PDA

View Full Version : USB Chicklet

SleeveofWizard
01-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Is it possible to use more than one controller when using the USB Chicklet? If so do you need two USB Chicklets or can you use a splitter to separate the one USB port?

Fred Sayre
01-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Is it possible to use more than one controller when using the USB Chicklet? If so do you need two USB Chicklets or can you use a splitter to separate the one USB port?

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48865&highlight=usb+hub

and specifically:

Re: USB Joystick adapter is here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hill View Post
Is it possible to run multiple joysticks through a USB hub using only one unit?

The Chicklet only supports HID. It does not support HUB. We have a solution that does support HUB and other device classes however that solution was not cost effective. We wanted to keep the device affordable for FIRST Teams. Also the 15-pin joystick port does not provide enough interface to support more than one device. We have a device that outputs RS232 data instead of analog/digital. It is less expensive than the chicklet. If we had a serial port on the O/I this would have been the way to go.

Mike Copioli
CTRE
team 217

lilsmitty33
01-16-2007, 08:40 PM
does anyone know how to attach power to the usb-chicklet? i can't seem to find any clear instructions on powering the chicklet and i dont want to risk it with wiring it up wrong (backwards).
:ahh: :yikes:

Mike Copioli
01-16-2007, 09:39 PM
does anyone know how to attach power to the usb-chicklet? i can't seem to find any clear instructions on powering the chicklet and i dont want to risk it with wiring it up wrong (backwards).
:ahh: :yikes:

The Chicklet has protection against reversing its polarity so don't worry about that. The connector that is supplied with the chicklet comes apart buy unscrewing the metal plug from the plastic housing. The Chicklet needs a center positive to function. So solder the positive lead of a backup battery to the center terminal of the plug. The negative(black lead) goes to the outer terminal. Or while practicing you can use a 9 VDC (center positive)unregulated power supply.

predator_hunter
01-27-2007, 10:08 AM
hey does anyone know how to code the chicklet?

lilsmitty33
01-27-2007, 10:16 AM
does anyone know anything about the header pins on the chicklet. What do we use them for?:rolleyes:

Mike Copioli
01-27-2007, 03:39 PM
hey does anyone know how to code the chicklet?

The Chicklet does not require programming. It can be configured and calibrated which is what pins 1 and 2 on the header pins are for. Please read the user manual for more information:
http://www.ifirobotics.com/docs/usbchicklet-usermanual-rev1-1.pdf

Andrew Blair
01-27-2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48865&highlight=usb+hub

and specifically:

Re: USB Joystick adapter is here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hill View Post
Is it possible to run multiple joysticks through a USB hub using only one unit?

The Chicklet only supports HID. It does not support HUB. We have a solution that does support HUB and other device classes however that solution was not cost effective. We wanted to keep the device affordable for FIRST Teams. Also the 15-pin joystick port does not provide enough interface to support more than one device. We have a device that outputs RS232 data instead of analog/digital. It is less expensive than the chicklet. If we had a serial port on the O/I this would have been the way to go.

Mike Copioli
CTRE
team 217
About the serial port on the OI-

The OI has a radio modem port that is not used during competition. Is it a functioning serial port, or simply a hardwired deal that cannot be interfaced to run data into the competition port's data out?

Mike Copioli
01-27-2007, 08:03 PM
About the serial port on the OI-

The OI has a radio modem port that is not used during competition. Is it a functioning serial port, or simply a hardwired deal that cannot be interfaced to run data into the competition port's data out?

Actually the radio modem is used in competition. It is how the O/I communicates with the R/C. I think you mean the dashboard port, which provides output only.

finni
01-27-2007, 08:44 PM
has anyone tried mounting the chicklet in a project enclosure it so what size enclosure did you use and what did you you cut for access to the ports

whytheheckme
01-28-2007, 10:35 PM
One warning about the Chicklet:

Using the original X-Box controller. We had two. One made in China, and one made in Malaysia. The chicklet said that the one made in China was not supported, while the one made in Malaysia was. Just chance I brought two with me.

Anyway, It works.

Jacob

Mike Copioli
01-28-2007, 10:45 PM
One warning about the Chicklet:

Using the original X-Box controller. We had two. One made in China, and one made in Malaysia. The chicklet said that the one made in China was not supported, while the one made in Malaysia was. Just chance I brought two with me.

Anyway, It works.

Jacob

Yes, not all of the original X-box controllers are supported. There are so many differant variations of the x-box controller, it was not possible to support them all. For some reason thier PIDs are different. The same is true of the Logitech dual action gamepad. If you purchase an old one from E-bay there is no guarantee it will work. My suggestion is to by a new one(Logitech). They are only $20 and in our opinion a much better controller than the X-box or 360.