PDA

View Full Version : Programming with the new interface

buickgsxstg174
06-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Im just wondering if there will be a sample code for labview and possibly windriver as there was for easy c to understand the syntax needed to write the operator control and the autonomous modes that work right and efficiently. I understand that labview will not be as easy as easy c, but that it will be more involved, in depth and tweakable. Also, will there be a labview gui written with some express vis for features like motor control and sensor use as there was with easy c, or will we need to play around over the summer to try to make those ourselves. (I'm sorry that I keep referring to easy c when I make comparisons of labview, but being that those are the only two programming guis that I have used and experimented with, I like to use it as a reference.)

Also, we are currently programming in mplab with C and while on this site, another question arose, this time about windriver. I understand that C++ is better and more advanced than regular C, but will there be a familiar experience while programming. Im not asking for a user_routines.c or a user_routines_fast.c file, but will those of us who have in the past sweared by programming in mplab than easy C be lost or hindered by our past programming experience?

Last question.
I understand that there are many new and interesting features that come with the national instruments controller, but are there many teams out there who are confident that they can use them as advertised?

ComradeNikolai
06-12-2008, 01:51 PM
I understand that C++ is better and more advanced than regular C, but will there be a familiar experience while programming [...] will those of us who have in the past sweared by programming in mplab than easy C be lost or hindered by our past programming experience?

C++ was primarily built upon C, and so virtually everything you have done in C can be done exactly the same way in C++, with a few minor exceptions which are easily learned/fixed. Those who know C already will be in a WONDERFUL position to use C++ for the new control system, and if they make full use of the object orientation of C++, they will be at a great advantage. Previous C experience will in no way hinder you or make you lost.

Greg McKaskle
06-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Im just wondering if there will be a sample code for labview and possibly windriver as there was for easy c ... I understand that labview will not be as easy as easy c, but that it will be more involved, in depth and tweakable. Also, will there be a labview gui written with some express vis for features like motor control and sensor use as there was with easy c, or will we need to ...

Sample, or starter code will be provided in both C/C++ and LabVIEW. We will also provide Examples of how to read from sensors and interact with other elements of the kit.

As for comparing LabVIEW and EasyC, I suspect a thousand people will give a thousand answers. The documentation will explain how to do things in both languages, and you can make your own path.

Greg McKaskle

Jon236
06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Greg,

On The FIRST Community website, the tutorial: "NI CompactRIO Project and Building Source Distributions" refers to adding Targets. As I read it, this requires LabView Real-Time or one its sister programs. Will we be able to download a module to our existing LV 8.5 to enable us to do this?

Greg McKaskle
06-16-2008, 08:10 PM
I suppose this could be supported, but the general idea was to provide a LV851, the realtime module, and some other modules such as vision.

But of course this will not be made available until FIRST is ready to release the kit.

Greg McKaskle

Jon236
06-16-2008, 08:37 PM
I suppose this could be supported, but the general idea was to provide a LV851, the realtime module, and some other modules such as vision.

But of course this will not be made available until FIRST is ready to release the kit.

Greg McKaskle

There was talk about a control system release prior to Kickoff. Would that include LV851 and the real-time module?

jhersh
06-16-2008, 11:45 PM
There was talk about a control system release prior to Kickoff. Would that include LV851 and the real-time module?

Yes. Any early released hardware will most definitly come with the software and examples required to make it more than an expensive paper weight. ;)

-Joe

Jon236
07-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Working with LV 8.5 and the NXT Toolkit, I am having some issues trying to use a Bluetooth dongle. I have no problem linking the NXT with my PC; it's just the connectivity with the LabView examples provided.

Does anyone have a solution they could share?

artdutra04
07-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Also, we are currently programming in mplab with C and while on this site, another question arose, this time about windriver. I understand that C++ is better and more advanced than regular C, but will there be a familiar experience while programming. Im not asking for a user_routines.c or a user_routines_fast.c file, but will those of us who have in the past sweared by programming in mplab than easy C be lost or hindered by our past programming experience?Yes, you will still be able to write all your code for the new controller as plain text. Just note that you will be using Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org/), which IMHO is much superior to MPLAB.

Last question.
I understand that there are many new and interesting features that come with the national instruments controller, but are there many teams out there who are confident that they can use them as advertised?Don't worry, the new software development options for both coding in C++ and working with LabView should make it easy to start getting advanced results.