PDA

View Full Version : pic: 1323 Thinks Pink

R.C.
07-23-2009, 03:02 AM
[cdm-description=photo]34135[/cdm-description]

Akash Rastogi
07-23-2009, 03:03 AM
Which wood did you go with in the end, RC?

Turned out really nice, better than I thought it would. I honestly can't believe how nice your renders turn out, its really beautiful.

sgreco
07-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Wow, that's a sick skid steer. I'm liking it.

Can't wait for specs.

Custom wheels?

Is there a way to get inside the extrusion to access the wheels for things like chain?

R.C.
07-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Wow, that's a sick skid steer. I'm liking it.

Can't wait for specs.

Custom wheels?

Is there a way to get inside the extrusion to access the wheels for things like chain?

Specs are up and the there is a slot under the Chassis Rails to slide wheels into. Max Wheel size is 6 inch. There are also notches cut out to put in chain.

The Wheels are custom, they are these: EWCP Wheel
(http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/34040)
Akash, the wood board was a tough one. Thanks to Sean I went to Baltic Birch, but I have another type of wood in mind for season ;)

sgreco
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
The weight is impressive, especially given 4 motors and a 2 stage tranny. I'm liking the wood too. I'm guesssing the 2 stage transmissions are custom too, Have you potsed them on CD? If not please do, they look nice.

Akash, the wood board was a tough one. Thanks to Sean I went to Baltic Birch, but I have another type of wood in mind for season ;)

I hope your not stealing my teams plan for a bamboo robot...:D

Lowfategg
07-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Its already been done, I cant remember the team number but there was one last year (2008).

Jeff K.
07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
It's good to explore more natural means for robots. Wood is an excellent tool if implemented nicely and holds advantages over other materials like polycarb or aluminum. The battery looks awfully cozy in the back though. How is the weight distribution front-rear?

Akash Rastogi
07-23-2009, 01:24 PM
The weight is impressive, especially given 4 motors and a 2 stage tranny. I'm liking the wood too. I'm guesssing the 2 stage transmissions are custom too, Have you potsed them on CD? If not please do, they look nice.

We might not be posting them up until after build. But if you'd like to see them please PM.

sdcantrell56
07-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Looks sick man. I definitely love your renders. Glad I could have a bit of an influence on you, and I love your implementation of the EWCP transmission.

AndyB
07-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Very nice render. Background could use some work, everything else looks great though.

I'm assuming the crossbars in the front and back are just welded on.

I'm also assuming the support rails would run across the middle? What did you have in mind for those, just a couple 2x1 extrusions welded in place?

What prompted you to put both the trannies and the battery in the very back?

R.C.
07-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Very nice render. Background could use some work, everything else looks great though.

I'm assuming the crossbars in the front and back are just welded on.

I'm also assuming the support rails would run across the middle? What did you have in mind for those, just a couple 2x1 extrusions welded in place?

What prompted you to put both the trannies and the battery in the very back?

Nice to hear from you Andy. The crossbars are welded on and pretty much our frame will be welded as it has been for the past 4 years. You nailed the extrusion part right:

-one in the back and front
-one in the middle maybe two

The reason for the trannies in the back along with the battery is because if you look closely enough at the center wheel. There is an arc bolt pattern that I've CNC'd into the rail. (The add on plate is not shown, I forgot to add it on). We used that pattern this year and it works great (even with the slippery surface for a 1/16 drop). You can adjust the drop between a no drop or a 1/4 inch, 1/16th increments. So I put the trannies in the back with a direct drive. The battery is in the back because I don't have anything to put on top.

It depends, If the game or design I was making was a forklift, the battery would be fine. But If it was something that extruded beyone the frame like an arm. I may move it a bit forward. It all depends.

Here's a pic of A wood DriveTrain made my Team 418, just to show the use of wood:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/31598

-RC

AdamHeard
07-23-2009, 05:36 PM
If the wood is rigidly attached to the frame along it's length, you could probably get away with no internal cross members.

Also, You appear to be using 6" wheels, which is fne; but I think you could save a substantial amount of weight by going smaller (and keep the same ground clearance by shifting the wheels down).

For season, I'd ditch the adjustable center drop and go with a value you know works, saves some parts and weight.

Scott Morgan
07-23-2009, 06:32 PM
If the wood is rigidly attached to the frame along it's length, you could probably get away with no internal cross members.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think Pink uses any cross internal members on their robots.

Cory
07-24-2009, 06:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think Pink uses any cross internal members on their robots.

They use their belly pan as their cross bracing.

MrForbes
07-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Looks good, just replace all that blue stuff with brown stuff and you'll be done!

(with a lot of redesign)

Aren_Hill
07-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Im really waiting for you guys (1726) to start incorporating bamboo, you've taken on being the naturalists of FIRST :p

MrForbes
07-24-2009, 11:43 PM
If bamboo were available at the local Ace hardware store....

they have 5'x5' sheets of Baltic Birch in 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 thicknesses

IBdrummer
07-25-2009, 01:20 AM
I would've thought it was one of ours if it was pink ;)