PDA

View Full Version : Clues about 2010 posted yet?

asmo0901
05-07-2009, 01:10 AM
Has anyone seen or heard any clues about 2010 FRC comp. and if not when and where will the clue appear!

Chris is me
05-07-2009, 01:25 AM
I doubt they've even finished designing the game yet ^_^

Trust me, I'm as eager as anyone to find out, but clues usually come around november or december.

NickE
05-07-2009, 01:27 AM
The game hints don't usually start till the fall.

However, soon, dlavery will start an official "You Design the Game" thread in which the GDC takes input from Chief Delphi members on what they want to see in a game.

EricH
05-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Bananas, jello, clowns, water, ice robots.

That's the standard lineup of hints that we may as well get out of the way now.

Go enjoy the summer. It's been what, 3 weeks since Championship and according to Bill, the GDC has met a time or two and is working on something that is understandably top secret, and they haven't gotten our feedback yet (we'll know when they ask for it). Go have fun, do an offseason, and come back in the fall.

Chris is me
05-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Hey, that "Ice Game" for 2009 turned out to be pretty much right. Regolith has the same basic effect...

jspatz1
05-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Whatever the game, you can bet they are going to encourage increased use of the power of the new cRio and vision system. This system was provided to encourage more advanced use of vision, sensor I/O, and programming. I aniticipate an autonomous period, and perhaps even teleop game, that greatly rewards good vision and sensors.

JesseK
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
In next year's game I want to see something fly, or fall. The hints could then be out of this world.

Josh Goodman
05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Usually it comes out in December.....but you never know...

Andrew Schreiber
05-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Yes, search all of dlavery's posts. Every single one of them. Then look at all possible other meanings of the words. By the time you finish this come back and the GDC might have designed the game. :)

Seriously though, when a game hint is officially posted you will know, just look for the rapidly growing game hint threads full of people reposting things said back in post 25 for the next 400 posts.

By the way, Im not mocking you, merely suggesting an activity that might help alleviate your desire for game hints while simultaneously giving you a better grasp on the English language.

smurfgirl
05-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Andrew has it down.

Honestly... enjoy your off-season events, maybe start some new projects with your team. Catch up on sleep. Read about something new. You've got until December to worry about things other than game hints.

JaneYoung
05-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes, search all of dlavery's posts. Every single one of them. Then look at all possible other meanings of the words. By the time you finish this come back and the GDC might have designed the game. :)

Seriously though, when a game hint is officially posted you will know, just look for the rapidly growing game hint threads full of people reposting things said back in post 25 for the next 400 posts.

By the way, Im not mocking you, merely suggesting an activity that might help alleviate your desire for game hints while simultaneously giving you a better grasp on the English language.

Well, actually - if anyone with time on their hands and a love for searches and for reading, were to take you up on this suggestion, they would find themselves paying attention, learning, chuckling, perhaps laughing out loud, and thinking a little differently by the time they had finished. And that would be just one post, much less finding the past hint threads, the you design the game threads, and then reading different posts in various threads that Dave has written.

At the end of the summer and the return to school and the famous, What Did You Do This Summer, essay for English - a well-informed and slightly mischievous writer could craft an excellent paper of interest and delight.

Aidan F. Browne
05-07-2009, 04:00 PM
finnimbrun

EricH
05-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey, Aidan, wasn't that the 2011 hint? :D

Alan Anderson
05-07-2009, 09:36 PM
finnimbrun

Oh no he di'n't. :eek:

bobwrit
05-07-2009, 09:44 PM

I thought that it was the 2012 one....:yikes: ;)

waialua359
05-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Once in a while I get forwarded NASA emails by one of our liasons in Hawaii.
During the beginning of build season, I was looking for a FIRST-related email and typed in "Regolith."
As I was scrolling through it, I saw something dated August 2008!!
It was a discussion of how NASA was using Regolith for one of their projects. :eek:

I should have paid more attention.........and now I certainly will.

Tetraman
05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I got word from a super secret higher up that the 2043 game will be a repeat of Lunacy, only they will implement a floor that doesn't simulate 1/6th gravity, but it actually has 1/6th of earth's gravity.

He also said the 2591 game was going to have alliances of 12 robots.

JaneYoung
05-08-2009, 02:46 PM
He also said the 2591 game was going to have alliances of 12 robots.

It will be a good day when a 'super secret higher up' that is quoted is a she. Then FIRST will have accomplished one of its goals, me-thinks. (Even in a joke.)

Andrew Schreiber
05-08-2009, 03:12 PM
It will be a good day when a 'super secret higher up' that is quoted is a she. Then FIRST will have accomplished one of its goals, me-thinks. (Even in a joke.)

Better yet when we get away from using gender specific pronouns.

EricVanWyk
05-08-2009, 03:26 PM

The real power in FRC is already held by a female - Dean Woodie and Paul are just pretty faces. However, she would never be listed as a "super secret source", as she wouldn't break NDA.

RyanN
05-11-2009, 01:49 AM
No, go back to bed. Enjoy your summer! Don't worry about it until either the end of December when you and your team reorganize for the build season.

Andrew Schreiber
05-11-2009, 07:15 AM
No, go back to bed. Enjoy your summer! Don't worry about it until either the end of December when you and your team reorganize for the build season.

I hope you reorganize before the end of December :)

No really though, good point, don't worry about next years game, worry about how you are going to improve your team and your community.

jpmittins
05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
finnimbrun

Oh no he di'n't. :eek:

I thought that it was the 2012 one....:yikes: ;)

I don't get it; am I missing some sort of old FIRST inside joke?

EricH
05-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't get it; am I missing some sort of old FIRST inside joke?
Several members of the GDC are CD members. Occasionally, they drop clues (or not...or maybe...or not...or yes...or maybe...or not...you get the picture). Aidan is one of said GDC members. As such, anything he says may be a) counted as a hint, b) misinterpreted, twisted, taken out of context, etc., c) be assumed to be a hint, or d) assumed to be a hint for a game that isn't yet planned, and is later than the next year. There are others who have the same sort of stigma.

In this case, Aidan posted "mumbling" in a thread about the 2010 game hint. This promptly started joking speculation about when the hint was for (see d) above). This happens every time something of this sort happens; don't worry, it's normal.

jpmittins
05-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Several members of the GDC are CD members. Occasionally, they drop clues (or not...or maybe...or not...or yes...or maybe...or not...you get the picture). Aidan is one of said GDC members. As such, anything he says may be a) counted as a hint, b) misinterpreted, twisted, taken out of context, etc., c) be assumed to be a hint, or d) assumed to be a hint for a game that isn't yet planned, and is later than the next year. There are others who have the same sort of stigma.

In this case, Aidan posted "mumbling" in a thread about the 2010 game hint. This promptly started joking speculation about when the hint was for (see d) above). This happens every time something of this sort happens; don't worry, it's normal.

Oh, I get it. I figured it was something like that, I just didn't have the specifics. Thanks for that bit of history.

Akash Rastogi
05-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm just sittin back, relaxing, and enjoying the offseason:cool:

Tottanka
05-13-2009, 01:01 AM
I also think there will be minimum need of a human player.
Maybe a new hybrid combo.

jpmittins
05-13-2009, 08:49 PM
I know they're generally not posted for awhile, but how and where to clues come out? Does Dave Laverley (did I spell that right?) post them here, or does FIRST send out official links to their site to all teams where clues can be seen?

bobwrit
05-13-2009, 09:47 PM
They come out december. Thye are released in one of 3 way: a FIRST email, posted on FIRST's site, or they are posted on bill's(http://frcdirector.blogspot.com/) blog.

jpmittins
05-13-2009, 10:40 PM
They come out december. Thye are released in one of 3 way: a FIRST email, posted on FIRST's site, or they are posted on bill's(http://frcdirector.blogspot.com/) blog.

Ah. Thanks for the info.

Andrew Schreiber
05-14-2009, 08:36 AM

This was how it was done for 2009. Who knows what FIRST will do in the future. Maybe next year Dave will send each team a plastic lawn flamingo or a pool noodle (for the water game) Or who knows, maybe FIRST will decide they dont want to give us a clue which we will all assume means that we will be blinded for part of the match (repeat for 20 pages) Point is, what happened this year does NOT mean that it will happen next year.

Alan Anderson
05-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Thye are released in one of 3 way: a FIRST email, posted on FIRST's site, or they are posted on bill's(http://frcdirector.blogspot.com/) blog.

The first 2008 clue (a circuit board) was physically mailed to each team.

Daniel_LaFleur
05-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Maybe next year Dave will send each team a plastic lawn flamingo

Please don't give Mr. Lavery any more ideas :p

Andrew Schreiber
05-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Please don't give Mr. Lavery any more ideas :p

I know he wont send us a flamingo, an ostrich (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sci-spirit12-2009may12,0,3247086.story) on the other hand.

EricH
05-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Dave may also start making random comments about bananas, jello, and similar items. Or post a strange picture. This "hint" is not to be taken seriously.

jpmittins
05-14-2009, 02:31 PM
At my post-season banquet, one of the lead mentors on my team, Charlie Affel Senior, claimed he had clues as to what the game would be next year. He game one of these (http://www.petnutritionproducts.com/images/multipet_nobbly_wobbly_II_large.jpg) to each member of the drive team (except the coach (me) for some reason) saying that they would be used in next year's game. He claimed to have gotten them because he's been involved in FIRST for so long; however, I think this is a bit of b.s. Sure, he's been in FIRST for over half my age, but that doesn't mean he's going to get the game clue in the end of March, before Nationals have even happened, right?

EricH
05-14-2009, 02:43 PM
At my post-season banquet, one of the lead mentors on my team, Charlie Affel Senior, claimed he had clues as to what the game would be next year. He game one of these (http://www.petnutritionproducts.com/images/multipet_nobbly_wobbly_II_large.jpg) to each member of the drive team (except the coach (me) for some reason) saying that they would be used in next year's game. He claimed to have gotten them because he's been involved in FIRST for so long; however, I think this is a bit of b.s. Sure, he's been in FIRST for over half my age, but that doesn't mean he's going to get the game clue in the end of March, before Nationals have even happened, right?
Shenanigans! I'm pretty sure that the GDC hasn't even gotten around to designing this year's field yet.

Nobody knows what the game will be, and nobody tells if they do know. Unless you count confusing riddles, odd pictures, and advance materials lists that come out in December/early January.

The game hint season hasn't even started yet; Dave still has to say "You design the game" and then go into hibernation.

jpmittins
05-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Shenanigans! I'm pretty sure that the GDC hasn't even gotten around to designing this year's field yet.

Nobody knows what the game will be, and nobody tells if they do know. Unless you count confusing riddles, odd pictures, and advance materials lists that come out in December/early January.

The game hint season hasn't even started yet; Dave still has to say "You design the game" and then go into hibernation.

Yeah, I didn't think it was that believable. But those would be some interesting game pieces; they're only a little bigger than a baseball, but have all sorts of weird contours.

bobwrit
05-14-2009, 08:24 PM
This was how it was done for 2009. Who knows what FIRST will do in the future. Maybe next year Dave will send each team a plastic lawn flamingo or a pool noodle (for the water game) Or who knows, maybe FIRST will decide they dont want to give us a clue which we will all assume means that we will be blinded for part of the match (repeat for 20 pages) Point is, what happened this year does NOT mean that it will happen next year.

Yeah, I had ment to place a note that: that was the way they did it this year, and may(read: probaly) not be the way they'll do it next or the subsequent years. I just got lazy and assumed others would make that distinction.

Robert Cawthon
05-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Dave may also start making random comments about bananas, jello, and similar items. Or post a strange picture. This "hint" is not to be taken seriously.

Au, contrare. It is to be taken seriously, kind of. It is not, however, meant to be understood.

Shelabot
05-19-2009, 07:54 PM
He he he. It is true. These hints given out are for the purpose of amusement to all, more than and actual "Hint".

I believe we can scratch out a few options next year's game can take... deduct what is to come if you will?

~They will not use non-friction surface again... (They did that this year, to mostly negative afterthought)

~They will most likely take off the expansion bann (Just my guess...)

~Perhaps they will make something related to a subject more... Earthly? (After such a far out challenge this year...)

Anything else to add that I missed... and knowing the members here, there are never enough ideas...

KHall
05-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Hmmm...Maybe there is a hint in this May 18th article:

Weird New NASA Rovers Really Get Around
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/futurerovers/

A scaled down version of the Athlete maybe? But then again Hopper looks like it could be loads of fun!

jpmittins
05-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Hmmm...Maybe there is a hint in this May 18th article:

Weird New NASA Rovers Really Get Around
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/futurerovers/

A scaled down version of the Athlete maybe? But then again Hopper looks like it could be loads of fun!

I don't think we would have to build those for next year, too complex for most teams. But they do look extra awesome!

amariealbrecht
05-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Im pretty sure the game is not designed yet :)
Wait until late November or early December
...but honestly chill with your team and participate in off season events
not the whole season of FIRST should be the build season...its a year event so make sure that you enjoy it for what it is :)

GaryVoshol
05-21-2009, 06:21 AM
Im pretty sure the game is not designed yet :)
I'm pretty sure it's in the final stages of design. I know the FLL game is usually in full development at the time of Atlanta; Scott Evans the chief game designer always has to shift his brain around the current rules at the World Festival and next year's rules that he's living.
Wait until late November or early DecemberReal honest-to-goodness official clues usually appear mid to late December (depending on the complexity of the clue distribution - for example the IR sensor had to be sent out a bit earlier than a usual clue would be released.) But I'm sure there's vague unofficial "clues" floating around out there from time to time - so vague that we don't even recognize them as clues until after the game is announced.

bobwrit
05-22-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm pretty sure it's in the final stages of design. I know the FLL game is usually in full development at the time of Atlanta;

I don't think the FRC GDC moves quite that fast(mainly because dave hasn't started an official suggestion thread yet.). I think that mid-november is where they finish the design of the game(then they start writing rules, cough cough bumpers...).