PDA

View Full Version : Who has an actual programming team ?

SL8
02-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Just wondering because our "team" consist of me.

MiniNerd24
02-24-2008, 08:15 PM
You too, huh. Yeah me and my Head mentor worked on ours mostly. Didi you have any help?

Koko Ed
02-24-2008, 08:17 PM

We have a Software/Controls team.
http://www.x-cats.org/images/software.jpg

ComradeNikolai
02-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Our programming "team" consists of myself and the freshman (sophomore next year) whom I need to train for after I graduate... training my replacement will not be fun.

DarkFlame145
02-24-2008, 08:19 PM
We have a mentor and student team that do our programing. But they are part of your "controls" team which does the electrical, pneumatics, programing and such.

SL8
02-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Earlier in build, I did have some help from a mentor, but no I did not have any hands on help. I spent many lunch periods learning.

SL8
02-24-2008, 08:25 PM
If you do have an team, could you tell how many people are on it.

kevin.li.rit
02-24-2008, 08:25 PM
About 3.5 People are on the programming team but some of us are on other teams.

SL8
02-24-2008, 08:27 PM
About 3.5 People are on the programming team but some of us are on other teams.
I didn't mention, I'm also learning electrical and mechanical.

Koko Ed
02-24-2008, 08:28 PM
We have a Software/Controls team.
http://www.x-cats.org/images/software.jpg

Sorry I misinterpreted the thread. We don't have an actual programming team. Our programmed is the kid in the background with the sideburns PJ who is also our Operator.

Dylan Gramlich
02-24-2008, 08:28 PM
We have two students and a handful of mentors. This number stays about the same, normally two students.

SL8
02-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Sorry I misinterpreted the thread. We don't have an actual programming team. Our programmed is the kid in the background with the sideburns PJ who is also our Operator.
you didn't misinterpret it, I was just wondering who had more than one person programming.

Ctrl Alt Delete
02-24-2008, 08:40 PM
We have about 4 capable programmers, but we have one person that really codes most of it. He does all the autonomous and all the crazy formulas that he can do in his sleep. Hat tip to Jeff!

thefro526
02-24-2008, 08:46 PM
We have one real programmer lol, and then I help him sometimes but I don't really like to program

MasterMkanik
02-24-2008, 09:07 PM
We have two programming students, and one mentor, one student is a senior, so next year will be interesting. then everyother student is on build, we dont have electrical or pneumatics teams... its just kinda.... whoever knows how to do it, does it.

Wylie99998
02-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Our programming "team" consists of myself and the freshman (sophomore next year) whom I need to train for after I graduate... training my replacement will not be fun.

yep ours too.

manderson5192
02-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Our programming team consists of myself and one other guy who know how to program in c as well as work with the hardware on the RC. Technically, there are 12 of us from freshmen to seniors who all help us two get stuff done. Their jobs range from helping all the other subgroups, looking over my shoulder to learn how to program, and making sure I remember all the semicolons and /r/n statements at the end of each printf (so you don't have to recompile just because the readout in IFI loader is legible). We have that this system works well, as last year I was one of the kids who looked over the shoulder of our last programmer. I learned alot from him by asking questions, observing, and doing the grunt work like diagnosing what caused the CMUcam to stop functioning properly.

Laaba 80
02-24-2008, 09:47 PM
We have a programming team, but I am the only one that is not on anotherr team. We had around 5 others that tried to help, but they dont know very much about it. I started teaching them in the beginning, but then things got busy and they were needed elsewhere and I had to work faster without explaining what I do. We have 3 programming mentors. 1 comes on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and the other comes on Thursday. If you have more than 1 programming mentor, it really does help having them come on different days because then it is more days that you can ask someone questions. Our last mentor is my programming teacher at school, but he doesnt know exactly what we need to do to tell the robot to move, however he does know syntax very well and has helped me catch many of my errors.
Joey

Laaba 80
02-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I remember all the semicolons and /r/n statements at the end of each printf
Do you mean \r\n?:D
Joey

manderson5192
02-24-2008, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=manderson5192;706628] I remember all the semicolons and /r/n statements at the end of each printf QUOTE]
Do you mean \r\n?:D
Joey

...:o

Sam N.
02-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Five students and two mentors. We really try to suck programmers in. They're useful (and the funniest).

SL8
02-24-2008, 11:05 PM
So the number of team that have more than one person on them is about 50-50.

Cooley744
02-24-2008, 11:17 PM
we have 1 junior and a mentor. we need help. lol. they are really good but there's not enough of them.

SL8
02-24-2008, 11:28 PM
BTW, if there's any way I can help , just PM me.

love4hellokitty
02-24-2008, 11:35 PM
We currently have 3 programmers and 2 mentors (only one is really active this year)
one is a senior, so I'm trying to learn everything I can for next year. The other is a sophomore, like me, but is new this year.

luciaes
02-24-2008, 11:44 PM
830 has a team for electrical/pneumatics/programming but only one kid does most of the programming.

Scott Carpman
02-24-2008, 11:58 PM
We started out this build season with 8 programmers and no mentors, now we are down to 5. Next year we lose them all, 4 due to graduation and one is changing high schools.

(FYI 694, you guys are getting a new programmer next year.)

SL8
02-25-2008, 12:00 AM
We started out this build season with 8 programmers and no mentors, now we are down to 5. Next year we lose them all, 4 due to graduation and one is changing high schools.

(FYI 694, you guys are getting a new programmer next year.)
Go find ya"ll a freshman.

Blue_Mist
02-25-2008, 12:15 AM
One programmer, who is also Box Operator. Two programming mentors, one our faculty adviser (who is awesome) and the other a parent who also mentors (even more awesome). We also don't actually have mechanical, electrical, pneumatics or CAD teams, since the Point Person system seems to invariably fail by halfway through the Build Season every year. Our entire Robotics team does all of the above, in varying proportions. Although I think we actually had a group of people who did the entire animation off-campus (on Woodside's campus, thank you Team 100).

hillale
02-25-2008, 12:43 AM
1625 had one major programmer/electrician this year with the very eager aid of another student and a couple of mentors who are engineers in the field.

t3hroxor
02-25-2008, 06:24 AM
This year our twin robot team did most of the programming, which was one guy, but last year we had one and a half programmers.

Qbranch
02-25-2008, 06:26 AM
We have a software team.

-q

Drakkon
02-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Yeah, as seems to be the running theme, the programming team is me and a mentor. we, along with a freshman, make up the electrical/control systems team as well. but hey, we get it done.

Betty_Krocker
02-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Yeah, last year it was just Nick, this year we have 3 programming people, so idk if that qualifies as a team, but there are a few other people including me that know just enough of C to be dangerous...

Sunshine
02-25-2008, 07:53 AM
We have a programming team made up of 3 students and a mentor.

BigJ
02-25-2008, 09:15 AM
we call our programming team Control Systems, and we consist of:

1 engineer
1 college student trying to not screw up teaching :o
3 or 4 students depending on the day (1 or 2 students are also animators)

The students this year are all rookie FRC programmers... the learning process usually consist of writing a file or function with them, and then the engineer picking us apart :D

A col thing we did this year was use typedef struct { } to make our project pseudo-object-oriented, which let us split up the work into different teams of students.

kDude
02-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Ours consists of 3 people + 1 mentor, and this was the first year any of them have used the easyC/MPlab software.

fabalafae
02-25-2008, 10:34 AM
We have an actual programming team...it consists of about...5 or 6 students. Plus mentors.

1902_Battery_SGT
02-25-2008, 10:43 AM
team 1902 has two programing mentors, four programming students. two of those students also work on other things like animation and website. None of them are in no way connected to electrical.

scirobotics
02-25-2008, 11:14 AM
our team has a programming team of 4 students with a teacher as mentor, we do all our own programming ourself, not our teachers!:yikes:

JAZAD1
02-27-2008, 09:10 AM
We have a group of 4 guys that program 1 is about to graduate though and he helps in the build 1 is a freshman and hes not bad but hes new to the style of programing.

xrabohrok
02-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Our team has a programming "team", which involves me programming and a bunch of people that say they are learning C but "don't have the time". The best part is that I have to leave next year and I have no obvious hier...

techkid7
01-08-2009, 04:41 PM

We have 3 but we are also teaching the rest of the team that wants to know

Salbert
01-08-2009, 05:56 PM
M.A.R.S. has a programming sub-team with about three students (two are learning programming) and one or two mentors. Most of our programmers are juniors, and we lost a bunch who graduated in 2008.

My advice: have a mentor that knows C or whatever it's called and students of all ages who have time to learn and want to learn.

ezpkns
01-08-2009, 06:26 PM
We have a programming team of about 4. However I am still learning.

Kaushal.K
01-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Team 1241 has 6 programmers this year, 3 seniors, 2 sophomores and 1 freshman... we have 1 part-time mentor.

Last season we had 2 programmers and 1 mentor... found it worked better that way, smaller team = more pressure to perform = everything got done.

Failsafe
01-08-2009, 06:53 PM
We have a couple programmers, they manage to pull it off, we usually get help from some sponsors and mentors though.

Sam2197
01-08-2009, 07:19 PM
we basically have one person that learned how to program this year and do it well. and she is hopefully going to share her knowledge. and we have two other people that are electronic geniuses. i am mainly anything mechanical and pneumatic. also i drive but thats not what this is about. i hope you guys can manage to pull some other people into programming

flyingcrayons
01-08-2009, 07:23 PM
team 1089 has a decent sized team... we have about 10-12 people, 3-4 have prior experience, and the rest are newbies... then again, with labview, everyone is a newbie on our team (pretty much)... but we also have two really great mentors who have done loads for our team...

Bochek
01-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Our team has quite the opposite problem. we have a massive programing team (10-15 students) and almost no mechanical team (only 3 students this year)

synth3tk
01-08-2009, 07:36 PM
We've got a pretty well-balanced breakfast.

Three non-rookies, and one in training. Plus a guy from my church has shown interest and decided to join, so now he's helping as an adult mentor. That means our total is 5, which is massive for us.

The programmers, along with our decent-sized mechanical team, should make for a pretty productive season this year. We also have two or three media people, and about five support (non-building) members.

Keep in mind, though, that those aren't numbers of individuals. Our team is only about 15 strong, so some people (including me) do double- or triple-duty. But it works out well, and usually without any complaints.

surferacf
01-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Our programming team consists of:

* Me (The only person who's worked with the cRIO and read the manuals, but have other obligations to the CAD team)
* A Junior who's also the lead of the Assembly team
* A Freshman who's constantly cracking "You're Mom!" comments and has some C experience
* Another senior who took a class in C, but gets completley freaked/stressed out when things don't work
* A new junior who walked in one day, saw me working on the cRIO, and decided that it looked interesting.

Add in a mentor who knows the general logic flow behind some of our programming ideas this year (but has never worked in LabView), and you're got our motley crew.

David Doerr
01-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Team 67's Software & Controls Group has nine students and four mentors this season. Two of our students have two years experience, four are rookies and the rest fall in between. Our mentors range from novice level of expertise to advanced.

TheOtherGuy
01-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Programming team?

Hey, we actually have one of those this year! Just me and our super-awesome mentor the last two years, which worked pretty well but we never had a good chance at testing things (probably due to small size of programming team and thus smaller time allotted by other subteams for us to work on). Somehow, in my final year, we managed to pull 5 or 6 more people in, and in our second day of messing around with LabVIEW I've already managed to get them to edit and download several programs without my help! :eek:

I know a lot of people like to program in solitude, but (at least to me) teaching people and watching them soak in all the hard-earned knowledge you've gained over the years is an eletrifying feeling! I can't wait to see what our team comes up with this year :)
(Heck, we got "those darned encoders!" from two years ago working perfectly in one try in LabVIEW! This year's gonna be awesome...)

bobwrit
01-09-2009, 10:01 PM
We have me(2nd year), a 4th year, a 1st year that it currently learning, another 1st year, and another 2nd year, and our mentor, so we have a team of 6. Which also happens to be 1/2 the team... :yikes:

Hanna2325
01-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Robettes

We've got 4 girls on "programming"

synth3tk
01-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Robettes

We've got three girls on "programming"
Soooo..... *debates on whether or not to say it*

Nothing gets done on your team, huh? :D

*runs, leaving a trail of dust behind him......*

Hanna2325
01-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Soooo..... *debates on whether or not to say it*

Nothing gets done on your team, huh? :D

*runs, leaving a trail of dust behind him......*

lol

Nope... we actually get a lot done and have a very focused team...even if we get side tracked into talking with british accents, etc, occasionally...

:yikes:

Taran2345
01-09-2009, 11:29 PM
is it bad that we have about 5 kids on our programming team? we have our 6 weeks planned into a schedule of about three teams per week. for the first week we have mechanical, programming/electrical, and of course the marketing group. we have found that this works really effective for our second year team.

p.s. anyone know what to do with froshs who dont listen? lol!!!

synth3tk
01-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Ask them what they like to do, and place them in a position on the team that fits. If there isn't one, see if you can create one.

Kiwi
01-10-2009, 12:20 AM
This year, we have two sophomores and a freshman learning labview, plus one labview mentor and one mentor in general programming stuff. Last year it was basically me and a senior we got lucky enough to recruit, who actually knew C.

I'm technically the only experienced programmer on the team right now, and I've been working on oversight/integration but plan on coming back to help write autonomous. The other person with programming experience spends most of his time building electrical.

During the debates on whether to switch to C++ or LabView, I noticed that everyone who'd ever programmed before was in favor of C++, while all the roookies and electrical/mechanical engineers wanted the pretty pictures. Did any other programming departments encounter the same thing?

Taran2345
01-10-2009, 01:25 AM

sorrry about this, had a rough day with teammate and shouldn't of vented of CD. That isnt what its for. thanks for the ideas though. will diffinently try those out. had to get this off my consious before i could sleep.

synth3tk
01-10-2009, 06:07 AM
I completely understand, it can get very frustrating. Last year just about half of our team did nothing, literally, despite the efforts of the other half to help them find what they'd like to do on the team. We'd even give them tasks in different sub-teams to nudge them along, but that proved fruitless.

Sorry, off-topic. Anyway....

laditek
01-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Longwood team 564 has a programming team of approximately 7 programmers with 4 being very proficient and 3-4new members learning.

OUr programmers are responsible for wiring all sensors along with programming and developing new code for specific functions

rdlevy1215
01-10-2009, 06:54 AM
1676 has 5 student programmers (2 are seniors) and generally 1 mentor (occasionally 2-3).

Josh Drake
01-10-2009, 08:06 AM
We were not fortunate enough to become a Beta test team, but were lucky to have our programming mentor be selected to go to the weekend in Texas to learn and share the control system to the state. We have two students on the programming sub-team, and another mentor helping out where he can. I feel you always need more than one person understanding what's going on with the program. That allows for different points of view, and if the robot should ever revolt and take out it's programmer, hopefully the other one can step in and take over.:D

suj
01-10-2009, 11:56 AM
We have two programming students, and one mentor, one student is a senior, so next year will be interesting. then everyother student is on build, we dont have electrical or pneumatics teams... its just kinda.... whoever knows how to do it, does it.

our teams programing contains only two members which consites of me a rockie and a older member but the programers aren't just programing like i'm in mechanical partially as well so we don't really have a programing team

1337Nerd
01-10-2009, 12:14 PM
We do, but it's slowly thinning out with less and less people joining our team and even less joining that division.

Right now we have 2 guys programming and one learning.

ComradeNikolai
01-10-2009, 01:07 PM

Just as an update, our programming team has grown:
We have a college student as our programming mentor.
We have myself as the programming team leader.
We have two seniors, a sophomore, and possibly a few others who we are teaching programming. They are very helpful for algorithm development even when they don't know the language.

SL8
01-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Just as an update, our programming team has grown:
We have a college student as our programming mentor.
We have myself as the programming team leader.
We have two seniors, a sophomore, and possibly a few others who we are teaching programming. They are very helpful for algorithm development even when they don't know the language.

That's good to hear. Syntax mean little against a bad algorithm.
Our team has grown some also.

We have program leader, then me, and two others. However, I'm the only programmer with experience.
We do have a mentor though, who drops in occasionally.
It's getting better.
More mentors = more student to mentor relationships = fulfilling just one goal of FIRST.

Chath Maral
01-10-2009, 02:49 PM
*sigh* one of two programmers speaking from 1785...
We have many mentors though, and a few noob programmers, but I don't think that they'll be expected to do much.:ahh:

acdcfan259
01-10-2009, 04:22 PM
We have 5 programmers with 2 mentors.

XXShadowXX
01-10-2009, 05:21 PM
we have on paper " 9 " programmers, but in reality we have 2 people that know labview, 1 person who is learning labview, and i a genius in basic, 1 mentor who can program in G code, so i guess 4....

FiascoBot
01-10-2009, 11:38 PM
We have a programming team of two students and an over seeing mentor.
I have no idea about it, i'm still a noobie and learning the very basics of the mechanical aspect.

Very fun though :)

SammyKay
01-11-2009, 07:43 AM
We have myself (a sophomore who is just learning programming) a junior (who is also learning programming), our main programming mentor (who knew C like the back of his hand), another mentor who steps up when we need him, and possibly a new mentor who works with LabView on a daily basis. That's our programming team. It's pretty interesting too. haha.

fuzzy1718
01-11-2009, 09:20 AM
We have 3-4 juniors, 3-4 freshmen and 1 mentor for all programming and electrical stuff.

amariealbrecht
01-14-2009, 10:59 PM
We have a ligit programming team which consists of (not me) but 3 full time girls and then one mentor who is fully dedicated and then another that helps out but is currently helping out with my subteam electrical