PDA

View Full Version : VEXplorer on Woot!

fatjoe3833
12-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Today www.woot.com is featuring the VEXplorer RC Robotic Construction System for $79.99 plus $5.00 shipping. I believe that this is the same kit that sells on the vexrobotics site for $200.

Nawaid Ladak
12-15-2008, 01:02 AM
I actually saw this and was going to post it...but i didn't know where to post it

hopefully by 5PM tonight, if it's not sold out yet, i'll buy one once my paycheck clears the Bank :D

(I Remember when the older models were at RadioShack at discount for $150, I didn't have a job then so i couldn't get one)

def in for 1

DCA Fan
12-15-2008, 03:20 AM
Saw it, very tempted to get it.

Chris_Elston
12-15-2008, 05:48 AM
Can the explorer kit be programmed like the original kit in C?

Billfred
12-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Can the explorer kit be programmed like the original kit in C?Negative; Vexplorer's controller is RC-only. (Well, in stock form at least; I'm sure someone's come up with some crazy technique involving third-party stuff.)

Alex Cormier
12-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Very interesting, on site for $200, on woot for $80. Makes you wonder how much profit they were making when it was selling for $200. Good thing I got one for free. :)

neshera
12-15-2008, 10:19 AM
My question: can any of the parts (especially the motors) be used in programmble (i.e. competition level) VEX bots? And if so, is this a good way to pick up some spare parts cheap?
Thanks!

Tristan Lall
12-15-2008, 11:04 AM
My question: can any of the parts (especially the motors) be used in programmble (i.e. competition level) VEX bots? And if so, is this a good way to pick up some spare parts cheap?
Thanks!In the current VRC, mechanical Vexplorer parts are allowed, but electrical ones are not. (Therefore, no Vexplorer motors can be used.)

gblake
12-15-2008, 11:16 AM
In the current VRC, mechanical Vexplorer parts are allowed, but electrical ones are not. (Therefore, no Vexplorer motors can be used.)Good mechanical parts in this kit that you don't get in the non-Vexplorer startup kits are the nice (powder-coated?) structural metal (some in nicely bent shapes), the plastic parts used on the chassis to make it look "sleek", the six wide, grippy wheels, the gears/axles/collars/etc., and the claw assembly.

It's all good stuff, and yes, all the non-electrical parts are useable in VRC.

When I had the chance to buy some Vexplorers from Amazon for $60, I snapped up 4, and later wanted a few more. I gave one to the team I coach, bought one for a team in Maryland, bought one for a father who used it for a Christmas gift, and sold the final one to someone I can't remember.

It's a fun little machine (that isn't a dead end and is a source of parts for VRC). For $60 the price is definitely right.

ericand
12-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Note that the deal is better if you buy more than one, since the shipping is $5 for your order (and you can order up to 3 at a time).

5 for shipping for 1 or 3.

Booksy
12-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Times like this make me like Canada slightly less (for a second or two:p)

Nawaid Ladak
12-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Good mechanical parts in this kit that you don't get in the non-Vexplorer startup kits are the nice (powder-coated?) structural metal (some in nicely bent shapes), the plastic parts used on the chassis to make it look "sleek", the six wide, grippy wheels, the gears/axles/collars/etc., and the claw assembly.

It's all good stuff, and yes, all the non-electrical parts are useable in VRC.

When I had the chance to buy some Vexplorers from Amazon for $60, I snapped up 4, and later wanted a few more. I gave one to the team I coach, bought one for a team in Maryland, bought one for a father who used it for a Christmas gift, and sold the final one to someone I can't remember.

It's a fun little machine (that isn't a dead end and is a source of parts for VRC). For $60 the price is definitely right.

if these were for $60 at one point... then i wouldn't be surprised if Woot will have these at a cheaper price point sooner or later, say during a wootoff?

Andrew Bates
12-15-2008, 07:20 PM
The $60 price was a mistake if I remember correctly. Amazon promptly corrected it but not before many people had taken advantage of the price.

Elgin Clock
12-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Times like this make me like Canada slightly less (for a second or two:p)

No woot in Canada, or some other reason I'm missing? :confused:

Kyle Love
02-08-2009, 12:01 AM
It's up again on Woot.com. I'm tempted once again to buy one...:confused:

Elgin Clock
02-08-2009, 12:05 AM
It's up again on Woot.com. I'm tempted once again to buy one...:confused:

Way to beat me to posting this!! lol
I also am tempted.. again...

Must be the devil that is tempting me to NOT buy one.. HA!
I love the description on today's woot.

Who doesn’t like robots? We’ll tell you who: the devil. And not that cool devil you hear about from rock stars. The devil who makes you do your homework and won’t give you ice cream.