hamosad1657
02-27-2010, 03:51 AM
Here is our new module for the 2010 Breakaway game:
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8791/teaser.gif
What do you think?

EricH
02-27-2010, 03:59 AM
Interesting...

I'm thinking that that sound you just heard was everyone who'll need to defend you cheering. An omni-drive swerve is going to need to be really fast at rotating its drive modules to avoid being moved around like a hockey puck in the Winter Olympics.

It's definitely an original concept, but I think you may want to put traction wheels in one or more modules to avoid the defense.

I'm curious as to why you chose the concept. Extra maneuverability, the ability to "drift" around corners, some reason I can't see?

lenny8
02-27-2010, 04:03 AM
Interesting...

I'm thinking that that sound you just heard was everyone who'll need to defend you cheering.

I was thinking the same thing. I hope you guys are lighting fast.

Akash Rastogi
02-27-2010, 04:17 AM
Same concerns as Eric, but nevertheless a unique drive concept.

Eric- perhaps the new ruling in update 14 might benefit teams like this. Wouldn't you say?

hamosad1657
02-27-2010, 04:47 AM
The omni wheels are in the back of the robot. In the front we got traction wheels, Because we wanted to get extra maneuverability.

Jon236
02-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Looking forward to seeing it perform in Tel Aviv!

EricH
02-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Eric- perhaps the new ruling in update 14 might benefit teams like this. Wouldn't you say?
It'll lead to more hit-and-run defense, which omniwheels are vulnerable to. Less vulnerable than pinning, but still could certainly be devastating to scoring chances.

Glad to know that half of the modules have traction wheels. If I might make a suggestion, you may want a "shooting" mode where the wheels look like this:
_ _
| |

with the omnis turned at 90 degrees to the rest of the robot.

This should help limit the damage caused by hit-and-run defense on the omni end. It may also be tough to do with your setup, but may be worth looking into.

Galum
02-27-2010, 01:55 PM
We're changing the gear ratio of the steering motors in order to achieve faster steering and hopefully preventing vulnerability to "hit and run" or pinning defenses. Worst case - we'll change it back, we just figured it'll be worth the shot.

The main advantage of having omni-wheels there instead of last year's rover wheels (or other slick wheels) is that the "head to head" traction is higher, so we can actually execute defense. On the other hand if pushed from the side their traction is virtually non-existent. On the other other hand, pure crab drives (which against my better judgment, this is) main flaw is rotation/turning, with omni wheels at one end we can rotate fairly smoothly which balances it out.

Again, we'll see how it goes ;-)