PDA

View Full Version : "What is may not be"

DonRotolo
12-29-2009, 10:02 AM
An influential member of the GDC has put the title statement onto CD recently, but hidden in plain sight.

My interpretation is: A depiction of reality can be misinterpreted. Think it through again.

Tom Line
12-29-2009, 10:11 AM
The entire quote is:

SII Nothing is ahat it appears to be. What is may not be

People have played with the first sentence and rearranged the words, but it seems to match pretty well with the second grouping in theme and I'm not going to believe that Dave's giving us an anagram with THAT many letters. Re: See the discussion in "Dave's Game Hint" :)

Jared Russell
12-29-2009, 10:17 AM
I think "ahat" was supposed to be "what"...

The morse code for 'a' (.-) and 'w' (.--) are very similar and it is easy for a typo to turn one into the other.

EricVanWyk
12-29-2009, 10:18 AM
I don't want to speculate too wildly, but a certain member of the GDC may or may not have recently visited DEKA to discuss our system for projecting a user interface in the area above the device. It makes for a much more compact "off-state" of the system. Unfortunately, it was still staining everything an odd yellow the last time I worked on it...

dtengineering
12-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Many previous game clues have been directing us more towards the name of the game rather than any particular aspect of the game.

Perhaps rather than taking Dave's morse message literally, it is the dots, dashes and slashes that are the clue.

Perhaps "Dash and Slash" or something like that is the game name...?

All will be revealed in time, of course, but I do appreciate the effort that goes into both making... and futiely attempting to decipher... the clues.

Jason

Rion Atkinson
12-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Many previous game clues have been directing us more towards the name of the game rather than any particular aspect of the game.

Perhaps rather than taking Dave's morse message literally, it is the dots, dashes and slashes that are the clue.

All will be revealed in time, of course, but I do appreciate the effort that goes into both making... and futiely attempting to decipher... the clues.

Jason

Or... OR... OR.. Dot and Dash! It's is Tic Tac Toe! Just kidding. :yikes:

billbo911
12-29-2009, 02:17 PM

Jason

One of last year's hints was a picture of a Moon Fish. Thus a Moon or Lunar themed game.

If we follow Jason's logic, and I like his logic, this hint could be a "coupling", a "bracket", a "mount" or maybe a "connector".

OK, run with it.......

DMetalKong
12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Running with the philosophical idea I found this (http://www.ecu.edu/phil/vebernot.html) page which happens to mention “Simple Inferential Internalism” (SII). The thing that caught my attention was this quote

The conclusion is that SII requires too much...of anyone; even the logically sophisticated. Our warrant for belief in the conclusions of our inferences cannot depend on an antecedently justified belief in the truth-conduciveness of those inferences. “At some point is must be possible simply to move between thoughts in a way that generates justified belief.” (Boghossian, 2001, 639)

Which seems to fit in with the "Nothing is what it appears to be" motif.

Akash Rastogi
12-29-2009, 03:40 PM
My hunch was that, simply, the game will involve more communication to and from the robot during the match. This could include robot:robot communication, drive:robot, driver:driver. Morse code is communicated through light sources as well, so I would simply assume use of the camera and a light source like 06 and 07.

gallo26
12-29-2009, 04:07 PM
My hunch was that, simply, the game will involve more communication to and from the robot during the match. This could include robot:robot communication, drive:robot, driver:driver. Morse code is communicated through light sources as well, so I would simply assume use of the camera and a light source like 06 and 07.

Akash.... That makes the most sense out of everything I was thinking! I can't believe i never thought of that. It's not a hint, and not as it appears, but it just means more communication. Wow!

I was thinking it was like the 2008 anagram. A hint about the game. You know how the GDC says it's not a hint, but it really is. Dean is pretty good at that. But wow!

rsisk
12-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Morse code is communicated through light sources as well, so I would simply assume use of the camera and a light source like 06 and 07.

OK, this will bring all the HAMs out of the woodwork conducting code seminars :yikes:

Chris is me
12-29-2009, 04:31 PM
You know, I'm still a little surpised that "This is not a hint" fit within the first several letters... enough to get me to think it was not a coincidence that the phrase he's been choosing could be interpreted in more than one way.

GGCO
12-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Hmmmm.... I don't know if I can buy into the clue being a symbol. When ever you symbolize something it is usually prone to error. But I do like the idea of robot:robot/driver:robot communication - it would make sense with the new Classmate PC netbooks they're including with the kit. What about driver:driver communication??:eek:

JesseK
12-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Is this another one of those game hint jokes?

hipsterjr
12-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I think "ahat" was supposed to be "what"...

The morse code for 'a' (.-) and 'w' (.--) are very similar and it is easy for a typo to turn one into the other.

I went back and checked, you are right, the 'a' is indeed a 'w'

Here is what I got so far
"SII NO THI NI SA HATIA PPEAR STO BE WHAT ISMAYNOTBE"

This is not a hint ; appears to be what is may not be

Beta Version
12-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Oh no, dave's getting existential on us.

Do I retreat and say that this is just Dave tormenting me?

Or do I start pondering the ability for a robot to self-actually discern the difference between the true reality of its surroundings and the sensory input it receives?

I dont know what to do.

jmanela
12-29-2009, 05:44 PM
I dont know what to do.

wait 10 days, 19 hours, and 01 minute

Karibou
12-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, let me throw this out there. Am I the only one who thinks that he's purposely doing this to throw us off track (no pun intended)? The first three letters seem totally random. We started this whole Morse Code thing the day after the initial "...". Who else thinks that he's just playing right into what we want him to do?

Akash Rastogi
12-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Well, let me throw this out there. Am I the only one who thinks that he's purposely doing this to throw us off track (no pun intended)? The first three letters seem totally random. We started this whole Morse Code thing the day after the initial "...". Who else thinks that he's just playing right into what we want him to do?

Nope, that was the first thing I said in the other "dave's game hint" thread.

It was clearly stated a few times by one of us "partially sane" people that it said "This is not a hint"

JaneYoung
12-29-2009, 05:55 PM
I think - once a riddle maker, always a riddle maker and in Dave's case, this is an understatement. The more he can perplex, the happier he is.

jerry w
12-29-2009, 06:03 PM
I put this in the hint#1 thread.
But should put it here.
The second sentence is "What is may not be."
Using an anagram of these letters results in "Maybe As hint Two."

Thus we might need to decode the first sentence to find hint #2??
:yikes:

DonRotolo
12-29-2009, 06:37 PM
"SII NO THI NI SA HATIA PPEAR STO BE WHAT ISMAYNOTBE"

This is not a hint ; appears to be what is may not be

I see "SII NOTHIN(G) IS (W)HAT I(T) APPEARS TO BE, WHAT IS MAY NOT BE."

I suspect those two initial "I"s, perhaps they are "E" instead?

Oh, and folks who use Code don't ever call them dots and dashes - instead they are "Dit" and Dah", since this is what they sound like. Like:

Dahdit Dididahdahdah Didit Didahdit Dahdahdidah

.-

AcesJames
12-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh, and folks who use Code don't ever call them dots and dashes - instead they are "Dit" and Dah", since this is what they sound like. Like:

.-

So perhaps Dave wasn't saying anything at all? Perhaps he was singing us a song or a rhythm? A song whose title or lyrics could lead us to a hint?

Karibou
12-29-2009, 06:43 PM

.-
So perhaps Dave wasn't saying anything at all? Perhaps he was singing us a song or a rhythm? A song whose title or lyrics could lead us to a hint?

We're one of a kind
Like dip di-dip--
Oh, wait. Maybe it's not that song :rolleyes:

JaneYoung
12-30-2009, 09:00 AM
I did a search for SII and saw this -

http://www.exploratorium.edu/learning_studio/sii/

JesseK
12-30-2009, 09:56 AM
I think - once a riddle maker, always a riddle maker and in Dave's case, this is an understatement. The more he can perplex, the happier he is.

This is my thinking exactly. Dave's "hint" is that the 2010 game will not be the same as the 2009 game. It was one of those "ummm, duh!?" moments.

Elgin Clock
12-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Shall we call this clue, "Lavery's Guillotine" as opposed to "Hume's Guillotine"? ;)

Taylor
12-30-2009, 12:01 PM

.-

Anybody else see this and get a certain Police song stuck in their heads?

Regarding "what is may not be" I see a change in tense. To put it another way, the way things are now, they may not be the same in the future. Perhaps the field, or some component, dynamically changes throughout the game.

billbo911
12-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Anybody else see this and get a certain Police song stuck in their heads?

Regarding "what is may not be" I see a change in tense. To put it another way, the way things are now, they may not be the same in the future. Perhaps the field, or some component, dynamically changes throughout the game.

This may also be another way of saying "Read the rules".
Maybe some BIG changes this year?

terryo
12-30-2009, 03:12 PM
This may also be another way of saying "Read the rules".
Maybe some BIG changes this year?

looking at the letter grouping of the first sentence:

no/thi/ngisw/hatita/ppear/sto/be

it looks like these could be anagrammed (is that a word?)

on / hit / swing / ???then it goes south for me,

at a hit / paper / sot / be

Anyway, hitting something then swinging around sounds like fun!

pandamonium
12-30-2009, 03:48 PM
the name of the game is Optical Illusion
use of cameras is not necessary but highly rewarded. Giving an Illusion of a winning team early on but "what is may not be" because of an end game bonus.

jerry w
12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
looking at the letter grouping of the first sentence:

no/thi/ngisw/hatita/ppear/sto/be

it looks like these could be anagrammed (is that a word?)

on / hit / swing / ???then it goes south for me,

at a hit / paper / sot / be

Anyway, hitting something then swinging around sounds like fun!

or....
"raise Pit Stop seat High Obtain Win"

Karibou
12-30-2009, 11:55 PM
or....

That's rather interesting, actually. Rearranged...

Raise high, pit stop, seat, obtain win.

So...elevate something, stop it, let it sit there, and you win the round?

pandamonium
12-31-2009, 02:08 PM
or....

also: raise high TIP stop seat obtain win
tip is pit backwards

dodar
12-31-2009, 02:18 PM
that reminds me of the end game of 2007: Rack'N'Roll like how if you lifted your alliance high you got points

Jacob Paikoff
12-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Dave posted yesterday and added a W to the end of What is may not be

so maybe he's not done...

DonRotolo
12-31-2009, 03:31 PM
so maybe he's not done...
He's never quite "done".

And he gets great enjoyment out of messing with us; he gets more and more subtle with his efforts, just to see if we get it.

I, for one, support this tomfoolery. It's fun to watch. :)

Chris is me
12-31-2009, 03:34 PM
I wonder if, at some point, Dave just decided to randomly put letters at the end of his posts. Like, once he finished / finishes his messages, he just hit random dashes and dots.

Akash Rastogi
12-31-2009, 03:35 PM
I wonder if, at some point, Dave just decided to randomly put letters at the end of his posts. Like, once he finished / finishes his messages, he just hit random dashes and dots.

Hahahaha I could see that.

*Dave thinking to self*
"Hmm...I think I'll drop a few Xs and Qs along with some Zs today, that'll throw 'em off"

dlavery
12-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Hahahaha I could see that.

*Dave thinking to self*
"Hmm...I think I'll drop a few Xs and Qs along with some Zs today, that'll throw 'em off"

Or not. :D

.-

rtfgnow
12-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Interestingly the last two letters Dave posted were "HA". Do you find something funny Dave?

Karibou
12-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Interestingly the last two letters Dave posted were "HA". Do you find something funny Dave?
It's going to spell out "HAHA, GOTCHA!"

...or maybe it won't anymore, because I just said that.

JayZ
12-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Dave, I'd like to buy a vowel. I've got like 5 bucks in my pocket. :D

IndySam
12-31-2009, 05:51 PM
You do all know that Dave is screwing with you guys.

I can see him leaning back and eating a doughnut warmed by rendering computers and grinning like the Cheshire Cat

rtfgnow
12-31-2009, 05:55 PM
-.. .- ...- . / ... -.-. .-. . .-- .. -. --. / .-- .. - .... / ..- ... ..--.. / .. / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - / -.. .-. . .- -- / --- ..-. / .. - .-.-.- / -..-. ... .- .-. -.-. .- ... --

DonRotolo
01-01-2010, 05:15 PM
I wonder if, at some point, Dave just decided to randomly put letters at the end of his posts. Like, once he finished / finishes his messages, he just hit random dashes and dots.Sometimes. Not necessarily random; often just a dot, or maybe a dash, because he doesn't like the way vB removes blank lines at the bottom of posts, so he'll put a dot there to keep the spacing looking nice. Then somewhere he got the idea of Morse Code (groan).

-.. .- ...- . / ... -.-. .-. . .-- .. -. --. / .-- .. - .... / ..- ... ..--.. / .. / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - / -.. .-. . .- -- / --- ..-. / .. - .-.-.- / -..-. ... .- .-. -.-. .- ... --

Translation: Dave screwing with us? I wouldn't dream it. /sarcasm

Kage
01-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I dont know what to think yet...
All i know is that almost everyone here will most likeley be able to communicate in morse code after this kickoff season hahaha

".... . -.-- --..-- / .-- .... .- - / -.. --- / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .- -. - / ..-. --- .-. / .-.. ..- -. -.-. .... ..--.."

".. -.. -.- .-.-.- / -- .- -.-- -... . / ... --- -- . / .--. .. --.. --.. .-"

"... --- ..- -. -.. ... / --. --- --- -.. "

haha, masters of the morse

DonRotolo
01-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Way off topic, but many Hams can read that with little effort.

Pre-college students: Think of the possibilities of learning a new language, one that can be delivered with just some tapping, or a flashing light, one which not many people understand. Like pig latin or gibberish, but far more versatile.

Good communication is the key to anything.

dqmot17
01-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Are you guys counting the dots and dashes he has done in 2008 in this?

terryo
01-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Are you guys counting the dots and dashes he has done in 2008 in this?

OK- I know it's too close to kickoff to get hung up on the remaining dots and dashes (since it doesn't look like another hint is forthcoming) but I've been hung up on them anyway. As of 1/3, the last post from Dave, #2952, it contained a '-' . The post count has since increased to 2956 over the last 4 days but the last post showing (on 'view-all posts from this member') is still the #2952 from 1/3?

Does anyone know what happened to the posts 2953 - 2956?
Or maybe I should just get back to work and wait for Saturday.:mad:

Discounting the 4 posts I can't find, the clue reads:
"What is may not be what it".......

JesseK
01-05-2010, 12:41 PM
... seems?

EricH
01-05-2010, 02:15 PM
2008 and before, you'd get the following: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...AAAAAAAAAAAAA

He likes to have a little blank space at the end of his posts, but the site won't let him unless there's text there, so he puts the trailing dot (or trailing Morse). The trailing Morse only started this fall.

As for the other posts, there are some hidden forums on CD, and my guess is that Dave posted in those. This would account for those posts not showing up. There is also a decent chance that none of those posts have anything trailing, as they wouldn't cause maximum confusion.

Kage
01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
I haver been trying to learn the morse code. I set most of the icons on my computer into morse code with a slash before them so I could actually do it.

I have learned most of the vowels, and am now starting on the consonants like s, t, c, h, m, n, and other frequently used consonants

I have set my status on facebook in morse over the past few days and laughed at my friends when they try and solve it, and get it wrong somehow lol

One of my dreams has always been to be multilingual. I have been doing bad in German in school, and my girlfriend has tried to teach me some greek to no avail...I guess I have been destined for morse code haha

I think the "What it is may not be what it seems" is a perfectly logical direction for the remaining posts to take it in...

PAR_WIG1350
01-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Regarding Morse code, I got: "SIN//GIA/ISOBATMTEAI"
followed by a lot of 'E's.
looks like Latin, minus some letters here and there.

As of 01/02/10

GBilletdeaux930
01-05-2010, 11:57 PM
or....

anyone else think encryption key for this one?

Kage
01-07-2010, 02:51 PM
If at the kickoff someone says "this is the point where we ususally give you the encryption key to open up your manuals...but this year, its UP TO YOU to find it..."

then Ill know exactly where to come

viper110110
01-08-2010, 08:41 AM
what is may not be what is has been?

meaning we are going to have another huge change this year, doing something that has never been done before (ice, water, small woodland creatures)

viper110110
01-08-2010, 09:10 AM
The decryption test says "Below is the 2010 FRC Game Hint"

then there is the picture, but what is may not be so we continue further

"Good luck, and Go Teams!"

seems like nothing at first, but maybe theres something to do with the capital on "Go"

dodar
01-08-2010, 09:14 AM
where is everyone finding the decryption test?

Taylor
01-08-2010, 09:18 AM
The decryption test says "Below is the 2010 FRC Game Hint"

then there is the picture, but what is may not be so we continue further

"Good luck, and Go Teams!"

seems like nothing at first, but maybe theres something to do with the capital on "Go"

Good luck and Go Teams! is the usual way for FRC blasts to end.

where is everyone finding the decryption test?
http://usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/content.aspx?id=452
It's the first option on the page.