PDA

View Full Version : Transformers (the movie)

alphaone
07-04-2007, 01:41 AM
For those of you that haven't seen it yet: see it. You can thank me later. It's turned out to be my favorite movie ever.

Grant Cox
07-04-2007, 03:03 AM
100% agree, I was actually thinking about making a similar thread haha. I just got back tonight from seeing it for the second time, actually (some of the theaters here had it showing yesterday too for some reason). Easily one of my favorite movies of all time, you would NEVER know that it was based off of a cartoon. I can't remember the last time I was in a theater where EVERYONE (not just a few diehards) were totally into it, cheering the good guys and booing the bad guys and laughing at all the right parts. You'll be clinging to the edge of your seat through most of the movie, it's absolutely incredible.

Oh and if you do see it, make sure you pay close attention to Sam's eBay username ;)

The Cyborg
07-04-2007, 03:36 AM
I fully agree that this is one of the best movies I have seen to come out this year. I have already seen this movie twice, and I still can't get enough. I have been looking forward to this movie ever since it was announced two years ago (yes, I am a die-hard fan). Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg did an excellent job in creating the movie, and I have nothing but praises for them. I recommend fans of the show to see this movie!

Yes, I did notice Sam's ebay user name too, that made me smile the first time it was shown on the screen. ;)

BTW: Did anybody recognize Detroit in the movie?

EDIT: I apologize, my opinion is extremely biased because of me being a fan of the franchise.
After thinking about this overnight, I did find that some parts were a little rushed through, and that a few things needed to be explained better. This movie is mostly one giant gimmick that is targeted towards older fans like me and children, and while I am satisfied by the movie, It is far from being the next box-office smashing epic.

Koko Ed
07-04-2007, 07:04 AM
It was silly and loud but fun.
I wouldn't go so far as to lable it the best fim of the year. It's not even Michael Bay's best film (it's weird seeing the word Michael Bay and best in the same sentance). I think The Rock and The Island are significantly better.
Looks like we got a new franchise on our hands....

Travis Hoffman
07-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm just glad the movie redeemed the disappointingly empty video game that I am glad I did not buy.

Who here has seen the original animated movie from 1986?

Grant Cox
07-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Check out this sweet article (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4218826.html) I found, talking about all the CGI in the movie.

Also, since you're all bringing up Michael Bay, who didn't love the "I guarantee you this is a HUNDRED TIMES COOLER than Armageddon" line, haha.

Koko Ed
07-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Check out this sweet article (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4218826.html) I found, talking about all the CGI in the movie.

Also, since you're all bringing up Michael Bay, who didn't love the "I guarantee you this is a HUNDRED TIMES COOLER than Armageddon" line, haha.

I hated Armegeddon so much I would have gone with a million!

dlavery
07-04-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm sorry, but did we all see the same movie??!!? Some of the worst cinematography and camera work (both real and virtual) I have ever seen. The director is so dang amazed by the CG that every shot is a massive tight close-up so you can see all the cool detail in the artificial vehicles. Which means that almost every shot is so close that you can't actually tell what is going on. Michael Bay is so enamoured by the CG that he forgets he is supposed to be telling a story. I want my $10 back.

-dave

alphaone
07-04-2007, 01:00 PM
To each his own I guess. I loved it. Very fun movie.

I came in with rather low expectations (I was taking my little brother to see it; he had been talking about it for months). I ended up liking it quite a bit obviously. :)

Koko Ed
07-04-2007, 01:06 PM
I got a question: The Rochester Museam and Science Center had asked our and the rocal FIRST teams to do a quasi-Transformers tie in by putting our robot on display (bad time of year to do so. Most team sare scattered with team members on vacation, school closed up and robots packed away not to mention our last demo beat up our robot pretty good running it on concrete wore our tires down and we are currently between places so we have no way to fix her right now) From what I heard not many other teams were responsive to the event as well.
Anyways have any other teams been asked to show off their robot due to the movie comming out?

Pavan Dave
07-04-2007, 02:32 PM
The movie LACKED in many areas. I actually enjoyed the movie. If the movie was 3-3.5 hours (like Indian movies (they have intermissions fyi)) it would have been able to give more insight about the Decepticons and would have made it a bit more interesting... Agreed with DL that there were too many close ups and stuff and some corny lines like when the kid is on the tower in the end, he could have said "NEVER!!!!!" and it would have sounded a bit better. But overall the movie was kind of satisfying and I will be in line for the sequel.

I think Dave is just mad that his secret it out and that someone finally got a hold of that 13 second clip the Mars rover captured. :)

Koko Ed
07-04-2007, 03:12 PM
The movie LACKED in many areas. I actually enjoyed the movie. If the movie was 3-3.5 hours (like Indian movies (they have intermissions fyi)) it would have been able to give more insight about the Decepticons and would have made it a bit more interesting... Agreed with DL that there were too many close ups and stuff and some corny lines like when the kid is on the tower in the end, he could have said "NEVER!!!!!" and it would have sounded a bit better. But overall the movie was kind of satisfying and I will be in line for the sequel.

I think Dave is just mad that his secret it out and that someone finally got a hold of that 13 second clip the Mars rover captured. :)

I think he was more upset at the image of one of his babies getting smashed in the film.

Grant Cox
07-04-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm sorry, but did we all see the same movie??!!? Some of the worst cinematography and camera work (both real and virtual) I have ever seen. The director is so dang amazed by the CG that every shot is a massive tight close-up so you can see all the cool detail in the artificial vehicles. Which means that almost every shot is so close that you can't actually tell what is going on. Michael Bay is so enamoured by the CG that he forgets he is supposed to be telling a story. I want my $10 back.

-dave

Oh please, no story? You can't possibly say you didn't get a little teary-eyed when Bumblebee got taken away :( I'll admit that there could've been a little more character development with the Decepticons and more than 2 of the Autobots, but it's still pretty solid.

Joe Matt
07-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Oh please, no story? You can't possibly say you didn't get a little teary-eyed when Bumblebee got taken away :( I'll admit that there could've been a little more character development with the Decepticons and more than 2 of the Autobots, but it's still pretty solid.

Yes no story, it was a bunch of action and stupid comedy sections pieced together by long narration segments that explain enough to get by, then they move on to the next action and stupid comedy sections. Later, rinse, repeat.

Great GCI, horrible storytelling. Only thing worse than this movie this summer was Spiderman 3. Did everyone get blinded by the fact it's a robot movie and forget the fact their watching a movie and not Battlebots with some bad high school movie duct taped together?

Koko Ed
07-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Yes no story, it was a bunch of action and stupid comedy sections pieced together by long narration segments that explain enough to get by, then they move on to the next action and stupid comedy sections. Later, rinse, repeat.

Great GCI, horrible storytelling. Only thing worse than this movie this summer was Spiderman 3. Did everyone get blinded by the fact it's a robot movie and forget the fact their watching a movie and not Battlebots with some bad high school movie duct taped together?

I think we'll get a better robot movie next summer when Pixar puts out Wall-E (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/wall-e/).
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8577/800pxwalle5ja7.jpg

LightWaves1636
07-04-2007, 07:44 PM
I loved Transformers, that movie was more than amazing, it was just, ah, I'm going to go see it again.

Travis Hoffman
07-04-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm a G1 fanboy - I'm just PO'd they gave Optimus Prime lips........

........just kidding!

I was thoroughly entertained, along with it seems everyone else in the theater, young and old.

I actually felt "bad" for Bumblebee and was quite impressed by his facial expressions.

While the plot was contrived and just a tad far-fetched even considering the wild premise - especially during the final battle - let's not kid ourselves. This isn't a movie trying to win Best Picture - this movie is about pure entertainment - it is PRECISELY about the robots and their interactions (although I must actually give credit to Shia Lebeouf for a job well done, and Megan Fox for, well, just showing up on screen ;) ). It's about extending the influence of the mythology - drawing in the adults who grew up on Transformers, while impressing a new generation of youth to sell all the new toys coming out - did you note the introductory scenes for both the Autobots and Decepticons where they went through each robot by name? That's done on purpose. The closeups and slow-mo scenes of the CG - it's not just to exhibit the new ILM technology (and supposedly they modeled hundreds of actual automotive parts and incorporated them into the robots to show off during the transformations), it's to get the kiddies to say "WOWEE MOMMY THESE ARE NEAT-O! WHEN CAN I PLAY WITH THEM???" It's just like always, it's about Hasbro toy sales. And you know what? That's ok! Because I grew up with these toys, and their creative and fun designs lend themselves well to developing a child's dexterity and imagination, far more cheaply than any video game or robotics kit ever could.

Not every child is fortunate enough to have parents who can afford a $300 Vex or NXT kit. I think a $10 mechanical marvel of a toy is a viable substitute. If kids are going to get sucked into the uber hyper gee whiz marketing power of Dreamworks - Hasbro - Toys R Us - Target - etc., there are far, far worse toys for them to own.

And parents, don't forget to go out and buy GM vehicles!!! (Seriously, I saw a Solstice driving down the street right after the movie let out and I couldn't help but imagine it transforming right there - lol).

Koko Ed
07-04-2007, 08:29 PM
And parents, don't forget to go out and buy GM vehicles!!! (Seriously, I saw a Solstice driving down the street right after the movie let out and I couldn't help but imagine it transforming right there - lol).

Yeah transforming from the lot to somebody's driveway after purchasing it.:rolleyes:
I remember when product placement used to be taboo in movies.
Now movies try to figure out how to get as many in as possbile.

Jeremiah Johnson
07-04-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm a G1 fanboy - I'm just PO'd they gave Optimus Prime lips........

........just kidding!
<snip>
(although I must actually give credit to Shia Lebeouf for a job well done, and Megan Fox for, well, just showing up on screen ;) ). It's about extending the influence of the mythology - <snip>

I have to agree with that there in bold, a lot. One of my favorite actresses now... And she isn't that good at acting... ;)

Anyways, Shia Lebeouf is a terrible actor, IMHO. I've hated him since Holes...

But, in the end, I thought the movie was okay. A review I read before hand described it as "the first half was a Spielberg movie and the second half was a Micheal Bay movie." With that said, Spielberg is a much better director than that crappy Michael Bay dude. I loved the first half, but hated the second.

alphaone
07-04-2007, 10:17 PM

So true. I hated most everything about american cars before seeing this movie. Now suddenly I'm attracted to them.. what the hell? :p

Joe Matt
07-04-2007, 11:26 PM
I don't want to see any more Disney or animated robot movies. A lot of the are boring, annoying, and not worth the $10. I saw Robots on the way to Atlanta on the bus this year (or the way back) and wanted my friend to knock me out so I wouldn't have to suffer. I'd rather watch and feel the sun blind me.

This and the iPhone thread are your new trolling grounds, eh? How about doing some research first...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WALL-E

As anyone knows, Pixar movies are much more about the stories and feelings than the actual characters. Ratatouille, Finding Nemo, etc, should have taught you that. This movie is about finding your purpose despite what you are told to do.

Oh, and never reference Pixar movie and a Fox or Dreamworks picture in the same sentence. EVER.

Hiteak
07-04-2007, 11:43 PM
When i saw the movie, I just couldn't help laughing when i saw that one of the computer workers for the government was wearing the 42 shirt from thinkgeek.com. There was a little too much advertising in the movie, but i found most of it to be rather enjoyable.

Freddy Schurr
07-05-2007, 12:23 AM
_______ AWESOME!

I think I might have to spend another $7.50 to see it again.

Elgin Clock
07-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Best movie release on Independence Day (extended) weekend... well.. since Independence Day.

And.... if GM was all "good guys" was that a Mustang (http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/06/bumblebee4.jpg) I spotted as a "bad guy" cop car?

If it was; talk about Ford getting the shaft on that one in a sense eh? The only "brand name" Deceptacon, and it's a Ford? Harsh.

This could just very well start a whole GM vs Ford debate as well. :rolleyes:

IN any case, now I'll def. have to go see the filming of Shia's new movie down the street from where I work at Yale in New Haven next time to get some autographs on some transformers stuff as well. Ya know, that new Indiana Jones movie.. I drove through the set while they were filming Tuesday. Good times. :p

Side Note: Anyone else see the trailer before Transformers came on for the movie that was shot ala' Blair Witch Style? Bad Robot was the production company. The title wasn't that clear... First time I heard about that one. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/synopsis Looks... intriguing.

Also, the trailer for the movie tying in the Columbia space shuttle disaster with an alien invasion? Hope N.A.S.A. got some money for that tie in.. just as they should have with the rover footage from Transformers. (IMHO A circa year 1997+ rover design more so than a 60's one.)

Koko Ed
07-05-2007, 05:16 AM
This and the iPhone thread are your new trolling grounds, eh? How about doing some research first...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WALL-E

As anyone knows, Pixar movies are much more about the stories and feelings than the actual characters. Ratatouille, Finding Nemo, etc, should have taught you that. This movie is about finding your purpose despite what you are told to do.

Oh, and never reference Pixar movie and a Fox or Dreamworks picture in the same sentence. EVER.

The reason why Pixar movies are FAR FAR superior to most movies out there is they are great storytellers first and foremost and great artist afterwards.
Robots was prettier than any Pixar movie technically but it was absolutely inferior at the soul level.
Micheal Bay could learn a lesson from these guys.

Travis Hoffman
07-05-2007, 08:12 AM
And.... if GM was all "good guys" was that a Mustang (http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/06/bumblebee4.jpg) I spotted as a "bad guy" cop car?

If it was; talk about Ford getting the shaft on that one in a sense eh? The only "brand name" Deceptacon, and it's a Ford? Harsh.

GM obviously ponied up more cash for the promotion. Maybe Ford wanted to target the "bad boy" audience anyway in selling its Saleen Mustang?

Sikorsky and Lockheed Martin also got the "bad guy" treatment but they pretty much had to, as Decepticons are typically the military hardware types.

The US Military, never a group to turn down some self-promotion, also provided the movie crews with the most access to secure locations and vehicles for a movie shoot since 9/11. You see 2 of the 3 Ospreys in existence in the opening of the movie. And the last part was practically a recruiting video for the Air Force.

Koko Ed
07-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Best movie release on Independence Day (extended) weekend... well.. since Independence Day.

This could just very well start a whole GM vs Ford debate as well. :rolleyes:

IN any case, now I'll def. have to go see the filming of Shia's new movie down the street from where I work at Yale in New Haven next time to get some autographs on some transformers stuff as well. Ya know, that new Indiana Jones movie.. I drove through the set while they were filming Tuesday. Good times. :p

Side Note: Anyone else see the trailer before Transformers came on for the movie that was shot ala' Blair Witch Style? Bad Robot was the production company. The title wasn't that clear... First time I heard about that one. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/synopsis Looks... intriguing.

Also, the trailer for the movie tying in the Columbia space shuttle disaster with an alien invasion? Hope N.A.S.A. got some money for that tie in.. just as they should have with the rover footage from Transformers. (IMHO A circa year 1997+ rover design more so than a 60's one.)

It's the work of the Others!

Skippy
07-05-2007, 12:45 PM
It was even better a second time. :]

Branden Ghena
07-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Great GCI, horrible storytelling. Only thing worse than this movie this summer was Spiderman 3.

WHAT???:ahh: You didn't love emo spidey???

alphaone
07-05-2007, 04:06 PM

I actually read an article about that somewhere. Ford didn't want their name on a badguy so technically it's a Saleen.

Elgin Clock
07-07-2007, 05:17 PM
I actually read an article about that somewhere. Ford didn't want their name on a badguy so technically it's a Saleen.

HA!! I don't care who's name you put on a Mustang (Roush, Saleen, Shelby, etc. etc.) In the end, it all still started as a base Ford.

Sayrah
07-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I got a question: The Rochester Museam and Science Center had asked our and the rocal FIRST teams to do a quasi-Transformers tie in by putting our robot on display (bad time of year to do so. Most team sare scattered with team members on vacation, school closed up and robots packed away not to mention our last demo beat up our robot pretty good running it on concrete wore our tires down and we are currently between places so we have no way to fix her right now) From what I heard not many other teams were responsive to the event as well.
Anyways have any other teams been asked to show off their robot due to the movie comming out?

Team 1902 Exploding Bacon did a demo at the main public library in Orlando today centered around the release of the movie. The library read a book to the kids about robotics, a couple of the team's students did a demo with Lego, Vex and the 2007 FRC 'bot (lots of ooohhs and aaaaws as the robot arm went higher and higher), and then the library had an activity for the kids to build a "robot." The kids patiently waited for their turn to drive the Vex robot and each received a 1902 Pig on a Rocket pin. Kids were very interested and two parents requested contact information for the team. The library also asked if we would be interested in coming back to participate in an activity for teens.

thefro526
07-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Greatest of '07 IMO

George A.
07-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Well I work at a movie theatre, and for one I pity anyone who actually paid to see this movie. I mean yes the CGI is good and they got Optimus' original voice actor back, but that's where all the pro's end for me. The "acting" was laughable, the monologues from the robots seemed forced, and the story was rushed.

I've never been a Michael Bay fan at all, and this is just another mediocre movie to his credit.

My advice? Forget Transformers and go see the movie that should've been released on the 4th, Live Free or Die Hard, my favorite movie of the summer by far.

alphaone
07-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Whateva.. I really liked this movie as I've said before. It was just pure fun. People cheering for the good guys and stuff. I thought it was great. It was the first movie I can remember in a long time where I never looked at my watch, even though I had to work early the next day and the movie was late at night. I quite liked the cinematic too. The acting in the movie wasn't the best I've ever seen, but so what!? That's not what this movie is about.

Also being an aviation nut I couldn't get enough of all of the aircraft in the movie: F-22A's, MV-22's, MH-53's, UH-60's, A-10's, and even an AC-130. Even though they tried to play off the presidential KC-135 as a VC-25 in the scene where it was on the ground, I still thought they did a fantastic job with the movie.

Ryan Dognaux
07-08-2007, 05:00 PM
This. Movie. Is. AWESOME.

Plain and simple, go see it. If you were into the cartoon as a kid, you'll love it. If you weren't into the cartoon as a kid, you'll still love it. Shia LaBeouf is a great actor, he has definitely progressed since his Disney days. This movie is pretty much a nonstop action thriller and I loved every second of it. Don't listen to the naysayers; if you like the idea of intergalactic robots fighting one another, then this is right up your alley :)

InfernoX14
07-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Wow. Outstanding movie. I kind of want to go see it again.

I saw it today for the first time and it was much better than I expected.

It would have been much better if you could actually see what the Tranformers were doing clearly.

Pat McCarthy
07-08-2007, 08:47 PM
I saw it July 4, and I really liked it. I thought the transformations were amazing! You feel like the robots are real, and not CGI, in most scenes because of how the cinematography was done. I absolutely loved that!:D

I thought a few parts were a bit hammy. It also seemed like it was kind of a drawn out set up to the action.

Having said that, I have heard that there will be at least one sequel to it, and the ending of the movie would support that. So, as the first in a series, I thought the drawing out and setting up of the story and back story so well works for it.

CraigHickman
07-08-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm heading out to see it tonight. I'll post a review of it once I get home. Woo.

Here's warning people: In preparation for the launch of this movie, I watched every single Transformers episode. It kind of hurt my brain a bit.

Cory
07-09-2007, 12:44 AM
I kind of thought it would suck, prior to seeing it.

I too found myself not looking at my watch once the entire time--it was a very entertaining movie. I would say it's the best movie I've seen this summer, so far.

sanddrag
07-09-2007, 02:28 AM
I too found myself not looking at my watch once the entire time--it was a very entertaining movie. Haha, how funny, that's exactly how I judge movies. If I never looked at my watch, it was a good movie, hehe.

Pavan Dave
07-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Haha, how funny, that's exactly how I judge movies. If I never looked at my watch, it was a good movie, hehe.
I usually pull out my phone and look at the time...Many times once I do this the people around me do this.. The only time I have done this on purpose, was during King Kong. That was by far the worst movie ever created. ... On another note. Its amusing to see about 10-15 people in the seats around you pull out their phones lol. Its quite a sight to see.

Molten
07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Come on, you are all giving it too much credit. I saw it just yesterday. It was good, but it was not great. I believe they focused on the people too much. They had how many people? They had how many robots? If the first number is greater then the second (which I know it is), then there is a serious problem with transformers. The shows were about the robots. Sure they have peole, but they focus on the robots. The plot was mediocre. I would give it a 7 out of 10. If this is your favorite movie, check some of the classics. Such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Ghostbuters... Sorry for ranting, this is just a bit of let down considering I have been hoping for a Transformers movie since I first watched the show long before Shia Lebeuf (I know I misspelled it) was even an actor.

FISHER 237
07-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Just saw it about an hour ago... sick movie, giant robots, fast cars, and lots of explosions:D I give it a 9/10

Zyik
07-09-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm a robotics nerd. Robots fighting each other, transforming into things, transforming in flight, etc. makes me grin and squeal like a school girl. Therefore, I loved it. I loved what I saw of the cartoons when I was little and I enjoyed the movie a lot. Going to go see it again.

Madison
07-09-2007, 07:37 PM
I enjoyed it well enough. I went into the theater more excited to see the teaser for J.J. Abrams untitled movie, but left with a big smile on my face from the feature.

I hope that kids will stop asking us if we build Battlebots and start asking us if we build Transformers. To that, I will answer with a resounding yes.

raf4far
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM
I enjoyed it well enough. I went into the theater more excited to see the teaser for J.J. Abrams untitled movie, but left with a big smile on my face from the feature.

I hope that kids will stop asking us if we build Battlebots and start asking us if we build Transformers. To that, I will answer with a resounding yes.

Haha that would be pretty cool if people asked that. I saw that trailer and i was waiting for what ever was flying to be shown but very happy it wasnt so it wouldnt ruin the movie.

Transformers was good. Although I checked the time once it had amazing visual effects.

Molten
07-09-2007, 10:01 PM

I would hope that you would answer yes to the Battlebots question too. I would go into the differences between the Battlebot and the FIRST robot. But the actual fact is, get kids interested in listening first. Even if you do not approve Battlebots, everyone must understand that it is a great way to get a newcombers interest. If you answer no, then you might have lost a member. If you answer yes, you will probably get a listener and a future member.

Madison
07-10-2007, 02:45 PM
I would hope that you would answer yes to the Battlebots question too. I would go into the differences between the Battlebot and the FIRST robot. But the actual fact is, get kids interested in listening first. Even if you do not approve Battlebots, everyone must understand that it is a great way to get a newcombers interest. If you answer no, then you might have lost a member. If you answer yes, you will probably get a listener and a future member.

At the risk of going off-topic (by talking about FIRST, no less), I disagree with this sentiment. This topic is the proverbial dead horse, of course, but I like to think that this program and engineering have enough good things going for them that they ought not have to accept any association with popular culture that may, in the end, net some interest. We're doing really cool things on our own and the popularization of Battlebots and its ilk has done little else but reinforce cultural stereotypes about "genuine" robotics and narrow the ambition and imagination of kids and adults alike who see robots and technology only as toys.

Jeremiah Johnson
07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
At the risk of going off-topic (by talking about FIRST, no less), I disagree with this sentiment. This topic is the proverbial dead horse, of course, but I like to think that this program and engineering have enough good things going for them that they ought not have to accept any association with popular culture that may, in the end, net some interest. We're doing really cool things on our own and the popularization of Battlebots and its ilk has done little else but reinforce cultural stereotypes about "genuine" robotics and narrow the ambition and imagination of kids and adults alike who see robots and technology only as toys.

I've found this to be quite true. I've been known to denounce combat robotics mainly because of this sad fact. And also because they have one main goal, destroy eachother.

kawelch
07-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Here is the RT link.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_the_movie/

I enjoyed it for a Micheal Bay film.

Not a great masterpiece but entertaining. And I saw it as a Matinee so it was only $6.

Pavan Dave
07-11-2007, 02:17 PM

As long as students and the masses are introduced to robotics and engineering and people are persuaded to pursue careers in those subjects, should it matter what form of inspiration is/was? Whether it is FIRST, BattleBots IQ, Botball, even Transformers (the movie) the bottom line is we are exposing people to robotics/engineering and I think that is what is most important.

The medium is irrelevant as long as the message gets across.

Pavan.

Madison
07-11-2007, 02:48 PM
As long as students and the masses are introduced to robotics and engineering and people are persuaded to pursue careers in those subjects, should it matter what form of inspiration is/was? Whether it is FIRST, BattleBots IQ, Botball, even Transformers (the movie) the bottom line is we are exposing people to robotics/engineering and I think that is what is most important.

The medium is irrelevant as long as the message gets across.

Pavan.

The ends should not, in all cases, justify the means -- and I believe this to be a circumstance where that is true. Battlebots' popularity comes as a result of its focus on destruction and not for any of the thought or engineering that went into the machines. Creating a machine of destruction is not and should never be something to aspire to -- irrespective of the amount of thought, careful consideration and stress analysis placed upon it. A bomb that finds its target with pinpoint accuracy is still a bomb and I'm not interested in getting anyone excited about that sort of engineering. If that's what we're trying to do here, I'll go join a soccer team or something.

Using Battlebots' destructive nature to try to appeal to people, then "convert" them to the ways of FIRST later, represents a core disbelief in the value of this program -- and worse than that -- is deceptive and a colossal waste of time and resources better spent on the folks who're most interested in making things better for everyone.

JaneYoung
07-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I think as more practical applications are developed and implemented, robotics will become/continue to become more mainstream.
The medical fields, the space industry, the car industry - to name a few - robotics will continue to grow and develop in areas that are surprising and exciting.

There is room for the competitions to showcase robotics- the excitement for me is seeing what the students are exposed to in FIRST by working with our engineers and scientists, working and expanding in real world applications.

Pavan Dave
07-11-2007, 03:36 PM
The ends should not, in all cases, justify the means -- and I believe this to be a circumstance where that is true. Battlebots' popularity comes as a result of its focus on destruction and not for any of the thought or engineering that went into the machines. Creating a machine of destruction is not and should never be something to aspire to -- irrespective of the amount of thought, careful consideration and stress analysis placed upon it. A bomb that finds its target with pinpoint accuracy is still a bomb and I'm not interested in getting anyone excited about that sort of engineering. If that's what we're trying to do here, I'll go join a soccer team or something.

Using Battlebots' destructive nature to try to appeal to people, then "convert" them to the ways of FIRST later, represents a core disbelief in the value of this program -- and worse than that -- is deceptive and a colossal waste of time and resources better spent on the folks who're most interested in making things better for everyone.

But you speak of only the beginning where there is also a middle and end. In the beginning people get hooked to the destruction etc., but after they do research and learn about it they realize (the middle) and than they respect (the end). There is a process of realization before somebody says "I want to be an engineer" and mostly those realizations are not because "I get to blow stuff up."

FIRST is not different from Battlebots* [IMO]. The skills you learn in each are the same. There is teamwork involved, there is a calculated risk (more in Battlebots), there is a strive for efficiency, etc. Honor, integrity, gracious professionalism still exist in Battlebots but they are not displayed on the playing field and are not "requirements" as FIRST makes them out to be which is even better because people choose to have some respect and honor compared to us in FIRST who are expected to have it from the time we start building to the time we pack the pit from the last competition. If anything they are two roads that lead the place but by different obstacles.

*Overall. I do realize that destruction vs live in harmony aspects of BB vs FIRST.

Pavan.

Travis Hoffman
07-11-2007, 04:59 PM

I do believe that sometimes you have to dig through the trash and clean off the layers of dirt and grime in order to find diamonds in the rough. They do exist - we've discovered several on our team over the years. Not all robotics kids come from a pre-established background of creativity and scientific curiosity built upon a foundation of parental support and encouragement. Sometimes, mentors have to use some elbow grease to clean and polish the rougher kids until they find a way to shine. It's ok to get a little dirty in this pursuit.

Other people's trash is someone else's treasure. I think it's a positive goal to try and "salvage" kids who've been brought up to celebrate violence and destruction (or have been allowed to develop this affinity for mayhem via lack of attention and guidance from their parents).

Now I agree with Madison - we'd never want to lie and deceive these kids by telling them that FIRST is anything like Battlebots. Instead, just simply *pay attention* to them and do whatever you can to show them your robots and get them involved with a team. Sometimes, these "fringe" kids appreciate the simple fact that you actually give a crap about how they feel and what they're doing, and that is all you need to begin to unravel all the negative attitude and curb their destructive or antisocial mentality.

While the ultimate goal of FIRST is to cultivate the next generation of top-notch engineers, I personally do not feel teams should be treated as an exclusive club for those "best of the best" who've always shown the intelligence and desire to pursue science and technology. I feel there is always some room on a FIRST team for kids from more troubled backgrounds to learn, change, and grow. I bet on many teams, some of our more surprisingly creative ideas and spirited enthusiasm for the program come from those whom the rest of society allowed to wander astray - those who were never given the opportunity to participate in these FIRST activities that now bring more meaning and purpose to their formerly empty lives. Open the door, show them the light, let them walk through, and don't let them ever look back.

Wasn't this at one time a Transformers Movie thread? The real Devastator (Constructicons combiner team) is rumored to be in the sequel w00t!!

robostangs548
07-21-2007, 10:07 PM
I would see it just to see the new 2009 Camaro! I am really excited to see that thing rolling down the streets.

Jeremiah Johnson
07-22-2007, 01:33 AM
I would see it just to see the new 2009 Camaro! I am really excited to see that thing rolling down the streets.

Personally, I think it looks terrible. They're just trying to catch up with Ford... looks a lot like the new style Mustang. :rolleyes:

CraigHickman
07-22-2007, 02:40 AM
I actually really liked the movie. The acting sucked, but the CG and explosions more than made up for it.

And I'm not a fan of the new Camero, simply because I love the old one too much.

robostangs548
07-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Crazy! I think that it looks 100x better then the mustang atleast. Especially because it will SMOKE one in a quarter mile.

Jeremiah Johnson
07-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Crazy! I think that it looks 100x better then the mustang atleast. Especially because it will SMOKE one in a quarter mile.

The Mustang was the first one to bring back the look of the early styles, the Camaro has now followed, but has failed in my opinion. They have looked and been terrible since they went to a more modern body style. The Saleen is still the sweetest looking ride in that movie.

Paul Copioli
07-22-2007, 04:57 PM
I loved the movie! My son (6 years old) and I have seen it twice in the theater and he has been bugging me to go again. I was a huge transformers consumer as a kid and saw the 1986 movie (a cartoon).

I agree the plot seemed a bit rushed and the last 1/3 of the movie was not as good as the first 2/3. Now that I think about it the movie didn't really elaborate on the background as much, but it was probably on purpose. I looked around on opening night (actually July 2nd pre-viewing), and it was people my age and older and thier kids (up to about 16ish). That was clearly the target audience: kids who grew up with Transformers and their kids.

I am an action addict and enjoy most movies, even crappy ones (I liked "Kung Pao Enter the Fist"). There was soo much action in this movie and I found myself cheering out loud (I never do that). My son has not stopped talking about the movie and now has Transformers pajamas.

The movie was entertaining for my son and I and we will be seeing it again in the theater (it's only $6 during the week in our area).

I don't know what my life would be like if I was as critical of movies as some of the people in this thread ... I bet you critical types only enjoy about 1/2 of the movies you watch. I feel sorry for you.

robostangs548
07-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Well i just got back from seeing it, and I think that whoever thought that the Camaro looked bad in that movie must have been on some kind of Ford mind controlling drug, because it was amazing, I don't think that they could have displayed it better. It was sweet, and they made it look like an amazing work of art. I thought that the movie absolutely blew my mind, but, I do think that there some cheesy lines such as "I am Megatron!" It's like when i got out of a bed of ice that I was in for hundreds of years, I wouldn't be like "My name is Mason" I would just be like "Where am I? haha. Anyway, I thought that it was a great movie, and I could just imagine the budget that it must have taken to create it. Anyway that is just my opinion. I would definitely recommend going to see it. (P.S. I don't want to get in a fight with you Budda, because the last time I did, you gave me a ton of negative rep, so I am just going to end it right here, walk away, because we have serious split opinions that should just be settled. So you win, Mustang is great. Happy? I don't really care.) "But you can see what I really do like in this picture of my desk: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=635741&postcount=70)

Paul Copioli
07-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Robostangs548,

I do think that there some cheesy lines such as "I am Megatron!"

Don't you think that the "I am Megatron!" line was in response to the dialogue that was taking place right in front of him? Some believe that when you are frozen you can still take in whatever is taking place around you. Remember the idiot arguing with the kid about his name? Well, Megatron was just telling everyone that his name was megatron, not NVE1.

I started laughing when he screamed it out.

robostangs548
07-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Robostangs548,

Don't you think that the "I am Megatron!" line was in response to the dialogue that was taking place right in front of him? Some believe that when you are frozen you can still take in whatever is taking place around you. Remember the idiot arguing with the kid about his name? Well, Megatron was just telling everyone that his name was megatron, not NVE1.

I started laughing when he screamed it out.

haha, me too.

=Martin=Taylor=
07-23-2007, 11:07 PM
I do think that there some cheesy lines such as "I am Megatron!" It's like when i got out of a bed of ice that I was in for hundreds of years, I wouldn't be like "My name is Mason" I would just be like "Where am I? haha.

bahh...

If you ask me there weren't enough cheesy lines. If paramont had kept their promise we would have had all manner of amusing jokes. (http://206.220.43.61/primespeaks/votePrime/#top) (view the pole results)

I mean serisouly!?:mad: Where was:

"Do a barrel role!"
"These pretzels are making me thirsty"
"I can't explain the flames... they're just cool"

Elgin Clock
10-23-2007, 01:01 AM
Thread revival ftw!

Just picked up the movie last Wednesday and I got the awesome special edition version at Target:
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v130/8/100/507827109/n507827109_595212_5479.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v130/8/100/507827109/n507827109_595213_5799.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v130/8/100/507827109/n507827109_595218_7508.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v130/8/100/507827109/n507827109_595219_7863.jpg

On another note, anyone know the name of the (instrumental) song that is played right as the new Camaro makes it's appearance??

It's right after the "Oh, great you pissed it off" line when they are in the tunnel.

It's like a short guitar riff, and then some horns/trumpets maybe.

Anyone knows the name of that song let me know!
Thanks!

basicxman
10-23-2007, 11:25 PM
great movie, i like the line 'a porsche youve got to be kidding me' 'i am'

raymaniac
10-24-2007, 09:04 PM
I STILL need to see that movie!

Grant Cox
10-24-2007, 09:19 PM
On another note, anyone know the name of the (instrumental) song that is played right as the new Camaro makes it's appearance??

I'm pretty sure the song you're talking about is Tomoyasu Hotei - Battle Without Honor Or Humanity.

Picked up the DVD last Tuesday when it came out, went straight to Target from school :D still remains an incredible movie, although after 4 times in theaters (1 prerelease preview, 2 regular, 1 IMAX) I miss the big screen/surround sound.

Elgin Clock
10-25-2007, 01:41 AM
I'm pretty sure the song you're talking about is Tomoyasu Hotei - Battle Without Honor Or Humanity.

Yesss!!!! I found a clip of that song! That's it! Awesome!

Thanks. :)

Zyik
10-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Some of the plot bits involving the humans might be a bit painful, but the robots make up for it.

Robots+explosions+huge amounts of technical mumbo-jumbo = awesome.

Got in soon as it came out on DvD to rewatch it.

Goober!!!
10-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Can someone tell me what all the special features have one the disc cause the set that I bought was just the movie and Transformers the Beginning?

Goober!!!:D :D :D