PDA

View Full Version : I now know where all the first rings went.....

FierceRabbit
04-16-2007, 11:38 AM
I asked him for one.....but he didnt speak english...I think i got a "NO!" out of whatever he replied back :(

willy_d
04-16-2007, 12:22 PM
instead of trying to take his life preservers, you should teach him how to swim...:)

Monochron
04-16-2007, 02:51 PM
During the final announcements we were in the stands watching people scrambling around for rings. Occasionally you would see what looked like a pile of 10 rings sprinting away from the fields. It was hilarious.

Viper37
04-16-2007, 03:25 PM
I saw a kid who had 6 or 7 red keepers wrapped on his person hopping away from the field. It was hilarious.

Mullen
04-16-2007, 03:27 PM
this was a crew member, i was watching and laughing as he and a few others walked away carrying this many. However, most of those who were crew members began tossing the ringers into the crowd. This was one of those crew members, so he didn't go home with that many

Spencer E.
04-16-2007, 06:38 PM
I can see my team in that picture! I remember him coming out and one of the FTA guys threw some into the crowd and traded a popped spoiler for a one of those to one of our younger members.

taylort
04-16-2007, 06:46 PM
I got a popped blue keeper and spoiler at Palmetto. :)

Both are now hanging on my wall, along with the Palmetto posters and a piece of an old robot :D

mtaman02
04-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Mass Chaos that was what that was. FIRST could've distributed these game pieces much better and far more safer. However I did get a couple for my family members after they all the game pieces disappeared since they all asked me for one ;). Usually when you work with the Field Repair / Reset Team and assist the FTA Personnel throughout the week you tend to learn where everything is stored so one of the FTA people (which will remain nameless) told me to go help myself to a Keeper and to make sure that when I got the Keeper I wasn't spotted by those who wanted Keepers. (espicially new ones)

Rep Points to those who can guess where the secret "stash" was - BTW I won't tell you if your right or wrong but you will get rep points if your close enough.

Otaku
04-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I got a popped blue keeper and spoiler at Palmetto. :)

Both are now hanging on my wall, along with the Palmetto posters and a piece of an old robot :D

Heh.

My team took three large trash bags of ringers from the UC Davis Regional.

(Yes, FIRST, that's where they went.)

On my wall, I have half of the front plate of 675's '05 bot, and soon, my 375, 67, and 111 bandanas.

Grant Cox
04-16-2007, 07:47 PM
This may be my first year, but I wouldn't be afraid to say that's the closest FIRST has ever gotten to a professional sports - style riot :eek:

As soon as they made the announcement, I turned to my friend next to me and said "dude get out your camera, I have a feeling this is going to be insane." And it was.

David Brinza
04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
After I was done with my robot inspection duties, I was asked to help inflate tubes behind the Galileo field. I was there alone, when a drive team member of 1712 offered to help while they were in the queue. After he inflated several rings, I gave him a deflated red keeper - he said "This is going onto my wall!"

A little later, I was informed by another crew member that I shouldn't have allowed him to operate the air pump...go figure!

Alex Cormier
04-16-2007, 07:55 PM
After I was done with my robot inspection duties, I was asked to help inflate tubes behind the Galileo field. I was there alone, when a drive team member of 1712 offered to help while they were in the queue. After he inflated several rings, I gave him a deflated red keeper - he said "This is going onto my wall!"

A little later, I was informed by another crew member that I shouldn't have allowed him to operate the air pump...go figure!

haha, well they aren't too hard to figure out. i did that for FLR. It was somewhat unjoyful form one FIRST perosn too, but i won't speak names.

mtaman02
04-16-2007, 07:55 PM
yeah the Field Supv. on Galileo is well stupid. He had kids blowing up new tubes for practice day after being told not to. All the fields were using the used tubes for practice day and he felts his field was special and used the new ones instead which is why he didn't have any new ones for any of the other days. He had already went through his alotted amount. He should be lucky one the FTA people asked me nicely to let Galileo have whatever Newton wasn't plan on using.

GBIT
04-16-2007, 08:17 PM
i got a few popped ones on friday and made a tube cape...

sanddrag
04-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I didn't know such a greedy mob could exist in FIRST. The free-for-all over the rings saturday afternoon was outrageous imho. Some kids jumped into a pile of them sending th epile knocking over a barrier right into some expensive AV equipment. I didn't likeit one bit. Did I get my couple rings? Yes. Did I fight anyone for them, or run to yank them away before someone else got them? No. GP folks, let's not forget now.

JoeXIII'007
04-16-2007, 08:35 PM
I saw a running mass of tubes heading out of the dome late.

LightWaves1636
04-16-2007, 08:38 PM
I was kinda thinking that FIRST should have given out tubes after all divisions finals and at least one tube to every team because I know our drive crew wanted the spoiler in one of our matches because it was a really good match and we wanted to keep a tube from that match.

Otaku
04-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Well, from what it sounds like, it was pretty insane. 675 didn't see it though, we were out of the stands and almost out of the dome when they said it.

Kind of glad I missed it, though. I already have some ringers (read: My team has a whole bunch already), and the last thing I need to see at a Robotics competition is something that could be compared to professional sports.

Eww.

Duke_of_Hazard
04-16-2007, 08:44 PM
I know this is a long shot, but did anyone by chance track that "blue tube of destiny" that got knocked up 71's ramp? I'm just curious if someone took the time to find that specific tube (on the ride home it dawned on me how sweet it would be to have that tube).

IraJason
04-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Well... I took a few popped ones that were behind Galileo. We had quite a bit of time waiting for our match, so I made a suit out of ringers and a spoiler. It was pretty funny.

And I don't know about the Keeper that Phil (the human player that inflated some of Galileo's rings) got, but I know that we had our whole team sign an intact Keeper. We plan to put it up on the wall in our lab to signify how well we did this year.

Jeremiah Johnson
04-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Um... against my best wishes, my brother jumped the ledge and went for tubes. He returned with at least 40 of them and proceeded to disperse them amongst people in the Curie seating and kept a crap load for our team. He then went back for more as field crew was tossing some up. However, with the shear amount of popped tubes that my team acquired, we did not get a single keeper. That's the one tube that I wanted. My brother kept the one spoiler that he got. But yeah... some members of 648 have pictures of people with tubes all over themselves. I know a member from 159 grabbed at least 75-100 tubes, craaaaazy. That guy went back multiple times.

madmac625
04-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Come to think of it, I may have gotten the 'blue ringer of destiny'. After the final matches during photo ops, the 3 ringers that were on the field (not the rack) were put into a pile next to Einstein field and away from the rest of the ringer madness. After the photo op, I scooped up my stuff and picked up a red and blue ringer which were sitting right next to the field on the side that that happened. It's possible that the blue ringer I grabbed is the famous one, but I really can't be sure one way or another. Oh man, now I wish I knew.

mtaman02
04-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Unfortunately this game was designed in such a way that the Keeper would not be harmed except by a robot who would bring it out on the field and make it supsceptible (Spell check where are you?) to harm. Which means out of 10 matches you may see A keeper get replaced. Which also means not many popped Keepers available for team give aways. Many teams have came to newton asking for a keeper and I believe all I could give away was Ringers. There were a couple of keepers I do remember giving away one in which was to a girl from a team who asked very politely if she could have it reguardless if it was popped or not and the other was an unpopped one but used to a Brazilian Team Member. There may have been others but those are the 2 I remembered best. I still think that the poof balls were better give aways.