PDA

View Full Version : Sponsors

Kersten
03-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Our team, 1137, has no sponsors. I'm not quite sure where to look for or how to get sponsors...anyone have any suggestions, it would help greatly.

Blue_Mist
03-14-2008, 03:15 AM
It really helps to get the assistance of your specific high school/s. Look around for any companies and businesses around, especially technology companies. If you contact them, you can often write them a letter for some funding, sometimes even demonstrate the robot for them. Different sponsors will ask for different things, from having their name on the robot/t-shirt/banners to sending quotes from the team. It's a good idea to write a generic letter that can be sent to several different companies, and customize each one just before you send them out. Don't be discouraged if you are refused, rejoice if they give you money/mentors/supplies, always remember to send back thank you letters whether they gave you support, and last but definitely not last, Best of Luck!

niteowl22
03-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Our team does a letter writing campaign every fall to raise funds. I write up the letters, using school letterhead, and have 2 different letters. One letter is for previous sponsors, and I thank them for their donation and include how much they gave us, or what they gave us and then request a donation for the program to continue. The second letter is one used to send to potential sponsors and to give to students to take home to their parents to turn in to their places of employment. Mentors have also taken these letters to their places of employment.

I also include a form to be returned with donations that has the amount given and contact information. My original list of businesses was one I found on the chamber of commerce site for my area. Some companies donate to us every year, some do not. My philosophy is pennies make dollars, so small donations are just as important as large donations.

Our team does have a presentation that can be used to visit area businesses, but that has not been used as much as it should have been this past year. We also take any brochures with information with us when we work at events in the community.

We also invite all sponsors to our annual awards banquet and all who donate $100 or more are given a plaque which the team makes that includes a team photo. This year, I also sent out invitations to the regional the week before the event, and included school administration, the school board and all sponsors.

Akash Rastogi
03-19-2008, 01:04 PM
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58114&highlight=sponsors%2C+fundraising

This thread doesn't directly talk about sponsors, but it is packed with a lot of the information teams who need money look for. Good luck.

-Akash

Boydean
03-19-2008, 01:08 PM
I think the first thing you need to do is make a list thing that sponsors can buy from as far as advertisement. A simple list saying "if you give "this much" then we well put you logo(or name) on our "what ever".

After that set up meetings with the local companies(manly with the PR/HR directors)and give them this list, go through alot about what FIRST is, a good promo video can sometimes say way more in 12min. than anyone can in three hours. If you got your companies hooked than just pump out letters to local businesses. This helps to give owner ship of the team in the community.REMBER! Money isn't everything, food, supplies what not is just as in portent.

A good suggestion is after the build have a VIP dinner or something of such, this is were you can show them pictures,videos, and your robot.

Just some stuff that helped for us. Im sure there are many more ideas out there.

wendymom
03-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Start with the companies your team parents and mentors work for. See if you can make a presentation. Next check with the local chapters of professional societies IE: American society of mechanical engineers, Fluid Power society, Society of Women Engineers etc. From there arrange presentations to Kiwanis, Rotary Toastmasters etc. See if you can make a presentation to the local government....see if they can be a sponsor. Check with your PTA or your SAC committee. There are no limits. One team is sponsored by a car wash, another by a hair salon. Its a lot of legwork and it helps if you have an in (parent who works there) but don't count out cold calling.