PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 Lakes Regional 2010

Chris is me
10-22-2009, 04:32 PM
1714 just registered for 10,000 Lakes! Hopefully we can defend our title from last year and get to keep playing with and against some wonderful teams. Who else is returning to this great event?

(By the way, if you're a Wisconsin team, I'd HIGHLY recommend the event; it's one of the most well run events I've ever been to in FIRST, with really great teams)

Jeff Pahl
10-22-2009, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=Chris is me;879316]1714 just registered for 10,000 Lakes! Hopefully we can defend our title from last year and get to keep playing with and against some wonderful teams. Who else is returning to this great event?
[\QUOTE]

Yea! A team with a sub 2000 number :) {that makes 1 for the regional so far}

Glad to see you guys are coming back this year!

2530 & 2861 will both be back again this year, too.

And I should be there as Lead Inspector, I hope....

Maybe the snow will be gone by then

Chris is me
10-23-2009, 06:16 PM
I doubt it. Missed it by only a few days last year.

So for a run down of teams from the list so far, the Wisconsin crew, bar 93, is returning, with 1714, 2062, and 2826 (man would that have been a dream alliance or what). A lot of prominent WI teams are going to North Star.

New out of state teams include 2704 (which appears to be a reformed 2741, but with the same school, dunno what's going on there), 2022 IRS, 2817 (switching over from North Star last year), and rookie team 3227 also from Memphis. Looks to be yet another very competitive regional for the Rookie All Star award (a team that won neither Rookie All Star nor Rookie Inspiration won the RI nationally to give you an idea of the "rookie depth" of this region, a lot of great starts here).

Also worth noting is the return of the entire Winning and Finalist Alliances as well as the Rookie All Star and EI winners from before. Of the medal-ers, only 1986 has not returned.

Wiifi
10-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Our team is certainly looking forward to returning!! And especially seeing our alliance partners from last year! I (along with 2 of our mentors) have completely re-formed our team this year. We now have more members, an actual structure, and we will actually be designing our robot in CAD this year (yay!). Anyways we are definitely looking forward to competing, and seeing all of the wonderful teams that come to the Minnesota Regional! :D

big1boom
10-24-2009, 07:06 PM
2022 is looking forward to the 10000 lakes regional. I have heard good things and it sounds like a great way to spend part of spring break.

Vikesrock
10-24-2009, 09:27 PM
10k Lakes has now reached the currently open capacity.

Looks like 2194 is returning to Minnesota this year.

vivek16
10-25-2009, 07:25 PM
We shall be back as well.

J93Wagner
10-25-2009, 07:43 PM
So for a run down of teams from the list so far, the Wisconsin crew, bar 93, is returning, with 1714, 2062, and 2826 (man would that have been a dream alliance or what). A lot of prominent WI teams are going to North Star.

:( I hate to break the news, but Team 93 (N.E.W. Apple Corps) is not returning to the 10k Lakes Regional this year. This is only because it occurs during our spring break and we won't have the teacher support to come because they all plan on taking vacations. :P So instead we're going to the Buckeye Regional in Ohio. I wish we were going to Minnesota but I guess it just isn't going to happen. At the very least we'll keep up our Gracious Professionalism spirit! Good luck to you and Wave Robotics. (I will try to get together a group to watch the live cast, maybe)

Wiifi
10-25-2009, 08:23 PM
:( I hate to break the news, but Team 93 (N.E.W. Apple Corps) is not returning to the 10k Lakes Regional this year. This is only because it occurs during our spring break and we won't have the teacher support to come because they all plan on taking vacations. :P So instead we're going to the Buckeye Regional in Ohio. I wish we were going to Minnesota but I guess it just isn't going to happen. At the very least we'll keep up our Gracious Professionalism spirit! Good luck to you and Wave Robotics. (I will try to get together a group to watch the live cast, maybe)

Well I guess team 2470 will have to find their own polycoord this year :P. Good luck in Ohio! (and thanks for all the help last year!)

J93Wagner
10-25-2009, 08:34 PM
lol, I heard about that during qualifying matchs. Well, I guess we had to do something with the massive amount of polychord we stripped off our 'bot. Good huntin' (for awards and you are very much welcome).

Jeff Pahl
10-25-2009, 11:06 PM
and we will actually be designing our robot in CAD this year (yay!).

If I only had a dollar for every time I've heard that said :)

Tyler Olds
10-25-2009, 11:38 PM
2826 will be back again for another exciting year! I am very glad to see that 2194 will be comming back to 10k after missing last year to represent the WI teams! I am also very excited that 2500 herobotics will be attending this regional again. They beyond blew me away with their enthuasium and spirit! I hope that they will be up for doing their dance again this year!

keehun
10-26-2009, 12:06 AM
:( I hate to break the news, but Team 93 (N.E.W. Apple Corps) is not returning to the 10k Lakes Regional this year.

Team 2502 will dearly miss you guys!! You guys really were supportive of us like none other and we learned a lot from it!

Akash Rastogi
10-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Look for 2502 to make some strong moves in 10K. They have a little bit of shall I say, coastal, influences this year. ;)

EDIT: Wow Keehun, it is way too weird that you posted while I was typing lol

Chris is me
10-26-2009, 04:06 AM
Hey, Akash, stop that! I was hoping they'd be underdogs so I could draft them in Fantasy FIRST then relish in the free points in technical awards and high event placing of teams like 2470 and 2502. In my mind, they are the "rising stars" of the event. Of course, it's entirely possible some MN teams hasven't been visiting Delphi but are making huge strides in their programs like these teams. I'm not one to make super broad predicitons before games come out (well, I am), but one of those two teams will be in the event finals, and at least one will walk away with some kind of trophy this year. :)

Man, now you guys have got me all pumped for an event that's not only nearly half a year away, but one I'm not even certain I can attend. How could you guys? :P

Sunshine
10-26-2009, 08:57 AM
As noted, Team 2062, the C.O.R.E. will be there and we look forward to seeing all of our new friends from Minnesota, 'eh.

I think that Moore Robotics should make a plexi-glass Axe similar to the Paul Bunyan axe. I'm sure you get my drift. ::safety:: :D

Let the games begin ................

Tyler Olds
10-26-2009, 02:35 PM
As noted, Team 2062, the C.O.R.E. will be there and we look forward to seeing all of our new friends from Minnesota, 'eh.

I think that Moore Robotics should make a plexi-glass Axe similar to the Paul Bunyan axe. I'm sure you get my drift. ::safety:: :D

Let the games begin ................

The axe would be a fantastic idea. We could definately fit it into the awards ceremony!!!! We could give the axe to the winning alliance captain and engrave the team numbers of the alliance on the axe. They would hold on to it for the year and bring it back and present it to the winning team next year.

Chris is me
10-26-2009, 06:49 PM
That would certainly be cool. Especially because Wisconsin's upping Minnesota 2-1 right now :D. When you say Wisconsin, you've said it all! If my understanding of plastics is correct it would be trivial to laser engrave team numbers into an acrylic axe. :)

Though I can see it now... decline after decline just so that teams have a chance at holding the axe for the whole year... this might require some thought :P

J93Wagner
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
That would certainly be cool. Especially because Wisconsin's upping Minnesota 2-1 right now :D. When you say Wisconsin, you've said it all!

Please explain.

Chris is me
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Please explain.

Two of the 10,000 Lakes regional winners from last year were from Wisconsin, and the last was from Minnesota. So Wisconsin has a 2-1 "lead" on Minnesota.

J93Wagner
10-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Oh... wow. I can't believe I didn't get it earlier.

Wiifi
10-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Two of the 10,000 Lakes regional winners from last year were from Wisconsin, and the last was from Minnesota. So Wisconsin has a 2-1 "lead" on Minnesota.

If I remember correctly didn't the same thing happen at the North Star, or was that 2 Florida teams and 1 Minnesota?

Vikesrock
10-26-2009, 08:21 PM
If I remember correctly didn't the same thing happen at the North Star, or was that 2 Florida teams and 1 Minnesota?

Northstar had Florida (79), Wisconsin (2970), and Minnesota (2549) represented on the winning alliance.

The first Minnesota regional had Wisconsin (93), Iowa (525), and Minnesota (2518) making up the winning alliance.

Wiifi
10-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Ah so the total score for Minnesota is

Iowa - 1
Florida - 1
Minnesota - 3
Wisconsin - 4

Hey Minnesota! Wisconsin is beating us at our own regional!!! :P

There are (at the moment) 76 teams in Minnesota and only 28 in Wisconsin!

edit: 100th post! yay!

Jeff Pahl
10-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey Minnesota! Wisconsin is beating us at our own regional!!! :P

But if none of the Wisconsin teams pass inspection until Friday afternoon maybe we can catch up :p

That could be arranged.....

-Jeff

PS: I actually grew up in Wisconsin...

Tyler Olds
10-27-2009, 12:12 AM
If my understanding of plastics is correct it would be trivial to laser engrave team numbers into an acrylic axe. :)

But you could easilly use a mill or an engraving tool..............

But if none of the Wisconsin teams pass inspection until Friday afternoon maybe we can catch up :p

That could be arranged.....

-Jeff

PS: I actually grew up in Wisconsin...

So are you Packers, or a Brett fan?!?! Who will you be rooting for on Sunday?
FYI: This answer could effect how I introduce you during opening ceremonies :p

Jeff Pahl
10-27-2009, 08:01 PM
So are you Packers, or a Brett fan?!?! Who will you be rooting for on Sunday?
FYI: This answer could effect how I introduce you during opening ceremonies :p

I refuse to discuss religous issues on this forum :)

J93Wagner
10-27-2009, 09:06 PM
I refuse to discuss religous issues on this forum :)

Oh, so the Packers are now some sort of cult? Odd, I already thought they were mainstream in WI.

Chris is me
10-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Oh, so the Packers are now some sort of cult? Odd, I already thought they were mainstream in WI.

At the risk of ruining the joke, I think he's referring to sports teams being watched / rooted for religiously...

J93Wagner
10-27-2009, 09:12 PM
At the risk of ruining the joke, I think he's referring to sports teams being watched / rooted for religiously...

That you did, and you definately got the joke.

Wiifi
10-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Personally I don't like the Vikings...

or the Packers

:)

Jeff Pahl
10-27-2009, 09:25 PM
OK... I grew up in WI, but on the other side of the state, 30 miles from MN. The part of the state where about half the people are Packer fans, and half are Vikings fans. Where they have fist fights about it outside the bars :)

Most of my summers growing up were spent with family in MN. One of the schools I now mentor is actually where my mother graduated from high school. For the record, I've been a Vikings fan since they used to play outside (yes, I know, I'm old....). I did always enjoy watching Farve play for the Packers as long as they were not playing the Vikings.

I've also been a Twins fan that long. Suffered thru a lot of bad years. And moved to Atlanta 2 weeks before the 91 world series. Was not terribly popular at work just then :)

I realize y'all from the other side of the state don't understand that along the river, Packers / Vikings really is a religious discussion :) and on both sides of the river. There are a lot of Packer fans here in Rochester.

And I expect a really good game on Sunday, no matter who wins.

Now I guess we should get back to the whole robot thing.....

AndyB
10-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Personally I love the Vikings. The inferiority of the Packers is not a religious belief... it's scientific fact.

That being said, I'm glad the regionals aren't held in the HHH Metrodump/Humpty Dumpty Dome. :)

J93Wagner
10-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Sure, as long as more teams announce they are coming here on CD

Oh yeah that's right Team 93 is going to OH (Buckeye Regional)
Good luck to the rest of you

EDIT: Darn, too late after the post I wanted to be after. Shucks

XaulZan11
10-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Personally I love the Vikings. The inferiority of the Packers is not a religious belief... it's scientific fact.

You have just earned 171 #1 position on 1732's picking list as long as I'm involved with them. I don't care if you just have a boxbot or a cardboard box, we'll pick you first!

Jeff Pahl
10-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Sure, as long as more teams announce they are coming here on CD

Oh yeah that's right Team 93 is going to OH (Buckeye Regional)
Good luck to the rest of you

And we will all miss you!!

But I understand the reason. We have the same problem with spring break, and most likely will have about half the people here (in state) that we will have in Milwaukee.

See you guys in Milwaukee.

Trent B
10-27-2009, 09:55 PM
I am happy to see 1714 again at 10k lakes among others, and sad 93 can't be there to mentor us again.

Chris you better show up to the regional... :D

J93Wagner
10-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I am happy to see 1714 again at 10k lakes among others, and sad 93 can't be there to mentor us again.

Who ever said we had to be there? Didn't your team get one of those handouts that I gave out that if a team needed help (in any way) they could contact us and we would help if we could?

Trent B
10-27-2009, 11:32 PM
More so the presence at the competition and the ability to easily get access to tools and spare parts at any moment.

We probably did get one of those sheets but it was probably eaten by the floor in our pit. :ahh:

J93Wagner
10-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Ah, well I always did hear the compliments from most teams about our tools(bandsaw, drill press, hand drills, drill bits, you name we got it, except a mini-lathe) and you and the other teams were most certainly welcome.

Ask 1714 for help if you really need it, they're the best candidate to take our place at MN. Especially since they have won the RCA in Milwaukee two years in a row! :)

Chris is me
10-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Ah, well I always did hear the compliments from most teams about our tools(bandsaw, drill press, hand drills, drill bits, you name we got it, except a mini-lathe) and you and the other teams were most certainly welcome.

Ask 1714 for help if you really need it, they're the best candidate to take our place at MN. Especially since they have won the RCA in Milwaukee two years in a row! :)

Still can't top you guys, if it weren't for 93 we wouldn't have won the regional. Machining a new 25 inch long intake roller for us when our old one was bent and wouldn't easily be fixed tends to do that. :)

Jinx
10-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I cant wait for competition, i love it so much, jus meeting new ppl is good enough for me, even if my team doesnt get very far i will feel accomplished in knowing new friends

Tyler Olds
10-29-2009, 01:58 AM

Lol when I was on 93 in 2001, we brought a mini-lathe on the plane down to Epcot. I don't know if you would get away with that post 9/11 now lol.

Wiifi
10-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Lol when I was on 93 in 2001, we brought a mini-lathe on the plane down to Epcot. I don't know if you would get away with that post 9/11 now lol.

I would love to see what what would happen if you even brought one of those into the airport now.

Jeff Pahl
10-29-2009, 10:34 AM

I would love to see what what would happen if you even brought one of those into the airport now.

I still fly stuff like that (and worse). Just pack it so that the TSA inspectors can easily get it open and packed back the way you want it packed. The "foam in place" packing material where they just lift off the top piece seems to work pretty well. Don't even think about trying to carry it on.

Although with the obscene baggage charges the airlines are gouging their customers with nowdays, for stuff like that it's cheaper to ship it UPS ground to meet you there if you have the extra few days to do that.

2530 had a (very) mini lathe at 10,000 Lakes last year, and will again this year. Sherline 4000 short bed, but it's amazing what you can make on it when you have nothing else :) (Disclamer- it's my personal lathe, if you are at the competition and need to lathe something, stop by the inspection station and I'll get you hooked up with them)