PDA

View Full Version : Gear Tooth sensor Programming


DPTeam270Driver
02-02-2008, 12:44 PM
hello,
there is a discrepensy within our team
one of our members wants to put 2 gear tooth sensors on both of the motors(one on each). he says that they will be in sync with eachother( in case one motor is slower than the other). is this possible to be done with programming
or will they automattically sync eachother.

-team 270

psy_wombats
02-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Are you putting gear tooth sensors on four driven wheels, two on each side, or are you putting two gear tooth sensors on two driven wheels, one on each side?

Either way, if you're trying to look to synchronize motor speeds with code, you could always try 2 PID loops for each side of the drivetrain. If you mean trying to find values for distance with many gear tooth sensors, taking the average should suffice.

I guess clarification would make it easier to answer the question.

usbcd36
02-02-2008, 12:49 PM
There are ways to do this with sensors, however, the motors will not "automatically" turn at the same speed.

If your programmer really knows what he's doing, he'll be able to do this, given some time (PID for position control, PD for velocity control, etc…). If he doesn't, he can probably find the information here.

Also, if you haven't corrected the problem with the gear tooth sensors (which involves switching two tiny resistors on one of the boards), you won't get anywhere with them.

DPTeam270Driver
02-02-2008, 04:16 PM
we were going to put the sensors on the gear boxes so it would count the gear teeth in there. there is a mount for them there(on the plexi side).
to clear up some info,
and we are going to send in the sensor to get it fixed

Gamer930
02-02-2008, 04:55 PM
we were going to put the sensors on the gear boxes so it would count the gear teeth in there. there is a mount for them there(on the plexi side).
to clear up some info,
and we are going to send in the sensor to get it fixed

The holes on the Lexan Sides are slightly off we have noticed. . . We ended up making our own holes on the metal side and using some short standoffs.