PDA

View Full Version : Posts Away

Molten
10-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I am tired of there being nothing here. So, now that I am finally started using Pro/E, I can post. I just thought I would be giving everyone a heads up. I will now be posting questions for how to use it to its fullest. I am in a class now but we are going to stop before we get to assemblies:( . A real shame, I was hoping to master it in this class. Because this will not work anymore apparently, I will now start to learn it on my own. Hopefully all of you will be able to help me learn.

CraigHickman
10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Righton! Ask away, we'll be glad to help you as much as is possible!

Good job taking the step to learn inventor. CAD is an invaluable skill!

basicxman
10-23-2007, 08:39 PM
is Inventor free, can someone give a link!?

Madison
10-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Just for clarification -- and so that I can move the post as appropriate -- are you talking about using Inventor software or Pro/Engineer software, Molten?

Joe G.
10-26-2007, 02:31 PM
is Inventor free, can someone give a link!?
depends on who you are, if you are a student, you can probably get a one year license from here:

http://students.autodesk.com

Or, it will be available to FRC teams here once build starts
edit: also FTC teams this year

http://firstbase.autodesk.com
Otherwise, it costs something like $5000 dollars

Molten
10-28-2007, 07:37 PM
M. Krass, thanks for catching my typo. I have mastered modeling in Inventor and 2D geometry in CAD. I am now learning modeling in ProE. Sorry for the confusion. I was just having one of those days.

Madison
10-29-2007, 03:47 PM
M. Krass, thanks for catching my typo. I have mastered modeling in Inventor and 2D geometry in CAD. I am now learning modeling in ProE. Sorry for the confusion. I was just having one of those days.

No worries. I moved the thread back into the Pro/E forum and edited your original post to correct the typo.

There aren't many Pro/E users posting actively on these forums, from what I gather, so I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with program-specific problems. I've used it a bit, but don't like it much for the work I do.

Good luck with learning the new software. :)

Jon Jack
10-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Having used Inventor, (and taken classes in both) Pro/E and SolidWorks I think you will learn very quickly that Pro/E is archaic and can often be a pain to use, I can honestly say it's the hardest CAD package I've had to work with...

I can see a reason for a beginners class not going into assemblies. Learning the basics of Pro/E and it's interface can take quite a while to learn. One of the Pro/E classes I took covered modeling, assemblies and drawings in one semester... We covered things so quickly it was sometimes tough for people to remember even the basics of the interface.

Don't be discouraged though. Knowing Pro/E is a useful skill. For one, many large companies (General Dynamics and Solar Turbines to name two off the top of my head) still use Pro/E. Secondly, SolidWorks (which is very popular these days, especially in smaller companies) are very similar.

Molten
11-01-2007, 07:09 PM
My city has many factories, but the largest has to be Cummins which uses Pro/E. Besides, Pro/E isn't that hard as long as you have some back ground in drafting. I agree that it is the hardest I have worked in yet. However, do you think it is harder then 3-D CAD? Besides, I know high school students who can already do advanced assemblies on Pro/E after only working on it for eight weeks. I think that the teacher is just holding us back so we don't get ahead of some of the other students. I am not one to be held back though, which is why I will be on here off and on. Also, first question. How do I use a work plane in Pro/E?

PTC_FRC
11-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi all,

I have posted in a few other forums.......

For FRC teams, all members can access Pro/E and Mathcad for free. To help you learn Pro/E, we have tried to assist in this effort by providing ample training via the web-based training portal. This is available at http://first.ptculms.com. User can register for this portal and take web-based training modules for Pro/E (modeling, assemblies, mechanism, Sheetmetal, detailing, etc) and Mathcad.

Having any knowledge in CAD will aid in your adoption of Pro/E. This is reinforced by over 7500 middle schools and high schools using in North America today. IF you are a new user, the new interface and user model of Pro/E, will allow users to easy get up to speed and create their design.
If you have further questions, please let me know. My contact email is mfischer@ptc.com or firstsupport@ptc.com

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mark Fischer
Director PTC Education

GBilletdeaux930
04-26-2008, 08:35 PM
For FRC teams, all members can access Pro/E and Mathcad for free.

I know this thread is a bit old but where would i get these?

PTC_FRC
04-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi GBilletdeaux930,

You can download free seats of Pro/E and Mathcad, once your team's main contact signs up for a free collaboration project. This project will your team to control and manage your documents online, collaborate on 3D models and manage your timeline.

Once registered for the project, your team's main contact can invite the team members. From the project, you can download seats of Pro/E and Mathcad.

Here is the link your team contact can regsiter from - http://frc.ptc.com/Windchill/FirstRobotics/FirstRobotics.jsp

Thanks,
Mark Fischer