PDA

View Full Version : Team Name needs help

saxmann
01-11-2007, 09:49 PM
So this is our first year in FRC, we did FVC last year and were the robo cats, which as most know is pretty cheesy, i see all these cool names on the team sites and what not, and was wondering if any one had any ideas, this will be a fun competition, the best name goes on our T-Shirt, and the winnder receives a Pato n the back from me,

the team number is 2007
the school is Duluth High
Mascot is hte wildcat

Thanx guys

:D :D

bobmonkey836
01-11-2007, 09:52 PM
robo(insert name of fierce wildcat here)? i don't know. my team acually pulls from multiple schools, and we're the robobees.

Cody Carey
01-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Not the Corry beavers :D

Take a look at this tutorial for coming up with business/product names.
http://entrepreneurs.about.com/cs/gettingstarted/ht/business_name.htm

Should help you out a bit...

MattLi
01-11-2007, 10:04 PM
How about utalizing Puss in Boots from Shreck?
Roboclaw
Puuurfection (don't use that)
Die Katzen (cat in german)

bobmonkey836
01-11-2007, 10:13 PM
excuse me, it would be die Katzen for plural in German, but die Katze for singular, and probably die wildekatze for wild cat, nope. wilder Streik for wild cat and robot is der Roboter. all of these der's and die's (pronounced dee) are ways of saying "the" in German.

The Revolver
01-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Killer Cats?
Robo Felines?
The giant nasty killer hairballs from he... nevermind:rolleyes:

Éowyn
01-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Cougarbots?

Wildcat robotics?

Fuzzy
01-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Dueling Dulu's?

Spider-Man
01-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Duluth Danger
Duluth Danger Bots
Dangerous Dealings from Duluth

InfernoX14
01-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Why don't you try to elaborate on the fact that team 2007's rookie year happens to be 2007?

Make the best of your number! That's not going to happen again!

MattLi
01-11-2007, 10:39 PM
You could turn WildCats into an acronym. I don't know We Invent Legal Dynamic Crazy Active T... Systems (that's really bad but you get the general idea)

Cynette
01-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Why don't you try to elaborate on the fact that team 2007's rookie year happens to be 2007?

Make the best of your number! That's not going to happen again!Like Double-Double oh seven?:confused: :D

Gabe
01-11-2007, 11:18 PM
RoboLynx? Kind of a play on the word links, like in robotics.

MattLi
01-11-2007, 11:23 PM

Kudos Who doesn't like linux.

Protronie
01-11-2007, 11:46 PM

Nice Gabe thats kewl thinking :cool:

Yeah I'd stick with the cat theme... just a bigger more agressive cat.

Gabe
01-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Kudos Who doesn't like linux.
Actually, the spelling is correct as I was referring to the Lynx the distinguished wildcat, not Linux the distinguished penguin. ;)

Travis Hoffman
01-12-2007, 12:27 AM
"We're The Only FIRST Team Ever Whose Team Number Is Their Rookie Year So Nyah Nyah Nyah"?

I so wanted our local rookie team to get that number.

Sgraff_SRHS06
01-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Like Double-Double oh seven?:confused: :D

That's the very first Maryland team!!!! (7 from Parkville, MD aka 007)

How about this:

Sevens Down

i_stainbrook
01-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Nice to see a rookie FRC team nearby. There are two main routes you can go with this:

1. Use a robotics-related preifx (robo, techno, etc.) + a team distinguisher
2. Come up with something completely new and creative, like an acronym, play-on-words, etc.

My team is the Titans, so we just went with Techno Titans because it sounded good. I don't know many words that complement "Duluth," so I would suggest the creative route.

RoboDriver1718
01-29-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm throwing this out, but here are some ideas I came up with.

The Wild Robocats or The Wildcats or RoboCatz. thats about all i can think of, but good luck in your competitions and i hope you find a name.:D

raymaniac
01-29-2007, 05:15 PM
You could do something along the lines of "Gears and Claws".

Ericgehrken
01-29-2007, 05:20 PM
How about Terabyte Robotics because this year Hitachi managed put 1 terabyte of memory storage on a commercially available pc. A terabyte is equivalent to 1000 gigabytes.
Terabyte also goes with tearing and biting. Tearing and biting goes with cats.

TubaMorg
01-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Our team comes up with a different name every year. Maybe this year it will stick! (Rovatos Locos for the time being). Anyhow for your team I have to be honest, the only reason I looked at the thread was because I thought someone named their team "Team Name" which I thought was awesome!

wendymom
01-29-2007, 11:58 PM

Make the best of your number! That's not going to happen again!

How bout:
007, Cats.....Wildcats.......Licensed to Thrill.
Bondbots
QCats Robotics....like the gadgets guy from the movies.

Seriously...Exploding Bacon came from a name generation program on the internet, but the kids loved it and it stuck. Pick something you can either make really fun or really scary

kawelch
01-30-2007, 03:44 PM
The only problem with Robo Cats is that there already are several. I was formerly with Team 1653 RoboKatz. I liked it but the spelling was to distinguish us from other Robocats...sigh...

But i do agree...if you can't be fierce....be funny.

Robocat1
02-08-2007, 06:58 PM
We are the Robocats, Team 379, but our school is the Indians.

Back in 1999, perhaps because of the controversy over Indian mascots, we went in a different direction. It started with a student who created a cat into robot animation (I don't even know why). So, we're the Robocats, but there are other robocats too (don't know who came first, haven't researched it, but I do think FIRST should maintain a team name list so there aren't multiple teams with the same name so there's no confusion at competitions).

Bottom line, the name robocats is now as well known now as the label Indians in our town. That's cool with us!

Our team attempts to "set the pace" in our school district and having a unique name has helped us to do that. So, don't get too attached to your school's mascot when deciding on a name (not that there's anything wrong with connecting to your mascot, we just decided not to.) The point is, there's no "rule" so go with what your team wants. Be creative and make whatever name you choose be known for who you are/what you stand for.

Kim Masi
02-08-2007, 07:09 PM
why not just Wildcat Robotics?

We're Bobcat Robotics, sometimes reffered to as the Bobcats.

I think it sounds professional and keeps the integrity fo the school mascot as well as school spirit.

[edit]
I agree with Wendymom too. Perhaps play with the 007 idea, because not a lot of teams get a cool number like 2007. (which also happens to be this year, so you can play with that too)

Ericgehrken
02-08-2007, 07:42 PM
How about "Dual Bond" for 2 007;) .

LPaton716
02-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Clever names or ones that stand out because of their color scheme or mascot usually are the best.
( For example the Techno Ticks are from Old Lyme and they have a tick costume. We're from Housatonic (Hoo sah tonic) so we call ourselves the Who'sCTEKS...and then our TM is a "?" mark. There are lots of other great examples too.)

Remember if you are seeking local sponsors you want to have a name that will appeal to your community and a trademark/mascot that is memorable.

Also, I know I remember the teams that keep the same overall color scheme/theme from year to year the most.

Hope you have a fantastic rookie year.

65_Xero_Huskie
02-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Duluth Danger Bots

Im liking this one

RoboMom
02-09-2007, 10:42 AM
How bout:
007, Licensed to Thrill.
Bondbots
QCats Robotics....like the gadgets guy from the movies.

Team007 (Team 7) Parkville MD-their 11th year. Each year they have fun with the Bond theme and naming the bot. Q-bot, Odd Job, Golden Gear, Moonraker...

There was a team ?3 years ago, who did a great 007 spoof (not Parkville but from CA), with posters and FIRST.

Taylor
02-09-2007, 12:15 PM
2007 = 2 * 007 = Double Secret Agent (or DSA). I'm really digging the Bond theme here.

KathieK
02-09-2007, 01:21 PM
I would caution against using your school's mascot theme. Many teams find themselves merging with other schools, or bringing other school's students onto their teams. If you have a unique color scheme and mascot, there would be no questions about whose school mascot does the team use, etc.

RoboMom
02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
So this is our first year in FRC, we did FVC last year and were the robo cats, which as most know is pretty cheesy, i see all these cool names on the team sites and what not, and was wondering if any one had any ideas, this will be a fun competition, the best name goes on our T-Shirt, and the winnder receives a Pato n the back from me,

the team number is 2007
the school is Duluth High
Mascot is hte wildcat

Thanx guys

:D :D

Right now, your team name is "DHS" and your nickname is "Wildcats"
Since the program books are in the process for printing, that info is already set for the competition for this year. Of course, you can change it for your t-shirts, etc, but certain information is already in the pipeline. This happens a lot since the program book deadline is early http://www.usfirst.org/community/frc/content.aspx?id=454

Team 1007 is also from GA.