PDA

View Full Version : Free SolidWorks?

dbell
06-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Does anyone know if you can download SolidWorks for free? I know inventor has a free student edition, but I'd like to try SolidWorks.

thanks
DB

CraigHickman
06-21-2007, 04:29 PM
You can email info@solidoworks.com and request a student copy, just make sure to state that you're a FIRST student, and have used inventor, and would like to try Solidworks.

They sent me a copy within 3 weeks.

dbell
06-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks for your help.
I tried this.
And now i am wondering if you meant
info@solidworks.com not
info@solidoworks.com

That is what is on their website (http://www.solidworks.com/pages/company/Locate_SolidWorks.html).

CraigHickman
06-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I meant Solidworks. Mybad.

thefro526
06-24-2007, 12:50 PM
If you don't mind me asking how did you get the free copy of inventor?

-Dustin

Jeff 801
06-24-2007, 01:19 PM
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=57877
this is where you can read about it

dbell
06-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Autodesk gives 10 licenses of the latest version of Iinventor in the kit of parts, and that's how i got it. Or if you are a college student, you can download it at:
http://students.autodesk.com as mentioned in the thread that Jeff 888 mentioned.

DB

dbell
06-27-2007, 06:00 PM
I received a SolidWorks student edition with COSMOS DVD in the mail today.
It has been exactly three days since I sent an email request. Thats fast!
Thanks to SolidWorks!
Can't wait to use it,:D but i have to clean my hard drive so i can fit the extra 2.5 GB.:eek: .
DB

Ian Curtis
06-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Is the disc they send you a student license (the $99 one which lasts for a 2?years)?

And SolidWorks is super sweet. I like it more than Inventor.

dbell
06-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Is the disc they send you a student license (the $99 one which lasts for a 2?years)?

And SolidWorks is super sweet. I like it more than Inventor.

I think it is. The person from solidworks said "I will send you a one-year license of our Student Edition with COSMOS."

But now that i've registered it it says "Your 2 year Student Edition software license includes core-modeling capabilities of SolidWorks 2006."
And "Expiration Date: Sunday, June 28, 2009"

So that sounds like two years to me. I guess 2 is better than one!

ZombieBreath
12-12-2007, 02:05 AM
If you don't mind my asking what did you send in the email to SolidWorks. I just sent them one and wanted to make sure I got everything correct.
Thanks.

burkey_turkey
12-12-2007, 07:16 PM
So the copies of inventor we get with the kit, do we get them before kickoff or on kickoff, since theyre downloads now? because it will take a few weeks before the administration can install them in a lab somewhere for us

dbell
12-13-2007, 04:13 PM
If you don't mind my asking what did you send in the email to SolidWorks. I just sent them one and wanted to make sure I got everything correct.
Thanks.

This is a what i wrote in my email:
"Dear SolidWorks,
I am a high school student participating in FIRST Robotics. That is how I have gotten interested in 3D mechanical design. I have used Autodesk Inventor recently which i got for free from FIRST. I heard about SolidWorks because they sponsored a FIRST tournament.
Would it be possible to have a free student copy of SolidWorks? I'd like to try it out.
Thanks,
David"

burkey_turkey,
From what i read, I dont think they will let you download it until the kickoff.
Try the FIRSTbase website (http://firstbasefrc.autodesk.com/?nd=downloads)

ZombieBreath
12-14-2007, 02:21 AM
This is a what i wrote in my email:
"Dear SolidWorks,
I am a high school student participating in FIRST Robotics. That is how I have gotten interested in 3D mechanical design. I have used Autodesk Inventor recently which i got for free from FIRST. I heard about SolidWorks because they sponsored a FIRST tournament.
Would it be possible to have a free student copy of SolidWorks? I'd like to try it out.
Thanks,
David"

Sweet, thanks for the reply on my question. I wrote something similar. Did they send you a reply or just ship it straight to you. I included my address in the email, because I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks again,
Joe

dbell
12-14-2007, 08:33 AM
i didn't give them my address in the first email, so they replied and said "sure send me your address and ill send you a copy." Then i gave them my address. Then i got the dvd 2 or 3 days later.

ZombieBreath
12-14-2007, 11:06 PM
i didn't give them my address in the first email, so they replied and said "sure send me your address and ill send you a copy." Then i gave them my address. Then i got the dvd 2 or 3 days later.

Hmmmm, well I haven't heard anything back nor received anything in the mail. I know patients-patients....but I want it now! ;) Well thanks again for your quick reply.

~Joe

PTC_FRC
12-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Hello,

As a partner for FIRST, PTC is offering free copies of Pro/ENGINEER and Mathcad for your team...along with web-based training and video workshops.

If you are interested, you can register for a collaboration project to help manage your teams data. From the project, you can download your free copies of Pro/E and Mathcad.

Here is the link - http://frc.ptc.com/Windchill/FirstRobotics/FirstRobotics.jsp

For more inforamtion, please send an email to firstsupport@ptc.com.

ZombieBreath
12-23-2007, 02:45 PM
So I got my student version in the mail today and I'm freaking out! Thanks for all the advice. P.s. I also bought some text books and they came with a free download, the passwords are the same so I think this might just be a normal thing that solid works is doing. Heres the info.
Go to.... www.solidworks.com/SDK2007 download it and use the SDK-ID D7150SDC.