PDA

View Full Version : How has robotics affected you?

Adam.garcia
02-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Hello,

I have been wondering something for a long time. I want to ask people how Robotics has affected their lives. Thanks everyone and I can't wait until competition.

scottydoh
02-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Oh wow. We could all probably go one forever about how FIRST has changed our lives.

I'll share just a little bit of my story. A little background first;

Im an architecture student, and for those of you that don't know about architecture school, we have to build and draw alot of complex models and designs. This often leads to alot of sleepless nights. I pride myself in getting at least 8 hours of sleep every night while my classmates can be up for almost 72 hours straight, all while still having every ounce of my work done and stress free. A large majority of my class is openly jealous of how calm and in control I am during the hectic critique (presentation) weeks.

I attribute all of my time and stress managment as well as my fabrication and public speaking skills to the experiences Ive had in FIRST.

dtengineering
02-14-2010, 10:05 PM
I've managed to convince my wife that Valentine's Day is February 24th. :)

Jason

jamie_1930
02-14-2010, 10:24 PM
First off I had to spotlight what dtengineering said, but on with what you've asked. This is my third year in FIRST FRC and throughout the previous years I've worked mainly on mechanical, but have knowledge in electrical and programming work as well, which has caused me to already start becoming multi-disciplined in engineering. Where this has probably the greatest effect is that, after hearing that this existed, I would like to pursue a career as a Mechatronic engineer. In addition to this if anyone has any information on becoming a Mechatronic engineer, or recommendations of good schools, feel free to email me.

Phoenix Spud
02-14-2010, 10:56 PM
FIRST has transformed my life. Through both FLL and FRC, I have gone from a shy little girl, to a confident young lady. I can now speak in front of 100s or 1,000s of people without any problem. While I have always been "geeky," FIRST has shown me that geeks can be cool, and that all geeks will go on to rule the world. (There is a quote out there, "Be nice to geeks in school, cause someday they are going to be your boss" I now believe it to be true.) I feel confident in my leadership, wiring, programming, writing, communicating, graphic design, public speaking, safety, and blogging skills. I know that with a good amount of hard work, there is almost nothing I can't do!!!

Go FIRST!!!

hotapay42
02-14-2010, 11:30 PM
i fractured my spine last last fall, but luckily i came across robotics. now im co-captain, with another year to go, and it was one of the greatest things that ever happened to me :yikes:

O'Sancheski
02-15-2010, 06:24 AM
robotics has affected my life in a big way... learning new things is probably the biggest thing... i have learned so much about drive trains, pneumatics, gear ratios, and meeing new friends... and also another big thing is that i met my girlfriend on the team...

tomy
02-15-2010, 06:47 AM
i used to be the nerd of my grade with the good grades and the person who got no sleep. now with FRC i got people who understand me and 4 hours of sleep works for all of us

Ian Curtis
02-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Strangely, FLL had a significantly larger impact on my life than FRC did. :cool:

The Maine School of Science and Math (Maine's Magnet School) runs a summer camp for middle school kids and they gave a summer camp scholarship to the team that won the Director's award (which combines your scores from all other areas). We won the award, but I had no interest in going to camp (for reasons I know can't remember). My sister went though, and loved it, and through a long silly story, I ended up in Limestone Maine for the last 3 years of high school. I loved it, and I got far more out of it than I ever would've at my original high school.

Conveniently, we also got a 2 week "January Term" that we could spend doing internships that fell on the first two weeks of build, and February break always coincided with the mad dash prior to ship date. :)

Jon236
02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
I've managed to convince my wife that Valentine's Day is February 24th. :)

Jason

My problem is that our wedding anniversary is Feb 14th! But since I'm the Controls mentor, we are still waiting for something to wire. So we went out for dinner while the team ate pizza.

My wife is great; she supports me in all my FIRST activities. I would be cautious with marriages < 10 years, however!

waialua359
02-15-2010, 03:43 PM
What life?
Ever since we joined first in 1999, I dont know what people do in January and February anymore, and many weeknights, weekends, and holidays.

I know of some that gave up FIRST because they got married and/or had kids.
You need an understanding wife, and for that, I'm grateful for.:D

buddyb
02-15-2010, 11:47 PM
How has robotics changed my life? Well, I certainly wouldn't be here at past midnight, one hour after getting home from robotics, if I wasn't in robotics. :P

Seriously, though, it's helped me become much more of a team player (six weeks to build, program, design, etc. a robot. Definitely not a 'solo' project) and really advanced my programming skills. A year and a half ago (pre-robotics), my programming level was about at the 'Arrays are awesome! And Java is fun!' point. Now, pointers and the astounding number of ways to abuse the 'const' keyword in C++ don't confuse me (too much. XD).

Also, I really enjoy helping others learn and grow and succeed now, whereas before robotics, I really could care less.

Overall, it's been a largely positive impact on my life. Of course, my bed dislikes being alone for more than 18 hours each day during FRC, but somehow I think it'll get over it. ;)

O'Sancheski
02-16-2010, 06:33 AM
How has robotics changed my life? Well, I certainly wouldn't be here at past midnight, one hour after getting home from robotics, if I wasn't in robotics. :P

Seriously, though, it's helped me become much more of a team player (six weeks to build, program, design, etc. a robot. Definitely not a 'solo' project) and really advanced my programming skills. A year and a half ago (pre-robotics), my programming level was about at the 'Arrays are awesome! And Java is fun!' point. Now, pointers and the astounding number of ways to abuse the 'const' keyword in C++ don't confuse me (too much. XD).

Also, I really enjoy helping others learn and grow and succeed now, whereas before robotics, I really could care less.

Overall, it's been a largely positive impact on my life. Of course, my bed dislikes being alone for more than 18 hours each day during FRC, but somehow I think it'll get over it. ;)

that is so true... i mean who would ever think of after getting home from something at 1 in the morning would you then go onto a forum for an hour... my friends outside of robotics think i'm just crazy

Chris is me
02-16-2010, 07:19 AM
I am not that big a fan of talking about "life changing events" when it hasn't been very long and I haven't lived a very long life, but I can say with certainty that because I elected to join my sophomore year, I figured out what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, got into a college I never would have considered, developed vital social skills, found (and lost) love, and in general lived, all directly because of FIRST.

Ben Martin
02-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Because of FIRST, I ended up choosing industrial engineering over mechanical engineering. But more than that, I made some good friends and just had an overall good time in high school. It probably swayed my college decision somewhat too, since I chose to go to Purdue University partially because of Purdue FIRST Programs.

sp33chy
02-16-2010, 09:42 PM
FIRST helped me realise sleeping is for losers. Thanks FIRST!

BJT
02-16-2010, 09:58 PM
I haven't gone ice fishing in about 5 years.

Pavan Dave
02-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Robotics has done many things.

In the beginning it was my way of passing time, but it became something I loved. It taught me that anything is possible if you have the resources, and if you don't it is still teaching me how to obtain those resources and even work without them.

It has given me a chance to network, meet new people across borders (domestic and international), and pass time with people who think the way I do, without having to explain odd jokes or interesting technological news and updates in great detail.

It has made me efficient. I have become more involved in the things i pursue, and it has helped me stay sane in the world of 20 hour differential equations homework assignments not to exclude dealing with the politics of a University, School and other organizations.

It has given me the resources to find answers. It has given me the resources to answer questions and do more research to find better answers.

It has made me more aware of when I speak, whom I speak to, how I speak, without leaving out what I really want to say.... [but many will disagree]

It was one of many things that turned into another thing that turned into another which has made me a very successful leader of my school, my fraternity and in my community.

But most importantly, Robotics has given me the opportunity to argue with world class engineers, to even prove wrong some world class engineers, to work with world class engineers, but most importantly it has given me the opportunity to call many of these world class engineers my friends.

There is more to write but unfortunately differential equations must take priority to the internet.

Pavan Davé

jmanela
02-18-2010, 09:33 PM
First has made me re-think what my future will be. Instead of becoming a doctor, i want to become a software engineer.

First has given me my first real job, programming an Electronic Medical Record application.

First has helped me visualize physics in real-world terms.

Captain Slacker
02-18-2010, 11:19 PM
I went into robotics not having touched a tool in my life and wanting to be a hair dresser. Now I want to be an engineer and I brought physics to my school. This has been the most incredible experience of my life.

TPNigl
02-20-2010, 10:12 PM
FIRST has been such a great experience. I had no clue how motors and most tools worked, how to program, and many other things. Through many, MANY, long hours, amazing engineers and mentors, and trial and error, I have been able to confirm my love for science and engineering and will definitely hold all the values FIRST has taught me in my high school life.

Jagbots(Mark)
02-21-2010, 09:14 PM
At first I joined the Robotics team as a way to pass time and maybe get something that looks good on my college resume. Even in my first year I'm starting to feel like it's changing my life. Our team has had lots of ups and downs and through our hardships, I've learned a lot.

simpsonboy77
02-21-2010, 10:43 PM
I first joined robotics in 2005, my freshman year. At that time I didn't know much of anything, other than I liked computers a bit. I only knew 1 language at the time: QBASIC.

My sophomore year I took programming 1 and 2. Unfortunately the programmers didn't pass their knowledge down, and and all 3 of them graduated that year. In 2007, this forced me to learn C, a completely new language to me, in 2 weeks. Oh we also needed a PID control for the robot. Before then I thought it would be simple to control. If its to the left go full speed to the right, and vice versa. This causes gearboxes to implode in case you were wondering :p. But boy do you learn fast when the entire team is counting on you. The code stabilized 2 days before ship, but mechanical issues plagued us through the regional.

Senior year I learned so much about signal processing and how to get a better SNR. We ended up winning the NYC regional, and making it to a DOUBLE TIE BREAKER in the quarter finals at Archimedes. I still remember how I felt when the scoreboard came up. This is really what sealed the deal for me to major in electrical engineering. FIRST also got me a full ride to college, for all 4 years. I still mentor the team, not because of the scholarship, but because FIRST is addictive.

This isn't all FIRST did for me. The summer before my freshman college year, I interned at ANADIGICS, our sponsor. I did some really fun stuff there. My boss was also the engineer that helped at the school, so he knew exactly what work to give me. It would be challenging, but fun.

And above all: I learned how to learn.

tomy
02-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I can honestly say that because of first i have lost weight in a good way.

coldfusion1279
02-23-2010, 07:35 PM
I was a student on my team when we first started in 2004.

I am currently a PhD candidate in Materials Science and Engineering.

Robotics connects those two dots. I drive back weekly during build season to help, and I am in constant communication with the other mentors/students. I have a strong connection to the team because it got me started. It's too fulfilling to give up.

ks_mumupsi
02-25-2010, 06:15 PM
There is soo much to be said for here.. FIRST plays such a huge role in the first 3 months of our lives its difficult to see Jan. - Mar. without FIRST!

Anyways so for me FIRST is responsible for everything I am and where I stand today... started in 2000 on team 56 as a student, didnt know what it would hold, at first I thought it was just another school trip to Disney. But 10 years later I guess I was very wrong about.

3 years on the team taught me more about what I wanted to do in college, than I could have asked for.I didnt know what biomedical eng. was at that time as it was still early developmental field and today its one of the more popular majors.. I wouldnt have selected it if not for robotics.

Joined Ethicon our sponsor as a Coop in my senior year or R&D, learned how much industry is different from academia. Helped me decide between a PhD and industry position. I got a second Coop working to develop my current team, 2016, and helping them in their sophmore year. Learning to be a mentor and being an example for the students..

Now I am full time at J&J, still continuing with 2016 and still trying to stay involved with it. Theres so much more to say but i dont want to write a bible here.. There are 100s of examples similar to mine...

Wildcat
02-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks to FIRST, i actually socialize with other people IN REAL LIFE

JoeXIII'007
02-27-2010, 12:28 PM
So let's see... FIRST walked into my life in 7th Grade... and changed my career hopes in way that I can make a career goal vs. grade plot with it:

7th - Engineer
8th - Still an engineer, something with auto
9th - Electrical engineer
10th - CAD/Programmer mix
11th - Computer Programming
12th - Computer Science
Freshman in College - Same
Sophomore - Wanting to mix something in there
Junior @ umich - Informatics (CompSci blended with Statistics) under the data mining/info analysis track, loving it and loving the potential shelf life of this one.

My experiences in FIRST definitely had a hand in charting this course. Enough said. :cool:

gren737
03-02-2010, 05:49 PM
I'll bite because my life the way it is now is directly related to FIRST.

I joined as a soph in highschool in 1995. I was planning on being a pastry chef. Yes, if you start adding it up, I have now been involved in FIRST for 1/2 of my life!
Junior year, I had a "moment" at 4:00am machining sprokets. For you young folks out there, we weren't allowed to buy metal sprockets, only nylon ones. If you wanted metal you had to make them.

This was when I decided I wanted to be an engineer.

I went to WPI because they had a FIRST team and my mentor went there.

Graduated in 2001 and was hired by the company that sponsored me in high school, my former mentor became my boss.

In 2004 I was on Monster Garage which I will directly attribute to my experience in FIRST because without FIRST I never would have become interested in building cars, nor would I have had the skills to be on the show.

I know work for Black and Decker and with Greg Needel started team 2775 down here in TN last year.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Sarah

SteveGPage
03-02-2010, 08:54 PM
What life?
Ever since we joined first in 1999, I dont know what people do in January and February anymore, and many weeknights, weekends, and holidays.

I know of some that gave up FIRST because they got married and/or had kids.
You need an understanding wife, and for that, I'm grateful for.:D

My wife of 24+ years proudly wears the label of "Robotics Widow" during January - March of each year!

I got involved because my then Freshman son wanted to join, so I figured it was a good Father-Son thing to do. He is now a Junior in college (so hasn't been on the team for 3 years), but here I am as a Mentor for my 7th season. I have loved every minute of it - watching kids go through the program, seeing them mature and become young adults - Engineers, Mathematicians, Computer Scientists, etc... all because of this program!

Rapt0r9
03-10-2010, 12:55 AM
FIRST has given me the direction to realize what I want to do in my life. I've been in FRC for 6 years; 4 as a student and 2 as a mentor. The best years of my FRC experience where those two years that I spent as a mentor. I've seen so many students grow and develop through this program. At the end of the day, that's what FIRST is all about. It's about the students. I've found that, while I could be an engineer, I want to do something where I can mentor students and introduce them into field that they never imagined they could study.

Many of the students on my team this past year had no experience in any field of robotics. In six short weeks, they were able to be given some rough directions and dimensions and would be able to create a part or mechanism with out me looking over their shoulder. They gained the confidence to be able to present their ideas and question the ideas that are already on the table. They learned to work as a team, to delegate work, and to work with deadlines.

I could go on for ever listing everything that the students on my team have learned, but I am pretty sure every other mentor out there already knows the type of impact this program has on the young people who partake in it. FIRST has given me the drive to do something significant with my career.

HashemReza
03-10-2010, 01:17 AM
I would count the ways, but I would spend days sitting here in my chair.

I've been a part of first since August '08, and my god, I'm a completely different person. I was always considered very mature for my age (mostly the facial hair at 16 and the 6'+ stature, but also for a mature sense of right and wrong, as well as focus on school). But with FIRST...It managed to hit me at the exactly right time to have maximum effect. I was searching for a real calling...I needed a means by which to achieve everything I look to in life, and it was handed to me on a silver platter.

Thinking about it still gives me chills. The amazement at what I've been able to do with my team still shocks me, and the fact that my priorities have changed so drastically is intense for me to consider. I was the Varsity 1st baseman during my first full season with my team, wouldn't you know...I didn't come back this year. Now I'm a team leader, the younger members seem to have taken a liking to me (thank god), and I'm confident. Really, truly confident. In myself, those around me, and my future. Whatever happens, I'll always be a part of this program and a part of the lives of those I've met through it. I can only hope that five, ten, fifteen years down the road, I've managed to accomplish everything that the wonderful mentors and teachers that i've met have been able to.

Something tells me I'm in love with this. Something tells me I never want to give it up. Either that makes me overly attached, or passionate...however you wish to look at it ;)

kjolana1124
03-21-2010, 01:13 AM
Above all else, FIRST gave me confidence.

I had moved to Avon to start 8th grade. And, even though I had been in the two a year by the time I started high school, starting in middle school is always tough. Most people have friends by then and aren't as willing to accept new ones (middle school drama/cliques are always the worst), so I still felt a little bit like an outsider.

Joining FIRST, although I didn't know a lot about programming or building, helped me realize that it was okay that I was a little strange. There were even times where I felt slightly out of place on my team because I'm not mechanical or whatnot. But, that's alright. The main purpose of this program is to make people see the strength in themselves, and how science and engineering can assist in that. And for me, it did all that and then some. FIRST changed me from a hyperactive girl with no real direction into a really dedicated, confident student who's not only afraid to give a major business presentation in front of hundreds of people, but to also get my hands dirty and fix a broken part if I need to.

Naturally, this is an extremely condensed version of my feelings, and I could really write a novel about it. But, for the sake of your boredom and my exhaustion, I'll spare you :P

jennifer_1547
03-21-2010, 11:08 AM
FIRST has affected me because before I never wanted to go into engineering. Now it's what I'm looking to persue in University. It has also taught me a lot of life lessons, which will be invaluable to me. It's shown me that anything is possible as long as you put your mind to it.

jmanela
03-21-2010, 08:54 PM
FIRST has given me an amazing opportunity to do what i love to do and learn to program as well. I walked in to FIRST with almost no experience in programming computers, i just knew how to run different types of software extremely efficiently. I then learned how to program in LabView, which inspired me to learn C++, which inspired me to learn Java, which got me interested in Visual Basic, and then I relearned HTML, and before i knew it, I had a job programming EMR (Electronic Medical Record) software for my first real job.

Siri
03-22-2010, 04:21 PM
As a student, FIRST gave me my life back--or perhaps more accurately, it made me want to take my life back. After my father was killed, I spent several years losing the battle with PTSD until robotics helped remind me what life was worth. It ignited my obses--passion, helped me realize me dream, let me mature almost exponentially, and introduced me to some truly amazing people who helped fill the hole in my family life. I couldn't have asked for more; I couldn't even have thought to.

As a mentor on the other hand, it's made me insane. Well, perhaps that actually started when I was a student. ;)

All that's on top of the ridiculously cool (not to mention useful) engineering, teamwork, leadership, and life skills I've gained and the overall fun of FIRST, of course.

henryBsick
03-22-2010, 04:43 PM
I came to Northeastern University.
I've participated in their AWESOME co-op program working for great companies like Philips Color Kinetics and Digital Lumens.
I'm also very excited to say that as of last Friday, I will be working at Design Continuum for my 3rd and final co-op position this July.

Summary:
Through the exposure Northeastern had in robotics when I was a HS student I found about their co-op program and have been working for great employers and making better connections ever since.

Thanks FIRST

MarkoRamius1086
03-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Robotics has given me the confidence and knowledge I may need in coming years. I now know how to work the lathe, the mill, recently the basics of the hand punch, and many other minor manufacturing tools. I know how do use CAD and other AutoDesk software at a proficient level! Because of FIRST I have the skill and knowledge to mentor FLL and FTC kids on how to program, engineer, and produce robots!

I have to thank many people for this...

My mother for starting a FLL team at my middle school in 6th grade!

Our coach Mr. Clarke for including and trusting me, and keeping my silly self around!

And finally our Flexicell buddy Jumper for being a great mentor and teaching me many, many things about engineering and machining!

scarletrain
03-25-2010, 08:27 AM
I am in sales and marketing on my team. I have managed to come more out of my "shell" by talking to people about and promoting our team. Through robotics, I have been able to experience new things that I never thought I would have liked before. I feel that this has been one of the best experiences of my life.

progal
03-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Robotics has affected my life a lot. I've not only learned a lot but it's a lot of fun!

And I love the people that I've met. :)

I always feel the adrenaline rush during competitions! :D

MarkoRamius1086
03-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Good point Shelby, robotics has also helped me make new friends... in fact I believe it has for everyone on our team. This year really helped us get closer together!

(OOHH!!!!! The adrenaline! Pity though, only the drivers really get adrenaline this year... Last year I was the human player... and it was the adrenaline that really got me into the game. This year its really all about keeping your cool.)

delsaner
03-25-2010, 10:35 AM
These are few of the multiple effects of FIRST Robotics on my life.

1) Social. In middle-school, before I joined FIRST, I hardly ever talked to other people. I was that awkward kid that sat in that one seat in the classroom. After FIRST, I have made countless friends, and basically "came out of my shell".

2) Education. I was never that into school and science before FIRST. Now, I strive to take on as much as I can, and do so much better in school than before. I never imagined me attempting to take 3 AP classes for senior year.

3) College. I never thought of what I would do for a living. After robotics, I cant imagine myself getting a degree and a job in anything other than engineering.

Story of my life. =]

Dan-o
03-25-2010, 02:29 PM
I want to begin for apologizing for the inevitable length of this post.

In the spring of 2002, I was a high school junior in Middletown, Delaware. Much to my surprise, I was asked by my chemistry teacher to attend an assembly to learn more about a local robotics team. I was excited, not for the content of the presentation, but for the fact that it was going to prevent me from having to do a day's worth of mindless oxidation/reduction reaction calculations.

I entered the auditorium where about 100 other students were sitting and was immediately captured by a pair of sizeable, bright green robots sitting on the stage. After a barrage of video clips and some demonstrations from the previous years' robots, the head mentor - John Larock - gave all of us an open invitation to learn more and to apply for the 2003 team at an open house being held at the team headquarters, which was located in Wilmington (30 minutes north). I was ecstatic about this program. I used to love robotics competitions that, at that time, were popular on TV. I encouraged a few other classmates, but I was only recruit from Middletown. It could have been easy to make the assumption the team was disappointed with the small showing of support.

Shortly after school let out for the summer, I eagerly attended the open house and learned about team 365 - The Miracle Workerz - and about FIRST. They stressed the multi-faceted program and their goals to inspire young engineers and help their community, but I only cared about 1 thing: wining a robotics competition. See, I was barely 16 and had a long list of character flaws (immature, brash, and over-competitive to name just a few). I was also eager to do everything within my control to help the team succeed (on the field).

After 4-5 months of MOE University (a series of courses where students learn to use machines, prototype mechanisms, and build a finished robot) the 2003 FIRST season finally started. The game was "Stack Attack" and despite it being my first year on the team, I applied to become the team's driver. I memorized the manual, drew up strategic plays in history class, and practiced driving an extra chassis whenever the CIM's were cool enough. I was named head driver and continued to be vigilant in my training. I also made time (by coming in at least 6 nights a week - every week) to help design the drive train for the front 2 wheels.

My ability to work on machinery was limited to changing the oil in my truck. Beyond that, I had absolutely no experience or even knowledge beyond high school physics of how to "make stuff work." I'll never forget when an engineering mentor - Joe Perrotto - in a 5 minute conversation handed me spec sheets on a CIM motor and a Bosch motor as well as an MMC manual and told me to design a gearbox. He saw that my eyes were as big as grapefruits and further explained that he wanted the CIM to go through a gearbox so it would spin at the same rate as the Bosch motor and that I should create this gear-down by using 2 stages. He told me that this was my responsibility, that he had confidence in me, and that I could only go to him for help (so another mentor wouldn't inadvertantly give me all the answers). It's moments like these whose impact is often under-estimated.

By competition time, I had grown in my technical knowledge, but I still lacked the maturity that the program required. I took losses too personally and I unknowingly upset several mentors and teammates. I was so upset after a match at championships where our partner ran their autonomous program despite agreeing not to (thus we were DQ'd for the match for burning a hole in the carpet) that I spouted off "I would have thrown the match if I would have known they got us DQ'd." Just typing out the words I said 7 years ago gives me an empty feeling in the pit of my stomach. I started to realize that this response was horrible and unwarranted and I sat down and spoke with the coaches. They urged me to go and speak with the other team and try to clear things up. I was so amazed with how nice they were to me when I went to apologize to them, despite my rude behavior less than an hour prior. When you're on a team, it's important to remember that your actions and lapses in judgement reflect as much on your team as they do on yourself. I embarrassed my team and I let a large number of mentors and teammates down when I decided to express my emotions inappropriately.

It wasn't until a few years later that I truly realized the importance of my experiences with MOE and FIRST. I maintain that my acting out at championships was the first time I took accountability for an action that I probably could gotten away with. To this day, I have never broken 100 in golf because I count every mis-hit and penalty stroke due in part to the integrity that was instilled in me by a bunch of mentors in lime-green shirts. I walked into the DuPont conference room for the MOE open house with an interest in math and science and walked out a year later with an enthusiasm for engineering. I went to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering. I followed my interests to Louisiana and now work as a reliability engineer for industrial equipment in the petroleum and chemical industries. I was taught the importance of mentoring young people. Since my time with MOE, I helped form a team at my former high school, mentored 2 teams in other states, and now judge at least 1 regional a year.

My journey with FIRST is not over. This year, I was reminded of the true spirit of FIRST when a team failed to get inspected until the Saturday morning of their regional. On Saturday, in 3 matches, they moved a total of 15 feet. When I looked at the drive team, I saw 2 teenagers who spent months working every waking moment high-fiving one another and jumping up and down because "it moved." I am inspired by every FIRST student and mentor that I meet. I am appreciative of the personal and professional development the program has afforded me. Most importantly, I am thankful to very pacient mentors who molded a very difficult child into a (hopefully) less difficult adult with a promising future.

I again apologize if I went a lot deeper than was intended. I've been wanting to write a lot of these things for a long time and finally felt I had the opportunity. Thank you for reading my story.

GGCO
03-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Probably one of the most exciting things that happened to me because of robotics was the formation of a new FRC team in my neighborhood. Several mentors/students from 904 (a team that I was a member on until recently) decided that we were going to form our own team, and in late October we formed the COMETS (http://comets.firstobjective.org/). We actually just attended our first competition where we won the "Rookie All-Star Award" AND placed 7th overall! I can't wait to see what we're able to accomplish in the years to come.

My roles on this team are: web developer, programmer, and "marketing guy".

When I was a member of 904, one of my duties was to recruit sponsors for the team. After doing a short "demo" of the robot to a new sponsor, I was approached by the president of the company who encouraged me to apply for an internship at his company for the following year. This year they are also a sponsor (http://comets.firstobjective.org/sponsors.html) of 3357.

Good news. This month I was interviewed at the company for 2 hours, and yesterday I received word that I am one of their interns for the summer of 2010!

So that is what robotics has done for me. I am still learning many new skills, and solving many new problems. It seems like each year I continue to learn new things. If you had said to me when I first joined 904 that two years later I would be setting up my own server, coding websites, and interning at West Michigan's second largest software development company, I would have thought you were crazy. However, because of a lot of hard work, really good FRC mentors, and the desire to do my best, I am doing all of those things.

Thing2_1723
03-26-2010, 10:13 PM
I was very suicidal until I joined FIRST. I didn't have a lot of confidence, all my "friends" were fake friends, and I felt my will to live slowly slipping away. I didn't have much going for me. And then I got to high school and my pltw teacher got me to join robotics and I had real friends, I wasn't afraid to be myself and I found something to live for :)

vrchards
03-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Robotics life can harm our personal life.I know one of the person who has robots and one day he was ill and he ask for medicines and that information was not fed in the robots so he came in trouble because he was asking for asthma medicines. so Human power is great power don't trust on Robotics power.