PDA

View Full Version : Enviornmental impact of the new system

AdamHeard
12-02-2008, 06:00 PM
A while ago it was announced to is that the reasoning behind only receiving one control system that is to be reused was to reduce the environmental impact (as said on Bill's Blog (http://frcdirector.blogspot.com/2008/09/more-information-on-new-control-system.html)).

Looking at the new system, I can understand why it was packaged in a large box, that was necessary. I can understand why the joysticks have lots of packaging, FIRST doesn't control logitech.

But why does the Jaguar need to come in a gigantic box? The one item we are most likely to be ordering repeats of year to year, and it has the most superfluous packaging. If the environmental impact was important FIRST, why didn't they ask Luminary Micro to use less, or no, packaging.

I'm confused here, as something really contradicts.

DonRotolo
12-02-2008, 10:11 PM
I am confused. Our four Jaguars came in black cardboard boxes just a little larger than the Jaguars inside - so small that the Jaguar won't fit 'sideways', only one way works. The cardboard is recycled material (and recyclable). OK, the stickers (one on the outside, one freebie inside :cool: ) and black paper covering may be a little bit over, but I really just don't see the excesses here.

What am I missing??

mcf747
12-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I am confused. Our four Jaguars came in black cardboard boxes just a little larger than the Jaguars inside - so small that the Jaguar won't fit 'sideways', only one way works. The cardboard is recycled material (and recyclable). OK, the stickers (one on the outside, one freebie inside :cool: ) and black paper covering may be a little bit over, but I really just don't see the excesses here.

What am I missing??

I agree with Don here. I do not see very much waiste in the Jaguar packaging.

Matthew Forman
MorTorq 1515

Mr. Freeman
12-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't see much excess packaging here either, just a small, black, cardboard box.

AdamHeard
12-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I didn't think of cardboard being easily recyclable, I thought a simple plastic bag would suffice.... but with most plastics being harder to recycle, I suppose I was wrong.

Mark McLeod
12-03-2008, 04:57 PM
They are in plastic bags inside the cardboard box, so we could be rid of those.
For now at least recycle them to hold and group small parts. :)