PDA

View Full Version : 2423 The KwarQs Picture #2

AmoryG
02-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Here's a picture that does our drivetrain and chassis justice:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/img/4ca/4ca2c94777cb97c34914d20e59fb22d2_l.jpg

By far the best part of our robot. It's a crab drive, very fast (for this competition I think) and maneuverable, and very heavy. What do you guys think?

s()n_of_@_g.U.n
02-22-2009, 11:02 AM
It looks pretty good. Plus, the extra weight should give you good traction on the Regolith floor. But I think you should put on some mesh or something to protect your parts from the ball. Also, it kinda looks like its a leaning a bit.

AmoryG
02-22-2009, 01:17 PM
It looks pretty good. Plus, the extra weight should give you good traction on the Regolith floor. But I think you should put on some mesh or something to protect your parts from the ball. Also, it kinda looks like its a leaning a bit.

Thanks. I think we were planning on covering up the top part of our bot (we took out the electronics before the ship date so we can do some further testing). Also, what do you mean by leaning?

ComradeNikolai
02-22-2009, 01:46 PM

I contend that the weight difference will make no difference in traction acceleration.

EDIT: True, acceleration is different from traction. However, "good traction" implies an added benefit and, other than if one gets into a pushing match, traction is irrelevant since all the wheels are driven. That having been said, touche.

Oh, and sweet robot. I like the construction of the chassis (for what that's worth coming from a programmer).

Vikesrock
02-22-2009, 04:25 PM
I contend that the weight difference will make no difference in traction.

This is not true. An increase in weight causes an increase in normal force, which directly leads to an increase in traction. Increased weight will not lead to increased acceleration however, as mass cancels in the equation for acceleration in a traction limited environment.

Basically, any robot with all wheels driven and no additional thrust mechanisms (props) should have the same maximum acceleration rate. The advantage to a heavier robot will be in a collision/pushing match.

Akash Rastogi
02-22-2009, 05:27 PM
The welding job on that frame is outstanding. Props to your welder. Very nice swerve.

AmoryG
02-22-2009, 05:53 PM
The welding job on that frame is outstanding. Props to your welder. Very nice swerve.

Thanks. :) Our welding was actually done mostly by I think a bicycle manufacturer called seven cycles. They did our welding last year to. We're very fortunate to have them.

budly99
02-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Can you work on the electronics after shipping instead of shipping them?

R.C.
02-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Can you work on the electronics after shipping instead of shipping them?

Yes, you have a 40 lb withholding allowance.

Robot-pineapple
02-22-2009, 07:13 PM
We aren't really working on our electronics so much as testing programs on the cRIO, but yes, you don't have to ship your electronics.