PDA

View Full Version : Championship 2007 - Atlanta - What Went Well or What You Liked

dangerousdave
04-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Tell us what you liked or thought went very well at the 2007 Championship event.
Dave

Sakura141
04-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Well, from watching the webcasts, it was pretty solid on Curie till around... 11 or so today. But that's only from the webcast point of view.

Brandon Holley
04-14-2007, 08:38 PM
3rd highest capping average in our division and we didnt get picked :(

Zyik
04-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Although I was watching from the webcast it seems likes the refs were going about their job quickly and organized. They didn't hold up any games, well at least not that I watched.

Also, I do have to say that the speeches were better this year. I liked the Autodesk one talking about the DARPA one myself.

hayakuneko
04-14-2007, 09:02 PM
hmm a lot of things happened to go wrong. for 3 of our 5 matches on friday, we had problems. the power distribution block loosened and one of the battery guaged wires fell out. then during another match we got stuck on a tube and were penalized? and then in the 3rd one, one of our black battery cables came loose... then we won the other two.

today... i just don't know... it seems like a good experience for a first timer at Nats... right? I think we could have done better, we definitely had the potential, but things just didn't work in our favor... but it was fun supporting beachbots in the curie/einstein finals!

527point
04-14-2007, 09:13 PM
I believe the point of this thread was for the whole experience...

Sakura141
04-14-2007, 09:41 PM
I vote for more dancing. Honestly, watching that webcast, we need to dance more.

Ok in all honestly I do meen that, at SVR and Davis there were areas for dancing team-members, there should be one per divison at championships to. However, space in the dome makes this unlikely.

Yeah... From what I remember from a couple years ago (last time my team was there was 05) there wasn't any room to really dance when the dance songs came on.

Maybe, if more room is made for the dancers, more dance music could be played =D I find that playing the dance music definatly brings out the spirit in some teams.

whytheheckme
04-14-2007, 11:16 PM
DUDE THE CHAMPS ROXORED!!!!!!

[/allcapsexcitement]

That was the most awesome thing I have ever experienced. Ever.

I got to meet a whole bunch of cool people, saw some all-out awesome matches, and ate crappy stadium food! It was sick.

You'll see me, if not my whole team, next year!

Jacob

Doug G
04-15-2007, 12:23 AM
I watched as much as I could on NASA TV and the WebCasts and was really entertained this year. The Einstein matches were really exciting!! But....

Maybe it's me, but I think if we played the Einstein matches again we'd likely have a different outcome and if played a 3rd time perhaps yet a different winner. Many of these alliances in the division finals and in Einstein were really, really good. None of them really stuck out like in year's past.

Also, 102 QF Matches with ~80 teams in each division? You play 7 matches and if you drop 2 for some odd reason, as previously mentioned, your rank is low enough that you may get missed by an AC. Someone already mentioned how some really good teams didn't get picked or weren't picked by a top seed, well scouting at Nats is really tough. The logistics of scouting are more difficult and often teams lack enough students who could make the trip to provide adequate scouts for that many teams (many of which are really good).

Anyhow, it seems to be getting really big; and closing ceremonies didn't conclude until 7 pm EST, that makes for a long day. Next year more regionals, more teams, could the Championships be bigger next year. I hope not. Don't get me wrong it's an experience all teams should get, but they may want to extend it to Sunday or start it earlier.

my $.02

mtaman02
04-15-2007, 12:28 AM
I finally met The Infamouse CD Forums Creator and now the new edition to IFI's family Brandon Martus. He happened to be administering the Archimedes Field. I also crossed JVN's path a few times on Newton. I was to Team Queue the Red Side on Newton but got held up on Tube Inflation all Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and part of Saturday =( due to the lack of Field Repair / Reset personnel. However I managed to recruit 2 lost Team Queuers who didn't meet up with our Supervisor and an Asst. Score Keeper who Didn't like where they ended so I ended up having some help late Friday all the way into Saturday on top of switching back and forth with my Queuing Assistant =). I think Newton ran extremely well with no Field Resets / Scoring Difficulties. One of the many complaints I have is that you couldn't hear the music on the field all that well which is the A/V crews fault. The next problem I have with Newton was that the Head Ref continiously hid the Blue Keepers from teams by putting them in an area where the alliance would not be able to immediatley find them after I continiously moved them to places where they would be out of the way. :mad:

Daniel Brim
04-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Reading the initial post and the thread title, it looks to me like this thread is intended for the positive aspects of the Championship.

That cockroach robot was awesome. One of the coolest things that I've seen in awhile.

ay2b
04-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Overall, I think things went well, at least on Galileo. We kept on schedule +/- ~2 minutes all the way until the eliminations on Saturday afternoon. (Mostly it was everyone taking time-outs that threw us off schedule for the elims.) This means that generally everything was going well, from teams showing up on time, being ready to play, queuing working well, very few field problems, good calls by refs (which lead to very few team protests, which take time to resolve), etc.

At the end, I thought the way they "handed out" the game pieces went very poorly. After the final match, but before the end of the awards, they announced that anyone could take any of the inflated game pieces. The people who were on the dome floor already then immediately grabbed them, some people taking as many as 8. People in the stands rushed to the stairs, wanting to go grab some, but were prevented from doing so. Some people jumped over the railing onto the dome floor to get some. Some of the people on the floor picked up pieces and threw them into the stands. Many people were focused on trying to grab game pieces and were not paying attention to the remainder of the ceremony. I think if they were going to have a free-for-all "take any game pieces", they should have waited until the end of the awards, and THEN announced that anyone could come onto the field and take ONE game piece. (On the other hand, I personally benefited from them doing it the way they did, picking up a keeper for myself.)

dangerousdave
04-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Come on members, at least 7 out of 11 comments here are not positive. If you have a negative comment take it to that (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56831)thread.

Bongle
04-15-2007, 01:28 PM
As I posted to correct someone in the negative thread: apparently the confetti balloons weren't there this year, obscuring vision in the upper levels. That's good.

I liked the speeches this year. IIRC, last year there was a congressman and a senator who gave pretty rah-rah pro-america speeches to the international crowd that was kind of wierd and felt like a USA political rally (and given that it was a midterm election year, that's probably how the politicians saw it too). The DARPA man (forget his name) and the YouTube founder (Chad Hurley) were really good this year. Sergei's speech last year was kind of bizarre (robot carrying the golden ball).

Robocat1
04-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Dean, Woody, Dave and others being so giving of their time, autographs, and picture opportunities made the week (year?) for at least 8 members of my team. Coming home with pictures and autographs is really meaningful to many students and very inspiring. My seniors already have plans for their pics with Dean and Woody to be on display at their graduation parties!

Team 48's photographer taking team professional pictures (thanks) was a logistics nightmare, I'm sure, and is very appreciated!

The DARPA (???) video was VERY cool and inspiring - maybe next year we can have some of these cars/robots and the robotic arm on display too!

rfolea
04-15-2007, 02:55 PM
The entire weekend was outstanding.

We had a blast.

We were impressed with how well they were able to deal with the inclimate weather and the social - kudos! How many other venues in the country could have accomodated that huge change at the last minute?

Someone mentioned that no one alliance stood out - that is a credit to the game design committee - they designed a game that required everyone working to gether to pull off a win, as compared to last year where one dominant team could carry the alliance. Congrats!

My suggestion list (these are VERY minor nits when compared to the overall experience, which was nearly flawless from our perspective):

1. Make the fonts bigger on the screens - the team numbers and scores are too small for us old farts to see. I took pictures of the screen at max zoom and still couldn't read the numbers ...

2. Why were the aisles so narrow in the pits - ours was only 8 feet wide, yet the aisles between the divisions were HUGE. Seems like the space could have been better alloacted - things were very cramped...

3. Hotel ordering system. We need to get receipts with the HOTELs confirmation number, not the vendors. We had an issue with the hotel and couldn't resolve it because the Hotel couldn't sync our confirmation numbers with theirs. The Hilton was VERY nice about it and got it fixed, but it took us 2 hours to register and get rooms for the kids.

Again - these are MINOR compared to the wonderful time we had - we can't wait for next year!

- Rick

FIRST Rocks
04-15-2007, 04:04 PM
1. Make the fonts bigger on the screens - the team numbers and scores are too small for us old farts to see. I took pictures of the screen at max zoom and still couldn't read the numbers ...
This is not because of the font size, but the low picture quality of the screens they used. At regionals they used projector screens, which looked good. At Championship, projectors would block the audience's view of the screen, so they have to use LED screens. The ones they used had poor picture quality. They should get better quality screens. I'm sure they don't because of cost. That being said, I really liked the widescreen on Einstein. The only nit pick I had with it was when they showed both driver station views on either side of the match, they were so distorted I couldn't tell what they were showing.

rarprrydude234
04-15-2007, 04:15 PM
overall, i feel this year went pretty well. the only thing i felt that was wrong was the random qualifying alliences. we were with many of the same teams throughout all of each competition and did not get to see all of the teams. i understand this at the championship with 86 teams in a division but i really feel that the teams that have the same alliance partners for 2 or 3 matches are a little distraught. this was not only our team but many others. i felt that the championships went pretty well. it was well organized except for what i have stated above and i do believe many teams would agree.
thanks for a great year.

Billfred
04-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Well, I posted the down side, here's the plus side from me:

1) THANK YOU for leaving the FVC/FLL path open on Saturday. This path is also quite convenient for crew and other folks who access the internals of the Dome, and I missed having it last year.

2) I liked the change in procedure for volunteer parking on the Gold Deck. Using the sign-in list is a much cleaner setup than trying to scramble for passes on Wednesday night.

3) Whoever came up with the wide-screen idea for Einstein was a genius.

3a) Whoever came up with the idea for having the alliance station cameras on the sides of the main feed was also a genius.

4) The food seemed better than last year for the volunteers. Bravo to the catering folks.

5) Thumbs-up for moving the FIRST Finale indoors. Having it in the GWCC hall might not have been as awesome visually as in Centennial Park, but at least we stayed mostly dry. (And those brownies with the marshmallows are addictive.)

6) Awards were well-timed overall. Having something between Einstein F2 and F3 would've been nice, but it's understandable that FRC tournaments are unpredictable.

7) Of all of the years I've stayed for Einstein, this year seemed to have the clearest communication about who has reserved seating.

8) Fully realizing that repeating the FLL and FVC awards during the finals is impractical, I do appreciate recognizing the FLL Champions Award and FVC Inspire Award recipients.

9) The on-field highlight reels while teams came down for awards was great. (I'd love to see something similar for the division champions, if that could be edited down fast enough.)

If I can think of more later, I'll add to my list.

whytheheckme
04-15-2007, 05:45 PM
There was a lot of things i didnt like about the nationals this year. The whole atmosphere of the finals didnt seem as intese as they did in the past years. In the past the normal lights in the stadium were shut off and only the stage lights were on. It just made things seem so more cooler and intese when they do that. No confettie when the chairmans award was anouced, I thought the chairmans was suppose to be the biggest deal. I thought it was the coolest thing when the winner was rained with confetie.

I dont know if it was either the game or the was it was presented it just didnt seem like a National event. Dont get me wrong, i still had loads of fun and learned a lot. And everyone was very polite and a grand time to be around. I dont know if its just me put i had the feeling the presentation aspect was a little lacking as compared to past years at nationals.

But over all i really really liked the expierence. My list for a good review is way longer than the negative for national. Those two things are the only thing I found i didnt like about This year at atlanta. With only two things wrong about anything is a really really job well done in my book. (unless those two things happen to be a major aspect.)

Perhaps move (delete and repost) this here?:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=56831

Just a suggestion.

Jacob

Monochron
04-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Things went strange for us. We started doing our normal offense. Our max score on Thursday was 6 and we average around 3ish.
Late Friday though we changed to a defense strategy and didn't lose a single match. It was pretty great (except for me being arm operator).

defense was never a design goal for our robot, but it just worked great. No alliance (in ranking matches) scored more than 3 tubes against us. :)

Luckyfish05
04-15-2007, 06:35 PM
There were so many things that I really enjoyed about Atlanta this year.

1. As usual the creativity and originality of the robots was pretty awesome. No, two robots are Identical. How awesome our minds are.

2. The presentations for the Closing Cereomonies were pretty awesome. Showing these students what they can accomplish if they want to is pretty sweet. But, It's also cool for everyone to see the "toys" that Darpa comes up with. Can anyone get me one of those cockroaches?

3. Dean Kamen's Arm- Completely amazing, makes me think about wanting to be working in the Prostetics part of the Medical world when I become a nurse. We'll see what the future brings. I can't wait to see how that changes the world.

4.Announcers and MCs- Ours on Newton at least were pretty awesome!!!

5. Georgia Dome and Convention Center- Seriously guys where else could we be able to handle everyone at once?

6. Good matches- Yes, I know, a lot of people don't like the way the randomization still occurs, but that said there were still a lot of good matches this weekend.

7. The Finals matches on Einstein- There is nothing better than the finals on Einstein.

8. Taking a group of 10 students (who have never been involved in FIRST before) and having them understand it by the weekend was over!- I had one student tell me Friday night that Friday was the happiest day of his life, and another tell me that next year they're ready to start on the Homework for next year. That says we did something right.

9. Of course, that screen on Einstein was pretty sweet too.

I've lost my train of thought and I need to get caught up on the studying I've missed the past couple of days.

BlondeNerd
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Keep in mind that I had never been to the Championships before...

The sheer size of the event. When I walked into the Dome as a human player for the first time, I stopped because I was overwhelmed by the size of the venue

Playing with the other teams. The constant Frisbee outside was a really fun way to play with and meet other teams from other divisions and let off some steam

All of the Segways! I got to (try to) ride one!

The energized announcers! Their constant energy helped me wake up every time I entered the dome!

The Lego League teams. There were so many little ones walking around! The 'nerdlets' as my teams call them, are the future of the program. It was great to see so many young kids involved in their robots.

Having 7 matches. We were expecting 5, 6 at the max. We were very grateful when we received our schedule that we were playing 7 matches. It didn't help our ranking much, but it definitely added to the great experience of playing at the world championships.

Dean Kamen signed our robot! After a hard day with only 1 win, Dean's agreement to autograph our 'bot really lifted our spirits. That was really awesome of him.

Alan Anderson
04-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Field problems were not an issue. The practice and qualification matches stayed pretty much on (or even a bit ahead of) schedule.

The pit area layout works well, with no obvious traffic jam spots. I didn't notice significant congestion at the inspection station or practice field.

I appreciate not having my backpack searched when entering the GWCC. Occasional small snacks are important when going non-stop for a couple of days.

It was very nice not having any confetti balloons in the way this year.

AmyPrib
04-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Among the other positives noted previously, which I agree with, here's a couple more:

I felt there was a better presence of Dome staff around - and they knew what they were supposed to be doing for the most part. They were looking for credentials to different areas, and they were able to answer questions...at least the ones I encountered...and they were friendly too.

The seating areas around Einstien were roped off well and in advance, unlike last year. The only addition they might consider is adding signage to the rows or section entrance about which seating is for which groups (2 team reps, finals teams, judges, vips, etc). Maybe that could help others not just disregard the caution tape and realize there is a purpose to it.
On a side note of caution tape - I did find it rude that teams were disregarding the caution area during the water leak on Galileo. While extremely frustrating, most everyone respected and followed the direction of staff. The staff did what they could to get it opened, and we shouldn't be refusing to move when they obviously roped it off and restricted access.

I thought signage was better this year in general, directing people of different groups to various place.

Speeches and speakers in ceremonies were great. Kept pretty short, but had good impact.

Fields were on time! And apparently some ahead of time, which should be wrangled back to being on time by inserting some fun delays.

Wrap party indoors was a great move due to weather. I initially thought there weren't going to be backup plans. It was quite loud in there, but regardless, it looked like everyone was having fun.

triggerhappy336
04-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Our team got to talk to Woodie Flowers. Then we gave him one of our highly sought after robotic pens, and he liked it just as much as you guys did :D

There was allot of other good stuff, most of which has been mentioned by other posters.

JaneYoung
04-16-2007, 03:15 PM
I loved the Hall of Fame set-up, access, and availability.

Thank you HOFs for the time and effort you put into your displays and for manning them continuously.

That was a highlight. I hope everyone had a chance to visit and learn.

Jane

Andy Baker
04-16-2007, 03:47 PM
What went well...

The FIRST signs all around downtown Atlanta were a nice welcome.

The view from the top of the Westin is outstanding. Many of the kids on team 45 have never seen such a facility or view.

The Braves game on Friday night was nice... good weather, great facility, and a good thing to do with a FIRST team. ... and 300 of your Indiana FIRST friends.

Teams in the Galileo division were great. As a mentor and drive coach on team 45, I did not run into a bad situation at all. I was even happy to get to know some people and teams that we have not known in the past.

The practice field for Galileo and Newton was managed incredibly well. Richard Wallace and another young lady ran it, and they did great. Major kudos to Richard.

Blair and Andy Grady on Galileo were a great pair at m/c and announcer. Those two are highly professional, and as entertaining as any duo.

Colleen Shaver, along with Dave and Nancy Kelso ran the Championship Conferences very well. As a presenter with Bill Beatty, their instructions and directions were clear. The facility was easily usable, and they were most helpful.

I liked that Ben Wrightsman and Gene Carey of Diversified Systems were located next to the AndyMark booth at the Supplier's Showcase, and they helped my wife at times during the 2 days that the booth was open.

I liked the opportunity to buy the "Behind the Design" and "FIRST" books at the Logo-Loc store. Also, I had the great pleasure of meeting Ann, the author of the "FIRST" book. She had me and my wife both autograph the book.

The announcement during Friday's opening ceremonies that Dr. William Murphy's father's Nobel Prize trust fund will be transferred to help support the Woodie Flowers Award was immense. Dr. Murphy is a hero to many of us in FIRST, and this gift to FIRST is huge. Many thanks to Dr. Murphy and his family.

Being a FIRST supplier, my wife and I took advantage of a few of the things that are offered to VIP's who are attending the Championships. The care of VIP's is impressive. We could not attend the dinner on Friday night, and will hopefully make it next year.

It was great to be allied with the Thunderchickens for the elimination rounds.

There are more, but enough for now.

Andy B.

Madison
04-16-2007, 04:12 PM
I've complained, so I might as well say a nice thing or two as well. Those who know me well know how hard this'll be and will appreciate the effort :p Many of these items may be inapplicable to the event itself, but there were some fun things that happened for us that deserve recognition.

The volunteers in Atlanta were all exceptionally friendly. I think larger venues are less stressful for everyone involved. I certainly did not miss being yelled at by queueing volunteers and pit announcers.
Tytus was, by far, the most amenable inspector we've ever encountered and everyone on our team loved having him come by. I think they appreciated that he seems to be as honest and blunt about things as I am :) Passing inspection by 1:30 in the afternoon is, for us, also awesome. So, inspection was good and sensible.
The referees explained penalties and scoring idiosyncracies to teams before they'd left the field. Even if we didn't agree with all of their decisions, I was happy that they were at least telling us what to expect from the score. It's easier to be calm when you're not completely baffled by the score as it appears on the big screens. I did not see enough matches to speak to what others have said about inconsistency.
I don't know why or how, but my team was able to provide me with a constant supply of croisants all weekend. As this was the only food I could keep down, this was a life saver.
I'll devote a thread to this item, I'm sure, but I can't express how grateful 'team xbot' is to Mark Leon for taking the time to come to an ice cream social we held with our friends from the Pacific Northwest and Silicon Valley Regionals on Thursday evening. I can't imagine how many people and responsibilities were vying for his attention and it meant so much to the kids on my team to have him stop by and tell a few stories. People like him make FIRST what it is.

Grant Cox
04-16-2007, 09:10 PM
- the Finale was AMAZING. The shows were awesome (seeing our operator get hypnotized was something I would've paid to see), the music was loud, the dancing/socializing was fun, the food was good. I wasn't there last year, but from what I hear it was outside and spread out and just not as fun. I'd definitely vote for indoors again next year; just the atmosphere with dimmed lights and loud music and everything made it so much more fun.

- although this may have just been the outcome of having so many FIRST kids in one place, I loved the energy. Even after being eliminated fairly early (grumble grumble), I went back up to the stands and cheered with some friends for teams like 1902 and 233, just for the sake of cheering and having fun (resulting in the loss of my voice by the end of the day)

- being able to go outside and just "chill" between matches and such was such an unexpected, remarkable plus. Whether it was playing frisbee with other teams, talking to people, or just laying down in the sun or by the fountains, the spirit and atmosphere was just great. I tried so hard to get some of the other people on our team out of the pits and into the fresh air for just 10 minutes, just so they could experience a facet of the competition that really was unique to FIRST

It was a fun event for a LOT of reasons, but these were the three major elements that I wanted to make sure I threw out there. Other personal things that were cool were getting Woodie's autograph, seeing Steve Wozniak (he was a judge! :eek: ), and getting the chance to finally play a match or two WITH the TechnoKats instead of against them (you guys are awesome, I'd been waiting for that ever since St. Louis). I loved the DARPA guy too, as well as Chad Hurley.

Anastasia
04-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Great Speakers! I'm amazed at the influential people that were brought in. It was amazing to see how much recognition FIRST is getting. Amazing video from DARPA.

International teams. Just seeing how far FIRST has spread, inspiring so many...It was great.

Queuing was efficient, and the path between the dome and the pits was kept free from any sort of "traffic".

Some rules that were more open to interpretation were explained and taken care of before matches started.

Everything was running pretty well on time!

I was also very impressed with team 1902, Exploding Bacon. I worked at the practice arena for Newton and Galileo for a few hours towards the end of the day on Thursday. Even though I was wearing my team shirt and not a volunteer shirt (and was a high schooler) they followed instructions and listened on the practice field.
I was also impressed how a people from the team came up to me personally just to say "I'd just like to thank you again for all the work you're doing volunteering. You're doing a great job." It felt GREAT and definitely made my weekend! It was just very nice to be appreciated and recognized =] Thank you!

nerd_dad
04-16-2007, 10:34 PM
I have to say that Atlanta did a fantastic job for this event. As an old guy who's seen a lot of conventions, expos, and tournaments, I felt that the facilities were top-notch, the staff friendly, the food edible, and even the airport security wasn't the nightmare that I had been expecting.

I'm sure everyone has legitimate gripes -- as a long time Diet Coke fiend, I resented the fact that it was 50 cents more in the Dome than in the Congress Center -- but I've never seen an event of this size run as smoothly as this one did, and I've attended a number of well-funded corporate events in places like Orlando and Vegas. The staff delivering the crates, for example, kept their cool even though there were too few of them for the job; the MARTA staff were always helpful -- the trains ran late enough that we could take them back after a long evening of weather delays. I also appreciated the street banners and finding that the Peachtree Mall food court extended its hours to serve the hordes of kids and adults looking for affordable food.

Nothing is perfect: rules are never 100% consistently enforced; mistakes get made -- engineering is a human activity, and involves much more than just math and science. When all is said and done, though, I had a great time and felt that there were very few things that could have gone better, and a great number that could have gone much, much worse. So much was done right, I hope that we can keep the things that didn't in perspective...

Ken M
(Occasional heavy lifting and crate construction for Team 1732)

Tom Bottiglieri
04-17-2007, 03:40 AM
I like that even though there were some inconsistencies with reffing, mistakes brought to the head ref's attention were fixed.

For example, Team 195 used a dead reckoning autonomous mode. For some reason, in two of their matches the tube did not release. In the first match, the ref took the the tube out. In the second match, the tube was not taken out and when tele-op mode started, the claw automatically opened and the tube fell onto the rack. There was no penalty assessed after the matter was brought to the refs attention.

Stephen Kowski
04-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Number of matches - I really enjoyed having a smaller match list. This gave my team more time to prepare, and improve certain aspects of our bot. It gave time for the drive team to actually eat and take small breaks. I know that is not what most wanted (from what I understand most everyone wants more matches), but I liked this anyways.

I am not an advocate of the 10 match qualification schedule (looking at you palmetto :) ). Matches one right after the next is just hectic and more of a chore than anything. Seven or Eight matches is right where I think it should be 4, 5 matches on friday 2, 3 matches on saturday.

IndySam
04-17-2007, 10:16 AM
A few thoughts.

Our inspector was great. I always like when an inspector makes a few suggestions to improve a teams reliability.

I met so many great teams and people that I canít begin to list them.

I loved the venue. Because of the post about past years I was afraid of the long walk but I found it to be tolerable. Walking onto the floor of the Georgia dome is a great experience. We managed to give all of the seniors on the team a chance to go onto the floor.

We had a great time. I canít believe we waited so long to come (this is the sixth year for our team.) We wonít make that mistake again.

dangerousdave
04-17-2007, 04:22 PM
I have to say that Atlanta did a fantastic job for this event. As an old guy who's seen a lot of conventions, expos, and tournaments, I felt that the facilities were top-notch, the staff friendly, the food edible, and even the airport security wasn't the nightmare that I had been expecting.

I'm sure everyone has legitimate gripes -- as a long time Diet Coke fiend, I resented the fact that it was 50 cents more in the Dome than in the Congress Center -- I have heard that the WCC made an effort although small, to lower their usual concession prices for First. Their prices are typically the same as in the dome. Like a lot of people I go to CNN center for the best selection and prices. I know that is not convenient for everyone who is on a tight schedule though.
Dave

technoL
04-21-2007, 09:43 PM
I was going to originally post in the "What needs to be improved" thread, but I'll post the positive here instead.

I really enjoyed most of the workshops that I went to, even after spending the first 45 minutes of Thursday looking for the location, far far far far away with no signage. Big thanks to Kim O'Toole from 1511 for all of the great resources and an amazing presentation, that will hopefully help our team tremendously next year.

Also, although there were a few issues with the Dome staff, they were quite nice to us towards the end of the event when we were trapped at SOAP after all of the divisions ended and needed to find a way off of the field.

The LogoLoc store was great too. It was much easier this year selecting and stocking up on FIRST gear when the room wasn't as crowded with all of the shirts being printed elsewhere. I didn't mind at all coming back a few hours later to pick up my shirt to avoid long printing/processing times. And as expected, the staff was more than friendly.

-No L

RoboMom
04-22-2007, 11:07 AM
I am in awe of the quality and the numbers of volunteers who take time off from work and school, pay their own way (or convince their companies to fund them), travel thousands of miles through rain/snow/thunderstorms/high winds on buses, cars, planes and trains to work hard in return for a t-shirt, a pin, some meals and a lot of thanks.

Liz Smith
04-22-2007, 12:07 PM
I am in awe of the quality and the numbers of volunteers who take time off from work and school, pay their own way (or convince their companies to fund them), travel thousands of miles through rain/snow/thunderstorms/high winds on buses, cars, planes and trains to work hard in return for a t-shirt, a pin, some meals and a lot of thanks.

I don't know about the other volunteers, but I certainly got more out of Atlanta this year than a t-shirt, pin, and a few free meals. I said it in another thread, but this year was one of my best experiences with FIRST. I've met so many amazing people this year, people who I'll be friends with for a long time. I really enjoy just being there and watching amazing robots surrounded by people who really care about the robots, the matches, and the program as a whole. Though I payed for the trip out of pocket, and standing on the floor of the GA dome for 3 days straight definitely was tiring, and I had a whole bunch of school work as soon as I came back, I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Additionally, I was thoroughly impressed by the amount of thank yous I got. During the Galileo award ceremony, the referees were out on the field giving out medals. There were so many people who, while they were recieving their awards, took time to thank the referees for their time and effort as volunteers. Even walking through the pits meeting the teams I recieved a lot of thank yous.