PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Team 2883's robot

Rusty shaklferd
02-09-2010, 11:49 AM
These are a few photos of our robot for this seasons match. The robot is designed to drive over bumps and has a kicker for shooting the soccer balls. Enjoy :)

JamesCH95
02-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Holy lots of brackets and bolts batman!

How much does it weigh? Looks very clean.:)

Chris is me
02-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Cool.

Have you guys climbed a bump with your robot? Does it make it over? How well? At angles?

Rusty shaklferd
02-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Thank you :), and weighs probably about 55-60 lbs. right now.

coldfusion1279
02-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Shiny :)

The utilization of the HDPE wheels is an interesting new development for FIRST this year. We never had these wheels before last year... at least they weren't provided and therefore never used. How's she drive?

Rusty shaklferd
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Cool.

Have you guys climbed a bump with your robot? Does it make it over? How well? At angles?

Yes it gets over well, we are waiting at the moment for our track system to come in, then it will manuver very well over with it.

Rusty shaklferd
02-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Shiny :)

The utilization of the HDPE wheels is an interesting new development for FIRST this year. We never had these wheels before last year... at least they weren't provided and therefore never used. How's she drive?

It rides like a cadillac and stings like a bemur :P

Rusty shaklferd
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Also the reason for all the bolts is to limit the amount of welds this year for our robot, as of now we have no welds on the robot.

GaryVoshol
02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this thing's frame would never pass inspection as it sits now. There are just so many things wrong with it. Did you ever see the terms FRAME PERIMETER and BUMPER PERIMETER in the rules? Or look at rule <R07> at all?

Plus as pictured you are getting a penalty for <G46>.

Kage
02-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Thats a cool idea using only nuts and bolts...
My team has had our frame welded every year for as long as I can remember...and then we have skeletons of welded frames from even before that lol

I can see the advantages:
no cracked welds
perfectly straight members
extra rigitity...

our robot is all crooked :|
because there were so many small parts to weld together this year...
but it still drives straight as an arrow =D

Racer26
02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this thing's frame would never pass inspection as it sits now. There are just so many things wrong with it. Did you ever see the terms FRAME PERIMETER and BUMPER PERIMETER in the rules? Or look at rule <R07> at all?

I question how this is definitively violating <R07>. They can easily attach bumpers to it in the appropriate zone, and its unclear whether that frame is 28x38 and thus the bolts etc are or are not clear of the 28x38 dimension.

I concur on <G46>.

My $0.02:

Nuts and bolts are HEAVY. Welds are a much more weight efficient joinery method.

JamesCH95
02-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Thats a cool idea using only nuts and bolts...
My team has had our frame welded every year for as long as I can remember...and then we have skeletons of welded frames from even before that lol

I can see the advantages:
no cracked welds
perfectly straight members
extra rigitity...

our robot is all crooked :|
because there were so many small parts to weld together this year...
but it still drives straight as an arrow =D

I disagree with the advantages you listed. Welded frames are virtually always lighter and stiffer than fastened versions. Good welds won't crack. Good jigging and fit-up can virtually eliminate warping.

Rusty shaklferd
02-09-2010, 12:36 PM

Okay, well this robot is not finished yet so we don't have a cover, we know of these rules and our robot will not break these rules when finished. Also somone commented about the nuts and bolts, yes we know they are going to weigh more then welds but, it is something we wanted to go with with this year to avoid issues and it is working well as of now.

Chris is me
02-09-2010, 12:43 PM
I question how this is definitively violating <R07>. They can easily attach bumpers to it in the appropriate zone, and its unclear whether that frame is 28x38 and thus the bolts etc are or are not clear of the 28x38 dimension.

Those bolts would be sticking in well past the wood backing of the bumper and into the noodle zone. Also, the left and right sides are not flush with the frame.

Rusty shaklferd
02-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Those bolts would be sticking in well past the wood backing of the bumper and into the noodle zone. Also, the left and right sides are not flush with the frame.

we will be cutting the bolts down so that won't be an issue

BOSS
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
WE are well under the frame size and the the bumpers attach onto the frame the sides are in well over a inch, there will be top that will be angled, placed on it to make the total height 17.5 inches. the arm for hoisting the bot is still to be added. Still have lots of small builds but by weight we should be 117.

wilsonmw04
02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
looks like how 2106 builds robots! is that All thread rod? All thread rod is your friend :-)

GaryVoshol
02-09-2010, 06:57 PM
WE are well under the frame size and the the bumpers attach onto the frame the sides are in well over a inch, there will be top that will be angled, placed on it to make the total height 17.5 inches. the arm for hoisting the bot is still to be added. Still have lots of small builds but by weight we should be 117.You may be well under the limits for NORMAL CONFIGURATION, but you cannot be under your own frame size. Your frame in the BUMPER ZONE defines the FRAME PERIMETER, even if it was only 12X12 inches. The ends of your frame that stand out from the sides create your FRAME PERIMETER. Stretch a string around it, and that defines where you must attach your BUMPERS. So your side BUMPERS would be hanging out an inch or so from the frame. That's not allowed.

EthanMiller
02-09-2010, 07:47 PM
1713 does something along the lines of nuts and bolts every year. That said, we can't really weld almost at all (no shop). So far it's worked pretty reasonably.

Don Wright
02-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Not to turn this into another frame perimeter thread, but...

Guys...please head Gary's warning... Even if you cut those bolts down to 0.00000000000000001" thick...they will still violate the "nothing outside the frame parameter outside the bumper zone" rule this year...

This is the problem with that ruling...most teams won't even realize that are violating it or even how...until they get to a competition...

team698
02-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Its hard to tell from your pics but wont your ball go too far into the frame? I'm going to double check now but it seems like the limit is 2 inches.

Rusty shaklferd
02-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Its hard to tell from your pics but wont your ball go too far into the frame? I'm going to double check now but it seems like the limit is 2 inches.

We know of the 2 inches rule, and we are designing a stopper to prevent it from going past the rule regulation