PDA

View Full Version : HexBug Contest: $6000 Reward

Brandon Martus
04-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Check out a new cool product available at RadioShack in the coming weeks. They were given out by Team 148 (one to every team); 30 were given out as prizes at the Chief Delphi Web Hug, as well.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/misc/hexbugs.jpg

Only one HEXBUG Micro Robotic Creature is clad in metallic gold in gold packaging and can be found in a select RadioShack store somewhere in the continental US. Be aware that not all RadioShack stores will carry HEXBUG initially. The GOLD BUG won’t be hidden – just for sale with the other HEXBUG models. The RadioShack product number for HEXBUG is 60-206. Find the GOLD BUG before it disappears, snap a picture of it with your team t-shirt or other team identifier, and look for the secret code on the bottom of the package. Be the first to e-mail the picture and secret code to goldbug@hexbug.com (goldbug@hexbug.coma) and you’ll win enough dough to cover your FRC entry fee for next season or perhaps completely fund your FVC or FLL team! No purchase is necessary and Team 148 will make all final rulings. Hurry and find it before someone snaps it up.See the attached PDF for more information or visit http://www.hexbug.com/ (http://www.hexbug.com/).

Corey Balint
04-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Check out a new cool product available at RadioShack in the coming weeks. They were given out by Team 148 (one to every team); 30 were given out as prizes at the Chief Delphi Web Hug, as well.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/misc/hexbugs.jpg

See the attached PDF for more information.

Just to clarify, your team gets the $6,000, and not you?

Elgin Clock
04-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Straight from the PDF.

Find the elusive GOLD BUG and your FRC, FVC or FLL team wins $6,000 cash to fund next season.

Tom Bottiglieri
04-17-2007, 03:01 PM
What if a person not involved with FRC/FVC/FLL buys the product?

Ricksta
04-17-2007, 03:36 PM
What if a person not involved with FRC/FVC/FLL buys the product?

They could start a team, sell it to a team, or just play with it.

Alex Cormier
04-17-2007, 03:49 PM
They could start a team, sell it to a team, or just play with it.

I will be in mad search of this little toy to get my hopefully rookie team a boost of confidence and $6000!:yikes: :p

JaneYoung
04-17-2007, 09:25 PM
I will be in mad search of this little toy to get my hopefully rookie team a boost of confidence and $6000!:yikes: :p

The gold one?

Wonder if there is a gold one in Texas. :)

Alex Cormier
04-17-2007, 09:26 PM
The gold one?

Wonder if there is a gold one in Texas. :)

If you do find it, im sure a sweet rookie team in ny would love it. :p

JaneYoung
04-17-2007, 09:28 PM
If you do find it, im sure a sweet rookie team in ny would love it. :p
ok, but I'd have to get a pass from 418 on that..maybe halvsies...how do you spell halvsies? halvzees?

Alex Cormier
04-17-2007, 09:32 PM
ok, but I'd have to get a pass from 418 on that..maybe halvsies...how do you spell halvsies? halvzees?

hahaha. Brilliant!

Barry Bonzack
04-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Dare I be the one to ask without researching it myself.... So what does a hexbug do exactly?

whytheheckme
04-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Dare I be the one to ask without researching it myself.... So what does a hexbug do exactly?

I turned mine on, and it seemed to walk around until the antenna hit something, or I clapped or made a loud noise. At this point it backs up to one side, and after a few seconds starts walking forward again....

Maybe we can make some kind of controller to program it further? :p

Jacob

Ken Leung
04-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Maybe also hidden inside the Gold box is a golden foil... With fine text printed on of instructions and directions to a once in a life time visit to the "Robot Factory". And we get to choose any one of the robot in it we like at the end of the tour.

Oops, sorry, let the childlish side got the better of me for a minute there...

I hope the box is heading toward California right now!

Alex Cormier
04-18-2007, 11:49 AM
The link seems to be working now, but when will these hit shelves at RS?

Jeremytice
04-18-2007, 02:19 PM
The link seems to be working now, but when will these hit shelves at RS?

Cormier, they will be out late April 2007.

Alex Cormier
04-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Cormier, they will be out late April 2007.

haha, yes jeremy is saw that. But i wanted a aprox date, to begin my mad search for this toy. You better stay away from the home RS's cuse i will conquer them. :p

T3_1565
04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
This is one of those times that I wish USA included Canada lol :p

Pat Fairbank
04-18-2007, 04:16 PM
This is one of those times that I wish USA included Canada lol :p
Me too, but don't forget that there aren't any RadioShacks left in Canada anyway - they're all owned by Circuit City now.

T3_1565
04-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Me too, but don't forget that there aren't any RadioShacks left in Canada anyway - they're all owned by Circuit City now.

Crap.. Your right... Quick someone get the same contest up and running for "The Source" or " Curcuit City". lol

Kims Robot
04-18-2007, 04:47 PM

We need to post our video, but its even more hillarious to watch the bugs interact... I won one at the webhug, and we gave one to one of our students as the 148 sheet suggests... so we decided to see what they do together. They would run into eachother and back up and run away, bump into eachother and get stuck on the feet, it was too funny. Even better was when we put both of them sitting up across from eacother and the wiggled their way towards eachother and started dancing.

Basically the bugs just walk around and avoid things... similar to that cockroach video we saw, they just keep on going :)

Vashts6583
04-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Hmm... Sounds interesting. I might get one for my dorm for next year. And if it happens to be the gold one, well, we probably would throw it into the BAA to distribute among all of its members. Any word on price?

ChuckDickerson
04-18-2007, 08:53 PM
I stopped by my local Radio Shack on the way home from work today and they had the HexBugs on the counter right next to the cash register. They are $9.99 and the cashier said they got them in last Thursday. They only got one of each. I bought the yellow one and someone else had already bought the red one. And no, they didn't have he gold one. :mad:

Alex Cormier
04-19-2007, 11:52 AM
I stopped by my local Radio Shack on the way home from work today and they had the HexBugs on the counter right next to the cash register. They are $9.99 and the cashier said they got them in last Thursday. They only got one of each. I bought the yellow one and someone else had already bought the red one. And no, they didn't have he gold one. :mad:

Well i just got back from the local RS. I went there thinking i had a 98% chance of them not carryng anything. And i was correct, first the guy tried to look for it online, after me telling him it can't be done. I had him go to chief delphi.com and get the product number. Once that was establised, he did a mass search of stores for me. Around 1000 stores near my area and came up with 0.

So where did you get yours and what's the story behind this toy?

Vince lau
04-19-2007, 01:20 PM
maybe its time to take a 2 week vacation and go Radioshack hoping across the US

ChuckDickerson
04-19-2007, 01:46 PM
So where did you get yours and what's the story behind this toy?

I found them in a small white cardboard display box (~12" x 12") on the counter right next to the cash register at the local Radio Shack in the mall in Vicksburg. Vicksburg is a pretty small town and we only have the one Radio Shack so I find it odd that we got them here before larger cities. I asked the cashier what they do and she said they just sort of walk around and if they bump into something or you make a loud noise like clap your hands they stop, turn, and continue on their way. The red one was already sold but the green, blue, yellow, and orange one were still there. She and I opened up the green one and played with it on the counter for a couple of minutes. I bought the yellow one for $9.99 and away I went. They are cute and fun to play with. We are having a summer camp this summer for junior high school students and are going to spend one day on robotics. I think we are going to get a bunch of these HexBugs to give to the kids to keep.

Ashley Weed
04-19-2007, 03:56 PM
I went to my local Radio Shack and they didn't have them in stock yet. I asked to search the local area, and none turned up for the entire Tri-State area.

Freddy Schurr
04-21-2007, 07:15 PM
When in late April?

Beth Sweet
04-21-2007, 07:24 PM

That's weird! I was just in Radio Shack and the guy told me they weren't even in the computer! Grrrr

Alex Cormier
04-21-2007, 07:28 PM
That's weird! I was just in Radio Shack and the guy told me they weren't even in the computer! Grrrr

:p

you need to have them search with the code. They just look online for what's in stock. it's sad, but o well.

ChuckDickerson
04-25-2007, 02:09 PM
The HexBugs are now available at Radio Shack's website: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2720169

Beth Sweet
04-25-2007, 02:22 PM
The HexBugs are now available at Radio Shack's website: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2720169

Haha, I don't suppose you can order gold? :D

Alex Cormier
04-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Haha, I don't suppose you can order gold? :D
Probably not. :p ;)

Andy Baker
04-25-2007, 03:04 PM
We got a few of these a couple of days ago from a good friend. My two oldest girls (4th grade and 1st grade) each took one to school and everyone was amazed by these Hex Bugs. The kids were treated like celebrities. Teachers wanted the Hex Bugs as much as the other students. They seem a bit fragile (like any bug), so my wife told each of the girls that if they came home with the bugs undamaged, she would give them each $1. She paid up. No damage yet.

Now, I have just ordered some more, through the link that Chuck gave above. Radio Shack code 2720169 is for a "Hex Bug Robot Assortment", costing $9.99. I bought 3 assortments. I wonder if each assortment gets me one bug, or an actual assortment of a few bugs. I think that they sell a box of 5, but I would be suprised if $9.99 gets 5 Bugs.

This will deliver in 3-4 days. I will post an update when they arrive. My kids will probably have these attack me when I get home from work that day.

Radio Shack and IFI have a winner here. I hope they fly (or crawl) off the shelf for a long time.

Andy B.

Tom Line
04-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I also visited the local Rat Shack (with the SKU number). They did not have any in the store, they could not find them in the computer, and until I pointed them to www.hexbug.com, they were questioning my sanity.

Looks like no joy in my area of Michigan. :mad:

Jeremiah Johnson
04-26-2007, 10:07 AM
I also visited the local Rat Shack (with the SKU number). They did not have any in the store, they could not find them in the computer, and until I pointed them to www.hexbug.com, they were questioning my sanity.

Looks like no joy in my area of Michigan. :mad:

I experienced the same sort of reaction from one of the people at a local Radio Shack. The guy, though, knows nothing about anything in that store and doesn't really deserve to work there, IMHO. However, I WILL get my hands on one of those bugs, and hopefully it's the gold one.

Koko Ed
04-26-2007, 08:11 PM
My 6 year old nephew has already destroyed my Hexbug (pulled the antenea out). My 8 year old neice then proceed to sort of fix it. I'll probably put it in the new animation studio with my other toys.

Vashts6583
04-26-2007, 09:18 PM
When I went to the local radio shack in the mall, I looked, and didn't see any, so I asked if they had any, and they happened to have an unopened box there that came in about a minute before I arrived. Bought the box, and sadly, no Gold Bug...

...and I wore my robotics shirt today too, just in case...

...oh well.

The search continues...

Andy Baker
05-02-2007, 06:17 PM

Now, I have just ordered some more, through the link that Chuck gave above. Radio Shack code 2720169 is for a "Hex Bug Robot Assortment", costing $9.99. I bought 3 assortments. I wonder if each assortment gets me one bug, or an actual assortment of a few bugs. I think that they sell a box of 5, but I would be suprised if $9.99 gets 5 Bugs.

This will deliver in 3-4 days. I will post an update when they arrive. My kids will probably have these attack me when I get home from work that day.

Andy B.

My 3 orders of "Hex Bug Robot Assortment" arrived today. I was very surprised to see that this was actually 3 boxes of 5 Hex Bugs each. So... for the grand total of $38.18 ($29.97, plus shipping and tax), we got 15 Bugs.

Get 'em while they're hot.

Andy B.

ChuckDickerson
05-02-2007, 06:28 PM
My 3 orders of "Hex Bug Robot Assortment" arrived today. I was very surprised to see that this was actually 3 boxes of 5 Hex Bugs each. So... for the grand total of $38.18 ($29.97, plus shipping and tax), we got 15 Bugs.

Andy B.

WOW! Me wonders how can this be true!

Kyle
05-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Andy B.

Thanks Andy I get paid on Friday and now I have to buy 6 boxes of HEX bugs, I wonder if you get a discount on a gross of them?

Jeremiah Johnson
05-03-2007, 12:04 AM

Andy B.

Wow... I ordered an "assortment" from Radio Shack and got one... a red one :( . The guy at Radio Shack ordered it for me though, free shipping that way. None of the Radio Shack's in my area carry the Hex Bug... they're boring.

artdutra04
05-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Wow... I ordered an "assortment" from Radio Shack and got one... a red one :( . The guy at Radio Shack ordered it for me though, free shipping that way. None of the Radio Shack's in my area carry the Hex Bug... they're boring.WOW! Me wonders how can this be true!Only Andy Baker can order HexBugs online and have his order quintuple in size. :cool:

Andy Baker
05-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Wow... I ordered an "assortment" from Radio Shack and got one... a red one :( . The guy at Radio Shack ordered it for me though, free shipping that way. None of the Radio Shack's in my area carry the Hex Bug... they're boring.

Only Andy Baker can order HexBugs online and have his order quintuple in size. :cool:

Heh... good one, Art.

The difference here is that Jeremiah went the Radio Shaq and had their guy order it for him. Now, the Radio Shaq guy has 4 Hex Bugs at home and Jeremiah has 1.

Andy B.

Greg Needel
05-03-2007, 08:29 AM
I ordered online with the intention of 1 for a present and the person upon deliver informed me that she got 5. I then went back on to radio shack and ordered 3 more assortments for gifts. at ~2.50 after shipping they are bargain presents.

so anyone find the gold one yet?

Jeremiah Johnson
05-03-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm definitely going to order more... definitely since I should get 5 more for $10...

Paul Copioli
05-03-2007, 11:56 AM
We got a box of five from a good firend. My 6 year old took three of them to school for his "show and tell" and got the same reaction as the Baker girls.

My 2 year old disassmbled the yellow one so it now only has four legs.

Play with the leg shape (they are pliable) and you can make the bug go in all kinds of directions, not just straight ahead. You can even make them go backwards when they are supposed to go forward.

Beth Sweet
05-03-2007, 12:31 PM

Play with the leg shape (they are pliable) and you can make the bug go in all kinds of directions, not just straight ahead. You can even make them go backwards when they are supposed to go forward.

And Paul is already teaching his kids to take things apart and figure out how they work. He's going for them getting their engineering degrees before high school ;)

Vashts6583
05-03-2007, 05:07 PM

Teach 'em young, and they will go far.

I wonder which team he/she will join...

Freddy Schurr
05-03-2007, 11:42 PM
So you are telling me that if I buy a "Hex Bug Robot Assortment" from the Radio Shack website, I should receive a 5 Hex Bugs?

Lil' Lavery
05-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Teach 'em young, and they will go far.

I wonder which team he/she will join...

I'll go with 217.... ;)

(and Paul has 666 posts, just for kicks)

Vashts6583
05-04-2007, 09:08 PM
ha ha. she'll probably join a team in the 3000's, because by then, they will definitely exist.

Brandon Martus
05-09-2007, 12:11 PM
I just noticed .. the HEXBUG (http://www.hexbug.com/) site was updated last week ..

The GOLD BUG is still at large as of Friday, May 4!
Visit your local RadioShack to find the golden scarab!

Kyle
05-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I just noticed .. the HEXBUG (http://www.hexbug.com/) site was updated last week ..

The GOLD BUG is still at large as of Friday, May 4!
Visit your local RadioShack to find the golden scarab!

I'm going to go out today and buy one from the three local stores, I hope it will increase my chances.

Vince lau
05-09-2007, 01:58 PM
i wish radio shack would ship to Canada

T3_1565
05-09-2007, 05:04 PM
i wish radio shack would ship to Canada

I hear ya there!!

Kims Robot
05-09-2007, 10:25 PM
So what is your team going to do with the hexbug shot if you get it first??

We have two teams in the area that are desperately in need of funding, and we figured if we find it we will get it for them or get them to get a shot with it...

I think its an awesome competition, and has generated some great buzz around the product, but we realized there are teams much more in need of that $6k...

Jeremiah Johnson
05-09-2007, 10:39 PM
If I were to find the golden Hex Bug, which will never happen because the area Radio Shack's don't sell them, I would use it to fund more area Vex teams...

Freddy Schurr
05-09-2007, 10:40 PM
What happens if a non-FIRSTer gets the Gold HEXBUG?

Jeremiah Johnson
05-09-2007, 10:52 PM

Then... well... it's not good, because no one would get the reward.

Heretic121
05-10-2007, 01:54 AM
reading this thread i couldnt help but to think that... i have looked in all local Radio-Shack stores within 10 miles *3 stores* to no avail... but its hard because there only being 3 teams in RI and 20 stores... not so good of stores to team ratio's =P

Nuttyman54
05-10-2007, 02:05 AM
well, I ordered an "assortment" from Radio Shack online, expecting to get an assortment of 5 bugs like Andy Baker et al.

I got one yellow one. Alas, I must now trek to my local Radio Shack in search of 4 more. Anyone have clues as to the discrepancies in the orders?

Alan Anderson
05-10-2007, 07:14 AM
well, I ordered an "assortment" from Radio Shack online, expecting to get an assortment of 5 bugs like Andy Baker et al.

I got one yellow one. Alas, I must now trek to my local Radio Shack in search of 4 more. Anyone have clues as to the discrepancies in the orders?

The description of the "assortment" makes it obvious that it's supposed to be a single bug from the selection of colors. The early orders were apparently filled by someone who didn't understand that.

Andy Baker
05-10-2007, 08:23 AM
The early orders were apparently filled by someone who didn't understand that.

Or... they just liked me. woo! :)

AB

Nuttyman54
05-10-2007, 02:31 PM
The description of the "assortment" makes it obvious that it's supposed to be a single bug from the selection of colors. The early orders were apparently filled by someone who didn't understand that.

I guess it means something else for online ordering then. I've always gone by the dictionary meaning of a varied collection of stuff. Thanks for clearing that up!

Billfred
05-18-2007, 09:13 PM
So I found out that the local RadioShack gets their stock on Fridays. I waited for probably far too long to see if I got lucky (and for six large, who wouldn't?), but to no avail. I do, however, have an Echo sitting on my bed right now. Pretty fun for the money, and definitely giving me some ideas.

Now, as a tinkerer, I have to ask: has anyone cracked one open to find any juicy details? Undocumented features? Bugs? A couple of Victor 884s?

(By the way, the HexBug site says the gold bug is still MIA.)

Steve W
05-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Radio Shack has found their problem and fixed it. I had an assortment ordered to a store (not my instruction) and when it got there there were 5 bugs. They opened the box and took 4 out as they were instructed. The web site showed them out of stock for about an hour then came back with changed info.

Greg Needel
05-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Now, as a tinkerer, I have to ask: has anyone cracked one open to find any juicy details? Undocumented features? Bugs? A couple of Victor 884s?

I cracke d the one I got at the webhug open. It is a clever little mechanism inside. A single motor powers both sides and when it hits something and starts to move backwards there is a spring loaded clutch that dis-engages one side causing it to turn. As for hidden electronic features I haven't played with anything yet. It is still a cool little toy.

Nin_estarSaerah
06-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Are they supposed to be available at the stores too? I've dropped by a few local radioshacks out of curiosity. Not only did they not have any, they didn't seem to know what i was talking about.

Stephi Rae
06-04-2007, 02:01 AM
A teammate of mine got the last working one from the store nearby... the remaining one was broken... lol...

So has there been any news of the golden one being found yet??

Jeremiah Johnson
06-04-2007, 01:39 PM
I told one of my RS people about the HexBug after I had him order me one online (free shipping) and then a couple weeks later, after he asked me about them, they magically appeared in two of the four nearby stores. I haven't checked the other two.

Cooley744
06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
I have checked my local radio shacks, but they dont seem to have a clue what I'm talking about. I keep going back in hope that they got a shipment in, and they think I'm crazy. Oh well...:D

Alex Cormier
07-15-2007, 08:36 PM
is the gold one still up in the air?

Ashley Weed
07-16-2007, 09:23 AM
According to the website: http://www.hexbug.com/ it is still out there.

ChristinaR
07-16-2007, 11:49 AM
The possibility that a non-FIRSTer got it seems to be growing by the day. I'd find it funny if it made an appearance months later once everyone has forgotten about it.

Cooley744
07-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Has the bug been found yet?!?!?!?!?!?!????!!!!!!!!!?

Jeremiah Johnson
07-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Has the bug been found yet?!?!?!?!?!?!????!!!!!!!!!?

Apparently not by a FIRSTer. I think it was found by an "outsider".

monkeymel1003
07-19-2007, 12:21 PM
I wish I could find that bug. My team definitely could use that money alot. We're struggling just to get enough money to continue next year! We could definitely use that bug. I hope it hasn't been found by a non-FIRSTer

Ashley Weed
12-07-2007, 03:38 PM
I have had my Hex bugs for a while now and keep them in my office as a "stress reliever" (it is actually my way of creating a worse day for something than my day is going).

When I first purchased my bugs they seemed to be more intelligent than now, and would adapt to their surroundings easier. Recently one of my bugs has lost the ability to sense things like it used to, and can't even walk over a piece of paper.

Anyone experience a similar situation?