PDA

View Full Version : baddesigns.com

Tottanka
08-23-2007, 11:37 PM
just a cool website i wanted to share..
http://www.baddesigns.com

Jeff K.
08-23-2007, 11:44 PM
That's pretty funny, though some of the things are just ridiculous.

http://www.baddesigns.com/rstdoor.html

That place looks similar to this restaurant in Oregon. They had a pretty big sign on the inside of the door. We got a chuckle out of seeing that, but it was a nice Thai restaurant.

John Gutmann
08-24-2007, 01:00 AM
That guy relates alot of the stuff to himself. Like he had to push a door instead of pull it. If he really keeps pulling it then maybe he needs to get common sense instead of complaining about it. The tooth paste one is the same way. Even if you don't know that it is on the cap to piece the seal wouldn't you assume they give you the tool to do it? He needs some common sense.

I should make a website named reallystupidpeople.com I can say why the people are stupid and who they should replace these people with. Perhaps my #1 will be George Bush, or Perhaps it is all of congress....

-John

6600gt
08-24-2007, 02:15 AM
I should make a website named reallystupidpeople.com I can say why the people are stupid and who they should replace these people with. Perhaps my #1 will be George Bush, or Perhaps it is all of congress....

-John

Amen to that!

Alan Anderson
08-24-2007, 11:08 PM
That guy relates alot of the stuff to himself. Like he had to push a door instead of pull it. If he really keeps pulling it then maybe he needs to get common sense instead of complaining about it.

If you get a chance, read The Design of Everyday Things by John Allen Paulos. Common sense says that something with a bar-shaped handle is made to be grasped and pulled. Pushing, on the other hand, is a natural response to a flat plate. Nearly everything I saw on the baddesigns web site violates a fundamental usability principle, and if common sense had been applied to the design, the problems would not occur.

Did you notice the picture of the doors he was complaining about? The first needed to be pulled, and presented the appropriate handle shape. The second had exactly the same handle, but needed to be pushed instead. The problem is definitely with the doors, not with the person.

Kevin Sevcik
08-25-2007, 12:39 AM
I understand many of the points, though I can't say I agree with most of them. The right turn traffic light... There's left turn lights like that as well. Mostly, though, I was terribly dismayed by that restaurant door one. Is he suggesting all doors should be glass? ANY non glass/windowed door is a chance to get whacked. Most of us just open them slowly by default and approach them with slight caution. Declaring all opaque doors bad design just seems silly.

Mostly, I'm annoyed because he's quite quite obviously only considering the design from the approach of making it absolutely brainless to use, etc. Many of the design decisions he's so obviously annoyed with were just as obviously made for cost or other reasons.

And the one complaining about car window buttons lifting up? Yeah, that's a highly important safety feature on modern cars to keep kids from choking to death, and I think they work rather well.

WernerNYK
08-25-2007, 06:14 PM
We used that website and that book (Design of Everyday Things) in a DFM (Design for Manufacturability) grad class that I took last year. We thought it was funny that one of the worst designs on that website is the website itself. Absolutely awful! :rolleyes: