PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Sticker Design Preliminaries

Robby O
08-17-2001, 03:27 PM
Just let me know what you guys think. I have a few other ideas, but these three are preliminaries of the ones that I uploaded the last time this discussion was active. Any ideas, thoughts, changes, or anything else just reply to the thread and I'll make any changes neccessary. Once we finalize the design, the price can be finalized and we can have our stickers at last B^P! Woohoo!

http://stu.aii.edu/~ro091/images/sticker1.jpg
http://stu.aii.edu/~ro091/images/sticker2.jpg
http://stu.aii.edu/~ro091/images/sticker3.jpg

Bill Gold
08-17-2001, 03:37 PM
Robby,
Those look awesome. I'll be first in line for one if you get them made :)

Spooks180
08-17-2001, 05:01 PM
You've got my approval too!! I like the second one... nice idea... I'd be second in line to get one :) Just one more FIRST thing to be put on my car ;)

David Kelly
08-17-2001, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Spooks180
You've got my approval too!! I like the second one... nice idea... I'd be second in line to get one :) Just one more FIRST thing to be put on my car ;)

awesome job robby o!!! i really like #3 and #2 is very close behind. i'm 3rd in line. haha...lol

EddieMcD
08-17-2001, 07:08 PM
I get dibs on fourth!

They're all great, but I gotta go with #1.

Leon Machado IV
08-17-2001, 09:04 PM
AWESOME!!!! I was curious if we could grab the pics and use them if we could make our own stickers and stuff with them. I bought transparent stickers for car windows and have been making FIRST stuff out of them. Thanks.

Robby O
08-17-2001, 10:34 PM
<pickyArtist> Bah! Vhat garbage! Eet is all seempil like! No skeel at all! If you vere in mah home country, they vould skeeewer yeu like a sheeesh-kebab! </pickyArtist>

Ghad... I cant even keep my online accents straight. Okay, um, yea, if you guys wanna use em, I'm all for it. The only thing is that those arent hi-res, so the print-out may come out a little funky. Also, I had planned to get them printed on actual bumper stickers, so they would be weather proof. Not to mention that those arent even finalized, they're just samples. I'll tweak them as I or anyone else see's fit or makes note of.

For example, I forgot that I have to try and keep the color count low, so that the print is cheaper, so the heart needs to be single color. The first-Guy one isnt finalized. And the "I LOVE FIRST" inside the logo looks a bit cluttered. Then again, maybe I'm being picky B^P. If you guys do want to print what's already made on your own, may I suggest getting laminate sticky backs at kinkos??? If you trim out the paper to the sticker size, then laminate and leave a 1/4 inch border, you get a near-permanent sticker. I made some really nice ones outta the FIRST-logo only, which were cut to the exact shape of the logo, but were EXTREMELY time consuming to make, so I dont have plans on making loads of those, sorry B^P.

But once we pick a design, or even two, the way I planned to do it was for everyone to send a self-addressed-stamped-envelope for each bumper sticker with the money for it in there. It's probably going to range around 50 cents per sticker, if not less. But we need to get many people on it for it to cost that. We'll figure out the details as things are finalized.

Carolyn Duncan
08-17-2001, 11:01 PM
These are great Robby. I'll be right there in line to get a few stickers. I'm really likin' #2 and #3. I'm lookin' forward to getting some on some vehicles.

Spooks180
08-18-2001, 09:39 AM
I'll definitely be sending to get some, maybe all 3... there are three vehicles here at my house :) And it would be great to get FIRSTs name out there a little more.

EddieMcD
08-18-2001, 09:57 AM
What you do is take, say 50, and put them all around one car. Then you take another 50, and put them on another car. Not many people will miss that many bumper stickers.

Brett
08-19-2001, 01:36 AM
Hmm, on #1, I would say make the "I" a little bit bigger, it seems there's a lot of empty space over there. That is all, drive through :)

If you do get 'em made, i'm 6th in line (or whatever's next).

Elgin Clock
08-19-2001, 10:42 PM
The third one while so cool as to be the only one to incorporate a robot into it, is not the first one i'd pick. Just because the simple reason that usually bumper stickers are usually horizontal to actually fit on a bumper. Not that that really matters nowadays cause people put them wherever they want on there car but just my 2 cents.

A. Leese
08-20-2001, 01:15 PM
Awesome stickers, Robby! I'll take one and stick it on something or another (I have no car and I think my mom would injure me if I put it on her car). Just let me know if/when/where I can get 'em.

~Angela who will bring everyone Dew to drink when they're in line to get these stickers

EddieMcD
08-20-2001, 06:04 PM
Dew!

Hey, you make a sticker that says "Mountain Dew: Official energizer of FIRST kids around the world."

David Kelly
08-20-2001, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by EddieMcD
Dew!

Hey, you make a sticker that says "Mountain Dew: Official energizer of FIRST kids around the world."

but not every FIRST kid thinks that Dew is good enough. personally, i think Dew is nasty.

Carolyn Duncan
08-20-2001, 07:43 PM
Dew!
Can you say copyright infringement? That would be sooooo illegal.
but not every FIRST kid thinks that Dew is good enough. personally, i think Dew is nasty.
I agree! Dew is what I imagine... well a similar looking substance... as tasting like.
Anyway back on topic, I'd be proud t sport any of the stickers on one of my vehicles. It would also be neat if we took some to Dean and Woodie.

Leon Machado IV
08-21-2001, 04:00 PM
Personally, I think Pepsi is the best.

Bill Gold
08-21-2001, 04:10 PM
Coca Cola in 'da house :D

FotoPlasma
08-21-2001, 04:16 PM
you all are so wrong...

Jolt is the best!

Carolyn Duncan
08-21-2001, 04:34 PM
PEPSI!!!! I love PEPSI! Did you ever have the crystal PEPSI? That stuff was great. PEPSI is my personal choice for the best soda.
Enough off topic though.

Clark Gilbert
08-21-2001, 05:29 PM
Have u tried the Pepsi Twist yet???

It's GREAT!!!!

:) :D :cool:

EddieMcD
08-21-2001, 07:39 PM
Crystal Pepsi rocked! I myself prefer Coke to Pepsi, but Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi. Weird, huh?

Uh, we're getting a bit off topic here, don't you think?

Elgin Clock
08-21-2001, 07:42 PM
Well what do we have here?? Can you say "off topic"???:mad:

Here's the perfect thread to test any solution for off topic posts!!

Now back to the bumper stickers!!!!

Any thoughts on making a FIRST euro-graphic sticker?? The white ovals with Letters.

FotoPlasma
08-21-2001, 07:49 PM
if anyone here knows what PC Accelerator is/was, you'll know where this comes from:

Pepsi = $@#$@#$@#-Cola

David Kelly
08-21-2001, 08:40 PM
i thought that the FIRST symbols weren't allowed to be changed in any manner? because the Indiana FIRST teams had their version of the FIRST symbol and it got shot down. Is that right Andy B?

Clark Gilbert
08-21-2001, 08:42 PM
That was a very cool logo that someone made.....i think i have it saved somewhere, but i'll leave the posting of it to the person who made it just so i dont make anyone mad or anything...

:)

(IM me at Twinattack is u want to see it)

Joel J
08-21-2001, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by David Kelly
i thought that the FIRST symbols weren't allowed to be changed in any manner? because the Indiana FIRST teams had their version of the FIRST symbol and it got shot down. Is that right Andy B? Based on what I saw (http://www.usfirst.org/teampage_faq.html) on the FIRST (http://www.usfirst.org) web-site, all you have to do is get their written consent (the logo is trademarked).

Clark Gilbert
08-22-2001, 05:36 PM
I dont think they will give u "permission" to use a modified FIRST symbol....(key word being "think")

New Smiley Test: http://forum.btwracing.com/images/smilies/nod.gif http://forum.btwracing.com/images/smilies/sad.gif http://forum.btwracing.com/images/smilies/hmm.gif
http://forum.btwracing.com/avatar.php?userid=1117&dateline=995412649

Andy Baker
08-23-2001, 11:50 AM
I made a logo for Indiana FIRST... it was a solid model of the FIRST logo, but with the lower left corner of the blue square stretched down to look like boxy state of Indiana. It was pretty cool.

So, like the good boy I am, I did the right thing and asked FIRST for permission if we could use this derivation of their logo. It took a while for an answer, but finally, they said "no".

Their reasoning was that if Indiana FIRST really took off, then we could eventually infringe on FIRST's trademarked logo. There is documentation from FIRST saying that we are not to alter their logo, as David has pointed out above. I would guess that it would be hard to get FIRST's written permission to use an altered state of their logo.

FIRST realizes that there are teams who incorporate the FIRST logo into their team logos, but FIRST isn't doing anything about it for now.

I think that team 500 uses FIRST's logo and I would guess that they got FIRST's permission to use it.

Andy B.

ps... I would post the logo, but I deleted it. Clark, do you still have it? If so, go ahead and post it.

Clark Gilbert
08-23-2001, 05:17 PM
Why would i delete it?.....It's simple, but very cool, especially if you are from Indiana...:)

David Kelly
08-24-2001, 12:30 PM
Do you think that FIRST will ever let us use it? I hate to throw it away like that.

P.S. I posted this at school. WOOOHOOOO!!!!!:D :p

Lora Knepper
08-24-2001, 05:14 PM
Hmm...cool designs Robby. My only issue is that outside of other FIRSTers - not many people know what FIRST is. I s'pose in my ideal world the word "Robotics" would be incorporated somehow.

Other than that, I love them. The 3rd one especially - though I agree with Elgin that the vertical line up would make it a pain to find a spot for. Number 2 is my next fav. Anywho, no matter what, count me in on the purchase especially now that I'm finally learning to drive :p

~ lora

Nate
08-25-2001, 05:35 PM
If you do not write anthing about robotics on the bumper sticker it looks a little odd and people might get the wrong impression. If I was a passer by any saw the rainbow lookin bumper stick i would think they were for some gay organization. (I hope no one takes that the wrong way.) But that's what I would think. I personally like the regualar untampered with first logo.

-Nate

EddieMcD
08-28-2001, 06:44 PM
Thats why they put the web site on it. People will be so interested in that weird little logo, that they'd want to see what it meant, and go to the site, eventually finding out what we are.

Robby O
08-28-2001, 10:04 PM
Okay, I think the best way to do this is just start with simple bumper-stickers that have merely the logo, the website, and saying: "We were here waaay before all those other guys got thier own shows". Or some other tagline (ideas for a tagline??? New thread perhaps).

Not only would this be cheaper, but I'm wondering if printing the stickers could get us, or probably more likely me, into trouble with FIRST. Probably not though, 'cause I'm not selling them for profit, and they are going to help the promotion of FIRST. I think after we get a design that everyone is cool with, I'll have to write FIRST to let em know what we're up to and if they're cool with it.

I'll keep everyone updated as far as prices and new designs go though.

EddieMcD
09-02-2001, 10:18 AM
"Before Battlebots came Junkyard Wars. Before Junkyard Wars came Robot Wars. But before Robot Wars came FIRST."

Uh, anyone care to shorten that?

Lng_02
09-02-2001, 07:48 PM
What about:

We were here FIRST, no really.

EddieMcD
09-02-2001, 08:11 PM
Hehe. That's good.

Madison
09-03-2001, 08:54 AM
To make it grammatically correct -

We were here FIRST. No, really.

Or, at least, that's about as close as I can get this morning. I'm tired. But, seeing as "No, really" isn't a sentence. . .

Well. . .anyway, don't you think the reference is a bit obscure for most everyone but the people who post here?

I know my mom once told me that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all . . but, I'll just use my previous excuse and say it's early.

Carolyn Duncan
09-03-2001, 09:58 AM
As for the No, really. It could be put No, really... it is actually a sentence, subject is understood, really is an adverb, and no would be the verb. It's not the best example of a sentence but it is, in fact a sentence.
How a bout another idea?
FIRST: The original robot competition
I'm working on trying to have one that uses the words inspire, science, and technoogy. But thus far have do so to no avail. They're all too long or just bad. Can anyone else come up with one?

Nate
09-03-2001, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Nate
If you do not write anthing about robotics on the bumper sticker it looks a little odd and people might get the wrong impression. If I was a passer by any saw the rainbow lookin bumper stick i would think they were for some gay organization. (I hope no one takes that the wrong way.) But that's what I would think. I personally like the regualar untampered with first logo.

-Nate
__________________________________________________ _
Thats why they put the web site on it. People will be so interested in that weird little logo, that they'd want to see what it meant, and go to the site, eventually finding out what we are.
__________________________________________________ _

If i saw a gay bumper stick i would not go to the web-site on it. (not sayin to bumper stickers are gay, just "colorful". Maybe it's just me but i would never go to a gay web site that i saw on a bumper stick. And i guess from the qoute other people would.
But I do like the bumper sticker idea.(less heart's on ti and more robot's)
Nate

Joel J
09-04-2001, 04:47 PM
We were here FIRST. No really.Hmm. Seems to me that you have placed a period between the independent clause (We were here FIRST) and the phrase (No really). One of two things can be done: A comma could be used to join the clause with the phrase, or you could change the phrase a little and make it a "supporter" of the clause. Respectively: "We were here FIRST, no really.:D " or "We were here FIRST: we really were." I am not sure about the colon. Does this grammar thing really matter that much anyway?:confused:

Here's my idea: "FIRST: Isn't that where we all want to be?"

Carolyn Duncan
09-05-2001, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Joel J.
Here's my idea: "FIRST: Isn't that where we all want to be?"
I like it.