PDA

View Full Version : ESPN & BattleBots: Gearing Up For College And Pro Competitions

MikeJ675
02-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Most won't care, but for those that would, here's some interesting news.

http://www.battlebots.com/news_home.asp#espn

ESPN has made BattleBots an offer: BattleBots will hold a Collegiate BattleBots Championship, featuring robots built by students enrolled in institutions of Higher Education. The Collegiate BattleBots competition will air as a series on ESPNU and ESPN2. This competition will be open to Colleges and Universities, and Student Teams who are enrolled in institutions of Higher Education. This will be a middleweight (120 pound) competition as governed under the current BattleBots rule set -- But, BattleBots is allowing an additional 40 pounds to be added as bonus weight, thus making the total weight 160 pounds! So get creative.

We would like to film this competition in the San Francisco Bay Area as soon a June 2008, but we need your input before any final dates are set. See questions below.

Lots more info at the link, but this'll keep the post from getting massive.

Drew Hopman
02-27-2008, 09:09 PM
I want to make one! Where do I sign up?!?!

Branden Ghena
02-27-2008, 09:14 PM
You mentioned a link... where is it? :confused:

Koko Ed
02-28-2008, 05:41 AM
I hope it's more organized than the one I went to a couple of years ago with Greg. It was really disjointed and came off as more of an exhibition. Considering that I paid $22 to attend that wasn't so great.

Greg Needel
02-28-2008, 07:41 AM
I hope it's more organized than the one I went to a couple of years ago with Greg. It was really disjointed and came off as more of an exhibition. Considering that I paid $22 to attend that wasn't so great.

Ed, the event in rochester actually was an exhibition, the tool and die administration paid BB to put on a show. As for this one it is a return to the roots of televised robot combat. I have already started sketching some ideas for Tetracide 2 (faster, more powerful, etc)...

The event is going to be sometime in the june-july time frame, good thing I didn't work with a team this year because now I have my own 16week build period

Koko Ed
02-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Ed, the event in rochester actually was an exhibition, the tool and die administration paid BB to put on a show. As for this one it is a return to the roots of televised robot combat. I have already started sketching some ideas for Tetracide 2 (faster, more powerful, etc)...

The event is going to be sometime in the june-july time frame, good thing I didn't work with a team this year because now I have my own 16week build period
$22 for an exhibition is a bit much. So what weight class is 220 lbs?

Greg Needel
02-28-2008, 08:36 AM
$22 for an exhibition is a bit much. So what weight class is 220 lbs?

heavyweight

Ryan Foley
02-28-2008, 09:02 AM
http://www.battlebots.com/news_home.asp

Sounds like fun.

Dan Richardson
02-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Hrmm, I've always wanted to do one of these competitions, and its in the summer so thats nice. I attended a BB competition about a year ago and to be honest, it was kind of boring.

There was one fantastic crash and then the bot was disabled and as they say in the south "Dun fur" It definitely would be fun to get some college guys together to do this tho.

Ryan Dognaux
02-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Holy smoke, yeah this sounds pretty interesting. I'm sure we could get a team or two together from Indiana :)

stupid0123
02-28-2008, 01:59 PM
That does sound pretty cool id like to be on a team (bo was here)

bduddy
02-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Too bad it's only for college teams, as my team is in the SF Bay Area and we usually don't do much with our old robots anyway... :yikes:

Kyle Love
02-28-2008, 10:10 PM
So...I might be able to drive a robot again.....interesting.....:D

Richard McClellan
03-04-2008, 12:36 AM
I just read the rules, and was trying to think of a design I'd be okay with building, and then came to the realization - the point of this competition is to HURT other robots :ahh: The thought of destroying any robot is just......depressing :(

AdamHeard
03-04-2008, 12:54 AM
I just read the rules, and was trying to think of a design I'd be okay with building, and then came to the realization - the point of this competition is to HURT other robots :ahh: The thought of destroying any robot is just......depressing :(

Well, you can think about i differently.

When I design for robot combat, I think of trying to make the most durable machine I can (on top of the usual ease of manufacturing, cost, good practices, etc...) because I want my skills tested. Now, to get those tested, the other guy has to be able to lay some smack down; so, he's expecting me to return the favor. ;)

But, I can admit, It's also nice to see some good robot on robot combat sometimes.

Arefin Bari
03-04-2008, 01:10 AM
How much is it to register for one of these competitions?

Greg Needel
03-04-2008, 01:24 AM
How much is it to register for one of these competitions?

using past events as a reference ~$200

although if you are worried about that cost I would suggest skipping it. I would bet that most people with a bunch of FIRST stuff lying around would still need to invest $1500-2500 min to have a competitive machine.

Dan Richardson
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
UCF Team built theirs for a few hundred at the college BBIQ comp I went to last year, but granted they didn't do all that great they basically designed a bot to only beat the #1 bot ( a cow catch that avoided being hit by the spinning blades of their opponent ) they just pushed their opponents into the hazards.

Its much harder however if you can't use good materials.

Ryan Dognaux
03-20-2008, 12:58 PM
An update for everyone was posted a few days ago: http://www.battlebots.com/news_home.asp#espn2

For the college students, this is some good news:
The response to our survey has been tremendous, and the results are in -- Colleges need more time to compete at top level. Therefore, we have set the date for the Back-to-back College / Pro competitions to November 11- 16

We didn't think we'd be able to pull together the people to do this having just come from Atlanta, but now we can work on it over the summer and into the fall semester.

Sean.Conway
03-30-2008, 12:19 PM
I remember going to BattleBots when it was in Las Vegas a few years ago, didnt know it was still around.

=Martin=Taylor=
01-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Love it or hate it, but BB really looks to have come back....

Official event registration has opened on Builders Database, and teams have begun to register. There are three classes, high school (120 lb.), College (120 lb.), and Pro (220 lb.)

Yes. That’s right. High school 120 lbs.

Think you're good at Defense? Well, now you can prove it… :yikes:

I'm not entering anything, but I'm definitely going to test the waters.

Mushrooshi
03-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Combat robotics actually "inspired" me to become so interested in robotics. When I was about 3 or 4, I watched an episode of Robot Wars.

I used to love combat robotics, but I feel the sport has got stale. Every (effective) robot has a spinner. No originality in the sport anymore. Before, you would have robots of every kind to test their metal, from giant sledge hammers to circular saw blades to pneumatic spikes. Granted, these weapons, especially the pneumatic spikes and saw blades were so terrible all they caused were scratches, but at least there was variety.

I actually enjoy watching rambots (Tornado, storm, sewer snake), since they do more than aim for a robot, rev their spinning disk/drum/body, and go, but instead, they actually maneuver a robot around, and they are more fun to watch. The carnage a spinner causes is nothing like watching a combined 200lb+ mass of robots slam into a wall.

kapolavery
04-03-2009, 03:31 AM
at first i liked battle bots and other stuff like that..
but after competing in FRC, i like FRC better bc youre actually building something constructive that is less violent and promotes the whole gracious professionalism ethic that we all strive to emulate.

JesseK
04-03-2009, 07:08 AM
I can't wait to see this competition. There should be some great ideas that would apply to an FRC bot as far as high quality fabrication goes. Though personally I'd only go if I can watch other peoples' robots be destroyed ... I just don't have the heart to watch one of my own magnificent real life creations be pulverized to dust. SimCity :D taught me that.

MikeJ675
05-04-2009, 05:39 PM
I was at the event and had a great time. Entered with my 12lber fighting as a 15lber in the botsIQ event that was running at the same time. Got 4th out of 25-30 15lbers and best engineered.

The big bots were pretty good. I really hope the 220lb stuff makes tv. Can't go into detail about the big bots as those were taped for TV and are covered by the NDA for the event.

Here's my bot getting tossed around in its third match against eXecuter-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-jkRqLX1E&feature=channel_page

Note, the arena roof is at least 8' tall and I hit it twice. Got high centered on a piece of my bot that got ripped off and that's what got me counted out.

Went 5-2, winning 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6. Spent half of match 4 and the rest of the tournament with only one working wheel. I really hope video of matches 5 and 6 turn up.