PDA

View Full Version : Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, and one more for Chewie's sake, eeeeevil...

Robby O
08-08-2001, 07:04 PM
For those who dont know, Star Wars Episode 2 now has a name. A name that would make you wish you were Qui-Gonn in Episode 1. Or Darth Maul. A name that makes even Jar Jar seem cool. So now start the great debate: Will the movie suck based on the name, or is it a Total Protonic Reversal, making you think that crossin the streams is a bad thing when instead it's just going to destroy Gozer. Here are some links that you may enjoy, with the first being the name of E2.

Official Star Wars Website Announcement (http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/news/2001/08/news20010806.html)

Slashdot Article on Ep2 (http://slashdot.org/articles/01/08/07/0127206.shtml)

Penny Arcade - A comic about gaming, Today's one spoofing SWEp2 - Note that this page sometimes has profanity, so be warned! (http://www.penny-arcade.com)

Yet another comic I ran across, this ones pretty funny without the profanity... (http://www.whenigrowup.net/d/20010807.html)

Lessee where this discussion goes...

David Kelly
08-08-2001, 09:12 PM
maybe they will change the name of the movie later. it said somewhere in one of those links that you gave that they changed return of the jedi from something else. i don't know they may not change it. if they don't, i'm sure it will still be a good movie cause george lucas always makes good flicks

Carolyn Duncan
08-08-2001, 10:20 PM
The first thing I gotta say here is that I'm a Star Wars fanatic! I loved the original movies. The effects in those movies was unbelievable. What they did at that time was unheard of. It's for this reason that I cannot get into these newer movies that are comming out. Yes, I realize that they were first, but not in film releases. I don't even like the newer versions of the old movies, they aren't the same. All of the computer animation takes away from the movie. Part of what made the originals so great was that they were fantasies but they were so real. I hope you guys get what I;m saying and don't take it as Star Wars bashing because it's not.

EddieMcD
08-09-2001, 12:39 PM
Number 1: Only The High Priest may declare things EVIL!

Number 2: The name "Attack of the Clones", while not the best name, suits the movie, because I believe the second movie takes place during the Clone Wars.

Madison
08-09-2001, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Robby O
Will the movie suck based on the name, or is it a Total Protonic Reversal, making you think that crossin the streams is a bad thing when instead it's just going to destroy Gozer. Here are some links that you may enjoy, with the first being the name of E2.

First, kudos for one of the greatest movie references I've ever seen :) Ghostbusters rocks.

Now, I didn't visit the sites you linked to 'cause I already knew the name. But, did any one of that happen to mention that Ewan McGregor called it a "terrible, terrible title?"

I think it's funny. It's cheesy, but it fits the serialized, romanticized vision that is Star Wars.

And. . .from my days an Star Wars obsessed teen... Return of the Jedi was supposed to be called Revenge of the Jedi, but someone noted how the Jedi wouldn't ever seek revenge, and well. . .as they say, the rest is history.

Frankly, I'm not too excited about this movie. I'm looking forward to The Matrix Reloaded and a Jurassic Park movie that doesn't suck a bit more. . . and Batman: Year One if Darren Aronofsky ever gets off his rump and directs it.

Christina
08-09-2001, 05:29 PM
Well, they say you can't judge a book by its cover, right? So, I try not to like/dislike a movie based solely on the title. I say it can go either way, and I'll just have to wait and see.

~Christina šoš

Leon Machado IV
08-09-2001, 05:35 PM
I think you're all right. If it takes place during the Clone Wars it's a fitting name and you can't judge something untill you see it. When we all see it, then we can critisize.

EddieMcD
08-09-2001, 07:20 PM
And hope the movie critics don't say the exact opposite like they did for the first prequal

Kyle Fenton
08-10-2001, 02:57 PM
In "Star Wars Episode I" I think to kiddish, to Disney like. Many of the older fans who loved the orginal star wars are all grown up. What George Lucas should have done was made a PG movie and a R rated movie. The PG would be for the little kiddies, and the R would be for the returning fans. If he done this than he would have more fans (the new ones and the old ones). The rated R version would be the same as the PG but would probably have more violence, sex, and language, you know the standard stuff you see in movies today. But he would keep the same story. It would almost be like the rated R version would be the true version, while the rated PG version would be like a TV edited movie.

EddieMcD
08-10-2001, 03:52 PM
There were rumors of that happening for the first prequal, but apparently that didn't happen.

Carolyn Duncan
08-12-2001, 12:34 AM
I don't know if you guys have noticed this but Disnay isn't as kiddie as it used to be. Have any of you guys watched any of the Disney movies lately? I only watch them because I have cousins who are 7 and 2 and I babysit. The road to El Dorado had some semi adult moments between 2 characters, Joe died in Mighty Joe Young, and Toy Story 2 was NOT for little kids the jokes were awful. Oh well, I guess they are playing to the grown up crowd at the expense of their target age group.

Robby O
08-12-2001, 01:17 AM
The Road to El Dorado was from Dreamworks, who never produced kiddie films to begin with... :D . Oh, and just to update you, Atlantis was quite violent and some of the jokes in there could be considered crude, but so was The Emperors New Groove, but it's not really that horrible. In fact, I think it's made many newer disney movies more enjoyable by both audiences. The problem doesnt lie within the joke being adult oriented or not, the problem lies with how its done. Most, if not all of that humor and violence was done rather tastefully, and soared right over kid's heads.

For example, the joke about Little bo Peep getting someone else to watch the sheep was hilarious, but done in a way that both kids and adults got the joke. The adults got the deeper referene and kids laugh at Woody making googlie faces and noises when bo-peep gets close. So the point is that good humor doesnt have to be George Carlin cursing at 90mph (though I do find him to be entertaining, especially his views on the world =^), but can also be rather clean.

Madison
08-12-2001, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Carolyn Duncan
I don't know if you guys have noticed this but Disnay isn't as kiddie as it used to be. Have any of you guys watched any of the Disney movies lately? I only watch them because I have cousins who are 7 and 2 and I babysit. The road to El Dorado had some semi adult moments between 2 characters, Joe died in Mighty Joe Young, and Toy Story 2 was NOT for little kids the jokes were awful. Oh well, I guess they are playing to the grown up crowd at the expense of their target age group.

Well, The Road to El Dorade was Dreamworks SKG. . . hopefully, one day they'll manage to give the Disney corporation the kick in the pants it needs.

But, I just wanted to point out that you all mustn't forget that Disney owns several other studios besides the traditional Disney. Touchstone Pictures, for one, and it's subsidiary, Dimension Films (they're responsible for all of those teen horror flick vehicles) . . . .

Disney isn't always saccharine sweet like people make it out to be. They're just in awkward place to be in a society that needs to delineate everything as being grown up or childish. . . Believe it or not, there are things that can entertain everyone :) It's good storytelling.

Anyway, I'm rambling. . .as you can tell, I have a bit of fondness for some of the Walt Disney Company's finer accomplishments.

~ Michael, who points people toward his avatar to see one of Disney's less child-friendly endeavors.

EddieMcD
08-12-2001, 07:06 PM
Eh. Give me the Rugrats Movies any day.

David Kelly
08-12-2001, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by EddieMcD
Eh. Give me the Rugrats Movies any day.

isn't that a show for really little kids? like elementary level? just wonderin, cause i don't watch that channel.

Matt Ryan
08-13-2001, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Kyle Fenton
In "Star Wars Episode I" I think to kiddish, to Disney like. Many of the older fans who loved the orginal star wars are all grown up. What George Lucas should have done was made a PG movie and a R rated movie. The PG would be for the little kiddies, and the R would be for the returning fans. If he done this than he would have more fans (the new ones and the old ones). The rated R version would be the same as the PG but would probably have more violence, sex, and language, you know the standard stuff you see in movies today. But he would keep the same story. It would almost be like the rated R version would be the true version, while the rated PG version would be like a TV edited movie.

In the original versions, people who were shot with blasters really were supposed to have HUGE craters blown in them with melted skin and limbs flying. He changed that because that would certainly be an "R" rated film.

EddieMcD
08-13-2001, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by David Kelly

isn't that a show for really little kids? like elementary level? just wonderin, cause i don't watch that channel.

Yeah. Doesn't mean I can't like them.

Kyle Fenton
08-13-2001, 09:25 PM
In the original versions, people who were shot with blasters really were supposed to have HUGE craters blown in them with melted skin and limbs flying. He changed that because that would certainly be an "R" rated film.

In RI now it is 18+ to see an R rated movie. Thats bull, just becuase it just happened and I just turned 17. When I went to see American Pie 2, my ID was rejected, and when I tried to sneek in they forced me out and posted guards at the entence because there was people in Jurasic Park III were just there to try to sneek in. But with no luck, even with the most clever tricks. I mean come on R rated should be like 15+, not 18+. At 15 I think that most people can relize the difference between right and wrong. See and the sad part is I have to wait until I can rent it from blockbuster, which you can rent even NC-17 movies with no ID.

Well, back to Star Wars. I think if they are not going to put an R and PG version in the theaters. They may make an "Un-Rated Version" which is growing incraslingly popular in DVDs. That is so cool, becuase unrated is unrated and anyone can buy them. But they can't be in the movie theaters, unless it is a local movie.

Clark Gilbert
08-13-2001, 10:24 PM
I know u could do this in a Kokomo theater but i've never tried it.....and it may not work in your theater depending on how its layed out.....

But all u have to do is buy a ticket to one movie then go see another......here in Kokomo it would be really easy (although i swear i've never done it) to just walk to a different theater/movie...

Just an idea, since i'm always thinking of things....:) :D ;)

EddieMcD
08-14-2001, 11:28 AM
I can think of one theater in our area in which you can do that.

Well, back to Star Wars. I think if they are not going to put an R and PG version in the theaters. They may make an "Un-Rated Version" which is growing incraslingly popular in DVDs. That is so cool, becuase unrated is unrated and anyone can buy them. But they can't be in the movie theaters, unless it is a local movie.

You've got to think George Lucas makes a lot of his profit from theaters. So chances are, it won't happen.

Carolyn Duncan
08-14-2001, 11:13 PM
Ok, I goofed on El Dorado but my point still remains. The jokes in the Disney movies don't belong there. Little kids are smarter than most adults give them credit for. When I baby sat and took the kids to a movie they would ask me about the jokes, they got it and I could tell. They were 5-7 years old. The crude jokes really are a bad idea. Look at the first Rugrats movie, the joke about Angelica flying, little kids get that. There is def. a line and it get crossed way too much.
As for theater hopping, the best theater to do that in is the AMC 24 theaters. You gotta plan it out though. Get a paper and schedule what time you'll go to what movie based on when it's showing, you gotta buy the ticket for the theater closest to the ticket taker first though. (Yes I've done this many time before and am a pro). The reason that you can rent an R movie before you can go see it is because Blockbuster is a private store and when you get a card you sign ther rules. Usually you cannot get a card if you are under 18 unless your parents allow it. Unrated is ok but then you have people who are stupind about it, like the parents who took their you ng children with them when they went to see Hannibal, I saw adults puking in the isles and heard plenty of screaming children, the worst was the little boy behind me who was too scared to move or scream. People see unrated and assume that anyone can watch the movie.
Anyways, Star Wars needs to have the old effects to be as good as the originals.

Robby O
08-15-2001, 12:38 AM
Just read this comic, you'll see what I mean.

http://www.pvponline.com/archive/2001/pvp20010814.gif

Perhaps that's quite true. It goes for a lot of things you grow up with as a kid. Much of the animation made in the 80's and early 90's was total trash, but I grew up on it, and as a kid, loved it. So I almost freak out when I hear older animation students trashing shows I loved as a kid. There's really just an emotional attatchment there, not a "hey, that's good, so pooh to you" kinda dealie. Anyways, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Then again, I'm quite the SW addict and even LIKE Jar-Jar Binks. So blah! :D

Carolyn Duncan
08-15-2001, 01:05 AM
I didn't see the original Str Wars until I was about 10 so it wasn't like I didn't know about crapy stuff. The thing that makes the originals so good is the things they did in the movie at that time. They didn't have all of the computer animation and graphics that are used do much now. It's not really trash.

EddieMcD
08-15-2001, 04:17 PM
Look at the first Rugrats movie, the joke about Angelica flying, little kids get that.

Phil: "I didn't know she could fly."

Lil: "I think it's cause she's a witch."

Is that good or bad that little kids get that one?

Carolyn Duncan
08-15-2001, 11:23 PM
Well when you consider Angelica's attitude and the way she acts towards the "babies" I think it's bad. It has a big underlying theme, kids do get it.

EddieMcD
08-16-2001, 04:27 PM
Chuckie: "What's your daddy doing, Tommy?"

Tommy: "My daddy's helping your daddy catch some dates in a net."

Chuckie: "What are dates?"

Phil: "Big raisins that make you poop."

Angelica: "What is it with you babies and poop?"

Tommy: "Where do you want us to start, Angelica?"

Come on, how can you think those jokes are bad?

Carolyn Duncan
08-16-2001, 04:29 PM
I didn't say that all of them are bad, just some of them. And why can you quote these jokes? I thought it was bad that I could talk about the movies but you can quote them. I don't feel so bad now.
j/k

EddieMcD
08-16-2001, 04:43 PM
I like the Rugrats. That's why I can quote them.

Carolyn Duncan
08-16-2001, 04:46 PM
My little cousin like rugrats too, she's 7 and needs to be tied up and hung from a ceiling fan while it's running. She makes Angelica look like an angel. What does it say to you? Angelica is her favorite character.

EddieMcD
08-16-2001, 04:56 PM
Angelica looking like an angel? Is that possible?

Carolyn Duncan
08-16-2001, 04:58 PM
In my cousin's case yup. Any kid that can throw her 2 year old sister nto the 10ft end of a swimming pool to teacher how to swim is definately a contender.

EddieMcD
08-16-2001, 05:13 PM
Geez, and I thought I was mean to my sister...

Carolyn Duncan
08-16-2001, 05:22 PM
I don't have any siblings so now that I live down here I'm gonna have to get her straightened up.

EddieMcD
08-16-2001, 05:34 PM
Tiny little relatives with that much of an age difference are pains-in-the-butt.

Carolyn Duncan
08-16-2001, 05:45 PM
Not for me. There on my mental level. Sad but true.

EddieMcD
08-17-2001, 04:12 PM
Ouch.