PDA

View Full Version : Filemaker Help?

acumenerratica
02-05-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm working on a FileMaker database for scouting this year. However, I've never used FileMaker before.

What I'm trying to do is set up an entry field of different metrics that are entered match by match for a specific team.

For example, if you were scouting Team xyz for match 1

you'd enter xyz as the team #, 1 for the match # and fill in the various parameters.

So far I have the entry fields set up, but I was wondering how to set up the records so that I can do the following:

>>Use the same form to enter each match (over several computers)
>>View ALL the match data sorted into groups of team, then match #, so if you looked up team xyz, you'd see a list of matches they were in, what teams they were with/against, and what they did in each match
>>network this database (i don't need as much help with this one)

KINGOFCLUBS454
02-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Hopefully this will help, but it might vary depending on what of Filemaker you're using.
>>network this database (i don't need as much help with this one)

Do this one first. To do this, just create a network between whatever computers you want to use, make sure the database is in a place accessible to the networked computers, then go to File>Open Remote and select the database you want to use.
>>Use the same form to enter each match (over several computers)

The Open Remote over the network should allow you to do that since you'll all be working on the same file.

>>View ALL the match data sorted into groups of team, then match #, so if you looked up team xyz, you'd see a list of matches they were in, what teams they were with/against, and what they did in each match

For that you are going to need to get into some more complex elements of Filemaker. What I found easiest to do for that situation was to create a separate table (database file) with a record for each individual team, and fields that automatically fill with each match's data as it is entered. I think the easiest way to explain the rest of it would be if I were to send you what I use, so if you're interested, drop me a pm and I'll be more than happy to help.