PDA

View Full Version : What University You going to??

teh_pwnerer795
12-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Hey

What university/college are u plannign to go to? OR are u already in one!:)

I'd love to go to Waterloo, Ontario:)

Mike Schroeder
12-07-2006, 08:30 PM
South Harmon Institute of Technology

Pat Fairbank
12-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I'd love to go to Waterloo, Ontario:)That's where I am now, studying Mechatronics Engineering. It's a great school, and the co-op program is awesome (I've got a job at General Motors next term).

SamC
12-07-2006, 08:33 PM

HOW??? I didn't get accepted by them :o ... I'm a failure! :yikes:

Joe_Widen
12-07-2006, 08:33 PM

That is good haha. That movie was really funny. But on a serious note, I'd like to go to Michigan University or Purdue.

Conor Ryan
12-07-2006, 08:35 PM
I got in today to the University of Dayton, it's my first choice.

FYI - This thread (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48711) might be of relevence to you

Sgraff_SRHS06
12-07-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm at Maryland. And one day away from the ENES100 (Freshman Design Course) autonomous hovercraft competition.

Your experience at FRC will really help you get through this course (except no KOP or mentors, other than your professor, TA, or TF (an undergrad teaching assistant)). It has a ridiculously awesome engineering program across the board.

Plus, it's the only ABET-accredited (legitimate) Fire Protection Engineering program in the country, which means anyone can study that for instate tuition.

That's the administrative schpiel! There are plenty of ex-FIRSTers here, even not in engineering.

Did I mention: we have Nobel-Prize-winning programs in both Physics and Economics and an outstanding Business school? (Business may seem lame, un-FIRST like, but Maryland designed it in a similar way to its engineering program and both are equally tough to get into)

Alex Cormier
12-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Are you the big person in the front row of Nothing 101? :p

Kyle Love
12-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Boiler Up! I'm going to Purdue University next fall.

Ari Allyn-Feuer
12-07-2006, 09:27 PM
University of Chicago. I find out from them in about 10 days.

Ari.

teh_pwnerer795
12-07-2006, 09:38 PM
That's where I am now, studying Mechatronics Engineering. It's a great school, and the co-op program is awesome (I've got a job at General Motors next term).

awesome!! ... im hoping to get into computer engineering!:D:D:D 5 year program:)

efoote868
12-07-2006, 09:40 PM
seeing as i'm a junior right now, no decisions for a while.

However, i've visited university of dayton, university of cincinnati, and purdue... I like the fact that cincinnati's co-op program is mandatory... so if i get a good scholarship i'll go there. (otherwise i default to purdue, being in-state and all)

VEN
12-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Univesity of Wateloo as #1choice
University of Toronto as #2 choice

planning to go into mechanical engineering and branch off into aerospace engineering

one more year of high school though

Michael Hill
12-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Right now, I'm in a meeting with my engineering group at Purdue. Don't ask why I'm on ChiefDelphi during a meeting. ;)

Matt Krass
12-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Clarkson for me, the Mini Baja program is great, and there's a FIRST team here as well, though I'm not on it, retired ;-) (Don't ask why a retired FIRSTer is on CD, it's a twelve step process kind of thing)

Imprudent
12-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Its still a few years away for me, but I'd like to go to University of Guelph (thats in Canada. . eh?) to study meteorology surprisingly. Robotics is a hobby for me. . I enjoy it. . but couldn't make it far in the industry

AznPrincess3089
12-08-2006, 12:11 AM
I want to major in Biomedical Engineering so Duke's my first choice. Probably not going to happen though so it's a UC school for me. Either Berkeley, Davis, or LA.

Joe J.
12-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Kettering University!

Kati_Kat
12-08-2006, 12:21 AM
sophomore at Saginaw Valley State in Michigan

Henry_Mareck
12-08-2006, 12:44 AM
If i could go anywhere, it would be Olin, but if i dont get in there, my other two choices are California Polytechnic and UT Austin. I'm a senior this year, and should be writing the essays for Olin right now, however, i seem to have been distracted. . . . . :rolleyes:

Tom Bottiglieri
12-08-2006, 12:46 AM
If i could go anywhere, it would be Olin, but if i dont get in there, my other two choices are California Polytechnic and UT Austin. I'm a senior this year, and should be writing the essays for Olin right now, however, i seem to have been distracted. . . . . :rolleyes:
Olin is freakin' amazing. I'm jealous of their 24 machine shops and electronic labs.

Henry_Mareck
12-08-2006, 12:48 AM
I might add that Olin enrolls less than 100 incoming freshmen every year

Tom Bottiglieri
12-08-2006, 12:50 AM
I might add that Olin enrolls less than 100 incoming freshmen every year
Yes, I believe this is their biggest freshman intake with 86 students.

alphaone
12-08-2006, 12:54 AM
Embry-Riddle, Prescott here. Having a good time flying nearly every day.

BFBrennan
12-08-2006, 01:47 AM
Michigan Tech all the way!

Embry-Riddle, Prescott here. Having a good time flying nearly every day.

Yeah, almost everyday is a flying day there.

Mikell Taylor
12-08-2006, 06:51 AM
::blink:: We have 24 machine shops and labs?

/alumni

Also, good news for the Olin kids -- Olin received NEASC accreditation yesterday morning! (They had to wait until my class graduated before they could be accepted) International students should be able to get visas, outside scholarships should now apply to room/board/etc expenses, and cute puppies and kittens for all! It's very good news.

Out of curiosity, for everyone, how important is it to you that your college be involved with FIRST somehow?

Timothy D. Ginn
12-08-2006, 07:56 AM
I'm currently in my third year of Computer Science at Queen's University (http://www.queensu.ca/).

anna~marie
12-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Michigan Tech all the way!

A great school!

I plan to attend Cedarville University in Ohio and was recently accepted

moojoe
12-08-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm currently attending Purchase College, SUNY
Theatre Design and Technology professional training program in the Theatre Arts and Film Conservatory with a focus in Technical Direction and hopefully rigging.

Katie Reynolds
12-08-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm going on my third year at Michigan Tech (for my BA in English Secondary Education, a teaching certificate in Geology, a minor and teaching certificate in Spanish, and maybe a minor in German). :)

My university having a FIRST team wasn't a deciding factor, but it's nice that there's already an established team here!

Fireworks 234
12-08-2006, 12:09 PM
I just got accepted to Purdue's School of Engineering. YAY!!!

Jaine Perotti
12-08-2006, 12:21 PM
I go to the University of Miami, with a major in mechanical engineering (and someday, perhaps a dual major with marine or atmospheric science).

I also applied and was accepted into RPI (http://www.rpi.edu/) and WPI (http://www.wpi.edu/). For more reasons why I chose the University of Miami, read this (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=488316&postcount=27) and this (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=490061&postcount=15) post.

Although Miami is certainly the best place for my undergraduate degree, I am pretty sure that WPI will be my first choice for graduate studies in engineering. They have an incredible program. :)

Pat McCarthy
12-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Oakland Community College, currently, for the fall semester.
I'll be starting at Grand Valley State University (Home of the West Michigan Regional) in January.
This situation happened because I had been planning on attending Kettering University until June of 2006. However, my mom discovered that we couldn't afford it at that point and I had to scramble to get into another school. That school turned out to be OCC.
However, if you've never been, GVSU is probably one of the best schools in Michigan. I only wish I would have realized that in the fall of 2005.

RoboJedi75
12-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I was recently accepted to Penn State University. Early decision is great, I got away with completing only two applications.

Noah Melamed
12-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm currently a freshman @ NJIT studying Human Computer Interaction

Qbranch
12-08-2006, 04:44 PM
95% chance of Purdue.

5% chance of ND.

-Q

JackN
12-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Probably Michigan State University for a degree in either Journalism, Radio, or Teaching (English/History). I would probably mentor those crazy 1504 kids as well.

Josh Murphy
12-08-2006, 09:52 PM
I have been thinking maybe Kettering would be nice but who knows I am still considering my options. I also am considering U of M and Oakland University decisions, decisions, don't you just hate them? :)

karinka13
12-08-2006, 10:10 PM
i got acceptances from drexel and georgia tech so far, but im still waiting for others.

Gabriel Mendez
12-08-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm currently a freshman at Polytechnic University. I'm now involved with a club within the university,
PolyBots which mentors FIRST teams and heavily volunteers in FIRST events.

PolyBots (http://polybots.poly.edu/index.shtml)

Polytechnic University (http://www.poly.edu/)

fredliu168
12-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey

What university/college are u plannign to go to? OR are u already in one!:)

I'd love to go to Waterloo, Ontario:)

I want to go to Waterloo too!

Here is my application list:

1. Waterloo/ Laurier - Business and Mathematics Double degree
2. Waterloo mathematics/CA program
3. Waterloo Computer Science (my backup)
4. University of Toronto - Engineering Science
5. Queens - Commerce
6. York - Schulich School of Business [International Business]

J Flex 188
12-09-2006, 12:01 AM
I want to go to Waterloo too!
6. York - Schulich School of Business [International Business]

Never thought I'd see the day when THAT would come up on CD. I'm currently in my second year in that program and I am looking tremendously forward to my exchange semester next year. There are actually quite a few robotics alumni that go to Schulich, despite the usual preconceptions about business people. As far as I know, we have alumni, some of whom still contribute to their teams from 188, 1241, 1219 and 771.

Adam McLeod
12-09-2006, 12:27 AM
I am looking tremendously forward to my exchange semester next year.

Of course, his exchange might make him miss an entire FRC season...that's why I'm in the BBA (no exchange).

PandaMan
12-09-2006, 10:37 AM
So far, got into Penn State Engineering. But I'm really waiting for UCal Berkely and UMich.

Chief Samwize
12-09-2006, 07:51 PM
UGGG IM ONLY A SOFTMORE oh well never to early to look, I was thinking U of M or Michigan Tech (my dad went there and I thought I'd check it out) I REFUSE TO GO TO MICHIGAN STATE!!!! GO BLUE:D

KelliV
12-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Freshmen at Columbia College Chicago!
The only private art school with a stand alone television program w00t!

Spammy Badame
12-11-2006, 01:14 AM
I go to Purdue!!! :D Boiler up!!! And I'm going to the BOWL game (vs. Maryland on Dec 9th at 8pm on ESPN) in Orlando!!!

Greg Marra
12-11-2006, 01:33 AM
I almost wonder if this should be one of the fields in the user profile settings? I mean, we already put our High School and sponsor. College is a pretty relevant field for college students.

ScoutingNerd175
12-11-2006, 02:22 AM
Freshman at Syracuse University.
Electrical Engineering Major, Computer Engineering, Math, Anthropology Minor.
And we are the largest class to enter the college of Engineering. I am currently one of only two girls in EE, but next year we will have four. (We've taken two from Aero)

Michael Hill
12-11-2006, 02:35 AM
for people accepted to the school of Engineering at Purdue: There's an "unofficial" motto here. Purdue Engineering: Where your best hasn't been good enough since 1876.

Jeremiah H
12-11-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm A junior, so I haven't started applying to colleges/for scholarships yet, but I am looking very strongly at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. It's a small school in Terre Haute, IN, with a good reputation in the engineering field. Only problem is the cost. If I can't land enough scholarships or get accepted, I probably will end up at Purdue or IUPUI.
(all this assuming I don't go for a Christian college. I'm glad I don't have to decide yet.) JH

talltree357
12-11-2006, 04:45 PM
I was accepted to Drexel University Honors College and awarded an A.J. Drexel scholarship. I am intending to major in Electrical Engineering. But before I make a decision I am waiting to hear back from the other schools I applied to. Those include WPI, Virginia Tech, Penn State, University of Del, and Temple. No matter where I end up, I am sure I will recieve a great education and hopefully put it to good use as a mentor down the road.

Jeff Pahl
12-11-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm A junior, so I haven't started applying to colleges/for scholarships yet, but I am looking very strongly at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. It's a small school in Terre Haute, IN, with a good reputation in the engineering field. Only problem is the cost. If I can't land enough scholarships or get accepted, I probably will end up at Purdue or IUPUI.
(all this assuming I don't go for a Christian college. I'm glad I don't have to decide yet.) JH

I hope you can get the scholarships to go to Rose! It'a a great place, and I always hate for anyone to have to go to Purdon't

-Jeff (RHIT '91)

Aaron D.
12-11-2006, 05:37 PM
I got into West Virginia University and am 99% sure I'm going, I'm just waiting to here back from Temple.

sciguy125
12-11-2006, 10:21 PM
I go to San Jose State University, Silicon Valley's #1 source for engineers. We recently ranked 12th in the nation for engineering, something like 5th for computer engineering in particular. It's a big school though, lots of anonymity (a student in one of my classes died and nobody noticed until the professor brought it up a few weeks later). I think there's ~5000 enrolled in the various engineering majors and we graduate over 1000 every year. I have no idea where they all go. You'd think that the valley would be saturated by now.

I've never gone anywhere else, so I have nothing to compare it to, but the engineers I work with say that the engineering programs here are very "practical". I think they mean that other universities throw lots of bleeding edge theories at their students even though they won't have any practical applications in industry for a long time. A lot of the labs are sponsored by technology companies. I'm sitting down the hall from our mini wafer fab right now (sponsored by Intel, among others). I guess they decided that it's cheaper to spend some money to have a university train their engineers before hiring them rather than doing it themselves. When engineers graduate from here, they're ready to work.

Pavan Dave
12-11-2006, 10:49 PM
In order

UT - Dallas (the one im dying to go to).
UT - Austin
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
University of Houston

Major: Electrical Engineering
Minor: Buisness or IT

Lea103
12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Im looking at Boston University or UVM. Those are my first choices. Also, I am applying to Arcadia University and Penn State Main... I want to become a secondary education english/history teacher

Jaime65
12-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Oakland University

Darkswordsmith
12-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Deferred by MIT, but was accepted by Caltech.
I'm prolly going to major in EE, AI, and maybe Biocircuits fabrication

Lisa Rodriguez
12-16-2006, 12:28 AM
For all those non-engineering majors

I go to Eckerd College in St Petersburg FL, student body of > 2000
I major in Marine Biology, my school doesn't even have an engineering program, and yes, i built the robot when I was in FIRST

I usually know a TA if I even have one.

If there is one thing I can say about choosing a school, go visit it, look at the academics AND the campus, there is a college out there for you:D

And to prove that you can't take the FIRST out of the kid;
I joined the only volentary college Search and Rescue Team in the country. They then discovered i have a mechanical aptitude, and since then I have been in the shop, and dirtier than ever before with oil and engine grease :D

Alexander McGee
12-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Kettering University - BS: Mechanical Engineering & Management Minor
Thomas M. Cooley Law School - JD & LL.M in Intellectual Property Litigation