PDA

View Full Version : Documentary FIRST Robotics 2008

Documentary
11-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Hello Robotics Fans!

Hello, my name is Tara Chiusano, and Iím an associate producer for a television documentary film about the 2008 FIRST Robotics competition. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has asked KETC-TV, a public television station located in St. Louis and Story House Productions, an international, award-winning documentary film company, to produce the documentary for Public Television.
We are a documentary film company casting for a film about the First Robotics competition and the people in it Ė thatís right, we want to show the world how much time and effort you are putting into First Robotics. So if you are smart, funny and willing to let us film you in all of your robotic glory and think you have what it takes to be a star let us know now!
A couple of quick notes on what we are looking for: your team needs to be eligible to compete in First Robotics, able to sign releases and willing to have us film your team in all stages of the competition. Please email me, Tara Chiusano at Chiusano@storyhousepro.com, or my associate, Alex Buder at buder@storyhousepro.com. We shall contact you immediately to follow up and explain how the process for getting your team on board with the project!
May the best robots win!

-Tara Chiusano
Associate Producer
chiusano@storyhousepro.com

basicxman
11-13-2007, 03:27 PM
just a suggestion include FRC, FTC and FLL instead of just FRC

Richard Wallace
11-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks for posting about your documentary here on the ChiefDelphi Forum, Tara.

I have replied via email on behalf of my own team, FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos. You might also want to contact the St. Louis FIRST regional planning committee -- I sent you contact email addresses for both my team and for the committee.

KETC has a long history of producing world-class documentary programs. I'm looking forward to seeing yours. :)

Molten
11-13-2007, 04:36 PM
I am a mentor of team 1766: Temper Metal. I will check with my team on Thursday and will get back with you on our availability. I also want to let you know that what you are doing could greatly benefit small teams such as ours that are having a hard time getting support from the community. Even if it ends up not working out for our team, please post how we can get a copy of this documentary when you are done.

Koko Ed
11-13-2007, 04:40 PM
So are you just covering teams participating in the St. Louis regional or is it teams around the United States? And do you plan to be at the Championship Event as well in April?

Documentary
11-13-2007, 05:06 PM
We are looking for teams from all around the country, please contact me to submit your materials for consideration.

Tara Chiusano
Associate Producer
chiusano@storyhousepro.com

Madison
11-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Apparently, e-mails went out to regional directors and then some teams were contacted directly as a result. As a head's up, we're being asked to produce for them a brief introduction to our team by Nov. 27.

If this is something your team is interested in, don't hesitate to get in touch with these folks. The timetable is brief.

synth3tk
11-15-2007, 07:29 PM
For those who already contacted them, there's been a slight change in the required info:

Hello again,

I just wanted to let you know that there has been an adjustment to the written portion of the submission. We will NOT require names and ages of the kids on the team, so please do not include that section in anything that is submitted.

If you could please pass this along to anyone you have sent our guidelines to, that would be much appreciated. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this my cause.

T3_1565
11-16-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm sure our team may be interested in this but We are not in the USA. We were wondering if this documentary will extend to Canada by any chance?

Andrew Schuetze
12-11-2007, 08:03 PM
No decision yet:ahh:

In case anyone else has been wondering, I sent a short note to Tara C. regarding the selection process. To paraphrase her reply,"The selection process is taking some time as the quality of the submissions are soo good." So I guess we all will have to wait some more to find out if our team was selected for this really cool project.:)

Where is the crossing your fingers / knocking on wood emoticon:confused:

JaneYoung
12-11-2007, 08:20 PM
No decision yet:ahh:

To paraphrase,"The selection process is taking some time as the quality of the submissions is soo good."

That's not surprising one bit. The standard of excellence in many FIRST teams is probably just a tad overwhelming when trying to make this type of selective decision. It would also not be surprising if something were said about it being a privilege and an honor to learn about these teams during the process.

Nica F.
12-11-2007, 08:37 PM
I am surprised that I didn't read this thread before. It sounds like a really great project. Good luck to all the teams out there going for it!

cziggy343
12-13-2007, 04:25 PM
wow! that sounds pretty cool! too bad i didn't read about it before now :)

Madison
12-20-2007, 03:33 PM
...so, just curious if any other teams have been notified of their participation in this documentary?

My understanding is that teams were notified on Monday.

IndySam
12-20-2007, 04:05 PM
I haven't heard a thing.

Bob Steele
12-20-2007, 04:25 PM
We got a notice today that we had not been chosen.
It would be neat to see who did get chosen at some point.

Richard Wallace
12-20-2007, 04:31 PM
I heard today that our team was not selected, but another team in the St. Louis area was. Congratulations to them, and I know they will represent our area well. Hopefully one of their students or mentors will post something here soon.

notaPINKtruck
12-20-2007, 06:24 PM
We've yet to hear either way.

Stay tuned.

InfernoX14
12-20-2007, 06:29 PM
The Storyhouse Pro company was really interested about the scholarship we give out to one senior on the team. They wanted to see how the idea of the scholarship would create tension between the seniors vying for the scholarship. However... there is no tension created, in fact, that's not even on the seniors' minds during build season.

So, we came up with another proposal involving how there are many strong seniors who will be leaving the team and how the younger students will need to be trained for fill in for them following years.

I don't know if we have heard back from them, though.

Kevin Kolodziej
12-20-2007, 06:31 PM
I have been out primary contact with Tara and I have not heard anything one way or another yet. Good luck to all!

N7UJJ
12-20-2007, 06:47 PM
We received this email today:

Hello!

First, I just wanted to thank you for all of your patience and efforts in helping us with our project! I know we expected a lot in a short amount of time and then have made you wait to find out what is going on.

We have made our preliminary decisions and have contacted the teams that we will be working with in the coming months. It was a very hard selection process with over 150 teams submitting videos. Every team has a great story to tell, unfortunately, we could not feature everyone.

However, we will be seeing you at Regional competitions and of course in Atlanta for Nationals! Good luck with everything this build season and, again, many thanks for your participation!

Have a safe and happy holiday season!

--
Heather L. Hogan
Associate Producer

JaneYoung
12-23-2007, 10:32 AM
We received this email today:

Hello!

First, I just wanted to thank you for all of your patience and efforts in helping us with our project! I know we expected a lot in a short amount of time and then have made you wait to find out what is going on.

We have made our preliminary decisions and have contacted the teams that we will be working with in the coming months. It was a very hard selection process with over 150 teams submitting videos. Every team has a great story to tell, unfortunately, we could not feature everyone.

However, we will be seeing you at Regional competitions and of course in Atlanta for Nationals! Good luck with everything this build season and, again, many thanks for your participation!

Have a safe and happy holiday season!

--
Heather L. Hogan
Associate Producer

We received this same email.

I'm sorry to hear that you guys won't be a part of the documentary. There is such an incredible story with multiple areas and levels that could be explored in your team. Actually, there's probably enough material to make a documentary just about Team 842. Truth is, that is probably true about many of our teams.

Have a great 2008! Good luck to all of the FIRST teams participating in this project!
Jane

N7UJJ
12-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. We were speculating reasons why they would not select us when we submitted our information. A biggie is our location. Logistically, it would be difficult to have a camera crew and producer in AZ.

Also, we have received a bit of exposure already and media do not like to do stories that have already been covered. With so many interesting teams, our notoriety probably works against us.

Anyway, hopefully, this is just the beginning of a dearth of media stories about students who are thriving in an excellent extra-curricular academic competition that promotes, math, science, engineering along with gracious professionalism.

Allan

wendymom
12-23-2007, 09:53 PM
We still havent heard anything either way......AAAAHHHHHHHH

synth3tk
12-23-2007, 10:33 PM
We haven't received a acceptance or rejection letter either. Hoping we hear from them soon.

Kevin Sevcik
12-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Anyway, hopefully, this is just the beginning of a dearth of media stories about students who are thriving in an excellent extra-curricular academic competition that promotes, math, science, engineering along with gracious professionalism. I think that, instead of "dearth", you perhaps meant glut, abundance, bounty, or profusion.

N7UJJ
12-24-2007, 06:29 AM
I think that, instead of "dearth", you perhaps meant glut, abundance, bounty, or profusion.

Spell checker, grammar checker ... I need a This-Is-What-I-Meant checker.

Allan

Libby K
12-24-2007, 12:35 PM
We haven't heard either way. That's either very good or very sad.

Either way, congratulations to the teams that got chosen, and to those who didn't, I'm sure there will be other opportunities.

:)

Libby K
12-27-2007, 03:53 PM
1923 just received an email saying that we were not selected.

Good luck to the five teams chosen!

wendymom
12-27-2007, 04:08 PM
1902 just heard...we aren't in it either.....can't wait to see who is!!!

Andrew Schuetze
12-27-2007, 05:50 PM
499 just recieved the same email informing us that we were not selected:(
Good Luck to those still waiting:cool:

MWTrek
12-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Yep 176 just heard we weren't selected. I can't wait to see the finished product though.

MiniNerd24
12-27-2007, 06:03 PM
I am surprised that I didn't read this thread before. It sounds like a really great project. Good luck to all the teams out there going for it!

I think this is really great too. In a way, nerds all over the world can show off what we do for fun!:D :cool: :p

I haven't heard anything about this either (besides this thread I mean)

N7UJJ
12-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Here is a list of the five teams selected:

Team 341 "Miss Daisy" from Wissahickon High School in Ambler, PA
Team 488 "Team XBot" from Franklin High School in Seattle, WA
Team 1583 "Rambotix" from Ridge View Academy in Watkins, CO Team
1706 "Mango Fandango" from Timberland High School and Holt High School in Wentzville, MO
Team 2528 "Tough Ladies" from Western High School in Baltimore, MD

This is really an excellent lineup!

Allan

Robyn Needel
12-27-2007, 11:03 PM
We got the notice today that 768 was also not selected, but I just read the list of teams that will be covered by the cameras. Congratulations to all of you - have a wonderful time working on the project!!!

And now....back to waiting anxiously for kickoff!

Robyn

nuggetsyl
12-28-2007, 10:27 AM

1706 "Mango Fandango" from Timberland High School and Holt High School in Wentzville, MO

Allan

I am a bit suprised not to see bigger name teams up there.

Andrew Schuetze
12-28-2007, 10:49 AM
I am not certian that 'big' names was the interest for this special. I draw that conclusion from my phone conversations with Tara C. She was looking for interesting human interest angles that teams might have. I do not know much about the five teams picked but team 341 seams to have a few interesting stories to tell about their help the Iraqi students program and bringing VEX to asia efforts. I learned of this via a quick google search and the real reason to have a team website. To tell your team's story of promoting FIRST goals & values.

For my own curiosities sake, I'd like to hear from these teams what stories that PBS was interested in telling.:cool:

dlavery
12-28-2007, 11:06 AM

Why is that? I like the idea that the PBS production will feature teams that may not be the ones that we typically see every year on Einstein. The fact that these teams may be from "the middle of the pack" may actually be what makes them attractive subjects for the story - they are more representative of the majority of "average" FIRST teams and possibly more representative of the typical experience.

-dave

p.s. and the whole "no big name teams" is somewhat arguable. Certainly Miss Daisy is very well known on the east coast as a hard competitor and three-time Regional Chairmans Award winner. Team XBot is one of the longest-term teams from the Pacific northwest. They are hardly unknown quantities.

JaneYoung
12-28-2007, 11:16 AM
For my own curiosities sake, I'd like to hear from these teams what stories that PBS was interested in telling.

It may or may not be anything they can share right now or maybe they are a little busy with the holidays and Kick Off.

Any team chosen would have provided a wonderful, exciting human interest story. These five will represent FIRST well and will showcase the true grit of a robotics team. I'm sure of it!
--
Wonder what an "average" team is or typical experience feels like, although I understand the statement. :)

Edit: I guess I've met so many teams that dig deep and go the distance, it is hard for me to think of words like 'average' and 'typical' when thinking of FIRST teams. The makeup of each team, the build location, the decisions that have to be weighed and balanced. The tough decisions. How teams handle loss and how they handle success. That is what I meant, I did not mean any disrespect towards Dave or to the average, typical experience. I've just lost the concept and am having trouble finding it again.

Madison
12-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Sorry to disappoint.

Stephi Rae
12-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Congrats to the teams chosen! We are disappointed to have not been chosen, but I am really glad to hear that 488 was! You guys helped us out and have been a great contact as another team in the Seattle area! I'm sure you'll do us all proud!

Ryan Dognaux
12-28-2007, 08:10 PM

Miss Daisy and Xbots are bigger name teams.

Congratulations to all the teams who were picked! I'm looking forward to this documentary. It's always interesting to see a glimpse of how each team works.

MissInformation
12-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Congratulations to the teams selected, and wow! Especially Team 2528... that's the high school I graduated from, so I'm really looking forward to seeing this team profiled and hopefully meeting them at a competition this year!!!

Heidi

p.s. Western may be a rookie team, an unknown, but there is nothing average about any of the Western ladies.

catsylve
12-28-2007, 11:52 PM

Allan

Congratulations 1706! You guys overcame some tough stuff last year to make it to the competitions. It will be great to see your build season and hopefully it will go a lot smoother with no waterfalls involved.:D

xitaqua
12-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Hello catsylve,

Thank you for yours words of encouragement. I just like to let you know that Team 1706 will be releasing a press release soon once it is official that we have been selected to be on the documentary. In the meantime I ask everyone to await for "official announcements".

I thought I would use this opportunity to expand on the "waterfall" mention by catsylve. Here is a description of "deleted scene : the waterfall" :

It was early in 2007, freezing cold in Wentzville, MO. We are a couple weeks into competition, nowhere near the $6,000 needed for the kit. We were contacting anyone we knew that could help us. I decided to contact the Pastor of my church, we even drafted a letter, but for mysterious reasons the letter was never given (mostlly was because I had forgotten to give to him). In an "Act of God - The Waterfall", we were able get enough awareness to be able to raise the money.

You can check it out the story by going to www.ksdk.com and going to the search box and type : "wentzville robotics"

One organization that helped us was a group of students from a another nearby school. They raised more than $1,000 by themselves. The team decided to recognize them for their efforts. I was able to get a photographer to take a group picture of them. As I went to the photographer to pickup the picture, I noticed one of the students wearing a t-shirt that had the logo of my church on it.

God Bless,
Marcos.
Mentor - Team 1706. :)

cbudrecki
12-30-2007, 01:09 AM
Seeing as how I work for a PBS station, I'm really excited about seeing the documentary. I've tried talking my station into doing a local doc about the area teams (NEPA), but I guess it won't happen this year. Perhaps they may hop on the bandwagon and do one next year.

nuggetsyl
12-30-2007, 09:26 AM

I have been away for the last few days and i am really suprised about the reaction from my statment:confused: . So i would like to clear things up. People are assuming that I did not like the choices pbs picked. This is not true in fact i think 341 is one of the best chairman canidates out there. The only thing i truely care about with the pbs documentary is it brings first to the next level of getting more high schools involved.

Nica F.
12-30-2007, 03:52 PM
I have been away for the last few days and i am really suprised about the reaction from my statment:confused: . So i would like to clear things up. People are assuming that I did not like the choices pbs picked. This is not true in fact i think 341 is one of the best chairman canidates out there. The only thing i truely care about with the pbs documentary is it brings first to the next level of getting more high schools involved.

And they can surely do that with the teams that were picked.

I love the variety of great teams and would like to congratulate all the teams who were chosen. Good job and I cannot wait to see how this documentary turns out!

Ellery
12-30-2007, 08:06 PM

Allan

Congrats to all the teams! I'm sure you'll do the FIRSt community proud and I can't wait to see the final product!

This will be a nice add to my collection of FIRST videos!

Bob Steele
12-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Congrats to all of the chosen teams!!! You guys will do us all proud!!

A special congratulations to Team 488!!! We love you guys!!!
We will never forget you coming to the airport at midnight to cheer us home after we won at Las Vegas last year!!!

They could not have picked a better team to represent FIRST and the Pacific North West!!!

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help out in any way!!!
We are looking forward to seeing the video...

See you guys at Portland and Seattle and the championships!!!

Great JOB!!!

Mr MOE
01-01-2008, 08:24 AM
On behalf of MOE 365, congratulations to all teams selected for what is sure to be an interesting and revealing look at some FIRST teams behind the curtain.

We all look forward to all selected teams spreading the word through their video diaries this season.

Best of luck!

xitaqua
04-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Hello All,

I hope everyone had a great season !!!!.

Here is a blog entry on the PBS documentary:
http://smartpei.typepad.com/robert_patersons_weblog/2008/03/ketc-and-first.html

PBS - KETC Photos:
http://www.ketc.org/PhotoGallery/PG_FirstRobotics08_1.asp

zachjo
04-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Hello All,

I hope everyone had a great season !!!!.

Here is a blog entry on the PBS documentary:
http://smartpei.typepad.com/robert_patersons_weblog/2008/03/ketc-and-first.html

PBS - KETC Photos:
http://www.ketc.org/PhotoGallery/PG_FirstRobotics08_1.asp

will that only be on a local PBS or is it widespread? It should be interesting. We need a Hows it made about a FIRST robotics field or something cool like that.

xitaqua
04-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Hello zachjo,

It will be a national documentary which follows the story of 5 teams.

From Robert Paterson's Weblog, March 4, 2008 entry :

"In addition to the Wentzville team, the documentary will profile an all-girls team from Baltimore ; a team from Idaho headed by a young man with Muscular Dystrophy; a team from a youth corrections facility in Colorado ; and a first generation Chinese student on a team from Seattle who must battle his non-English-speaking parents to let him participate."

Cheers,
Marcos :)
Member of ASEE
www.asee.org

zachjo
04-18-2008, 09:50 PM
the funny thing is that the PBS has interviewed the college mentor/president of my team, a fellow high schooler, our whole team , and myself.

zim2411
04-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Hmm... will this air in HD? :D

OZ_341
04-20-2008, 10:06 PM
The teams that are featured in the documentary, to the best of my knowledge, are listed below.

Team 341 "Miss Daisy"
Team 488 "Team XBot"
Team 1583 "Rambotix"
1706 "Mango Fandango"
Team 2528 "Tough Ladies"

We only had direct contact with Team 2528 and they are an awesome example of a Rookie team!

The timing for release should be late fall 2008 or early next year. There is also no guarantee from the producers which teams or in which proportion they will be featured. That will be determined later by the editors. Hopefully they will show all of these teams. It is certainly a diverse group that will represent FIRST well.

I was quiet until now because I did not want the documentary process to interfere with our season. Now that the Championship is over, I can say that they followed us from team meetings in late December through to the Championship Event.

Most importantly, off-camera, we spent a lot of time educating the directors, producers, and camera crews about the meaning of FIRST. Whenever we were at an event and saw a team doing something really cool, we would walk them over and say "Look at this! This is what FIRST is all about!" I think they were absolutely "floored" by what happens at a regional competition. Hopefully this will translate into the finished product.
Overall it has been a positive experience for us and we hope that the film will show FIRST for the incredible and life changing experience that it truly is.

Gamer930
04-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Not sure what exactly is going on with this PBS Documentary but they may have a central story line on the teams that OZ_341 mentioned but seems like the will do something additional on other teams.
When we were uncrating our robot there was a camera crew from this documentary right there trying to get every angle. Then they asked one of our student mentors to do an Interview late Thursday and 12 of our team members did a 45 minute (Question & Answer) session with them late Friday. They had a student say an introduction ("We are Team 171 Extreme Engineering from Platteville, Wisconsin") three or four different times. Then answered a bunch of questions and finally did a closing team chant.

Asking questions about this Documentary and filming we found out that the crew that was at Championship was a private contractor hired just for filming. They didn't know too much information about the specifics time dates. Information I gathered is that they are doing a main story on FIRST Robotics then some smaller sections about individual teams. Release date set for Late Fall.

xitaqua
04-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Hello All,

One of the team they have followed is Team 341 (aka Miss Daisy). There is a nice article online on the team on Montgomery Newspapers titled : "WHS robotics team takes home regional honors ". It talks in some detail about the production process.

The article mentions the students used a Sony HD Camera to help them share their experience with the audience.

Their team website is :
http://www.team341.com/daisyV.html

:D

Cheers,
Marcos.
Member of MSTA
www.msta.org

RoboMom
04-21-2008, 08:15 AM
The teams that are featured in the documentary, to the best of my knowledge, are listed below.

Team 341 "Miss Daisy"
Team 488 "Team XBot"
Team 1583 "Rambotix"
1706 "Mango Fandango"
Team 2528 "Tough Ladies"

We only had direct contact with Team 2528 and they are an awesome example of a Rookie team!

Minor edit: Team 2528 changed their name to the "RoboDoves" (a name that really is fitting) but it didn't get updated in the programs. The team received a judges award at the Chesapeake Regional, but did not qualify for the Championship so their "PBS story" ended there.
But their team story is just beginning, as they had an inspirational rookie year.
And I agree, they are awesome!
A big thanks to Story House Productions, and their local crew out of Washington DC who followed this team. The crew was terrific, polite and got up to speed on what FIRST is pretty quickly. We are hoping the story of 2528 makes the final cut, along with all the great teams listed above.

OZ_341
04-21-2008, 10:22 AM
........We are hoping the story of 2528 makes the final cut, along with all the great teams listed above.

I have no doubt that 2528 will be in the documentary. I think they captured the attention and the hearts of many people at Chesapeake.

MasterChief 573
04-21-2008, 10:30 AM
A third of team 573 was pulled aside on Saturday to do closed door/confession style talks about their experience with FIRST. I'm quite curious to see what was used because I don't know what anybody did except myself. Who knows when this documentary is scheduled to air?

woe18
04-21-2008, 10:33 AM
The Channel Cats were very pleased and (shocked) to be one of the 4 teams selected for an interview at the Championships. Aside from "Fish-boy" and "unicycle kid", we tend to be very introverted.

We are also very committed to FIRST. We do not have a teacher on our team. Our kids come from 8 different schools, which do not participate in FIRST. As parents and mentors, we had a choice; either wait for the school's permission to become a school club, or go out on our own. As engineers concerned about a future work force, and as parents concerned about future jobs for our children, we felt FIRST too important of an opportunity to wait. So we formed our own 501(c)3 for the sole purpose of supporting FIRST within our county.

We recruit our kids through word-of-mouth, public demos and by moving up students from our Lego Leagues (we should be up to 15 county teams for 2008). Our high school students are not typically "joiners", so our participants generally do not know each other prior to becoming involved on our team. For them, this is the only club or organization in which they participate.

Although I am extremely proud of our team and their dedication, I recognize the veteran teams that have set a very high bar! Without their energy, innovation and continual push to be the best role models the nation has to offer, this documentary wouldn't even be possible!

OZ_341
04-21-2008, 11:10 AM
A third of team 573 was pulled aside on Saturday to do closed door/confession style talks about their experience with FIRST. I'm quite curious to see what was used because I don't know what anybody did except myself. Who knows when this documentary is scheduled to air?

To the best of my knowledge there are two different PBS efforts going on. One is a series of testimonials and stories about the FIRST experience. I am not sure what the end product will be for this. I have heard there will be at least a PBS website and short segments in between TV programs or perhaps they will make a longer TV program.

The other is the documentary following the five teams.

This is what I think is going on with the closed door interviews, but I am not completely sure

dlavery
04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
To the best of my knowledge there are two different PBS efforts going on. One is a series of testimonials and stories about the FIRST experience. I am not sure what the end product will be for this. I have heard there will be at least a PBS website and short segments in between TV programs or perhaps they will make a longer TV program.

The other is the documentary following the five teams.

This is what I think is going on with the closed door interviews, but I am not completely sure

Actually, there were at least four different documentary projects being filmed at the Championships.

Most already know about the current PBS show being filmed by Story House Productions (http://www.storyhousepro.com/) for PBS. They are the film crews that have been following the five previously-mentioned teams during the build and competition seasons, and were in attendance in Atlanta.

Fleur de Lis Films (http://www.fleurdelisfilms.com/html/Welcome.html) was also there, filming the final parts of "The Superbowl Of Smarts." This is a documentary film tracking the progress of Team 1868 - Space Cookies, Team 1583 - Rambotics and Team 2024 - Kekoa E Haaheo (Team 116 and NASA funded a big chunk of the production as part of our outreach efforts).

The PBS piece will be shown exclusively on PBS broadcast television, and the "Superbowl Of Smarts" film is targeted at theatrical release, to be shown at independent movie theatres and film festivals. Together they will reach a broader audience than either effort would alone, and help tell the "FIRST story" to a much larger portion of the public.

A third film crew was there to record the vignettes and team anecdotes that have been mentioned. This will be compiled into a "video storybook" of highlights and impact statements about FIRST. For the teams that were tapped to provide on-camera interviews, this is probably the crew you talked to.

The fourth crew was part of a special project that will be discussed later.

Altogether, these teams will be compiling a great set of tools to promote and advance the goals of FIRST. They will help all of us, by providing another view of the answer to the question "so what is FIRST all about, anyway?"

-dave

OZ_341
04-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Dave!

it is nice to see so much coverage for FIRST!

Billfred
04-21-2008, 12:04 PM
A trio of students from the University of South Carolina, of which I was a part, also did interviews with several teams along the way. (I distinctly remember 842, 188, 180, 1902, 1398, and 191--there were probably more I'm forgetting.) That was part of a student project, which I hope to get posted for all once it's completed. (It's due in about a week and a half, so you won't wait long.)

My brother was also present on a photojournalism assignment for another (unrelated) project.

FRC teams certainly know how to give folks great material for media!

GaryVoshol
04-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Most already know about the current PBS show being filmed by Story House Productions (http://www.storyhousepro.com/) for PBS.
A third film crew was there to record the vignettes and team anecdotes that have been mentioned. Members of our team were approached by someone from PBS (at least that's who she said she was with) to do a "confession booth" interview. Probably some additional background and exposition for the PBS show. So at least some team anecdotes will be considered for that broadcast, beside the primary focus on the 5 teams.

MasterChief 573
04-21-2008, 02:27 PM
A third film crew was there to record the vignettes and team anecdotes that have been mentioned. This will be compiled into a "video storybook" of highlights and impact statements about FIRST. For the teams that were tapped to provide on-camera interviews, this is probably the crew you talked to.

Thank you for clearing that up sir, I can't wait to see it.

xitaqua
11-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Hello Everyone,

There is a "teaser" for the 2009 PBS Documentary produced by KETC on FIRST Robotics.

One of the teams is featured on this youtube clip :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcgR2WM6qso

Richard Wallace
11-06-2008, 06:03 PM
There is a "teaser" for the 2009 PBS Documentary produced by KETC on FIRST Robotics.

One of the teams is featured on this youtube clip :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcgR2WM6qsoVery cool. This is why we keep coming back. :D

xitaqua
02-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Hello All,

Does anyone know if there is a link to the PBS Documentary clip showed at FIRST FRC 2009 Kickoff ?

Cheers,
Marcos.

Jared Russell
02-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Hi Marcos,

I believe that the video is still available from the NASA webcast. They have archived the video and you can download it from: http://robotics.nasa.gov/events/2009_frcwebcasts.php

Note that this is the video for the entire kickoff, so you will need to do some fast forwarding.

Hope this helps!
Jared

lenny8
02-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Man im a whole year late on this lol. wish i knew i would have entered our team:(

IndySam
02-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Man im a whole year late on this lol. wish i knew i would have entered our team:(

They were filming in St Louis last year, perhaps you will be in the show.

Jared Russell
02-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Every team has a story to tell. As FIRST grows, so will the amount of attention given to it by the national media.

This may have been the first national documentary about FIRST, but it won't be the last. Even if you didn't get in on it this year, there will certainly be some more opportunities going forward.

xitaqua
03-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Where are they now ?

Both Mentors from Team 1706 have mentored rookie teams this year. Both of them during the 2008 off-season participated on a company sponsored mentor training program which they built themselves a "demo robot" using the FIRST Robotics 2008 kit. That experience allowed them to get "hands-on" experience in building robots and working in teams :D

One of the rookie teams got featured on KSDK Show Me St. Louis :

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=170068

:)

Richard Wallace
03-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Where are they now ? ... Proudly wearing gold medals (http://www2.usfirst.org/2009comp/events/MO/awards.html). :D Congratulations to 2009 St. Louis Regional Winners 16, 71, and 1706.

Nawaid Ladak
03-22-2009, 10:46 PM
so when is this officially being televised. anyone have a specific date or something

thanks

OZ_341
03-22-2009, 11:18 PM
so when is this officially being televised. anyone have a specific date or something thanks

To the best of my knowledge it will air in late Spring. But that is only an estimate. It is still going through the final approval and scheduling process at PBS. Apparently, this phase takes some time.

If I find out anything else othat is "official", I will post.

xitaqua
06-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Hello All,

I heard they finished editing a couple weeks ago and plan to release the movie in Fall 2009, let me know if anyone has different information.

Have anyone seen newspaper article or newscast piece that mentions the FIRST documentary ?

Cheers,
Marcos.

Jared Russell
06-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Hi Marcos,

The information that you have is correct as far as I know. Last I heard PBS had not yet settled on a final air date (and it hadn't been determined whether it would air on "national" PBS time or individually at various times on local affiliates).

That said, I have it on good authority that the 90-minute finished product is of excellent quality and will be a huge asset for the FIRST community for years to come ;) .

Jared

Akash Rastogi
06-26-2009, 09:27 PM
[Hehe shameless plug] Everyone, please remember to support your PBS station to keep great documentaries and shows like this on the air and in production![/Hehe shameless plug]

xitaqua
07-07-2009, 07:07 AM
I had signed up to be a member and got tickets to Donny Bash, I was not able to make it but I gave my tickets to my co-workers and they loved. Also as a member you get discounts to many participating business.....very cool. Maybe this year I can get tickets to Celtic Thunder show here in St. Louis.....

I heard they will be having a website in support of the documentary, has anyone heard the same information ?

Cheers,
Marcos.

OZ_341
07-07-2009, 07:28 AM
I heard they will be having a website in support of the documentary, has anyone heard the same information ?

Cheers,
Marcos.

I believe there will be some supporting materials developed. Hopefully they will be contacting us all very soon.