PDA

View Full Version : Laptop not finding router

popo308
01-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Hello, We are have some connection issues with the laptop and the wireless router... here is whats going on.

The laptop we are using can not connect to the wireless router.

We have the laptop set to 10.16.25.6 with a subnet of 255.0.0.0 and a default gateway of 10.16.25.4

The router's ip is set to 10.16.25.4

When we plug into the router through the DS we cannot connect to it...
The same problem occurs when we direct connect between the PC and router.

We have tried resetting the router and the PC finds it with DHCP and the router ip set to default (192.168.1.1)

As soon as we follow the instructions in the manual and reconfigure it "correctly" it cannot find it anymore!

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

lynca
01-07-2009, 02:33 PM
We have the laptop set to 10.16.25.6 with a subnet of 255.0.0.0 and a default gateway of 10.16.25.4

The router's ip is set to 10.16.25.4

When we plug into the router through the DS we cannot connect to it...
The same problem occurs when we direct connect between the PC and router.

In windows go to --- Start->Run->Type "cmd"

Type one of these commands to quickly diagnose your configuration
"ipconfig" - shows what IP address your wireless & wired connection has
"ping 10.16.25.4" - pings your router or DS depending on what IP you type in

After you have done those, what does your ipconfig say for wireless & wired address ?

Can you ping the DS, router ?

Kingofl337
01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I believe the problem you are having is your router is configured for 5-GHz N settings. Most laptops don't have a draft N compatible network card. So you need to configure it for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz operation. Also, known as G and N.

usbcd36
01-07-2009, 11:37 PM
The setup guide for the control system says to disable 2.4 GHz connections. I would try connecting a patch cable directly between the laptop and the router (without the DS between them). This should be equivalent to what we did, which was to use my laptop (which does have a wireless N card) to connect directly to the router.

popo308
01-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Can you ping the DS, router ?
We tried pinging it with no success....
I believe the problem you are having is your router is configured for 5-GHz N settings. Most laptops don't have a draft N compatible network card. So you need to configure it for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz operation. Also, known as G and N.
Hrm... i will try this but it shouldn't matter if its on 2.4 of 5GHz... im using LAN also my laptop does have an N card so that shouldn't be a problem...

I may just try to reset the whole system again and re configure all the settings.
With my luck i missed one dialog box and messed the whole thing up!

Thanks for the help guys

Honis
01-16-2009, 01:40 AM
Since the router has DHCP active, set your labtop to acquire its IP automatically. Wire directly to the router. Do this after all of the FIRST instructions.

If you followed all of the other directions and you are the only computer attached to the router, you should be IP 10.xx.yy.10. Now connect the labtop to the ETH2 on the DS and ETH1 to the router. Everything should be golden from here.

I wish they would tell you to auto acquire in the instructions, but they don't. I've configured 2 labtops this way and both do fine.

Alan Anderson
01-16-2009, 02:02 PM
I wish they would tell you to auto acquire in the instructions, but they don't. I've configured 2 labtops this way and both do fine.

Doing this will work okay until you try to view Dashboard information. The robot will try to communicate with the device at 10.x.y.6 only, and if you haven't set your computer to have that as a static IP address the Dashboard communication will fail.

DHCP will also not give you the expected results in a competition environment, as the field's router does not know what team number your laptop is supposed to be associated with.

mgurgol
01-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Is there a way to tell the Dashboard to send the data to another PC. It would be nice to have more than one Dashboard running during testing, with one group following the camera, and another monitoring the motors, sensors etc?