PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions of robot box

lampson0
11-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Whar are the dimesions of the robot box ( the one you use to carry the robot)
I need these dimesions asap for my school team. This is our first year competing. Thanks.

Bryan

Rohith Surampudi
11-07-2006, 01:38 PM
EDIT:See Posts Below

Elgin Clock
11-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Whar are the dimesions of the robot box ( the one you use to carry the robot)
I need these dimesions asap for my school team. This is our first year competing. Thanks.

Bryan

I wouldn't start constructing a robot shipping box until you get the rules and everything for 2007.

All sizes are subject to change, and making a box to the right size affects not only space planning of what you can and can not fit in the crate, but your budget as well. (cost of shipping a crate that is too large, rules for shipping)

My advice to you and your team: Don't make your shipping crate or a robot cart yet!!!

Robot comes first, then shipping crate and cart!

Cory
11-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Elgin is right. Fedex has changed the max free shippable size before, between seasons. You don't want to make something now and find out you have to cut 4" off of it come january.

dhitchco
11-22-2006, 11:28 AM
What year did FedEx change the maximum dimensions of the robot shipping box?

Many teams do re-use their shipping box and/or use the off-season to design/build a robot shipping crate that can serve multiple purposes.....so, let's hope/pray that they don't change the box shipping rules for 2007 (phew.....)

Think "outside-the-box" about how to optimize your robot shipping crate as a "system". can the doors be re-used as pit tables? can the robot cart be stashed inside the shipping crate (pending weight limits, etc)... There's lots of ways to think about the crate being more than just a crate. Heck, one team turned their crate into a coat closet! and kept it as part of their pit design.....

Cory
11-22-2006, 02:27 PM
What year did FedEx change the maximum dimensions of the robot shipping box?

It was changed for the 2002 season, I believe. It got smaller by like 4" or something.

Andrew Schuetze
12-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Okay, if one where to have rebuilt their crate of many years because something crushed it in transit and destroyed half of your robot on it's way to Atlanta and didn't tell you and you already built a new one that splits down the middle so that you can use it to organize your pit area with shelving, how to you tie down the robot while the crate is in two pieces???

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/24789

Do you only tie down on one side:confused:
Or do you have a panel that comes off such that you can put the robot in and close the clamb shell design, tie down the robot on both sides and then screw on the panel...

please excuse the run-on sentences:)

DonRotolo
12-16-2006, 09:53 PM
how to you tie down the robot while the crate is in two pieces???
There are many ways: One side only, make a full width 'second' floor to tie it down, use compressible materials to hold it steady, build in arms that hold it when the clamshell is closed... My best advice is to find a commercial package that works that way and see how they did it.

Or my favorite: Tie it down after it's closed. The freshman inside goes for the ride...:eek:

Don

Andrew Schuetze
12-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Or my favorite: Tie it down after it's closed. The freshman inside goes for the ride...:eek:

Don

Some good advice:cool: yet it begs the next question, How much Food and Water does one pack in the crate per week until the first regional event:confused: This would certianly make the case for attending one of the early regionals:yikes:

On the serious side, I had not thought of adding in a second floor which is the full 4 x 4 size to tie down to and will likely go with that idea. I always had fun working within the tight confines of the crate already getting tie down straps tight. This way the whole thing can be locked tight outside of the crate and then placed in the crate half, secured and then the clambshell closed.:D