PDA

View Full Version : Banebots Gearbox

team691
02-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Our team was planning on using a multistage conveyor belt system on our robot to bring up to our shooter. The purpose of the multistage (horizontal, curve up, vertical) is to allow storage in these separate belts. These would be around 16-17 inches in length and we are debating on what motor to power the 2" rollers. Would several 100:1 reduction 36mm Planetary Gearmotor RS-545 Motor work well for the job? We would like to have a good amount of torque without sacrificing too much rpm. The link for the motors is shown below.

http://banebots.com/pc/MP-36XXX-545/MP-36100-545

Feedback is strongly encouraged!

Jared Russell
02-02-2009, 03:52 PM
We have some of these gearboxes in the shop and they do a great job. 100:1 reduction from an RS-545 driving a 2" pulley will give you a conveyor speed of about 14.5"/sec at peak efficiency. Just make sure to avoid axial loads on the gearbox output shaft.

You can probably get away with even more speed/less torque. For example, my team is using a 2.67:1 reduction of the CIM with 2" pulley (about 120 ozf-in of torque at maximum efficiency) and the belt has much, much more than enough power to move the balls. The 100:1 gearbox you are using gives you 540 ozf-in of torque at max. efficiency, for reference.

RyanCahoon
02-02-2009, 06:59 PM
As long as they are used under fairly light loads, these gearboxes work fine. Teams have had bad experiences with such small, yet high reduction, gearboxes under high torque stall circumstances in the past, so make sure this is not the case on your 'bot. Using them for rollers shouldn't be a problem.

However, note that clicking the "Add To Basket" leads to a page saying they are out of stock, so you might need a different solution.

--Ryan

team691
02-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Man... I didn't notice they were out of stock. But we do have some laying around in our build garage. How about Fisher Price motors? Would those work fine on the rollers? Can anyone suggest any light weight motor that would be good for the rollers/conveyor?

MrForbes
02-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Would several 100:1 reduction 36mm Planetary Gearmotor RS-545 Motor work well for the job?

Several would probably work well, but you are only allowed to use the two RS545 motors that came in the kit!

Rohan J
02-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Our team is using a conveyor belt that is approximately four feet in length. We are using Fisher Price motor with the bane bots 16:1 Transmissions. We are driving our belt with 3.5" pulleys. This puts the surface speed of our belts at approximately 177.5in/sec with no load. we have gotten pretty good results so far and the FP's are holding out beautifully. I'd say you should go with the FP's because they can provide a lot more torque than the 545's. We have blown out 545's in the past. I should also mention that we used TWO FP's to drive our belt. Good Luck!