PDA

View Full Version : New Control System - Wireless Problems

Ashwin
11-26-2008, 08:01 PM
When running the benchtest to confirm the wireless, we hooked up everything according to the manual, section 5.6 (rev .3). After setting up everything as specified, we tried to connect to the IP through the laptop, but we were unable to access the wireless router through the driver's station. When we connected the laptop directly to the WRT610N Wireless Router, we were able to run through the configuration status, however, when we tried to configure the WRT600N, we were unable to connect through the IP specified. We made sure our connections were correct, and our laptop is set up as specified. Any idea how to continue from here?

IndySam
11-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Did you connect to the WRT600N and configure it before you changed the IP on your computer?

If you have configured all the IP address as per the instructions then the problem is probably with the security settings.

Set up the passphrase on both the router and game adapter or disable the wireless security. They left that part out of the manual.

cooker52
11-26-2008, 08:41 PM
We (1501) had the same trouble, our wireless wouldn't work. When we ran through the manual 5 times, it still didn't work. What we found out is that the manual tells you to set the IP address of your computer to be the same as the WRT600N. If you look at one of the diagrams earlier in Chapter 5, it shows the setup of the devices with the IP addresses, and the PC IP Address is supposed to be 10.xx.yy.6, not 10.xx.yy.1. Once we did that, it worked just fine, as far as I know (I got a call once it was working).

Good luck

Travis Hoffman
11-26-2008, 09:02 PM
We (1501) had the same trouble, our wireless wouldn't work. When we ran through the manual 5 times, it still didn't work. What we found out is that the manual tells you to set the IP address of your computer to be the same as the WRT600N. If you look at one of the diagrams earlier in Chapter 5, it shows the setup of the devices with the IP addresses, and the PC IP Address is supposed to be 10.xx.yy.6, not 10.xx.yy.1. Once we did that, it worked just fine, as far as I know (I got a call once it was working).

Good luck

This and other noted documentation errors here and there underscore the need for FIRST to release typo-corrected documentation on their site ASAP. Even the most basic typo can lead to hours of delay and frustration for teams who are already on a compressed learning schedule as it is.

cooker52
11-26-2008, 09:04 PM
This and other noted documentation errors here and there underscore the need for FIRST to release typo-corrected documentation on their site ASAP. Even the most basic typo can lead to hours of delay and frustration for teams who are already on a compressed learning schedule as it is.

Makes me glad that they sent out a lot of the systems out before kick-off. It'll definitely make the build season easier. Plus it should help the beta teams out by lightening the load on their shoulders.

trilogy2826
11-26-2008, 10:17 PM
The other main issue with wireless our team had was with the security settings. In Chap 5 of the control system manual, they do not tell you to either enable security in the WGA or disable it in the WRT. Out of the box and following the manual does not have the security settings matched. If you can ping all of the devices individually when they are connected with cables, but cannot ping the WGA when it is disconnected from the WRT, then that is the clue that the security settings are not correct. You can either disable security on the WRT, or enable the matching security protocol on the WGA (make sure you get the encryption key, AKA SSID key, from the WRT). Also, make sure that you cycle the power to the DS, WRT and WGA, the WRT and WGA; reboots do not get the job done. I tested this many ways with the security configs and they only work when they are matched. Now the interesting question is (besides did we do something stupid and are the only ones with this issue?) is that which security setting is correct (WPA2 or disabled, depending on the defaults)? Mama told me never to leave an access point open, so my bet is on WPA2.

jaustin
12-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Hi everyone! It appears we are a little behind everyone else, but I thought I would post this. We have gotten through the entire benchtop test except the wireless portion. We have hooked it all up per the manual but nothing happens in teleop mode when we are un-tethered. I'm ready to do all the firm ware updates but I've been warned so many times to not do any updates untill we have completed the entire benchtop test suite that I am a bit gun shy of moving on right now. Has anyone had similar problems or have any advice? Can we go ahead and put in the firm ware updates? Thanks!!

Jeff Austin
Mentor
Team 2930

Mark McLeod
12-08-2008, 09:49 AM
The wireless setup (1.6.6) comes after the firmware upgrade (1.6.5), so you're safe to proceed.

galewind
12-10-2008, 06:54 PM
do you think that we'll be using our own routers during the competition? If not, will there be standards for what is and isn't allowed for encryption at the event?

Mark McLeod
12-10-2008, 10:38 PM
We won't be using our routers at the event.
The competition port handles all the communication just as in year's past.
The DS will be powered through that as well.

galewind
12-10-2008, 11:33 PM
if we set our wireless bridges to authenticate with security on our routher, though, isn't that going to cause an issue when it tries to authenticate at the competition via a different means of communication?

Steigerwald
12-11-2008, 12:51 AM
There is no need for security. So there will be no problem. I think the reason they had us all set up IPs standard was so that there would be no problem. I don't think that they will make us use a separate router cause that would require 3 plugs to be plugged into the driver station then. The DB-9 port, a RJ-45 port and a power connection. I would guess that they will have us keep the router and use it. Otherwise, why buy the most expensive router that linksys makes???

galewind
12-11-2008, 10:36 AM
if a team uses no wireless security and leaves their passwords as default on their wireless devices, what's to stop someone else from going in and changing passwords and wireless configuration settings from underneath of them, causing unnecessary stress on these teams? What do we have to prevent teams that don't exhibit gracious professionalism from doing nasty things with readily-available and commonly-accepted devices over a universally-used transmission protocol?

Am I misunderstanding this? Am I over-paranoid? Is this something that has been thought-through and just not shared with us yet?

EricVanWyk
12-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Is this something that has been thought-through and just not shared with us yet?

Yes.

Security is very important during competition. Usability is very important always. Therefore, you have an unsecured but easy to use system that will be locked down when it needs to be.