PDA

View Full Version : How many parts are there in your robot assembly?

spacegy4
02-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Team 639's CAD model of our robot (Link to render) (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=921520&postcount=17) consists of 503 parts. (this was determined by the count of total occurrences in the active document: That being the assembly) How many does your team's robot assembly have?

big1boom
02-17-2010, 01:16 AM
Right now we are at 580 parts for the final robot, not including bolts.

ravichauhan
02-17-2010, 06:45 AM
489 without the belts or fasteners

meganmc
02-20-2010, 04:43 PM
How is it that you have so many parts? This is my second year being in charge of CAD and I am the only one working on it, causuing me to have numerous issues. Autodesk continues to tell me that I am running out of memory in the assembly. I have started shrinkwrapping individual parts and making a new assembly everytime I add a new part. Do you have any suggestions?

spacegy4
02-20-2010, 04:46 PM
How is it that you have so many parts? This is my second year being in charge of CAD and I am the only one working on it, causuing me to have numerous issues. Autodesk continues to tell me that I am running out of memory in the assembly. I have started shrinkwrapping individual parts and making a new assembly everytime I add a new part. Do you have any suggestions?

It would probably be the case that you don't have enough system RAM. What are your system specs?

the only one working on it? That is really too bad man. I feel bad for you. Are you at least getting mentor help?

meganmc
02-20-2010, 05:08 PM
The main hard drive on the school computer is only a 75GB one with a 2GB RAM. I am not real sure what mine is on my laptop but I have the same issues on three different computers. I finally gave up and started doing sub-assemblies inside sub-assemblies.

And yes, it is bad. No, I am not really getting much mentor help. We have our main electrical engineer that knows some SolidWorks, so he helps when he can. Our main sponsor helps out a little bit too, but in general, I am the main one working on this. There are a few people that are trying to learn from me before I leave, but mostly, they work on the robot or non-robotic construction(i.e. field, bumbers).

Do you have any reccomendations of what I can do? I am quickly running out of space, and I am worried that this will not be completed.

spacegy4
02-20-2010, 05:19 PM
The main hard drive on the school computer is only a 75GB one with a 2GB RAM. I am not real sure what mine is on my laptop but I have the same issues on three different computers. I finally gave up and started doing sub-assemblies inside sub-assemblies.

And yes, it is bad. No, I am not really getting much mentor help. We have our main electrical engineer that knows some SolidWorks, so he helps when he can. Our main sponsor helps out a little bit too, but in general, I am the main one working on this. There are a few people that are trying to learn from me before I leave, but mostly, they work on the robot or non-robotic construction(i.e. field, bumbers).

Do you have any reccomendations of what I can do? I am quickly running out of space, and I am worried that this will not be completed.

Running out of memory in the assembly? Does it mention virtual memory? I would try closing all the other programs that you are not using to free up memory for inventor.

meganmc
02-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Yes, the assembly. And now that I am looking, I am seeing that it does mention virtual memory. The exact phrasing of the pop-up that comes up is: "Your Inventor session is using 82% of available virtual memory." Then it follows with ways to reduce the memory usage(like shrinkwrapping).

I will try closing the internet that Mr. President of our team opened on this computer while I was looking at the robot.

You are a lifesaver! Thank you so much!

spacegy4
02-20-2010, 05:35 PM
If you use firefox that may be contributing to it. It has a memory leak problem that can result in it accumulating memory over time

By using control alt delete to open the task manager you can see how much memory each task is using.

meganmc
02-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Ok. Thank you again! I will probably be posting on here again if I need more help.

spacegy4
02-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Ok. Thank you again! I will probably be posting on here again if I need more help.

It might make more sense for you to send me a private message or post a new thread. So we don't hijack this thread for any longer.

mplanchard
02-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Create a folder and put all your fasteners in a folder. Then suppress the folder when you are working on subassemblies.

You can use Window Select and the isolate the area of the assembly you want to work with

Open assemblies in light weight

Marie

angelawence11
02-26-2010, 08:26 PM
wayyy to many to count. haha if you include bolts and such we have well over 500

Jeff 801
02-26-2010, 10:10 PM
We currently have 2445 parts