PDA

View Full Version : Advice regarding travel in New Hampshire

Leav
01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi,

I'm attending the FTA training at FIRST HQ (Manchester, NH) this year and I'm arriving a bit early (morning of 5th, training starts on 7th).

I was looking forward to spending my time on the mountains of NH, and I have been suggested the following ski resorts: Waterville Valley, Loon Mountain, Pat's Peak and Cannon.

The problem is that I do not know if there is any way of reaching these places from Manchester.

I am 20, so I can not yet rent a car (all the companies I have checked have the minimum at 21), and am completely in the dark regarding other options.

So any New-Hampshireites around here care to offer some advice?

I understand Pat's peak is closest at about 40 minutes from Manchester, but I'm unable to find any shuttles or buses that go there and back.

Is it possible? only you know! please help! :p

(thanks... :o )
-Leav

Eric Finn
01-26-2009, 08:47 PM
I haven't heard of any ski transportation services being advertised and I couldn't find anything using Google. Your best shot may be trying to carpool with other people going to the same place. Ask the other people at the FTA training if they're planning on going to ski somewhere and if you can get a ride with them.

Ken Streeter
01-26-2009, 11:05 PM
I was looking forward to spending my time on the mountains of NH, and I have been suggested the following ski resorts: Waterville Valley, Loon Mountain, Pat's Peak and Cannon.

The problem is that I do not know if there is any way of reaching these places from Manchester....

I understand Pat's peak is closest at about 40 minutes from Manchester, but I'm unable to find any shuttles or buses that go there and back.

Another mountain that I'd suggest is "Crotched Mountain" in Bennington, NH. ( http://www.crotchedmountain.com ) It's a relatively small mountain (about 900' vertical drop; approx the same size as Pat's Peak) but has good snow due to excellent snowmaking. Depending upon your jet lag, you may find their Friday / Saturday "Midnight Madness" skiing (until 3am) to match daytime hours back home in Israel! They are about 45 minutes from Manchester. I am a ski patroller on Crotched Mountain and will be there during the day on Friday, Feb 6.

I am not aware of transportation to the above locations on Thursday or Friday. There are regular "ski buses" that travel to various destinations on Wednesday or Saturdays from "Ski Market" locations. However, the "Ski Market" in Manchester, NH closed last summer.

I'd suggest sending an email to the folks at Ken Jones Ski Mart in Manchester, NH ( http://www.kenjonesskimart.com/index.asp ) -- they may still organize various bus trips, and will likely have information about how you might be able to get to one of the bigger mountains in NH (e.g. Loon, Cannon, Waterville Valley)

artdutra04
01-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Are there any Zip Car (http://www.zipcar.com/) locations in Manchester, NH?

At some of their locations, you can rent them if you are under 21 and have more or less a flawless record.