PDA

View Full Version : Great Team Rivalries

InfernoX14
04-18-2009, 05:49 PM
In every competitive sport there are rivalries. We've all been a part of them and they are recognized by a strong history of the two teams involved and their enthusiasm in the way the play the opposing team.

These 2009 Championship Finals on Einstein made me realize something: HOT and the Thunder Chickens have what you could call a strong rivalry.

In 2005, HOT beat the Thunder Chickens on Einstein. In 2008, the Thunder Chickens returned the favor and defeated HOT in the finals. Now, we just watched HOT overcome the Thunder Chickens. If I'm not mistaken, no pair of teams have competed against each other on Einstein as much as these two teams.

What other great FIRST rivalries exist? This could be on the regional level, as well.

sgreco
04-18-2009, 05:57 PM
I just have to say, 217 and 67 can show just how great first is. They seem to always be playing each other on Einstein, but despite a rivalry, they worked together to win 3 official events in Michigan. FIRST is awesome for this great example of coopetition and gracious professionalism. I'm sure there are many other examples of this as well.

EricH
04-18-2009, 06:04 PM
294 and 330 have one in SoCal... They have yet to pair up in elims, but tend to face each other quite a bit. One or the other often wins the event.

'Course, 330 also has 980 and 1717 as "rivals". Any two of the three pairing up tends to make life miserable for everyone else; if they aren't paired up, it's exciting. All three teaming up, see 2008 L.A. eliminations.

However, all the "rivalries" in FIRST are quite friendly. It's quite common for rivals to pair up in eliminations, or to help each other out a lot. Not like some pro sports rivalries (Red Sox-Yankees, anyone?).

Uberbots
04-18-2009, 06:08 PM
I think the oblivious observer would think that FIRST is a sport of many rivalries, but what they are forgetting is the backbone of gracious professionalism that supports this organization. as erich said, the rivalries that do exist are friendly ones.

i remember on my team certain people used to say we were rivals with various teams, but they weren't the ones interacting with them in the pits and on the field.

Steven Sigley
04-18-2009, 06:11 PM
I'd say we have a friendly rivalry with the Fembots. (692)

Whether we're competing at their scrimmage, Davis, or Cal Games, we always seem to have good matches with them.

That and our team members love hanging out with each other at the competitions.

InfernoX14
04-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Yes, most rivalries are of the friendly variety, HOT and the Thunder Chickens did win quite a few competitions with each other, so it's not a pure "we face each other all the time in the most competitive fashion".

DiehardCybercard
04-18-2009, 07:13 PM
it is not a rivalry because of anything with first its a rivalry with because of schools.
1529 (southport "cybercards") and 234 (perry "cyberblue") are not but a 5 minutes drive from each other.

sometimes it seems that we have a rivalry with 234 just because we are sister schools. our football teams are rivals, our basketball teams are rivals... and both schools make big deals out of PERRY VS. SOUTHPORT football games.

haha so when we go to boilermaker every year its like... "alright guys we gotta beat perry !" haha

it is a dumb and goofy rivalry that i think is there just because. hopefully we can start helping each other out and not do this silly rivalry thing.

ttldomination
04-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I don't want to be all like...polar...but the GA teams seem to have somewhat of a rivalry with the carolina teams.

A great example was the border wars. It was 3 GA teams vs. 3 Carolina teams. We don't hate each other, we just find it fun to team up and battle it out.

FYI the teams were 1261, 1771, and 1746 vs. 343, 342, and 1319.

All 6 robots attended both P'tree and Palmetto Regionals.

Tetraman
04-18-2009, 07:58 PM
I think most teams have teams they consider rivals, yet they don't tell that rival they are.

As was said before, FIRST rivalries are always fun, silly and goofy and it's not like other sport rivals.

Billfred
04-18-2009, 08:42 PM
1618 and 1398 have a natural rivalry, as the two schools are rivals in other things (and we've never done business with each other, only the occasional qualifying match against them).

I'll also note that 217 vs. 67 also has the traditional Ford-GM rivalry, though not manifested as much as it might in other competitions.

ttldomination
04-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Having School Rivalries has not influenced who we do business with.

For example, Peachtree Ridge High School (1261) and North Gwinnett High School(1771) have the largest rivalry when it comes to football, or any other activity, but in robotics, we're really close and watch each other's back. (more like 1771 watches our back)

But the love is there. :D.

rsilverstein
04-18-2009, 10:54 PM
'Course, 330 also has 980 and 1717 as "rivals". Any two of the three pairing up tends to make life miserable for everyone else; if they aren't paired up, it's exciting. All three teaming up, see 2008 L.A. eliminations.

I'd definitely say there has been somewhat of a rivalry between 330 and 1717, starting in 2007 when 330 defeated us (1717) in both of the regionals we went to.
Then 2008 in SD we were able to barely beat them out for a close win in the finals.

And finally the teams learned their lesson and paired together in Los Angeles in 2008, not losing a match together.

294 and 330 have one in SoCal... They have yet to pair up in elims, but tend to face each other quite a bit. One or the other often wins the event.

1717 and 294 have been in an alliance together for the past three years now.

flyingcrayons
04-19-2009, 04:16 PM
like everone has said, FIRST rivalries are fun, entertaining, and exciting. One i always look forward to is 11 and 816. Now if you know these teams, this is most definitely not a rivalry with any bad blood, in fact the two teams have been looking to ally with each other forever... they really love each other... ;)

but.... they always manage to be on the opposite side of the field when it comes to elims... they finally managed to pair at philly this year, but at the last two NJ regionals, they have faced each other in the elims, 11 winning '08, 816 winning '09... this is my favorite "rivalry"... especially since the two involved are really good friends on and off the field...

AndyB
04-19-2009, 05:40 PM
I think the 71-111 rivalry is pretty big. There is only a state border between the two and about an hour drive. Both teams call Midwest regional their home and have done so for a long time. Both have won multiple championships and both rarely pair up together in the finals. In fact, the last time they paired up in the eliminations was Midwest 2005-- two weeks after Beatty topped Wildstang at Boilermaker.

This video solidifies it a little: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cvZ_HKrCw

thefro526
04-19-2009, 06:04 PM
like everone has said, FIRST rivalries are fun, entertaining, and exciting. One i always look forward to is 11 and 816. Now if you know these teams, this is most definitely not a rivalry with any bad blood, in fact the two teams have been looking to ally with each other forever... they really love each other... ;)

but.... they always manage to be on the opposite side of the field when it comes to elims... they finally managed to pair at philly this year, but at the last two NJ regionals, they have faced each other in the elims, 11 winning '08, 816 winning '09... this is my favorite "rivalry"... especially since the two involved are really good friends on and off the field...

Haha, this rivalry is true for the most part. We did finally play with MORT in an Qualifier this year and it was amazing. But we have never Eliminated a MORT alliance from an Event. This Year we came Close, Taking the First Quarter Final by nearly a 60 point gap but then we were plagued with a broken partner in the next 2. (Our Record Against MORT in Elims is 1-4). But, we have Never Lost to MORT in a Qualification Match ;)

I <3 MORT

AlexD744
04-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Last years off-season, we played 79 at Mission Mayhem and lost in the Finals, then we met them at Tempest N' Tampa (their own event) and beat them in the fourth match of finals. We were with PINK at Tempest, for that victory. Then at regionals this year we teamed up to be the dream alliance at the florida regional, we were trumped by 179 in the finals, who also had PINK on their aliance. I just did more research and found that at mayhem the last two years and lost to 233 in 07' and 79 in 08' in the finals. I don't think any one realized any of this at the time. Anyway, we're great friends with both teams and are always happy to play with or against them (and have done so many times).

Raumiester2010
04-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Yes, most rivalries are of the friendly variety, HOT and the Thunder Chickens did win quite a few competitions with each other, so it's not a pure "we face each other all the time in the most competitive fashion".

That Sounds a lot like the way Us and HOT act...

StevnIndustries
04-19-2009, 08:29 PM
I'd like to throw out the GA-SC border war again: 1261, 1746, and 1771 (from GA) and 342, 343, and 1319 (from SC). We just recently started invading their home turf and they ours.

This may not be a "legendary" rivalry yet, but give it some time (you see how relatively high some of the team numbers are).

flyingcrayons
04-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Haha, this rivalry is true for the most part. We did finally play with MORT in an Qualifier this year and it was amazing. But we have never Eliminated a MORT alliance from an Event. This Year we came Close, Taking the First Quarter Final by nearly a 60 point gap but then we were plagued with a broken partner in the next 2. (Our Record Against MORT in Elims is 1-4). But, we have Never Lost to MORT in a Qualification Match ;)

I <3 MORT

i agree with that last statement, they're an awesome team...

oh and i made a mistake with that 2009 NJ thing... i guess i should research more thoroughly (sp?) next time... but its an awesome rivalry anyway...

Mike Schreiber
04-19-2009, 09:13 PM
There is a slight rivalry between Truck Town Thunder (68) and Team RUSH (27), because we both have members who attend both Brandon and Clarkston High Schools. In '06 we even did a demonstration together at Clarkston. We always harass eachother (in a friendly way) about how much cooler we are than the other. I'm not sure if the rivalry is seen on the field much though or if the non-Clarkston members of T3 even know about it.