PDA

View Full Version : Team 1735 - Green Reapers Robot

dk5sm5luigi
02-23-2008, 07:00 PM
http://www.team1735.org/images/2008/Ship/img7581.jpg

Here is our 2008 robot from the morning of ship.

Devibeast
02-23-2008, 07:31 PM
The claw idea was mentioned for our manipulator but we never thought it would work >.<

BrendanB
02-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Cool i like the fencing. Are you going to GSR???????:confused:

dk5sm5luigi
02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Cool i like the fencing. Are you going to GSR???????:confused:
No, we are going to Boston.

Nuttyman54
02-23-2008, 08:29 PM
D-FENCE! Looks good, we'll be cheering for you in Boston!

burkey_turkey
02-23-2008, 10:43 PM
nice design, that looks like a very lightweight but sturdy arm. i wish i could see it in action. any videos?

ReaperGoat
02-24-2008, 01:27 AM
nice design, that looks like a very lightweight but sturdy arm. i wish i could see it in action. any videos?

As far as I know, we haven't got any video yet. The entire robot is extremely lightweight - one person can lift it quite easily.

carolynn4848
07-07-2008, 07:38 PM
hi nick!!! We have one smexy robot, dont we?

commodoredl
07-07-2008, 09:08 PM
What happened to the sweet scythe you guys put in? :P
http://www.beaverbots.com/boston_frc/boston%20frc%20regional%202008_1985_std.jpg

vivek16
07-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Say, what material did you use for the claw? Steel conduit? Fiber glass?

thanks, Vivek

carolynn4848
07-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Say, what material did you use for the claw? Steel conduit? Fiber glass?

thanks, Vivek

*shrugs shoulders* i dont know, but i do know it didnt work

vivek16
07-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Darn!

Were there any non roller or grabber claws that worked?

I am talking about something like driving against the ball when its against a wall and have the ball get "trapped" in the claw.

Our manipulator design requires the ball to be able to escape out the top but not so much the sides or front.

thanks, Vivek

carolynn4848
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Darn!

I am talking about something like driving against the ball when its against a wall and have the ball get "trapped" in the claw.

Our manipulator design requires the ball to be able to escape out the top but not so much the sides or front.

thanks, Vivek

I'm sorry. I am so unhelpful.
We don't even deal with the ball anymore, we use our speed. We just race around in circles..... or try to at any rate.

dragon ninja
07-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Vivek, look up 230's robot from this year (Gaelhawks). Their ball acquisition mechanism is similar to what i think you're describing.

vivek16
07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Sam,

That is like our manipulator right now except we don't have those long (plastic? fb?) white rods in the front to keep the ball in. We have tried a lot of things but nothing really seems to work. Look at this video (http://www.thebluealliance.net/tbatv/match.php?matchid=9484) to see how our manipulator worked. We are the large black robot with 2264 on the side.

Was 230 able to pick up balls off the ground to hurdle?

thanks, Vivek

dragon ninja
07-08-2008, 09:16 PM
the white rods in the front are pvc (.5'' i think). they smashed a ball into a field element/other robot to acquire.

JesseK
07-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Vivek --

We had "PAWS" that were pneumatically operated and worked beautifully in Atlanta. The main premise was based upon two arcs that curved with a 20" radius over the top of the ball. The arcs were mounted at a specific distance (determined via CAD) that extended past the apex of the ball as much as possible yet also stayed just barely inside our starting constraints. The mount point allowed us to not only "pounce" on the ball but also kick it off in the same motion when releasing.

The bottom part of the arcs were separate forklift-style arcs that played no real role in capturing the ball. In Atlanta, they were pneumatically actuated so they could be brought up and down as we saw fit.

The upgrades we did for Atlanta would have put us near the top in hurdling capability at our other two competitions had we thought of these ideas earlier in the season. The paws worked out really well, gaining us at least 1-2 hurdles every match in Atlanta (our elevator wire kept snapping which is why we only got one until 1983 suggested and donated some sailor's rope).

The time it took to capture the ball was dependent upon driver's skill, but once it was lined up it took less than half a second for the piston to close the paws and capture the ball. Pic to come later.

tim_reiher
07-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Was 230 able to pick up balls off the ground to hurdle?

From what I saw at Hartford and battlecry, they were quite successful in doing so. There's no video of these events on TBA, but here's a video on youtube of the robot hurdling (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flzUVx1vFyY). The rods would flex enough for the ball to be acquired (by pushing it against a wall, usually).

edit: oops... I take a while to write responses...

Jeff Rodriguez
07-09-2008, 11:03 PM

217's grabber worked pretty well.

acdcfan259
07-09-2008, 11:04 PM
217's grabber worked pretty well.

I heard about those guys.

vivek16
07-10-2008, 01:53 AM
I heard about those guys.

Heh. :D

Although all of these posts have given me good ideas, what I really meant was stationary claws. If that makes sense. I meant claws that do not grab the ball mechanically (no powered grabbing besides pushing against the ball). Keep em coming please! I'm sure someone will get something out of this. Its mighty constructive and the pvc rod gave me an idea that just might work with only minor alteration to our bot.

thanks, vivek

sgreco
07-10-2008, 06:42 AM

Although all of these posts have given me good ideas, what I really meant was stationary claws. If that makes sense. I meant claws that do not grab the ball mechanically (no powered grabbing besides pushing against the ball). Keep em coming please! I'm sure someone will get something out of this. Its mighty constructive and the pvc rod gave me an idea that just might work with only minor alteration to our bot.

thanks, vivek

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but I know team Hammond (71) had an interesting method of pick-up. It is hard to describe but there are lots of videos of them on TBA.

This video (http://www.thebluealliance.net/tbatv/match.php?matchid=10050) has one point where it is easy to see there unique pickup.

JesseK
07-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Technically, 217's claw wasn't actuated in the classical sense to pick the ball up. They had a motorized shoulder joint and a pneumatic release. The potential energy contained within flex'ed PVC and extended surgical tubing is what allowed them to pick the ball up and keep it with no motorized components on the actual claw.

Stephi Rae
07-12-2008, 01:37 AM
488 and 1778 and 2552 out here in Washington had claws like I think you are asking about. In the seattle regional 488 added another part to their bot that would hold the ball in from the top, but it still worked adequately before that at the Oregon regional.

You can see 488's alright in this one...
http://www.thebluealliance.net/tbatv/match.php?matchid=5363

1778 in this one, and the other team had the same bot as 1778...
http://www.thebluealliance.net/tbatv/match.php?matchid=5364

Hope it helps...

sgreco
07-12-2008, 07:12 AM

thanks, vivek

2593 was a very succcessful rookie. They had just two forks for pick-up(I don't remember off the top of my head how they did at the Boston regional, but at Beantown Blitz they were consistantly getting at least 2 hurdles a match)

16-here's a video (http://www.thebluealliance.net/tbatv/match.php?matchid=5348) (16 is on is the team with blue bumpers and a shooter)

=Martin=Taylor=
07-12-2008, 08:57 PM

thanks, vivek

Team 25 rammed the ball into their robot. No claw or nothing. Just a little arm to secure it.

Worked okay when their wasn't any defense on them. But as soon as the bashing began they had trouble acquiring game pieces.