PDA

View Full Version : USB Steering wheels

AdamHeard
12-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Have any teams tested any USB steering wheels and know they work with the Driver Station?

R.C.
12-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Poofs, RAWC?????

AdamHeard
12-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Poofs, RAWC?????

Are you referring to previous years? I'm wondering about the new control system.

I know we can wire one into the analog port, but It'd be nice if there was a usb one that worked off the shelf. Apparently not all USB devices are supported, so I don't just want to assume.

R.C.
12-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Are you referring to previous years? I'm wondering about the new control system.

I know we can wire one into the analog port, but It'd be nice if there was a usb one that worked off the shelf. Apparently not all USB devices are supported, so I don't just want to assume.

They have been using it for the past years, so they might of tried getting it ready for this season. They were one of the beta testers.

Cory
12-07-2008, 01:46 AM
They have been using it for the past years, so they might of tried getting it ready for this season. They were one of the beta testers.

254 and 968 have never used a USB steering wheel. We have a custom setup using a pot wired through the analog inputs.

We have tested this with the new controller and it works fine.

whitetiger0990
12-07-2008, 02:20 AM
I'd assume a USB steering wheel would work fine since it is just like a joystick in that it uses potentiometers and buttons.. just organized differently. As long as it's USB HID (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_human_interface_device_class). I'm fairly confident that all USB HID devices will work.. that's the beauty of standards. (The other beauty is that there are so many to choose from ;-) ) We have a USB steering wheel but haven't hand the chance to see if it works.

AdamHeard
12-07-2008, 05:09 PM
I was told at a workshop that not all USB controllers are supported (like the xbox controller for example).

I would appreciate if someone who has tested one replies, otherwise please don't, as speculation that it does or doesn't work does not help.

whitetiger0990
12-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I was told at a workshop that not all USB controllers are supported (like the xbox controller for example).

I would appreciate if someone who has tested one replies, otherwise please don't, as speculation that it does or doesn't work does not help.

The original xbox controller requires drivers. The 360 controller is HID compliant and I see no reason for it not to work (someone verify).

I have this topic bookmarked. I'll see if the joystick we have works on Tuesday and will post.

Cory
12-07-2008, 09:01 PM
The original xbox controller requires drivers. The 360 controller is HID compliant and I see no reason for it not to work (someone verify).

I have this topic bookmarked. I'll see if the joystick we have works on Tuesday and will post.

The 360 controller does not work with the new controller. This has been confirmed during the beta test.

R.C.
12-07-2008, 09:04 PM
The 360 controller does not work with the new controller. This has been confirmed during the beta test.

But can it be made to work with the new controller? Just wondering, I do love xbox. lol.

Cory
12-07-2008, 09:13 PM
But can it be made to work with the new controller? Just wondering, I do love xbox. lol.

I'm not sure. my understanding is that as of right now, no. It would need separate drivers which teams cannot update. This would be a revision NI/FIRST would have to make.

R.C.
12-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure. my understanding is that as of right now, no. It would need separate drivers which teams cannot update. This would be a revision NI/FIRST would have to make.

Thanks Cory for the info, i guess the joystick will have to do:(