red, green, and orange as possible colors. Plus, glow sticks would be cheaper. (I would test this idea on our own robot, if only our robot had been programmed to actually track lights :( )

EHaskins
11-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Now what you need to do is add an EDU/Vex controller so you can program it change the way one would if it were part of the field.

Donut
11-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Question: could you replicate the same multi-color light idea by using multi-colored glow sticks? You would have white, blue, red, green, and orange as possible colors. Plus, glow sticks would be cheaper. (I would test this idea on our own robot, if only our robot had been programmed to actually track lights :( )

My guess is yes, since I was told I couldn't wear green glowsticks our team was distributing at AZ if I was driving on the field.

Those colors would only be the start; there'd also be purple, yellow, and probably some shaded colors as well.

EHaskins
11-07-2006, 02:18 PM
My guess is yes, since I was told I couldn't wear green glowsticks our team was distributing at AZ if I was driving on the field.

Those colors would only be the start; there'd also be purple, yellow, and probably some shaded colors as well.

The problem with all those colors is that the camera has enough trouble tracking a bright green light. How do you think it will do with red, blue, and purple. :ahh:

Qbranch
11-07-2006, 02:22 PM
The blue should be no problem.... the red is what has me worried :ahh:

also, changing color configs on the fly should be no problem but searching for all three colors at the same time.... a bit more difficult.

-q

Donut
11-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Ours never really had noticeable trouble tracking the green light, but our shooter bounced around alot so maybe we just didn't notice.

Yeah, searching for multiple colors at once is going to be interesting. I don't know how the camera will react if the target is moving either.

Alexa Stott
11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Yeah, searching for multiple colors at once is going to be interesting. I don't know how the camera will react if the target is moving either.

I don't think that will be the biggest problem. When we test our camera, we pull out the green light and move it around a bit to make sure the camera is properly testing it. I don't see that being much different than a moving target. However, that also depends on the code that you have written for the camera.

It will be interesting to see if the target is both moving AND changing colors at the same time.

Kyle Love
11-07-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm still kind of skeptical about these. I think these could be configured in different ways. There could be different colored lights, total of 6 on a field. They could be located seperately. They could be located high or low. They could be pulling our leg all together. Just my thoughts.

AdamHeard
11-07-2006, 06:33 PM
a moving target can be tracked pretty easily.

it would track the target when someone ran back and forth with it when we tested.

There definitely will be a use for the camera this coming season, and I bet more than one color that can be tracked. If you guys think hard enough, we've already had to track 4 different colors.

[527]phil
11-07-2006, 07:59 PM
you also have to remember that 2 or more sets of lights could easily make another color such as orange, or purple, or even turquoise!!?!? :D

dlavery
11-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Nice set up. With a total of 12 tubes, you can individually control them to generate 4096 discrete color hues (which will be helped if you put a crystal panel and a diffuser over the light box, but that is a detail). That would be a pretty good mix, and should allow you to test a lot of different possible conditions. Just don't forget to program in the "vibrating paisly" mode....

-dave

Rohith Surampudi
11-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Nice set up. With a total of 12 tubes, you can individually control them to generate 4096 discrete color hues (which will be helped if you put a crystal panel and a diffuser over the light box, but that is a detail). That would be a pretty good mix, and should allow you to test a lot of different possible conditions. Just don't forget to program in the "vibrating paisly" mode....

-dave

OMG IS THAT A CLUE!!!!!!! :p

Donut
11-08-2006, 02:33 PM
With a total of 12 tubes, you can individually control them to generate 4096 discrete color hues

:ahh: 4096 colors? :ahh:

I guess the Championships were just trying to give us a false sense of security. Silly us, thinking we'd get away with only 3 colors this year.

Fuzzy
11-08-2006, 08:13 PM
So 4095 more ways to get a camera-based headache :rolleyes:

eshteyn
11-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Our team has a light system that has 4 different colors - green, blue, red, and yellow. We have been using last seasons camera to do our tracking and from what I have seen our teams excellent programmer has done a great job at making our robot track all the colors, Also if im not mistaking u can set a range of values for the camera to track, so the 4095 hues shouldn't be that bad of a problem

Donut
11-08-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm pretty sure the camera is one color only, and it must be re-initialized with the new color to track it.

Hiteak
11-09-2006, 02:53 AM
I would think it would be easier to separate the colors into different boxes, and place them at different parts of the field, but where would be the challenge in that :p

Noah Kleinberg
11-09-2006, 04:47 PM
changing color configs on the fly should be no problem but searching for all three colors at the same time.... a bit more difficult.

-q

I'm not so sure about that... Maybe you tested it and it does work, as I haven't gotten to try it myself yet, but I've heard from others who have tried that it can take over a second to start tracking a new color, which is really long for autonomous...

I'll probably get to test it tomorrow and I can post how long it took to change colors for me...

Andy B
11-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Someone said that there were 3 colors on Einstein last year. i wasn't there, what was that all about?

Schnabel
11-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Someone said that there were 3 colors on Einstein last year. i wasn't there, what was that all about?

A trick was played saying that to separate the best of the best, the light was going to be *insert color here* during autonomous and then red 1st round, blue 2nd round, and then switching every second from red to blue to green and over again during the last round. They really tricked everyone for a while but then said that it wasn't going to happen. So know we think that it a clue.

Pat Fairbank
11-09-2006, 05:34 PM
A trick was played saying that to separate the best of the best, the light was going to be *insert color here* during autonomous and then red 1st round, blue 2nd round, and then switching every second from red to blue to green and over again during the last round. They really tricked everyone for a while but then said that it wasn't going to happen. So know we think that it a clue.Just to add to that, the emcee, Dave Verbrugge (who was responsible for the joke), had managed to procure some lights that actually did turn to each of those colours as he named them.

Pat McCarthy
11-09-2006, 05:40 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4946230540996303982&hl=en
Here's Dave's trick in its entirety.
Gotta love it, he's such a practical joker. :cool: