PDA

View Full Version : Team Colors for 2001

Paul Copioli
09-26-2001, 02:51 PM
I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks and I thought that it would be really great if all the teams in the FIRST robotics competition changed their team colors to Red, White, and Blue for this year's competitions. Wouldn't it be amazing to see 25,000 people (at Nats, of course) wearing r,w, & b in the standds at Epcot. Just a thought ... I know we are already going to do that this year. What do you think?

-Paul

Pamela
09-26-2001, 07:54 PM
Those are my teams colors anyways, so we're all set :)

gniticxe
10-01-2001, 09:19 PM
I don't know about this....
Although it would be a great and symbolic tribute, I have grown rather fond of my team's lime green color. Whenever I see it, I think of the team. Plus, then my computer case would not match the team as it does now :D

A. Leese
10-01-2001, 09:36 PM
My team's colors are blue, yellow, and red..so we're close.. :)

~Angela

Clark Gilbert
10-01-2001, 10:26 PM
Don't go off changing your team colors........thats a bad idea.......plus i dont want 500 other teams with the same colors as my team.....
:D

Christina
10-02-2001, 12:56 AM
My team has red and blue and I'm sure white will be thrown in somehow. It worked out well, red and blue is the high school's and my college's colors.

~Christina

David Kelly
10-02-2001, 07:24 AM
our colors are navy blue, columbia blue, silver and maybe white. we can NOT have red as our team color because it's the color of our rival school in the township.

Wayne Doenges
10-02-2001, 10:33 AM
OK, my $.03 (inflation) worth

I'm not too keen on every team wearing red, white and blue. Some of the teams have some real cool colors. Last year our team wore hawaiian shirts.
How about every team member wear a flag on there hat or shirt. This way we can keep our colors but still show our support for the U.S.A.
Also, I think every pit should have an American flag displayed.
What do you all think?

*drops 3 pennies into kitty*

Mike Schroeder
10-04-2001, 04:50 AM
Hey what if it is a BRIGHT colored hawian shirt

Mike Schroeder (Mr. Volcano team mascot

Team 25 Raider Robotix North Brunswick High and Bristol Myers Squibb

Grivooga
10-06-2001, 09:47 AM
108's got dark blue (I'm sure there's a more approprite name for the color) and white. Sneeking a little bit of red in their (the nice jersey's we had in 00 already comply) shouldn't be much of a problem. Though I doubt it'd be much more than a simple stripe.

Adrian Wong
10-06-2001, 11:12 AM
We just got a new logo designed for our team (along with our new name), but if we call the background color a really dark blue, I guess we have red, white, and blue. :)

Carolyn Duncan
10-07-2001, 12:41 AM
Maybe rather than every team trying to change their colors to red, white, and blue we should have some sort of FIRST tribute. Say may be one 1/4" stripe of each color diagonal on our left sleeve. This way we can have all of our usual colors, not let our diversity in tshirts get disturbed by these sub human ppl, and still have a tribute. Waddya think?

Leon Machado IV
10-07-2001, 05:42 PM
I think if we wanted to do something FIRST wide that we should all put a flag on the arm of our uniform. Something like how the military does it. Is anyone interested in this. Thought it would be easier than redesigning everyone's uniforms.

gniticxe
10-07-2001, 07:52 PM
Hey everyone,
I personally think a flag on the sleeve of the team jersey would be a nice idea. But, now that FIRST has grown to be worldwide, this might be a little offensive for some teams. Although I'm almost certain that any international team is sympathetic with the US, they may feel excluded if they choose not to 'sport' the stars and stripes. I don't mean to speak for any of those teams, my team being from Delaware (woohoo!), just wanted to bring it up.

Leon Machado IV
10-07-2001, 08:57 PM
Then maybe we should see if we could get united nations flags. I know they're blue and white but it's the idea that counts.

Eric Tarnowski
10-07-2001, 10:43 PM
As an extremely patriotic American I must express my opinion about the idea of not putting American flags or colors on our shirts and maybe even switching to United Nations colors or flags. I think that it is absurd to not wear American flags or colors just because not everyone is from America. We are not forcing teams to comply with this, it is only an idea. In fact, I encourage any teams from other countries to wear their flags or colors on their shirts. I am proud to be an American, and I am sure they are proud to be citizens of their respective nations. We cannot tippie-toe around and be affraid to show our unity and pride on the basis that it might be offensive. Patriotism is not a crime.

As far as switching to United Nations flags or colors goes, I am totally against it. The United Nations is not a country or government, it is an organization of member states...individual member states. On top of that, countries such as Afghanistan (the country harboring Bin Ladin and his terrorist network), Sudan, Iran, and Iraq--countries on America's list of countries that support terrorism--are members of the United Nations. To wear a UN flag on our shirts would not achieve the goal of the entire idea, the idea that we are united behind OUR country.

As of today, the United States of America is involved in a military conflict with some of those who support terrorism. American men and women are putting their lives on the line half way around the world to protect all of us from the dangers that became so brutally apparent on September 11. We should not be ashamed to show them that we appreciate what they are doing or at least that we sympathise with those directly affected by the attacks. We must stand proud and united behind our country and the liberty and justice it represents.

Eric

Matt Leese
10-07-2001, 10:51 PM
As far as Afghanistan being a member of the UN, it is. However, the seat at the UN belongs to the Northern Alliance. The only country to still recognize the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan is Pakistan. The UN, along with all other countries, does not recognize the Taliban as the legitimate government and therefore they cannot hold the seat at the UN (not that that says much, Taiwan held the Chinese seat for many year before the mainland was able to become recognized and regain the seat).

Matt

Eric Tarnowski
10-07-2001, 11:04 PM
Thank you for clearifying the Afghanistan situation in the UN.

Also, I think I need to clearify what I was trying to say above. I have no problem with the United Nations or its enclusion in its membership countries with views often contrary with those of the United States, for this is the entire point of the organization. However, at a time of national crisis like this, it is important that we come together as a nation, not as a member of the UN. By wearing the flag of an organization that contains in its membership opposed to the United States stance in response to the tragedy, we do not achieve this goal.

I am sorry if this was not clear above.

Eric

Leon Machado IV
10-09-2001, 01:24 AM
Maybe someone could create a patch that incorporated all the nations flags that participate in FIRST along with the FIRST logo. (Kinda a united in FIRST thing). Just a thought.

Tonya Scott 476
10-09-2001, 10:59 AM
We are going to be red this year.
We had patches made last year for all the Oklahoma robotics teams and wore them on our shirts.
Wouldn't it be cool if everyone had a FIRST patch with the flag on it with a short patriotic quote or message.

Tonya Scott 476
10-09-2001, 11:12 AM
The person that ordered our patches last year can get a large supply of patches-enough for all the teams--given plenty of time. (like starting now)
I would be willing to help start this process. 1. post designs that are submitted 2. gather votes on design 3. gather orders from all teams interested 4. get each team an account to purchase patches 5. place orders

Is anyone interested? This also might be something that should be handled thru FIRST.

Any suggestions?

I really think it appropriate to do something though. It seems everyone wants to show their pride and respect.

It would be a loss though, if teams weren't as colorful as usual (face it--I would miss MOE lime green)

Clark Gilbert
10-09-2001, 07:39 PM
Here is the 'CHEAP' picture......it give an idea about what i'm thinking of.....although the shapes are not linked together someone who is really good could make a really cool design with this idea......

http://technokat45.freewebspace.com/images/firstflag.jpg

:)

Brandon Martus
10-10-2001, 12:02 AM
Robby O comes to my mind first when thinking about quality FIRST-related graphics...

Jeff Waegelin
10-10-2001, 04:45 PM
Check out this quality graphic I made. Idea for a FIRST shirt patch, perhaps? Let me know what you think.

Carolyn Duncan
10-10-2001, 10:24 PM
I think Robby O needs to be contacted about designs, good call Brandon, even though I haven't heard anything about our bumper stickers lately. I also think that just having something simple would be better, rather than having really fancy patches. I also agree with the idea of the internationl teams feeling odd, I would be willing to wear stripes the colors of their flags along with my red, white, and blue (I have diagonal stripes that I will have on my left sleeve. As far as I know there are teams in Brazil and Canada, are there any more? I can split the red and white of Canada's flag and our colors with the Brazilian colors.

whsrt_lilguppy
10-11-2001, 01:08 AM
perhaps instead of changing our team colors, we could add little american flags or red, white, and blue stripes on our robots and/or team shirts

Madison
10-11-2001, 09:53 AM
I'm brainstorming now . . . if I come up with anything nice, I'll share it.

But, everyone, please remember, if you're going to play with the FIRST logo, we need to be sure to get permission to do that before we make anything from it.

I'm sure FIRST wouldn't mind in the least, but it's still courteous to respect their property and ask permission.

Jeff Waegelin
10-11-2001, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I know. The design I made was just an idea. If I were to decide to make something with it, I would be sure to consult FIRST before using their logo.

Carolyn Duncan
10-11-2001, 10:53 PM
Well, the FIRST logo is already red, white, and blue so why not just use it, unchanged. This way the non American teams are not chosing whether to wear our flag or not. We could get patches and wear 'em. They wouldn't be flags but it would have the colors we're looking for. Besides, I think most people will have flags on their hats, hair bows, etc. Heck, I wouldn't be suprised if a Dr. Marten American flag shoe came out to match the Brit flag that's been out forever. Let's get our bumper sticker out and see how that goes, then tackle patches or whatever we come up with.

Mike Norton
10-12-2001, 04:33 PM
before you start putting flags everywhere. Read on how to display a flag.

Do what hockey has done. they have used the ribbon look.

just my two cents:)

Carolyn Duncan
10-13-2001, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Mike Norton
before you start putting flags everywhere. Read on how to display a flag.

Do what hockey has done. they have used the ribbon look.

just my two cents:)
I couldn't agree more. I like ribbons/stripes, they are simple and say so much more than a flag.