PDA

View Full Version : pic: IRI Talent Show Cellphone

Jeremiah Johnson
07-23-2007, 11:53 PM
[cdm-description=photo]28883[/cdm-description]

Schnabel
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Man I heard him practicing earlier before the show and he was really good. His voice was very good too. He was just very nervous. I felt so bad for him. If any one can contact him, let him know that he did a very good job if you ask me!
Now I'm not going to say that I wasn't playing along with my cell phone backstage! ( :

dlavery
07-24-2007, 12:56 AM
At the 2007 IRI, a member of 393 played the piano, while the crowd held up their cellphones. The place erupted in laughter, and I kinda felt bad for him.
You missed the point of why people were laughing. When he was singing, people started to holdup their cell phone in a modern variation of the practice of holding up lighters at a concert to show appreciation. Then two people in the audience held up their laptop notebooks, and started waving them slowly over their heads as the backlight illuminated the crowd. Everyone just cracked up at the sight. They were laughing at the audience, not at the performer.

-dave

Danielle H
07-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Well put Dave.
And, actually, the two people holding up their laptops were from 393 as well.
Our mentor and programmer.
And, later, Ethan told me he didn't notice.
So, for the consolation of everyone, it's all good.
*Nodnod*

234smidget
07-24-2007, 03:56 AM
Yes, well put Dave but with the performer being nervous, he might not of seen all the cellphones and got more nervous with the laughter.

I love the judges but there was one error pronounced at the end of the show "fish boy" did not win the talent show last year. Mitchelle Mounts did from cyberblue234 :D.

Jeremiah Johnson
07-24-2007, 09:17 AM
You missed the point of why people were laughing. When he was singing, people started to holdup their cell phone in a modern variation of the practice of holding up lighters at a concert to show appreciation. Then two people in the audience held up their laptop notebooks, and started waving them slowly over their heads as the backlight illuminated the crowd. Everyone just cracked up at the sight. They were laughing at the audience, not at the performer.

-dave

Grr... I know that. I felt bad because I didn't think he realized he knew what was happening and MAY have thought they were laughing at him, which most definitely wasn't the case.

JaneYoung
07-24-2007, 09:34 AM
As a former keyboard player who sings (for my own entertainment, trust me)
something happens sometimes - you get in the zone.

This talented young man who captivated his audience and at least one judge - had found the zone. I was watching him very closely because of my familiarity with his situation - he was focused on the sheet music and perhaps gauging his closeness to the mic. When the audience erupted because of the 2 laptops, he didn't miss a note, keyboard or vocal.

I understand the concern, it was a thought that flitted through my mind at the time also, but it worked out.

We all know geeks provide glorious unexpected moments of pure fun and beauty, sometimes simultaneously - esp. when mentors and programmers are involved. :)

InfernoX14
07-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Man I heard him practicing earlier before the show and he was really good. His voice was very good too. He was just very nervous. I felt so bad for him. If any one can contact him, let him know that he did a very good job if you ask me!
Now I'm not going to say that I wasn't playing along with my cell phone backstage! ( :

I was kind of hesitant to get it started, but it was so worth it :p (cellphone on the far left, although it does look like the person in the orange is holding that one, I don't have a pink Razr)

This guy was very good at what he was doing, it takes a lot of guts to sing and play an instrument in front of an audience, especially if that audience is laughing at something you don't know about.